User Reviews for Geodon

Learn more about Geodon.

Geodon Review Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Geodon to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I felt like a zombie while on this, I gained ten pounds in first week - and I am one to watch my weight! Also my hands began trembling a lot and I felt very nervous, I was always quivering when I spoke. This medicine ended up being quite scary, with a trip to the emergency room for I felt and looked like I was having a seizure, my family called paramedics and it was a dystonic reaction."

rikacee (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

"Geodon was a lifesaver at first. But after three months, I have developed leg twitches. I'm going to see my doctor on Wednesday to find out how to get off this medication. The twitching is awful."

KalexS March 21, 2015

"I've had a good experience with Geodon. It has controlled my mania and I have 0 side effects. I started at 40mg. which was not doing anything and then switched doctors and am now at 120 mg. 40mg in the day and 80mg. at night. It's truly been a blessing. I also take Zoloft for depression and anxiety. Together they work well for me. My 8 year old son has just been diagnosed with bi polar and he has just started on Geodon. In the beginning, he was very drowsy, but in a matter of days, his hyperactivity, non-stop pressured speech, risky behavior and emotional meltdowns and temper tantrums have all but disappeared! We all thought he had ADHD, but so far, no more ADHD meds, just Zoloft and Geodon, and he's doing well!"

jessieinsanfrancisco (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2015

"I switched recently to this medicine from Latuda due to akathisia and lack of effectiveness. It has work wonders on my mood. It has paired up with Zoloft to make a solid team of an antidepressant/mood stabilizer combination. I feel like I can do much more now, my sociability has increased%u2014even my anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder have been helped by it! My experience on this medicine has been better overall in the past month I've been on it than the two years I was on Latuda. The only negative side effect so far is sexual side effects."

mikrw33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2015

"This med simply did nothing for me. Had to switch back to Seroquel. Looking at taking Latuda. "

Bipolar I since 1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

"I've been taking Geodon for about four weeks. Before that I was on Quetiapine which works well but gave me horrible weight gain (their paper says 10 pounds a year average and I gained 23 in 6 week! Still eating well too!) I have had minor side effects. When I first take it, it affects my concentration. I have a hard time driving and specifically moving things like looking at the road make me sleepy. If I'm not driving (or looking at the road specifically) my tiredness seems to be much better. I have had some short term memory problems especially if I'm stressed at the same time. Other than that this med has worked well for me and is keeping my weight down. Now I just have to exercise off the 23 pound belly and thighs the quetiapine gave me."

RachelleHostler November 19, 2014

"Heart palpitations. Scarey shakey"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2014

"After no sleeping for several days, in my mayor maniac crisis ever, I started in Geodon. It's been magical. No side effects at all. Couldn't recommend it better. Of course, is my experience."

bruja174 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2014

"Legs/ankles swell. Get more sleepless and agitated, jittery."

Anonymous October 1, 2014

"I have only been on Geodon a few days and I can't tolerate it. I feel intoxicated, can't type very well, and am already having some involuntary movements in my face. I am not taking it tonight and will see my doctor tomorrow and request something else."

BipolarPatient September 16, 2014

"I have been taking Geodon for about 10 months now and unfortunately it has given me erectile dysfunction. I started to reduce the dosage in order to stop but not taking it affects my mood tremendously. Without it I feel hopeless, I cry a lot and it is difficult for me to get out of bed. However, I can't risk it affecting my sexual well-being (I sincerely hope it's not too late!) So I guess Geodon did not help me and my bipolar disorder."

Marvin73 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2014

"Geodon has worked wonders for me, being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, major depression and an anxiety disorder. I take 160 mg at bedtime along with Wellbutrin in the morning and Cymbalta twice daily. I took more Geodon than the Dr recommended because I wanted it to help me sleep again, and it gave me minor twitches but I'm back to my regular dosage so I wouldn't recommend taking more than your Dr prescribes. Other than the twitches I love the medicine and would recommend it to anyone with like disorders. I've been on the medicine for almost three months."

dserpa (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2014

"Horrendous side effects: acute dystonic reaction, laryngospasm, somnolence"

ejconant (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2014

"After having about the worst case of bipolar one you can imagine...yes I was hospitalized twice... I am a productive and absolutely a normally functioning member of society. I am in nursing school for my BSN at a very esteemed university and am married happily. The only thing I don't like about Geodon is if I'm manic and have to take it during the day instead of before bed.... I literally eat 3x as much as I normally would. Other than that this medicine has saved my life."

