User Reviews for Geodon

Learn more about Geodon.

Geodon Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Best med I've been on for my bi-polar. I also take buspirone And trazodone for sleep. I been bi-polar since 21, I think I have taken ever drug there is for this illness. And since my Dr has put me on this drugs I'm finely stable for once in my life."

Jeffery M May 24, 2016

"Was prescribed Geodon for mania in Bipolar. Cannot recommend this drug. I tried to go back to work after being in the hospital for 2 weeks. Often, I would fall asleep even while typing or working. This made other activities dangerous and I quickly met with doctor to stop taking this. I can see this as being a short term fix to mania, but ongoing use of this drug is dangerous. It could make you have an accident or worse if driving."

Manuel231 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"Mania and especially mixed mania are the problem. Geodon is my solution. I took myself off because of mouth moves. Bad move? Almost divorced. I can tell when I am manic because I have ideas and insights. Example: the graph of user ratings for geodon treatment of bipolar is itself bipolar. I was doing 3x80mg when the moves started. Back to 1x80 now. Will report back. p.s. great site. I've been here many times but my first post. Thought I should contribute."

early (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

"I have been on 1800 mg of lithium, 400 mg of lamictal for 10 years now. I was diagnosed bipolar 1 with anxiety more than 20 years ago. Recently, I felt I was starting to go all over the place and I knew it was time to talk with my shrink. He put me on 120 mg at night with .5 xanax while continuing my other 2 meds. The first night I literally went dizzy numb my speech was severely slurred and I drooled as I tried watching TV with my children. Next morning I was unable to drive them to school since I was still unable to clear my vision. Night 2 I would take and called doc., he said that I needed to give it at least a 30 day cycle but leave out xanax. I decided to self medicate and changed my dose to 60 mg daily, I bit manic but nice."

Wendow (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I was prescribed Geodon two weeks ago for psychotic episodes that I have as a result of my Bipolar 1 disorder. In short, I am absolutely horrified at what Geodon has done to my body in the small time that I have been taking it. It has made my hallucinations worse, my Bipolar disorder worse (which was fine with the help of Lamictal), and it made my suicidal thoughts worse. I blacked out and self-harmed for the first time in over a year since I began taking this medication. I had to call a pharmacist to work out an emergency titration schedule which did me little good since I started IMMEDIATELY withdrawing from the 40 mg capsules. It was the worst withdrawal symptoms I have ever experienced. Please be careful before taking Geodon."

Desune March 31, 2016

"Geodon has helped with the low mood swings. It does make me restless. I take it only in the morning. Lamictal has been my saving grace. It's been months since I've slipped into depression."

Allstar1234 February 19, 2016

"I am a 48 year-old woman with bi-polar I disorder. A year ago last fall I was severely depressed. In the hospital they put me on 20 mg. Geodon for depression and 10 mg. trazedone for sleep. I was already on 1000 mg Tegretol. At first this combo was a lifesaver and I felt the best I have felt in years - even became slightly hypomanic and over-the-moon happy. Then 4 months in my mood swung to a deep suicidal depression so I went back in the hospital for 2 weeks and they upped the Geodon to 40 mg then 80 mg and the anxiety and insomnia became so bad they gave me the max they could with sleep meds and I left the hospital worse than ever. Anxiety so bad I had to take clonazepam to counteract. Would not take again."

StrongMaryForever (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

"It didn't work for me, I was on 40mg initially to start, and it wasn't helping, I could feel myself slipping into a worse depression, so the doctor upped it 60 mg. I then started breaking out in hives which itched so bad I would scratch them open (now have scars). Although even at 60, it still wasn't working for me. Off to find another substitute for seroquel (that's not working anymore either). I hope it helps other though, it just didn't work for me."

Sue_B327 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

"I've been taking Geodon for a few years now. I'm supposed to take 180 mg At night. But instead of knocking me out I'm restless and feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. So I take 80mg. in the morning and evening along with Zoloft, Vistril, and Klonopin a cocktail that makes me slumber for over twelve hours a day. My mood all the time unless triggered is "numb"."

