User Reviews for Geodon

Bipolar Disorder 102 reviews 46 medications

5.8
Summary of Geodon reviews 150 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Geodon

For Bipolar Disorder "I felt extremely woozy, nauseated, and shaky while on this medication. I had 2 trips to the ER for severe dehydration caused by the Geodon. I was so shaky I was pretty much convulsing, my heart was going crazy, and it felt like my brain was shutting down. By the time I got to the ER I could barely form sentences and very nearly blacked out. It was a terrifying experience. I felt sick the entire time taking this drug."

Geodonh8r July 23, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "When I first started any medication, I was put on Depakote and Risperdal. However the Risperdal made me gain 40 pounds in 2 months, so I had to get off of it. After that I was put on Geodon for my delusional behaviors and auditory hallucinations. The Geodon helped but only barely scratched the surface. They added Abilify to the mix and I was so unbelievably tired that I couldn't even walk a straight line, so they took me off the Abilify. I'm currently going back to doctor in a couple days to be put on something else. I've heard of other people getting a miracle out of Geodon, but it just didn't cut it for me."

Keeli (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on Geodon 7 years. I was extremely tired in the morning - couldn't drive. About 2 years before I stopped, I began to have pseudo-dementia. Had pseudo-Parkinsonism for 4-5 years. 6 months before I stopped I began to fall - about 40 times. Three times stitches in head and now knee problem rated 10/10 severity. Then became comatose. Husband called ambulance. Don't remember anything. When got off Geodon, dementia and pseudo-Parkinsonism went away as did the falls."

hayoi June 21, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 28 with Bipolar 1 Disorder with psychotic features, and I switched from Abilify to Geodon a couple months ago. I immediately loved it. I had more productive energy than I'd had in YEARS, but nothing verging on mania, anxiety, or restlessness. It helped both with psychotic symptoms completely, and even Bipolar depression - always the hardest to treat. I was happy, energetic, and more focused, and experienced no sedation. Unfortunately I have a history of minor heart problems--related to past meds and over-exercise in the past--and they were triggered. Tachycardia and it's symptoms, which all stopped as soon as I stopped Geodon. If I didn't have pre-existing heart problems, I would have loved to stay on it."

GreenKt1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I felt like a zombie while on this, I gained ten pounds in first week - and I am one to watch my weight! Also my hands began trembling a lot and I felt very nervous, I was always quivering when I spoke. This medicine ended up being quite scary, with a trip to the emergency room for I felt and looked like I was having a seizure, my family called paramedics and it was a dystonic reaction."

rikacee (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have kind of mixed feelings about Geodon. I have only been taking it for a few weeks. It has eliminated my psychotic features...nearly 100%. The side effects are hard for me but I have read that people get more used to it over time so I am not ready to give up on it yet. The side effects I experience are sleepiness, which is a problem at work, but not nearly as bad as Seroquel was. The other side effect that is hard for me is the shakiness it gives me. I have to take Artane, which is a drug for Parkinson's disease, but that does calm down the shakiness. Other than that, my appetite is normal, my moods are calmed down (but I also take Lamictal for that). As far as Geodon's effect on the psychotic features goes, it's amazing."

UT GUY (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon was a lifesaver at first. But after three months, I have developed leg twitches. I'm going to see my doctor on Wednesday to find out how to get off this medication. The twitching is awful."

KalexS March 21, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've had a good experience with Geodon. It has controlled my mania and I have 0 side effects. I started at 40mg. which was not doing anything and then switched doctors and am now at 120 mg. 40mg in the day and 80mg. at night. It's truly been a blessing. I also take Zoloft for depression and anxiety. Together they work well for me. My 8 year old son has just been diagnosed with bi polar and he has just started on Geodon. In the beginning, he was very drowsy, but in a matter of days, his hyperactivity, non-stop pressured speech, risky behavior and emotional meltdowns and temper tantrums have all but disappeared! We all thought he had ADHD, but so far, no more ADHD meds, just Zoloft and Geodon, and he's doing well!"

jessieinsanfrancisco (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This medicine, taken in the throes of suicidal ideation changes your thoughts, literally. After taking an additional 20mg cap, my mind wanders to other, more immediate issues such as things I can do to help myself. I start thinking about doing activities such as housework, baking, painting, and anything else that gets me back into life and out of my chair playing computer games by the hour. I think this med is miraculous in the way it draws one away from the depths of despair to functionality. I have been taking it for several years, prescribed off-brand for clinical depression and have been continually amazed that someone could create a medication that does so much good with virtually no downside. No hair loss, no weight gain."

CWR01 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I switched recently to this medicine from Latuda due to akathisia and lack of effectiveness. It has work wonders on my mood. It has paired up with Zoloft to make a solid team of an antidepressant/mood stabilizer combination. I feel like I can do much more now, my sociability has increased%u2014even my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder have been helped by it! My experience on this medicine has been better overall in the past month I've been on it than the two years I was on Latuda. The only negative side effect so far is sexual side effects."

mikrw33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This med simply did nothing for me. Had to switch back to Seroquel. Looking at taking Latuda. "

Bipolar I since 1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I have taking Geodon almost a year now for schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. I always wondered why my doctor never prescribe me anything for bipolar mania and depression but it turns out the Geodon is used for this. I can say that has helped me tremendously. Manias hardly there anymore and sexual appetite has decreased. My wants and need to shop in excess is gone almost. I do have to say though that I have major erectile dysfunction. I take 80 milligrams twice a day with food very important or doesn't absorb."

