User Reviews for Geodon

Bipolar Disorder 87 reviews 48 medications

Summary of Geodon reviews 130 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Geodon

Review by ejconant (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Horrendous side effects: acute dystonic reaction, laryngospasm, somnolence

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by nursingstudent13:

For Bipolar Disorder: After having about the worst case of bipolar one you can imagine...yes I was hospitalized twice... I am a productive and absolutely a normally functioning member of society. I am in nursing school for my BSN at a very esteemed university and am married happily. The only thing I don't like about Geodon is if I'm manic and have to take it during the day instead of before bed.... I literally eat 3x as much as I normally would. Other than that this medicine has saved my life.

March 29, 2014 7:52 PM

Review by dmh7579 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: When I got on this I was self-diagnosed with depression, and tried about a dozen antidepressants without getting better. My gyno, who was prescribing, said I had to see a psychiatrist because he was scared he'd 'scramble my brain'. I was diagnosed with A-typical bipolar and put on Geodon and Lamictal. The Lamictal did nothing, but in 3 days I went from work or just being in bed the rest of the time gorging on food and not wanting to be bothered to feeling much much better. I started on 30mg and am now on 80, about 10 years later. I highly recommend this for bipolar. I've lately started getting into bipolar depression again, though not like it used to be, and am trying a medicine with great reviews that I'd never heard of called Symbyax.

March 7, 2014 2:00 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I started taking Geodon back in May or June of 2013. It worked well enough but made me indifferent. Yes, it did help me get out of an incredibly long and terrible state of depression, but I lost the ability to feel anything at all. My legs would become restless (most often at night) and I was always exhausted. I would even doze off or completely fall asleep at work. I stayed on it for a few months then stopped taking it when I started a hypomanic phase.

February 15, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started taking this medication about 6-7 months ago. The first (and only) side effect I experienced while taking it was drowsiness; it made me extremely tired to the point that I was sleeping 12-14 hours a night, I would wake up exhausted, and around noontime I would have to take a 1-2 hour nap. Overtime, my body adjusted to the medication and I am no longer tired on it. Overall, this medication has helped me significantly. I had a manic episode associated with bipolar disorder, and psychosis along with it. Geodon helped clear my mind, and it has given me virtually no side effects. I used to take it three times a day with food, then I dropped it to two times a day, and now I only take it once a day. I take this medication for bipolar.

February 14, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by liberty69 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Geodon has been great for me. It balances out my moods. I'm weaning down off Lamictal because it just didn't do the trick. Geodon makes me feel more "smooth" I guess, not apathetic, but just my overall mood is on an even keel, without taking away from the creativity I like to display.

February 8, 2014 8:09 AM

Review by tatajack (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizophrenia: I was given numerous medications to treat my condition and many of them just put me in a daze and made me sleep all day and couldn't function, And my psychiatrist then put me on geodon and was monitoring my condition and slowly increased my dosage and my condition started to improve to the point that I can now function to a point in society, I can understand now when I start to feel paranoid and hear voices that their only in my head and are not real, and I come back to reality and calm myself down, geodon has help me more than thorazin or seriquil, I take 80mg in the morning and 160mg at night,I've been able to sleep up to 6 hrs now,I feel good and I'm not tired and now I can actually eat in restraunts,I've been taking it for 3 yrs.

January 18, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by L in Louisville:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I am 64 and have been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder by some mental health clinicians and a schizo-affective disorder by others. Off and on I have had auditory hallucinations which for the last couple of months have been constant. I was hospitalized for a week and switched from Zyprexa to Geodon. I noticed a difference within the first 24 hours. Now, I am back home and have no hallucinations. Miraculous! I stop and listen for the hallucinations, but they simply are not there. It will take a while for me to "trust" the medication, but nothing has worked so well without severe side effects. So far, I am delighted.

January 12, 2014 12:32 AM

Review by tripp2007 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Horrible! I have done nothing but sleep... I was on 40mg for a few days, I have quit taking it. After 3 days I have literally gained 2 lbs.. I never gain weight, I have been the same weight for the last 5 years.. This is medicine might help some people, but not me.

November 13, 2013 5:27 PM

Review by Serenaa357 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Ive only been taking it for 3 DAYS. Gave me every side effect in the book. I'm currently up all night its 3:14 and I have to be at school at 8. Also, I have been nonstop shaking and have devoured four whole bags of chips. This medicine is NOT good. Not for bipolar at least

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by pyrofatty (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Other then feeling numb on geodon (partly I think my antidepressant too) I love it. I've been on geodon for a little over a year. Honestly I'll probably die taking this drug. It has saved me and brought me back to reality, after a mania-induced psychosis a year and a half ago. I'm almost never paranoid anymore, I can function in my day to day life, I am stable. I've even been able to cut down dramatically on how much I take.

