User Reviews for Geodon

Bipolar Disorder 120 reviews 33 medications

5.8
Summary of Geodon reviews 175 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Geodon

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medication did nothing for my delusions and caused me to eat non-stop."

Karen YF (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 48 year-old woman with bi-polar I disorder. A year ago last fall I was severely depressed. In the hospital they put me on 20 mg. Geodon for depression and 10 mg. trazedone for sleep. I was already on 1000 mg Tegretol. At first this combo was a lifesaver and I felt the best I have felt in years - even became slightly hypomanic and over-the-moon happy. Then 4 months in my mood swung to a deep suicidal depression so I went back in the hospital for 2 weeks and they upped the Geodon to 40 mg then 80 mg and the anxiety and insomnia became so bad they gave me the max they could with sleep meds and I left the hospital worse than ever. Anxiety so bad I had to take clonazepam to counteract. Would not take again."

StrongMaryForever (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

For Schizophrenia "My doctor changed my drug regimen from abilify to Geodon(120 mg Then I started experiencing trouble swallowing and headaches. These effects were transient so the doctor asked me to stay on the drug. The condition became worse and I went to an ear, throat, nose doctor. They indicated that I was suffering from GERD and inflammation of the larynx. After a few more weeks I was becoming paranoid and experiencing OCD symtoms. My husband called the doctor and demanded she shift back to abilify. A couple days later all the aforementioned symtoms disappeared. I am sure the drug works for many people but please pay close attention to the side effects I described"

rose cuse January 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It didn't work for me, I was on 40mg initially to start, and it wasn't helping, I could feel myself slipping into a worse depression, so the doctor upped it 60 mg. I then started breaking out in hives which itched so bad I would scratch them open (now have scars). Although even at 60, it still wasn't working for me. Off to find another substitute for seroquel (that's not working anymore either). I hope it helps other though, it just didn't work for me."

Sue_B327 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Geodon for a few years now. I'm supposed to take 180 mg At night. But instead of knocking me out I'm restless and feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. So I take 80mg. in the morning and evening along with Zoloft, Vistril, and Klonopin a cocktail that makes me slumber for over twelve hours a day. My mood all the time unless triggered is "numb"."

Morrisseyjunkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This is day two of taking 20mg twice daily of geodon. So far I yawn a lot and could fall asleep about 30 mins to an hour after taking it. That I really hate, because I was already always exhausted to begin with BUT I will say I have noticed I'm a lot less paranoid and can actually walk slowly without thinking im being chased, it is rather pleasant, now when I see or hear things I know its just my head and can leave it be and not go into paranoid mode, I really hope the sleepiness subsides"

Krispykillz (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is great. I have been more stable than ever, since I started taking it. I have to take it at night though, because it makes me super sleepy if I take it during the day. I can hardly sleep and get manicky if I don't take it for a while. I don't get any side effects either. I was taking two 80mg pills at night, but now I only take two 60 mg pills. I lost weight while on this medication. Sleepiness is HORRIBLE if I take it during the day. I, at one point, was taking 80mg twice per day, but I almost got fired! I would fall asleep at work. It was an uncontrollable sleepiness. No matter what I did to stay awake, I couldn't. two 80mg at night made me sleep until real late, so that's why I take two 60mg pills at night. Haven't been manic."

Me16887461 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I tried this medication about a year ago geodone. I have bipolar 1 disorder. When I was released from the hospital they told me to stay on 60 mg of geodone. Then I tried going on 20 or 40 but I was still hearing voices and confused with my emotions. Then my doctor told me to take geodone only at night and I have no sleeping problems anymore. The doctor, emergency room, and hospital agreed together and told me to stay on this. I no longer hear voices when I do they come through stress and fade away. Night mares are gone. I don't gain weight cause I sleep through the night. "

Geodone experience November 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Geodon alongside lexapro. I have already taken lexapro for this past year and never had a dystonic reaction. However, when my nurse practitioner introduced geodon I went into dystonia . Dystonia is when your body begins to contort on itself involuntarily. I could literally feel my neck twisting on itself trying to snap. Thankfully i was cured with benadryl, and the dystonia was not permanent. If you want to try this med, keep a supply of benadryl to stop a dystonic reaction and call an ambulance right away. Even more, this is not the only medication that can cause dystonia. Several others can to - like risperidone, halodol , and abilify. When they are combined with an anti depressant they can increase the risk of dystonia.goodluck"

This Drug Can Cause Dystonia (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this for about two weeks at 4mg and doubled to 8, which I kept for around 2 more months. I was in a coma all the next day if I didn't take before 8 pm. This was bad enough, but I had a nearly fatal dystonic reaction and my pulse was in the 230s when I got to the ER. I nearly died. Like, this is a rare complication, but I wish I was informed that was even possible."

Paige H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

For Autism "The doctor prescribed geodon 20mg at night for my 8 year old daughter. She has autism and a mood disorder. She has been on this medication for about a week and I am stopping it. She has became very agitated and restless. As of this evening she has become severely depressed and sobbing I over everything. It breaks my heart seeing her like this. I would never recommend this medication for any child."

Ohio Mom (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I been on the drug for about a month. I'm getting off my depakote this month because of weight gain and tiredness. It's hard to see the whole effect of this drug. I can tell you that the drug makes you tired. I take 40mg at lunch and 40mg at dinner. It seems to be better the abilify. That drug made me gain 30 pounds and I couldn't stay still. It has just been hard because of all the weight I have gain from mood stablizers. I just hope that when I stop my depakote and only take geodon it will help me with my weight lost."