Morrisseyjunkie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"This drug is great. I have been more stable than ever, since I started taking it. I have to take it at night though, because it makes me super sleepy if I take it during the day. I can hardly sleep and get manicky if I don't take it for a while. I don't get any side effects either. I was taking two 80mg pills at night, but now I only take two 60 mg pills. I lost weight while on this medication. Sleepiness is HORRIBLE if I take it during the day. I, at one point, was taking 80mg twice per day, but I almost got fired! I would fall asleep at work. It was an uncontrollable sleepiness. No matter what I did to stay awake, I couldn't. two 80mg at night made me sleep until real late, so that's why I take two 60mg pills at night. Haven't been manic."

Me16887461 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2015

"I tried this medication about a year ago geodone. I have bipolar 1 disorder. When I was released from the hospital they told me to stay on 60 mg of geodone. Then I tried going on 20 or 40 but I was still hearing voices and confused with my emotions. Then my doctor told me to take geodone only at night and I have no sleeping problems anymore. The doctor, emergency room, and hospital agreed together and told me to stay on this. I no longer hear voices when I do they come through stress and fade away. Night mares are gone. I don't gain weight cause I sleep through the night. "

Geodone experience November 18, 2015

"I took Geodon alongside lexapro. I have already taken lexapro for this past year and never had a dystonic reaction. However, when my nurse practitioner introduced geodon I went into dystonia . Dystonia is when your body begins to contort on itself involuntarily. I could literally feel my neck twisting on itself trying to snap. Thankfully i was cured with benadryl, and the dystonia was not permanent. If you want to try this med, keep a supply of benadryl to stop a dystonic reaction and call an ambulance right away. Even more, this is not the only medication that can cause dystonia. Several others can to - like risperidone, halodol , and abilify. When they are combined with an anti depressant they can increase the risk of dystonia.goodluck"

This Drug Can Cause Dystonia (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I took this for about two weeks at 4mg and doubled to 8, which I kept for around 2 more months. I was in a coma all the next day if I didn't take before 8 pm. This was bad enough, but I had a nearly fatal dystonic reaction and my pulse was in the 230s when I got to the ER. I nearly died. Like, this is a rare complication, but I wish I was informed that was even possible."

Paige H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

"I been on the drug for about a month. I'm getting off my depakote this month because of weight gain and tiredness. It's hard to see the whole effect of this drug. I can tell you that the drug makes you tired. I take 40mg at lunch and 40mg at dinner. It seems to be better the abilify. That drug made me gain 30 pounds and I couldn't stay still. It has just been hard because of all the weight I have gain from mood stablizers. I just hope that when I stop my depakote and only take geodon it will help me with my weight lost."

Colie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

"This medication was a disaster for my bipolar disorder. I felt depressed and hyper at the same time. I couldn't sleep, and couldn't think clearly. I was more manic than I'd ever been. Stopping the drug was like turning off the faucet of pain."

shelbylb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2015

"My doctor told me I had the worst bipolar disorder he had ever seen. When I talked to my doctor, I told him I wanted a little bit of mania because I could get my school work done easier, I didn't want to be depressed all the time, I wanted minimal weight gain because everything else I had been on made me gain weight, and I wanted to sleep at night because I was going weeks without sleep, and it was making be sick. He put me on 80mg, twice a day. He ended up changing that to 2 80mg pills before bedtime because when I took it in the morning, it was like I was drunk and I couldn't go to my college classes. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't been depressed since, I sleep, and lost 20lbs. It's been a miracle for me."