November 6, 2013 5:49 PM

Review by SanchezMD (taken for less than 1 month):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: It keeps my head more clearer in thought. The voices have toned down and less hallucinations. I just do not like some of the side effects but I got used to them after a while.

October 6, 2013 6:31 PM

Review by Me an You:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have a 10 yr old daughter ( Bi Polar, Anxiety and ADHD ) who has been taking Geodon for about two months and it's been working great! I think the most important thing to remember is to go slow. 20mg for a couple weeks then 40mg for a couple weeks and so on and so forth. It does make you tired at 1st but it wears off after a while. My Daughter was 1st on Risperdal for a couple years starting at age 6 but it stopped working well and she was gaining a lot of weight. Then we eased her into Abilify and she was on it for 2 years and still was gaining to much weight. I don't think the Abilify ever worked that effectively and she was just getting out of control.

September 20, 2013 2:11 AM

Review by ChuckieT:

For Bipolar Disorder: Medication works great--I was on Haldol and this is so much better, and I get up rested in the morning. My perception is and good--even better than anything I've ever taken. I take 120 mg at 7:00 pm and by 10 am I'm ready to sleep. I take 40 mg in the morning and feel good the rest of the day. Caution--always take with food.

September 9, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by KayKay407:

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been on Geodon for a little over 2 months & I LOVE IT! It is definitely a life saver! It helps with my depression and mood swings. I take 40mg at night it helps me sleep & feel refreshed in the morning. I even started back college for Nursing. Helps me make good choices and makes me a lot more positive and energetic! I started off at 120mg at night but left me groggy & drowsy the next day until it was time for me to take it again at night so I dropped down to 40mg & it works wonders! I agree that every medicine isn't for everybody but definitely give it a try.

August 13, 2013 11:55 AM

Review by Momocita (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Schizophrenia: I've been on Geodon for probably about a year and I like it. It works I don't really hear voices. From time to time like once a week I'd hear like half a min if voices compared to 24hrs of my day before taking Geodon. My dose is always changing but as of now I'm on 20 in the morning and 80 at night. I get muscle tense and jaw locking. sometimes it will look like I'm flipping people off or I'd hide my thumb and squeeze. I'm taking Benadryl for that which helps, I'm taking 50mg for morning and night. I had tingling in my head feeling like I could faint but that only lasted a month or so. Overall it's a good medication I'm happy as long as I don't hear angels and demons!

August 11, 2013 4:11 AM

Review by johnconners (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Makes me really sleepy. But it cancels out my suicidal thoughts and depression, down side is the sedation.

August 5, 2013 8:55 PM

Review by Leese89:

For Bipolar Disorder: This is the only medicine that I have taken without any side effects! I love it! After the initial 2 week period of sleepiness it wears off and does what it's supposed. I do miss my mania no lie but I know that it wasn't good for me but it takes most of my depression down and I can enjoy my life. I've been on Lamictal which did nothing for me except give me horrid night terrors, Risperdal made me lactate, and Seroquel gave me frequent urination. I was so happy after struggling with my insurance that they put me back on the Geodon. Been on it for 2 months.

July 30, 2013 2:56 PM

Review by gettinfit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm glad this works for some, but it made me manic. I finally discontinued after a week and a half because I had gotten no asleep and had heart palpitations.

July 23, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by KayStock123:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine made me really suicidal and depressed. I was wrought with paranoid thinking, dark depression, and a host of physical side effects. I have been coming off of it and I'm feeling my mood improve. Things are seeming brighter again. I had speech problems while on this, I had a hard time working out, my eyes felt so sensitive to sunlight, and my head felt really weird, especially in the morning. I cannot believe I took it for so long. I didn't know that what I was going through was related to this medicine. It was awful for me.

July 11, 2013 4:13 PM

Review by RissaMeadows (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Been on it for a month now. Have lost 10 lbs. No voices or paranoia! Miracle. Just very drowsy.

July 4, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by ohthewanderer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Geodon for a month now; ZERO weight loss from 6 years of Risperidal. Discouraged but won't give up. I'm crying more lately... which is just plain weird. I never cry. Still, no hallucinations; my mood is decent.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2013 2:42 AM

Review by Micah Teagan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I had a terrible reaction to this medication. It brought back symptoms that I haven't had for years, and hallucinations. I felt crawling on my skin and heard voices for the first time in two years.

May 3, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Geodon has been effective in controlling my hallucinations and paranoia. It does make me drowsy and makes me shake after I take it. I have gained about 30 lbs while on it but it has been the most effective antipsychotic for me to relieve visual and auditory hallucinations and paranoia. I have taken Seroquel, Abilify, and Geodon and this is the most effective for me.

April 21, 2013 5:11 PM

Review by elise1089:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Worked mildly well, but excellent when paired with a small dose of Trilafon.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate