Bismuth Subsalicylate use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Bismuth Subsalicylate: Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol Maximum Strength, Bismatrol, Stomach Relief, Maalox Total Relief, Kapectolin (New Formula), Helidac, Pink Bismuth, Maximum Strength Stress, Show all 24 »Peptic Relief, Stress Maximum Strength, Bismarex, Childrens Kaopectate, Kao-Tin Bismuth Subsalicylate Formula, Kaopectate Anti-Diarrheal Upset Stomach Reliever, K-Pek, Pepto-Bismol InstaCool, Percy Medicine, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, Pepto-Bismol Original Strength, Kaopectate Extra Strength, Soothe Caplets, Kola-Pectin DS
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 20, 2019.
Bismuth Subsalicylate Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because of the possibility of absorption of salicylate from the breastmilk by the infant, alternatives are preferred.
Maternal Levels. No published information was found on the use of bismuth subsalicylate during breastfeeding. Infant salicylate intake is estimated to be less than 1% of the maternal dose when both drug and metabolite are considered.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
One case report of metabolic acidosis was caused by salicylate in a 16-day old breastfed infant whose mother was taking aspirin 650 mg every 4 hours for arthritis. However, there was no measurement of salicylate in maternal serum or milk and it is unclear whether the infant had received any salicylate directly.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Lewis JH, Weingold AB and the Committee of FDA-Related Matters, American College of Gastroenterology. The use of gastrointestinal drugs during pregnancy and lactation. Am J Gastroenterol. 1985;80:912-23. PMID: 2864852
2. Levy G. Salicylate pharmacokinetics in the human neonate. In, Morselli PL, Garattini S, Sereni F, eds. Basic and therapeutic aspects of perinatal pharmacology. 1975; Raven Press: New York:319-30.
3. Clark JH, Wilson WG. A 16-day-old breast-fed infant with metabolic acidosis caused by salicylate. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1981;20:53-4. PMID: 7449246
Bismuth Subsalicylate Identification
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about bismuth subsalicylate
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 22 Reviews
- Drug class: antidiarrheals
- Bismuth subsalicylate
- Bismuth Subsalicylate Chewable Tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate Tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate Suspension
- Bismuth subsalicylate (Advanced Reading)