User Reviews for Geodon

Bipolar Disorder 124 reviews 33 medications

5.8
Summary of Geodon reviews 183 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Geodon

For Schizophrenia "60mg very effective for psychotic symptoms. Zero weight gain. However, had to come off due to bad side effects. Quite severe depersonalization and jaw pain. As I understand it, this is quite a rare side effect so I wouldn't let it dissuade you. Reactions to antipsychotics are very much on an individual basis. Would recommend despite my personal side effects."

Nance34 May 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Mania and especially mixed mania are the problem. Geodon is my solution. I took myself off because of mouth moves. Bad move? Almost divorced. I can tell when I am manic because I have ideas and insights. Example: the graph of user ratings for geodon treatment of bipolar is itself bipolar. I was doing 3x80mg when the moves started. Back to 1x80 now. Will report back. p.s. great site. I've been here many times but my first post. Thought I should contribute."

early (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This med makes me feel better but does nothing to hit the excessive amount of dopamine in my frontal lobe. This causes me so much frustration. The only thing anti-psychotics ever dealt with was my parietal lobe. Hello! It is "supposed to" clear up my entire brain not just a little bit. I can't function with just a little bit better."

Carnov (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on 1800 mg of lithium, 400 mg of lamictal for 10 years now. I was diagnosed bipolar 1 with anxiety more than 20 years ago. Recently, I felt I was starting to go all over the place and I knew it was time to talk with my shrink. He put me on 120 mg at night with .5 xanax while continuing my other 2 meds. The first night I literally went dizzy numb my speech was severely slurred and I drooled as I tried watching TV with my children. Next morning I was unable to drive them to school since I was still unable to clear my vision. Night 2 I would take and called doc., he said that I needed to give it at least a 30 day cycle but leave out xanax. I decided to self medicate and changed my dose to 60 mg daily, I bit manic but nice."

Wendow (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Took 80mg of geodon for 10 months. Severe weight loss, extreme loss appetite, moderate anxiety, talked out loud to myself alot, talking rapidly while not making sense, extreme happiness for no reason, jerked awake every night with no sleep for at least 24 hours, severe restlessness. Extreme energy. Severe weight loss almost died. Don't recommend."

Miss severe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was prescribed Geodon two weeks ago for psychotic episodes that I have as a result of my Bipolar 1 disorder. In short, I am absolutely horrified at what Geodon has done to my body in the small time that I have been taking it. It has made my hallucinations worse, my Bipolar disorder worse (which was fine with the help of Lamictal), and it made my suicidal thoughts worse. I blacked out and self-harmed for the first time in over a year since I began taking this medication. I had to call a pharmacist to work out an emergency titration schedule which did me little good since I started IMMEDIATELY withdrawing from the 40 mg capsules. It was the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever experienced. Please be careful before taking Geodon."

Desune March 31, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "One of the best meds out there that I have tried. It works to keep you stable and little to no side effects. Recommended."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon has helped with the low mood swings. It does make me restless. I take it only in the morning. Lamictal has been my saving grace. It's been months since I've slipped into depression."

Allstar1234 February 19, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medication did nothing for my delusions and caused me to eat non-stop."

Karen YF (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 48 year-old woman with bi-polar I disorder. A year ago last fall I was severely depressed. In the hospital they put me on 20 mg. Geodon for depression and 10 mg. trazedone for sleep. I was already on 1000 mg Tegretol. At first this combo was a lifesaver and I felt the best I have felt in years - even became slightly hypomanic and over-the-moon happy. Then 4 months in my mood swung to a deep suicidal depression so I went back in the hospital for 2 weeks and they upped the Geodon to 40 mg then 80 mg and the anxiety and insomnia became so bad they gave me the max they could with sleep meds and I left the hospital worse than ever. Anxiety so bad I had to take clonazepam to counteract. Would not take again."

StrongMaryForever (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

For Schizophrenia "My doctor changed my drug regimen from abilify to Geodon(120 mg Then I started experiencing trouble swallowing and headaches. These effects were transient so the doctor asked me to stay on the drug. The condition became worse and I went to an ear, throat, nose doctor. They indicated that I was suffering from GERD and inflammation of the larynx. After a few more weeks I was becoming paranoid and experiencing OCD symtoms. My husband called the doctor and demanded she shift back to abilify. A couple days later all the aforementioned symtoms disappeared. I am sure the drug works for many people but please pay close attention to the side effects I described"

rose cuse January 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It didn't work for me, I was on 40mg initially to start, and it wasn't helping, I could feel myself slipping into a worse depression, so the doctor upped it 60 mg. I then started breaking out in hives which itched so bad I would scratch them open (now have scars). Although even at 60, it still wasn't working for me. Off to find another substitute for seroquel (that's not working anymore either). I hope it helps other though, it just didn't work for me."

Sue_B327 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Geodon for a few years now. I'm supposed to take 180 mg At night. But instead of knocking me out I'm restless and feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. So I take 80mg. in the morning and evening along with Zoloft, Vistril, and Klonopin a cocktail that makes me slumber for over twelve hours a day. My mood all the time unless triggered is "numb"."

Morrisseyjunkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This is day two of taking 20mg twice daily of geodon. So far I yawn a lot and could fall asleep about 30 mins to an hour after taking it. That I really hate, because I was already always exhausted to begin with BUT I will say I have noticed I'm a lot less paranoid and can actually walk slowly without thinking im being chased, it is rather pleasant, now when I see or hear things I know its just my head and can leave it be and not go into paranoid mode, I really hope the sleepiness subsides"

Krispykillz (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is great. I have been more stable than ever, since I started taking it. I have to take it at night though, because it makes me super sleepy if I take it during the day. I can hardly sleep and get manicky if I don't take it for a while. I don't get any side effects either. I was taking two 80mg pills at night, but now I only take two 60 mg pills. I lost weight while on this medication. Sleepiness is HORRIBLE if I take it during the day. I, at one point, was taking 80mg twice per day, but I almost got fired! I would fall asleep at work. It was an uncontrollable sleepiness. No matter what I did to stay awake, I couldn't. two 80mg at night made me sleep until real late, so that's why I take two 60mg pills at night. Haven't been manic."

Me16887461 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I tried this medication about a year ago geodone. I have bipolar 1 disorder. When I was released from the hospital they told me to stay on 60 mg of geodone. Then I tried going on 20 or 40 but I was still hearing voices and confused with my emotions. Then my doctor told me to take geodone only at night and I have no sleeping problems anymore. The doctor, emergency room, and hospital agreed together and told me to stay on this. I no longer hear voices when I do they come through stress and fade away. Night mares are gone. I don't gain weight cause I sleep through the night. "

Geodone experience November 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Geodon alongside lexapro. I have already taken lexapro for this past year and never had a dystonic reaction. However, when my nurse practitioner introduced geodon I went into dystonia . Dystonia is when your body begins to contort on itself involuntarily. I could literally feel my neck twisting on itself trying to snap. Thankfully i was cured with benadryl, and the dystonia was not permanent. If you want to try this med, keep a supply of benadryl to stop a dystonic reaction and call an ambulance right away. Even more, this is not the only medication that can cause dystonia. Several others can to - like risperidone, halodol , and abilify. When they are combined with an anti depressant they can increase the risk of dystonia.goodluck"

This Drug Can Cause Dystonia (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this for about two weeks at 4mg and doubled to 8, which I kept for around 2 more months. I was in a coma all the next day if I didn't take before 8 pm. This was bad enough, but I had a nearly fatal dystonic reaction and my pulse was in the 230s when I got to the ER. I nearly died. Like, this is a rare complication, but I wish I was informed that was even possible."

Paige H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

For Autism "The doctor prescribed geodon 20mg at night for my 8 year old daughter. She has autism and a mood disorder. She has been on this medication for about a week and I am stopping it. She has became very agitated and restless. As of this evening she has become severely depressed and sobbing I over everything. It breaks my heart seeing her like this. I would never recommend this medication for any child."

Ohio Mom (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I been on the drug for about a month. I'm getting off my depakote this month because of weight gain and tiredness. It's hard to see the whole effect of this drug. I can tell you that the drug makes you tired. I take 40mg at lunch and 40mg at dinner. It seems to be better the abilify. That drug made me gain 30 pounds and I couldn't stay still. It has just been hard because of all the weight I have gain from mood stablizers. I just hope that when I stop my depakote and only take geodon it will help me with my weight lost."

Colie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication was a disaster for my bipolar disorder. I felt depressed and hyper at the same time. I couldn't sleep, and couldn't think clearly. I was more manic than I'd ever been. Stopping the drug was like turning off the faucet of pain."

shelbylb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My doctor told me I had the worst bipolar disorder he had ever seen. When I talked to my doctor, I told him I wanted a little bit of mania because I could get my school work done easier, I didn't want to be depressed all the time, I wanted minimal weight gain because everything else I had been on made me gain weight, and I wanted to sleep at night because I was going weeks without sleep, and it was making be sick. He put me on 80mg, twice a day. He ended up changing that to 2 80mg pills before bedtime because when I took it in the morning, it was like I was drunk and I couldn't go to my college classes. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't been depressed since, I sleep, and lost 20lbs. It's been a miracle for me."

Anthropology Major October 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon has worked great for my bipolar. I do not struggle with mania symptoms anymore. My thoughts are more clear and feel more stable than I ever have. I take it at night to avoid the heavy fatigue that occured when I took it during the day. I had some weight gain, but it is worth the quality of life I now have."

juliaannec October 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "After horrible experiences with a multitude of different antidepressants, the realization came upon me that I was possibly bipolar due to a prolonged episode of what I thought could be mania. Well, my psychiatrist put me on Geodon (40 mg in the evening). So far, it's been 2 months and I have had not one depressive or manic episode during this time. The first 2 or 3 days of taking the drug were awful- I had terrible brain fog, and just felt totally whacked-out, but that feeling disappeared after just a few days, so I can't complain too much. I'm starting taking an additional 20 mg in the morning to hopefully curb some of my anxiety, so we'll see how that goes. As far as psych meds go, this one has reigned far superior so far!"

Anonymous October 8, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "The doctors diagnosed me with social anxiety, depression and minor schizoaffective symptoms. The first 2 days of taking this I felt great, I felt like I could do anything and I was really happy would rate this medicine higher if this continued for the entire duration of my taking it. However my the end of the first week I was severely delusional, to the point where I didn't even notice it. At the end of week 2 I didn't even know who I was, I thought I was turning into animals and I had no perception of time. A good way to explain it was the worst week long trip ever. I first noticed I was not me when the letters on my phone made no sense. I cold turkey'd it and I experienced hypertension, irregular heart beats and so much more."

Dann_C0 October 2, 2015