David from AZ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2015

For Autism "My daughter has autism and ADHD, she has been extremely violent from a baby. Specialists had her on Risperdal which did help initially then they added different antidepressants and also Ritalin. Once she started on the Zeldox it was nothing short of a miracle for us. After a few weeks she is functioning like a "normal" child.. We cannot believe it. Even strangers come up to us to say how good our daughter is as they have seem her before. I know that there is no "cure" for autism but after years and years of animal like behaviour and violence I can honestly say its like a miracle for us. I just hope and pray that it lasts. She has experienced dystonia with it and we have reduced it, but its like it has flicked a switch on in her brain."

Austistic Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Geodon for about four weeks. Before that I was on Quetiapine which works well but gave me horrible weight gain (their paper says 10 pounds a year average and I gained 23 in 6 week! Still eating well too!) I have had minor side effects. When I first take it, it affects my concentration. I have a hard time driving and specifically moving things like looking at the road make me sleepy. If I'm not driving (or looking at the road specifically) my tiredness seems to be much better. I have had some short term memory problems especially if I'm stressed at the same time. Other than that this med has worked well for me and is keeping my weight down. Now I just have to exercise off the 23 pound belly and thighs the quetiapine gave me."

RachelleHostler November 19, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Heart palpitations. Scarey shakey"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "After no sleeping for several days, in my mayor maniac crisis ever, I started in Geodon. It's been magical. No side effects at all. Couldn't recommend it better. Of course, is my experience."

bruja174 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Legs/ankles swell. Get more sleepless and agitated, jittery."

Anonymous October 1, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been on Geodon a few days and I can't tolerate it. I feel intoxicated, can't type very well, and am already having some involuntary movements in my face. I am not taking it tonight and will see my doctor tomorrow and request something else."

BipolarPatient September 16, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking Geodon for about 10 months now and unfortunately it has given me erectile dysfunction. I started to reduce the dosage in order to stop but not taking it affects my mood tremendously. Without it I feel hopeless, I cry a lot and it is difficult for me to get out of bed. However, I can't risk it affecting my sexual well-being (I sincerely hope it's not too late!) So I guess Geodon did not help me and my bipolar disorder."

Marvin73 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon has worked wonders for me, being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, major depression and an anxiety disorder. I take 160 mg at bedtime along with Wellbutrin in the morning and Cymbalta twice daily. I took more Geodon than the Dr recommended because I wanted it to help me sleep again, and it gave me minor twitches but I'm back to my regular dosage so I wouldn't recommend taking more than your Dr prescribes. Other than the twitches I love the medicine and would recommend it to anyone with like disorders. I've been on the medicine for almost three months."

dserpa (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Horrendous side effects: acute dystonic reaction, laryngospasm, somnolence"

ejconant (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "After having about the worst case of bipolar one you can imagine...yes I was hospitalized twice... I am a productive and absolutely a normally functioning member of society. I am in nursing school for my BSN at a very esteemed university and am married happily. The only thing I don't like about Geodon is if I'm manic and have to take it during the day instead of before bed.... I literally eat 3x as much as I normally would. Other than that this medicine has saved my life."

nursingstudent13 March 29, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "When I got on this I was self-diagnosed with depression, and tried about a dozen antidepressants without getting better. My gyno, who was prescribing, said I had to see a psychiatrist because he was scared he'd 'scramble my brain'. I was diagnosed with A-typical bipolar and put on Geodon and Lamictal. The Lamictal did nothing, but in 3 days I went from work or just being in bed the rest of the time gorging on food and not wanting to be bothered to feeling much much better. I started on 30mg and am now on 80, about 10 years later. I highly recommend this for bipolar. I've lately started getting into bipolar depression again, though not like it used to be, and am trying a medicine with great reviews that I'd never heard of called Symbyax."

dmh7579 (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Geodon back in May or June of 2013. It worked well enough but made me indifferent. Yes, it did help me get out of an incredibly long and terrible state of depression, but I lost the ability to feel anything at all. My legs would become restless (most often at night) and I was always exhausted. I would even doze off or completely fall asleep at work. I stayed on it for a few months then stopped taking it when I started a hypomanic phase."

Anonymous February 15, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking this medication about 6-7 months ago. The first (and only) side effect I experienced while taking it was drowsiness; it made me extremely tired to the point that I was sleeping 12-14 hours a night, I would wake up exhausted, and around noontime I would have to take a 1-2 hour nap. Overtime, my body adjusted to the medication and I am no longer tired on it. Overall, this medication has helped me significantly. I had a manic episode associated with bipolar disorder, and psychosis along with it. Geodon helped clear my mind, and it has given me virtually no side effects. I used to take it three times a day with food, then I dropped it to two times a day, and now I only take it once a day. I take this medication for bipolar."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2014