Anthropology Major October 12, 2015

"Geodon has worked great for my bipolar. I do not struggle with mania symptoms anymore. My thoughts are more clear and feel more stable than I ever have. I take it at night to avoid the heavy fatigue that occured when I took it during the day. I had some weight gain, but it is worth the quality of life I now have."

juliaannec October 9, 2015

"After horrible experiences with a multitude of different antidepressants, the realization came upon me that I was possibly bipolar due to a prolonged episode of what I thought could be mania. Well, my psychiatrist put me on Geodon (40 mg in the evening). So far, it's been 2 months and I have had not one depressive or manic episode during this time. The first 2 or 3 days of taking the drug were awful- I had terrible brain fog, and just felt totally whacked-out, but that feeling disappeared after just a few days, so I can't complain too much. I'm starting taking an additional 20 mg in the morning to hopefully curb some of my anxiety, so we'll see how that goes. As far as psych meds go, this one has reigned far superior so far!"

Anonymous October 8, 2015

"I suffer from bipolar mixed state & I hear voices .and the geodon 40mg 2 a day works good. They say its suppose to help with paranoia but it hasn't helped yet. Maybe I haven't been taking it long enough yet. Only another problem I'm having is constant restlessness I can't be still. I forgot the name of it.but besides of that the geodon has been working ok just my paranoia still is not good and I still hear the voices sometimes but my bipolar is under control."

Tink_S (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

"This medication turned me into a zombie. I was so tired and unmotivated all the time. I decided I wanted off of this poison and had to taper so slow because I got bad withdrawls in the smallest dose changes. I even went down to 10mg by empting out half the capsule. When I went to zero I ended up in the emergency room with severe dehydration from the vomiting and diareah caused by the withdrawls and I was unable to care for myself or my daughter for about two weeks, I thought my body was giving up it's will to live. I have quit dilaudid cold turkey with minimal discomfort so it's not like I can't handle discomfort but quitting geodon was terrible and from now on I will be doing more research on each medication I put in my body."

Cleo1313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2015

"I started this medication about a week ago exactly on 20mg in the am and 20 MG after dinner in the beginning it knocked me out. But it's gotten better my pdc will be upping me this Fri to 40mg am and 40mg pm. I'm already feeling like a completely different person a week later I'm happy doing things with myself like hair make up actually caring. Cooking dinner every night I see life differently now I'm a little worried about gaining weight but I'd rather be in a good stat of mind honestly then 130 lbs a little weight won't kill me I guess. I give this med a 8 out of 10 only because it is very sedating in the beginning and you have to eat with it."

purebeauty (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

"I've been using geodon for 2 years.It has stopped my racing thoughts and irritability. I have however gained 20 pounds in the first 6 months even though you are told it is weight neutral.Their own website states this med can cause an increase of 15 pounds (a weight gain mean of >7)"

jackie2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2015

"Because of this drug, I have the most stability I've ever had in my 23 years with bipolar. I also take lithium, lamictal and pristiq. Lithium is a great stabilizer also but geodon is the cornerstone of my treatment. I suffered for 12 years before geodon. I was an ultra rapid cycler. I had a lot of people make fun of me during that time. Now I'm married and I have achieved so much. One word of caution: do not drink Diet Mountain Dew or any drinks or food with a flame retardant in it (brominated vegetable oil for example). These will cause an onset of tardive dyskinesia."

beefcake77 August 23, 2015

"I take 80 mg of Geodon in the evening for Bipolar I with psychotic features. It really helps to cut down the visual and auditory hallucinations though it sometimes makes me pretty tired in the morning. Sometimes I have a hard time driving first thing in the morning. It is worth it to straighten out my mind."

Jessicathelibrarian August 3, 2015

"I felt extremely woozy, nauseated, and shaky while on this medication. I had 2 trips to the ER for severe dehydration caused by the Geodon. I was so shaky I was pretty much convulsing, my heart was going crazy, and it felt like my brain was shutting down. By the time I got to the ER I could barely form sentences and very nearly blacked out. It was a terrifying experience. I felt sick the entire time taking this drug."

Geodonh8r July 23, 2015