nursingstudent13 March 29, 2014

"When I got on this I was self-diagnosed with depression, and tried about a dozen antidepressants without getting better. My gyno, who was prescribing, said I had to see a psychiatrist because he was scared he'd 'scramble my brain'. I was diagnosed with A-typical bipolar and put on Geodon and Lamictal. The Lamictal did nothing, but in 3 days I went from work or just being in bed the rest of the time gorging on food and not wanting to be bothered to feeling much much better. I started on 30mg and am now on 80, about 10 years later. I highly recommend this for bipolar. I've lately started getting into bipolar depression again, though not like it used to be, and am trying a medicine with great reviews that I'd never heard of called Symbyax."

dmh7579 (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2014

"I started taking Geodon back in May or June of 2013. It worked well enough but made me indifferent. Yes, it did help me get out of an incredibly long and terrible state of depression, but I lost the ability to feel anything at all. My legs would become restless (most often at night) and I was always exhausted. I would even doze off or completely fall asleep at work. I stayed on it for a few months then stopped taking it when I started a hypomanic phase."

Anonymous February 15, 2014

"I started taking this medication about 6-7 months ago. The first (and only) side effect I experienced while taking it was drowsiness; it made me extremely tired to the point that I was sleeping 12-14 hours a night, I would wake up exhausted, and around noontime I would have to take a 1-2 hour nap. Overtime, my body adjusted to the medication and I am no longer tired on it. Overall, this medication has helped me significantly. I had a manic episode associated with bipolar disorder, and psychosis along with it. Geodon helped clear my mind, and it has given me virtually no side effects. I used to take it three times a day with food, then I dropped it to two times a day, and now I only take it once a day. I take this medication for bipolar."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2014

"Geodon has been great for me. It balances out my moods. I'm weaning down off Lamictal because it just didn't do the trick. Geodon makes me feel more "smooth" I guess, not apathetic, but just my overall mood is on an even keel, without taking away from the creativity I like to display."

liberty69 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2014

"Horrible! I have done nothing but sleep... I was on 40mg for a few days, I have quit taking it. After 3 days I have literally gained 2 lbs.. I never gain weight, I have been the same weight for the last 5 years.. This is medicine might help some people, but not me."

tripp2007 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2013

"Ive only been taking it for 3 DAYS. Gave me every side effect in the book. I'm currently up all night its 3:14 and I have to be at school at 8. Also, I have been nonstop shaking and have devoured four whole bags of chips. This medicine is NOT good. Not for bipolar at least"

Serenaa357 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2013

"Other then feeling numb on geodon (partly I think my antidepressant too) I love it. I've been on geodon for a little over a year. Honestly I'll probably die taking this drug. It has saved me and brought me back to reality, after a mania-induced psychosis a year and a half ago. I'm almost never paranoid anymore, I can function in my day to day life, I am stable. I've even been able to cut down dramatically on how much I take."

pyrofatty (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2013

"I have a 10 yr old daughter ( Bi Polar, Anxiety and ADHD ) who has been taking Geodon for about two months and it's been working great! I think the most important thing to remember is to go slow. 20mg for a couple weeks then 40mg for a couple weeks and so on and so forth. It does make you tired at 1st but it wears off after a while. My Daughter was 1st on Risperdal for a couple years starting at age 6 but it stopped working well and she was gaining a lot of weight. Then we eased her into Abilify and she was on it for 2 years and still was gaining to much weight. I don't think the Abilify ever worked that effectively and she was just getting out of control."

Me an You September 20, 2013

"Medication works great--I was on Haldol and this is so much better, and I get up rested in the morning. My perception is and good--even better than anything I've ever taken. I take 120 mg at 7:00 pm and by 10 am I'm ready to sleep. I take 40 mg in the morning and feel good the rest of the day. Caution--always take with food."

ChuckieT September 9, 2013

"Have been on Geodon for a little over 2 months & I LOVE IT! It is definitely a life saver! It helps with my depression and mood swings. I take 40mg at night it helps me sleep & feel refreshed in the morning. I even started back college for Nursing. Helps me make good choices and makes me a lot more positive and energetic! I started off at 120mg at night but left me groggy & drowsy the next day until it was time for me to take it again at night so I dropped down to 40mg & it works wonders! I agree that every medicine isn't for everybody but definitely give it a try."

KayKay407 August 13, 2013

"Makes me really sleepy. But it cancels out my suicidal thoughts and depression, down side is the sedation."

johnconners (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2013