User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Learn more about Prazosin.

Nightmares 2 reviews 0 medications

Raynaud's Syndrome 0 reviews 49 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prazosin reviews 30 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Prazosin

Review by The Mog:

Minipress (prazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Had little effect on Benign Prostate Hyperplasia symptoms. Dosage 1mg at night.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by jwq:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started by getting sick after eating, then nightmares, sleeplessness, panic attacks, agoraphobia, high anxiety, and being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I was put on different medicines by different doctors and nothing worked. The different meds made me gain 40lbs, gave me diabetes, dyskinesia, and SSRI's have horrible withdrawal symptoms when you run out of medicines. A new VA doctor recently prescribed Prazosin. After three days, I no longer felt like I was constantly shaking inside me. I don't feel like a speaker reverberating through me when I hear a loud or sudden noise. I went from sleeping 4-5 hours per night to double that. I don't have nightmares anymore, and I stopped getting sick from anxiety. Prazosin is a miracle to me.

May 6, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by PRETTY REDCAR:

Minipress (prazosin) for High Blood Pressure: This medication acts fast, causes me be be jittery, my blood pressure is low and then settles down after a few hours, then my blood pressure rises again. I take 2 a day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by jessiekac:

For Nightmares: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and nothing else worked for my nightmares. This did, have had no nightmares since I started taking it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by M.M. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've been taking prazosin to help with Post traumatic stress disorder nightmares for over 5 years. When my doctor told me about it I was ready to try anything to get the nightmares to stop as they were the most intrusive continuous PTSD symptom of mine. I started at 1mg, worked my way to 2mg and found that it worked very well. For a couple of years now, I am only taking 0.5mg as a maintenance dose. The only side-effect I ever experienced was some dizziness upon standing after I took it at night but that disappeared quickly.

January 30, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by ar_chie:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great meds...been taking zolpidem daily plus over the counter sleep meds every single night for a year...changed docs, gave me this for paranoia and nightmare, now I don't take zolpidem and otc sleep meds. My nightmare slowly changed to different dream, not to extreme anymore. I don't speed and beat red lights anymore when driving. This at night and bupropion in the morning will help you find peace. No negative impact on sexual performance. Still run 3k every day and work out.

January 17, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by ann1987 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great medication I have been on this for a year now and it has helped relieve most of my nightmares from ptsd.

October 29, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by jayelle235235:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on the Prazosin for 4 weeks, I started on 1mg and after the first week I went to 2mg. I'm still having nightmares and I'm exhausted during the day. I've also gained 9lbs since starting it. I'm very frustrated. I haven't had any other side effects like dizziness.

July 17, 2013 12:32 AM

Review by Beckyarts:

For Nightmares: Prazosin had been a God send. I had nightmares EVERY night. Was prescribed this medicine and they ended almost immediately, still have crazy dreams but not nightmares.

July 5, 2013 11:39 PM

Review by sweettalk2013 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I take 4mg at night and feel terrific in the morning! Some nausea at bedtime, but totally worth it to have a good night sleep. I also take Viibyrd. I have noticed a significant amount of weight loss too. I have lost over 48 pounds in four months time. I'm happy, very focused and feel well rested. My depression has faded as the weeks go by. I'm glad the DR. felt comfortable putting me on Minipress. I was taking so may pills that had me in a continuous circle. Now I'm on two medications and they are working wonderful together! It sure beats 7 different medications working against each other.

May 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by Jen, H:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have post traumatic stress disorder, and started having nightmares about 2 months ago. I was so afraid to go to bed at night because I did not want to relive this experience. My dreams were happening 3-4 times a week and my neighbor actually called the police one night as she thought I was being attacked. I finally went to my therapist asking for sleeping pills. She gave me Prazosin which I begrudgingly took. Thank God! I am no longer afraid to sleep. No more flashlights or bats in my bed! I do have a few side effects of being tired, and upset tummy, but I'm sure it will taper off. Love it, love it, love it.

May 13, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Missy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have had horrible, gory nightmares for years and years. With the first dose of Prazosin 2mg they are gone. I know I have been dreaming but don't remember the content. Lately the dreams are back so increased to 4mg. but have total urinary incontinence in the morning so will have to go back to 2mg. This is a miracle for me.

