User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Learn more about Tamsulosin.

Tamsulosin Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Tamsulosin to treat Urinary Tract Stones

"Excellent! Just passed a 5 x 6 mm stone after 4 days of taking this medicine. I didn't believe it will work but I am amazed. I would definitely recommend it even though it does have some side effects such as drowsiness etc."

MrinalUK May 27, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Flomax helped me to pass a 6mm stone with very minimal drama. I am a female who passes a stone about every five years and have typically needed procedures to remove even smaller stones that would get stuck en route. I went to the Dr. with familiar flank pain, had a CT, and was prescribed Flomax. It took three weeks but I had minimal pain (took plain old Advil) and could carry on with work. AWESOME! No side effects either, which I had been worried about."

CanadaPanda May 17, 2015

"My family nicknamed me the stone and gravel factory. Start off with I've had 3 Lithotripsy's to break up monster stones; on top of passing over 100 (3mm or less stones). Needless to say it was painful - the last occurance I was taken to the emergency room due to get this..... dry heving..... and dehydration (This is the first time I'd ever had the uncontrollable vomit/heving issue). So on the ambulance ride from hell they shoot me with morphine it did little to nothing for the pain - but made me feel good about huting. The doc comes in and hits me with Tamsuloin in the IV...... SECONDS later the pain is nearly gone. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Since then I have a standing script for the stuff and I'm fully human again."

Able to breath (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have cysteine stones...huge & chronic & constant! Passed 9 small stones within 30 mins after taking. And with very little pain in the uretha but doesn't help much with the ureter pain. I will use this again but not on a daily routine. Only when needed. Worry about side effects about a medicine meant for men."

Tlc3po (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Prescribed Flomax for a stone I had for 7 weeks working through, came out with minimal drama within 48 hours. No really side effects."

kaizermattias... April 4, 2015

"(Preface by saying this is my first and hopefully last stone). I had sudden and severe lower-abdomen pain on a Monday, so I went to the emergency room. I had a CT scan performed and the hospital discovered a 3.5mm obstruction in my ureter. I was feeling fine by that evening when I was released. They gave me a prescription for Flomax but I received Tamsulosin (the generic equivalent). My urologist told me to continue with the Tamsulosin and to filter all my urine. I had no further pain until the weekend, Saturday into Sunday it was pretty bad, but I didn't pass anything. Come Wednesday (8 days after starting Tamsulosin), I had PASSED the stone with NO PAIN. Don't listen to all the horror stories. Take the Tamsulosin!"

emdkay (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I was on this for 3 days. I annoy sure if it helped the stone or not, but I felt completely out of it. I drove the first day to an appointment and was terrified, felt worse than drinking a ton of alcohol. Luckily made it, but then caught myself staggering around and not being able to focus or even form complete sentences at times. After two days I stopped taking it....I have never felt this out of it on anything else. Am curious to know what actually occurred in my body to create all those side effects. I have a little pain from my kidney stone, but have a clear head again. Had to skip work 2 days it was bad, driving and decision making was chaotic!"

FoggyonFlomax (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "This was my third kidney stone. The first two (3mm) were very painful and I used pain killers, no flomax. The ER did a CAT scan and said this stone was 5 mm and located at the junction between the ureter and kidney, and was causing mild hydronephrosis. They gave me flomax and pain meds. I do not like to take medicine and since pain was bearable at that point, I just took the flomax not the pain meds. I was skeptical since the FDA has only approved Flomax in men with prostate issues but doctor explained it helps the ureter stretch. I took it in the evenings after dinner and had no noticeable side effects. Took about two weeks, but stone passed and I never took a singe pain pill - did drink tons of water, had a bit of cramping, that's all!"

Santa Paula (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

"Passed a 9 mm stone in three days. A little pain, but better than having the big rock killing me softly. I am in Flomax again, hoping to pass a bunch of stones I have in my left kidney again."

Rocky(not the boxer) January 22, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Been on Flomax for 6 weeks. 4.8 mm stone still hasn't passed. It is getting close though as I feel like a small elephant on a pogo stick is jumping on my bladder."

scoopself December 5, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I been drinking the pills for one week already and still haven't pass my kidney stone."

Jbau November 9, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I will recommend Flomax to anyone with kidney stones..mine was a sharp intense pain on the left side of my back. I haven't had this kind of pain in my life. It's worse than child labour pain. Been battling with the pain until the urologist prescribed this medicine..in less than 2 weeks I passed it out with no pain."

