User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Learn more about Prazosin.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 25 reviews 6 medications

Raynaud's Syndrome 0 reviews 49 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prazosin reviews 36 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Prazosin

Review by Ally Rowe:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Prazosin is the best thing that has happened to me. I've gone from 3-4 nightmares a week to occasionally one every other week, but when I have them I have no reactions and I forget the content immediately upon awakening. I don't have any side-effects or problems with lowered blood pressure in the morning. Seriously, ask your prescribing doctor about this medicine if you're struggling with nightmares. It will change your life.

December 15, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started taking this medication and was finally able to sleep. Prazosin has little side-effects and makes a huge difference with my nightmares and sleep disturbances. I find the nasal congestion difficult to manage. I started taking nasal decongestant spray against doctors recommendations (due to risk of dependence) but it is the only thing that has helped me.

December 13, 2014 9:52 AM

Review by M.combs (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Nightmares: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and suffer from night terrors and have been on prazosin and this does not help with my night terrors.

November 22, 2014 5:37 PM

Review by ptsdnyc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been taking 2 mg prazosin for a month. My nightmares have decreased and I'm actually having dreams un related to trauma. I do feel dizzy and feel a bit faint, my hands are shaky and I'm experiencing consipation,but nothing I can't handle. The fact that my daytime flashbacks have decreased and I can sleep and are without nightmatres is worth the risk.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by dwildwoman80 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Nightmares: Due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and me screaming and attacking people in my sleep, I take Prazosin and it REALLY works!

September 9, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by The Mog:

Minipress (prazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Had little effect on Benign Prostate Hyperplasia symptoms. Dosage 1mg at night.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by jwq:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started by getting sick after eating, then nightmares, sleeplessness, panic attacks, agoraphobia, high anxiety, and being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I was put on different medicines by different doctors and nothing worked. The different meds made me gain 40lbs, gave me diabetes, dyskinesia, and SSRI's have horrible withdrawal symptoms when you run out of medicines. A new VA doctor recently prescribed Prazosin. After three days, I no longer felt like I was constantly shaking inside me. I don't feel like a speaker reverberating through me when I hear a loud or sudden noise. I went from sleeping 4-5 hours per night to double that. I don't have nightmares anymore, and I stopped getting sick from anxiety. Prazosin is a miracle to me.

May 6, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by PRETTY REDCAR:

Minipress (prazosin) for High Blood Pressure: This medication acts fast, causes me be be jittery, my blood pressure is low and then settles down after a few hours, then my blood pressure rises again. I take 2 a day.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by jessiekac:

For Nightmares: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and nothing else worked for my nightmares. This did, have had no nightmares since I started taking it.

April 7, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by Joshua B.:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Started yesterday. Not only am I calmer but it was first night without nightmares and flash backs from Iraq. No waking up in a puddle if sweat, was up only 1 time to pee and easily fell back asleep. It helps with my breathing and calmness during the day also. Hope it stays this way. Been too long since I had good sleep with out being haunted at night while sleeping.

March 5, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by M.M. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've been taking prazosin to help with Post traumatic stress disorder nightmares for over 5 years. When my doctor told me about it I was ready to try anything to get the nightmares to stop as they were the most intrusive continuous PTSD symptom of mine. I started at 1mg, worked my way to 2mg and found that it worked very well. For a couple of years now, I am only taking 0.5mg as a maintenance dose. The only side-effect I ever experienced was some dizziness upon standing after I took it at night but that disappeared quickly.

January 30, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by ar_chie:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great meds...been taking zolpidem daily plus over the counter sleep meds every single night for a year...changed docs, gave me this for paranoia and nightmare, now I don't take zolpidem and otc sleep meds. My nightmare slowly changed to different dream, not to extreme anymore. I don't speed and beat red lights anymore when driving. This at night and bupropion in the morning will help you find peace. No negative impact on sexual performance. Still run 3k every day and work out.

January 17, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by ann1987 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great medication I have been on this for a year now and it has helped relieve most of my nightmares from ptsd.

