Dobutamine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Dobutamine: Dobutrex
Dobutamine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of dobutamine during breastfeeding. Because of its poor oral bioavailability and short half-life, any dobutamine in milk is unlikely to affect the infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. Unlike dopamine, dobutamine infusion does not affect serum prolactin concentration in infants and in adult males. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Filippi L, Pezzati M, Poggi C et al. Dopamine versus dobutamine in very low birthweight infants: endocrine effects. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007;92:F367-71. PMID: 17329276
2. Schilling T, Grundling M, Strang CM. Effects of dopexamine, dobutamine or dopamine on prolactin and thyreotropin serum concentrations in high-risk surgical patients. Intensive Care Med. 2004;30:1127-33. PMID: 15138671
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about dobutamine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: cardiac stressing agents
Other brands: Dobutrex