Okereke Maggie October 14, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Suffer from uric acid stones on an average of every 4-6 months. Was given a prescription for Flomax last ER visit; filled it to keep on hand. Two days ago had an attack and decided to try the Flomax. Amazingly, the stone passed in an hour and a half instead of the next day!....This has never happened before and it really shortened the terrible pain which usually lasts many hours. I will definitely try this next time I have an attack, which I KNOW will happen again."

Carolelinda (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Have suffered with uric acid kidney stones for years, approximately every 4-5 months. Pain usually bad enough to go to ER. Today I had an attack and decided to take some Flomax. The ER usually sends me home with a prescription but have never been given Flomax at hospital. AMAZINGLY, within an Hour and a half I passed the stone! This has never happened so quickly as it usually does not pass till the next day! Next time I have an attack (and unfortunately there will be a next time) I am reaching for Flomax right away. Still cannot believe this happened."

Carolelinda September 30, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Had pain left side. Cat scan showed 6mm stone in ureter. Started Flomax twice daily and drank lots of water with lemon juice. Started Flomax on Monday night. Passed stone on Friday morning. No pain. Never needed Lortabs. I have had kidney stone surgery twice. To be able to pass a 6mm stone with no surgery and no pain is wonderful. $12 versus $30,000."

Steve1218 August 8, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I get Kidney Stones on a near daily basis trying to pass. I've been in the hospital a total of 35 times in the last year. Each for Kidney Stone pain. After my third visit the doc gave me Flomax and it passed 5 stones all 3-5mm in size within 30 minutes of me taking it. Since then no other Doctor would give it to me because "I didn't need it". Well finally yesterday my doc agreed with me and wrote the prescription I passes a 8mm stone 30 mins after taking the Flomax. I HIGHLY recommended this to anyone who is suffering from a kidney stone. It reduces the pain and makes the passing a WHOLE lot easier."

Eldar (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have had a 6mm stone for almost a year without any problems. Almost a week ago I started having pain with the stone so I went to urologist. He put me on Flomax and pain medicine. He said if it didn't pass in a few days I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery especially because of the stint. I passed the stone a few hours after second dose of Flomax."

Lamerlemarks (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have been taking Flomax for 7 days and drinking plenty of water and no I still have not passed either kidney stone. So I hope I can get relief super fast."

still no relief (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I had a jagged 3-4mm stone in my right kidney for months. It wasn't causing much pain, but it was causing regular bleeding. I gave up on it passing on its own and finally went to the family Dr. expecting to hear that I would need a surgical procedure. BUT, the Dr. put me on FloMax; and after just 10 days on this med I passed the stone with very little pain! I regret waiting so long to get help with it. The only side effect I had was the sexual dysfunction described, but it was so minimal it wasn't bothersome enough for me to stop taking the medicine. And the side effect went away after stopping the medicine."

OceanM (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

"Diagnosed with 2x3mm stone in ER on a Friday night. Given antibiotic, pain medicine, and Flomax. Passed stone within 48 hours! Amazing as I am a skeptical female RN. Side effects- only mild dizziness with first dose. Do I attribute ease of passage with this medication- certainly. "

zevvy April 1, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I passed a 4mm stone about an hour after the first pill. So, yeah, I guess it worked OK for me."

flomax_fan (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin): "I have bilateral medullary sponge kidney disease and pass stones almost daily. Although it does not relieve the pain, it does help pass the stones and prevent an obstruction. I no longer experience any of the side effects like dizziness, but I also take it at night. I have a history of cardiac reactions to medications and sometimes a stone will cause my heart rate to skyrocket to 160 with a blood pressure of 165/100, but it is clearly the stones and not caused by Flomax. My only complaint is that my insurance refuses to pay for this medicine because I am a woman. I don't think that is right, and I'm not going to accept that kind of discrimination. Even my doctor's office is surprised by the discrimination."

MSKer March 7, 2014

"I have had kidney stones for 2 years now off and on. I was prescribed Flomax for the first round. I passed the stone. This round the medicine has made me 'faint' have very low blood pressure and just feel like I have the flu. I am 25 year old Female."

Krystal 25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2013

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Have been on it several times for stones. I actually request it from my doctor each time I have a problem stone. While it helps pass stones easily the dizziness is a major factor for myself. But I will continue to use it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin): "Helped pass large (7 mm) stone in 4 days."

marsha5352 August 27, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Urinary Tract Stones