October 29, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by jayelle235235:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on the Prazosin for 4 weeks, I started on 1mg and after the first week I went to 2mg. I'm still having nightmares and I'm exhausted during the day. I've also gained 9lbs since starting it. I'm very frustrated. I haven't had any other side effects like dizziness.

July 17, 2013 12:32 AM

Review by Beckyarts:

For Nightmares: Prazosin had been a God send. I had nightmares EVERY night. Was prescribed this medicine and they ended almost immediately, still have crazy dreams but not nightmares.

July 5, 2013 11:39 PM

Review by sweettalk2013 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I take 4mg at night and feel terrific in the morning! Some nausea at bedtime, but totally worth it to have a good night sleep. I also take Viibyrd. I have noticed a significant amount of weight loss too. I have lost over 48 pounds in four months time. I'm happy, very focused and feel well rested. My depression has faded as the weeks go by. I'm glad the DR. felt comfortable putting me on Minipress. I was taking so may pills that had me in a continuous circle. Now I'm on two medications and they are working wonderful together! It sure beats 7 different medications working against each other.

May 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by Jen, H:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have post traumatic stress disorder, and started having nightmares about 2 months ago. I was so afraid to go to bed at night because I did not want to relive this experience. My dreams were happening 3-4 times a week and my neighbor actually called the police one night as she thought I was being attacked. I finally went to my therapist asking for sleeping pills. She gave me Prazosin which I begrudgingly took. Thank God! I am no longer afraid to sleep. No more flashlights or bats in my bed! I do have a few side effects of being tired, and upset tummy, but I'm sure it will taper off. Love it, love it, love it.

May 13, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Missy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have had horrible, gory nightmares for years and years. With the first dose of Prazosin 2mg they are gone. I know I have been dreaming but don't remember the content. Lately the dreams are back so increased to 4mg. but have total urinary incontinence in the morning so will have to go back to 2mg. This is a miracle for me.

May 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Review by Williamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: They do work to stop nightmares, all dreams in fact but the dose of 3 per night before bedtime makes me sluggish and tired in the day, lack of energy. If I come back to 2 at bedtime I lose the tired feeling in the day but have nightmares, not every night but sometimes. I do think this is a pretty good medicine for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder though as there are not many side effects. I read where like 7% experience what I do in being tired, lack of energy. If it were not for that side effect this would be wonderful for me. This is by far one of the best meds I have received from the VA for PTSD even with the side effects.

April 24, 2013 7:31 PM

Review by Louis III (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have just started this medicine and it is working I may have to go to 5mg though.

November 16, 2012 10:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I used to have terrifying, gory nightmares. Now I sleep through the night with very few times having to deal with horrible dreams. It does make me pretty dizzy though which in the middle of the day at work does not help.

August 26, 2012 10:27 AM

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on Abilify, Lamictal, and Clonazepam for a year and a half with marginal improvement in my psychotic symptoms. Upon doing research, I learned that norepinehrine might play a huge role in psychotic symptoms in fear-based mental illnesses. I suffered from nightmares in addition to my paranoid symptoms. I convinced my psychiatrist to put me on Prazosin because it was an alpha-1 adrenergic blocker which reduces the amount of norepinehrine in the body. My theory was that if I reduced the amount of norepinehrine being produced, that I would see a reduction in my paranoia. My theory has proven to be true as I have been on prazosin for 3 weeks now. A miracle indeed.

November 22, 2011 12:41 PM

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Very effective in stopping many decades of violent nightmares. There was a difference for me starting the first night on 1 mg. After several weeks I'm now taking 3mg nightly and have had good success with sleeping better throughout the night. The times I do wake up I'm calmer than in the past, and can go back to sleep far more easily.

August 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Review by bunkerhawk:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Vivid nightmares have been greatly reduced.

July 31, 2011 4:31 AM

Review by PollysFolly:

Minipress (prazosin) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have had my pulse rate go way up and my blood pressure both systolic and diastolic go way down. My heart was pounding. But I find that with this medicine I can sleep a bit more and I had to quit taking my lisinopril in the morning. I still have nightmares but I can wake up and say to myself oh good I'm not there anymore and it was just a dream.

July 8, 2011 11:30 PM