Colie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication was a disaster for my bipolar disorder. I felt depressed and hyper at the same time. I couldn't sleep, and couldn't think clearly. I was more manic than I'd ever been. Stopping the drug was like turning off the faucet of pain."

shelbylb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My doctor told me I had the worst bipolar disorder he had ever seen. When I talked to my doctor, I told him I wanted a little bit of mania because I could get my school work done easier, I didn't want to be depressed all the time, I wanted minimal weight gain because everything else I had been on made me gain weight, and I wanted to sleep at night because I was going weeks without sleep, and it was making be sick. He put me on 80mg, twice a day. He ended up changing that to 2 80mg pills before bedtime because when I took it in the morning, it was like I was drunk and I couldn't go to my college classes. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't been depressed since, I sleep, and lost 20lbs. It's been a miracle for me."

Anthropology Major October 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Geodon has worked great for my bipolar. I do not struggle with mania symptoms anymore. My thoughts are more clear and feel more stable than I ever have. I take it at night to avoid the heavy fatigue that occured when I took it during the day. I had some weight gain, but it is worth the quality of life I now have."

juliaannec October 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "After horrible experiences with a multitude of different antidepressants, the realization came upon me that I was possibly bipolar due to a prolonged episode of what I thought could be mania. Well, my psychiatrist put me on Geodon (40 mg in the evening). So far, it's been 2 months and I have had not one depressive or manic episode during this time. The first 2 or 3 days of taking the drug were awful- I had terrible brain fog, and just felt totally whacked-out, but that feeling disappeared after just a few days, so I can't complain too much. I'm starting taking an additional 20 mg in the morning to hopefully curb some of my anxiety, so we'll see how that goes. As far as psych meds go, this one has reigned far superior so far!"

Anonymous October 8, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "The doctors diagnosed me with social anxiety, depression and minor schizoaffective symptoms. The first 2 days of taking this I felt great, I felt like I could do anything and I was really happy would rate this medicine higher if this continued for the entire duration of my taking it. However my the end of the first week I was severely delusional, to the point where I didn't even notice it. At the end of week 2 I didn't even know who I was, I thought I was turning into animals and I had no perception of time. A good way to explain it was the worst week long trip ever. I first noticed I was not me when the letters on my phone made no sense. I cold turkey'd it and I experienced hypertension, irregular heart beats and so much more."

Dann_C0 October 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I suffer from bipolar mixed state & I hear voices .and the geodon 40mg 2 a day works good. They say its suppose to help with paranoia but it hasn't helped yet. Maybe I haven't been taking it long enough yet. Only another problem I'm having is constant restlessness I can't be still. I forgot the name of it.but besides of that the geodon has been working ok just my paranoia still is not good and I still hear the voices sometimes but my bipolar is under control."

Tink_S (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication turned me into a zombie. I was so tired and unmotivated all the time. I decided I wanted off of this poison and had to taper so slow because I got bad withdrawls in the smallest dose changes. I even went down to 10mg by empting out half the capsule. When I went to zero I ended up in the emergency room with severe dehydration from the vomiting and diareah caused by the withdrawls and I was unable to care for myself or my daughter for about two weeks, I thought my body was giving up it's will to live. I have quit dilaudid cold turkey with minimal discomfort so it's not like I can't handle discomfort but quitting geodon was terrible and from now on I will be doing more research on each medication I put in my body."

Cleo1313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I started this medication about a week ago exactly on 20mg in the am and 20 MG after dinner in the beginning it knocked me out. But it's gotten better my pdc will be upping me this Fri to 40mg am and 40mg pm. I'm already feeling like a completely different person a week later I'm happy doing things with myself like hair make up actually caring. Cooking dinner every night I see life differently now I'm a little worried about gaining weight but I'd rather be in a good stat of mind honestly then 130 lbs a little weight won't kill me I guess. I give this med a 8 out of 10 only because it is very sedating in the beginning and you have to eat with it."

purebeauty (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been using geodon for 2 years.It has stopped my racing thoughts and irritability. I have however gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months even though you are told it is weight neutral.Their own website states this med can cause an increase of 15 pounds (a weight gain mean of >7)"

jackie2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was just diagnosed schizoaffective recently. Geodon has proven a good antipsychotic. side effects have been minimal with face twitch at the start. Highly recommend this and Abilify for psychotic disorders."

Bstrong August 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Because of this drug, I have the most stability I've ever had in my 23 years with bipolar. I also take lithium, lamictal and pristiq. Lithium is a great stabilizer also but geodon is the cornerstone of my treatment. I suffered for 12 years before geodon. I was an ultra rapid cycler. I had a lot of people make fun of me during that time. Now I'm married and I have achieved so much. One word of caution: do not drink Diet Mountain Dew or any drinks or food with a flame retardant in it (brominated vegetable oil for example). These will cause an onset of tardive dyskinesia."

beefcake77 August 23, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "More side effects for me than Abilify~mostly anxiety & light-headedness plus headaches at first."

muunhart (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I take 80 mg of Geodon in the evening for Bipolar I with psychotic features. It really helps to cut down the visual and auditory hallucinations though it sometimes makes me pretty tired in the morning. Sometimes I have a hard time driving first thing in the morning. It is worth it to straighten out my mind."

Jessicathelibrarian August 3, 2015