May 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Review by Williamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: They do work to stop nightmares, all dreams in fact but the dose of 3 per night before bedtime makes me sluggish and tired in the day, lack of energy. If I come back to 2 at bedtime I lose the tired feeling in the day but have nightmares, not every night but sometimes. I do think this is a pretty good medicine for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder though as there are not many side effects. I read where like 7% experience what I do in being tired, lack of energy. If it were not for that side effect this would be wonderful for me. This is by far one of the best meds I have received from the VA for PTSD even with the side effects.

April 24, 2013 7:31 PM

Review by Louis III (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have just started this medicine and it is working I may have to go to 5mg though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2012 10:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I used to have terrifying, gory nightmares. Now I sleep through the night with very few times having to deal with horrible dreams. It does make me pretty dizzy though which in the middle of the day at work does not help.

August 26, 2012 10:27 AM

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on Abilify, Lamictal, and Clonazepam for a year and a half with marginal improvement in my psychotic symptoms. Upon doing research, I learned that norepinehrine might play a huge role in psychotic symptoms in fear-based mental illnesses. I suffered from nightmares in addition to my paranoid symptoms. I convinced my psychiatrist to put me on Prazosin because it was an alpha-1 adrenergic blocker which reduces the amount of norepinehrine in the body. My theory was that if I reduced the amount of norepinehrine being produced, that I would see a reduction in my paranoia. My theory has proven to be true as I have been on prazosin for 3 weeks now. A miracle indeed.

November 22, 2011 12:41 PM

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Very effective in stopping many decades of violent nightmares. There was a difference for me starting the first night on 1 mg. After several weeks I'm now taking 3mg nightly and have had good success with sleeping better throughout the night. The times I do wake up I'm calmer than in the past, and can go back to sleep far more easily.

August 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Review by bunkerhawk:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Vivid nightmares have been greatly reduced.

July 31, 2011 4:31 AM

Review by PollysFolly:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have had my pulse rate go way up and my blood pressure both systolic and diastolic go way down. My heart was pounding. But I find that with this medicine I can sleep a bit more and I had to quit taking my lisinopril in the morning. I still have nightmares but I can wake up and say to myself oh good I'm not there anymore and it was just a dream.

July 8, 2011 11:30 PM

Minipress (prazosin) for High Blood Pressure: Used this to replace Tenormin which was causing sexual problems (total erectile dysfunction) and mood issues. Taking 1mg daily at night. No ED difficulties, in fact, it has the opposite effect for me, like a daily use ED drug. Blood pressure controlled just as effectively and my mood is back to normal, but not sure if that's because the ED issues are resolved or if Tenormin was impacting my mood.

March 3, 2011 6:32 PM

Review by LPN MLC:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started on this medication and since I have taken it the nightmares have been gone. If I forget to take it, then I will have them. This medication has really helped me get a good nights sleep, every night.

October 31, 2010 10:42 PM

Review by jk13:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: This medication really put a stop to the nightmares, as well as the flashbacks for me. The side effects are very minimal (if I stand up too quickly - I get a bit dizzy), and it's really been nothing but a good thing for me.

September 16, 2010 12:17 PM

Review by kiva49:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I just turned 61 today and have suffered from anxiety, panic, PTSD my entire adult life. Have taken every medication ever made. Have tried for years to convince MD's and shrinks that problem was physiological, e.g. something starts an adreneline rush, fight or flight kicks in and then it won't quit. Thus, I am in constant, 24/7 state of high anxiety. Finally my doctor told me about prazosin - said, try it, it can't hurt. First day, extreme sadness and depression. After that, startle response, adreneline and fight/flight and chronic panic-GONE- almost like magic. Too high a dose and they act like "happy pills"; not enough adreneline to motivate me to do basic chores, etc. Found the right amount--2 mg at bed each night, and I have a life. Wow.

August 19, 2010 2:46 AM

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: This medicine completely got rid of all of my nightmares the first night I took it. It has been a few months now and I've only gone up one more mg so it is still working great. For me though, the great benefit was that it got rid of all of my dreams not just nightmares and for me that was a big relief.

July 1, 2010 11:41 PM

Minipress (prazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: I am 66 and have been taking 1 mg of Minipress/prazosin per day for BPH for at least 25 years. It works well with minimal side effects. I still get up about 1x per night to urinate but the stream is reasonably strong and I can fully empty my bladder. Missing a dose for 2 or 3 days results in noticeable degradation of initiation, stream flow and complete emptying of bladder. Some years ago I tried Cardura which had more impact on the BPH symptoms, but had unacceptable side effects on potency and desire. Minipress is available as a generic and for me is a superior solution.

November 19, 2009 11:33 PM