Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Learn more about Prazosin.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 27 reviews 6 medications

Raynaud's Syndrome 0 reviews 49 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prazosin reviews 43 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Prazosin

Review by sleeplesinseattle:

For Nightmares: I had an event trigger increased anxiety, panic attacks and recurring nightmares. Dr let me know it sounded like PTSD and suggested I try prozosin in addition to my normal medications. I started off on the lowest end of the dosage and after a couple weeks it was working well. Every few weeks I found the nightmare would come back and I did have to up the dose. That would stop it for another few weeks or more and when it happened again I'd up it again and now I take the max dose (I think it's 10). It's improved my sleep since I'm not waking up from this panic dream every hour. Cannot recommend enough for traumatic nightmares. Do have one side-effect- if I smoke a cigarette in the morning it almost always makes me puke. Why?

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 12:31 PM

Review by anon999:

For High Blood Pressure: This actually elevated my blood pressure dramatically and induced tachycardia and also gave me terrible headaches and nasal congestion.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2015 3:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: So I have been taking prazosin for over two years now. I started off in hospitals with a big breakdown and my anxiety shot through the roof. I had three awful experiences in a three year time span not to mention things that were added on during childhood. After going through countless medicines and finally telling my doctor what happened to me I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I started prazosin and went from having to re-live my experiences vividly and in a continuous loop all day, feeling everything that happened, constantly wanting to tear off my skin, couldn't talk to the opposite sex, depression, and anxiety attacks, in my nightmares to a nightmare every two weeks flashbacks on only days close to the events and rarely any anxiety. A miracle!

February 18, 2015 7:10 AM

Review by Laura4181996:

For Nightmares: I'm 18 and I have Post traumatic stress disorder along with major clinical depression and anxiety. I was treated in a ward and they put me on this to help me with my nightmares. I've had nightmares for a long time. This help a little. I used to have them every night but now I have them about twice a week maybe 3 times but it's much better than every night.

February 15, 2015 10:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Taken to relieve nightmares cause from PTSD. Works well but lowers my blood pressure. Leaves me short of breath and dizzy at times. Worth it to prevent horrible flashback dreams.

February 14, 2015 6:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately and been only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night due to it. This pill helped me get to sleep and stay asleep, it all felt like I was back to normal, not taking anything, just finally being able to sleep, and sleep well. It didn't make me tired, more of just being able to sleep. I felt as if my problems and worries were for later and now was for relaxation and sleep. I've tried a few other things for sleep such as Ambien, but none provided the satisfaction of being able to just go to sleep and sleep well with only the best of dreams. Instead of having nightmares of random things infused with my trouble and worries I had amazing dreams of the things I loved.

January 6, 2015 8:49 PM

Review by Bobenstein:

For Nightmares: I was put on prazosin to help with nightmares that were causing sleep problems. The very first night I took it was the first night in three months I didn't have a nightmare and slept through the night. I have been on it for 4 1/2 months now and had no nightmares. I have had some odd and sexual dreams but nothing disturbing.

December 31, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Ally Rowe:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Prazosin is the best thing that has happened to me. I've gone from 3-4 nightmares a week to occasionally one every other week, but when I have them I have no reactions and I forget the content immediately upon awakening. I don't have any side-effects or problems with lowered blood pressure in the morning. Seriously, ask your prescribing doctor about this medicine if you're struggling with nightmares. It will change your life.

December 15, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by PTSDandMe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started taking this medication and was finally able to sleep. Prazosin has little side-effects and makes a huge difference with my nightmares and sleep disturbances. I find the nasal congestion difficult to manage. I started taking nasal decongestant spray against doctors recommendations (due to risk of dependence) but it is the only thing that has helped me.

December 13, 2014 9:52 AM

Review by M.combs (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Nightmares: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and suffer from night terrors and have been on prazosin and this does not help with my night terrors.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 5:37 PM

Review by ptsdnyc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been taking 2 mg prazosin for a month. My nightmares have decreased and I'm actually having dreams un related to trauma. I do feel dizzy and feel a bit faint, my hands are shaky and I'm experiencing consipation,but nothing I can't handle. The fact that my daytime flashbacks have decreased and I can sleep and are without nightmatres is worth the risk.

October 23, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by dwildwoman80 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Nightmares: Due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and me screaming and attacking people in my sleep, I take Prazosin and it REALLY works!

September 9, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by The Mog:

Minipress (prazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Had little effect on Benign Prostate Hyperplasia symptoms. Dosage 1mg at night.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by jwq:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I started by getting sick after eating, then nightmares, sleeplessness, panic attacks, agoraphobia, high anxiety, and being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I was put on different medicines by different doctors and nothing worked. The different meds made me gain 40lbs, gave me diabetes, dyskinesia, and SSRI's have horrible withdrawal symptoms when you run out of medicines. A new VA doctor recently prescribed Prazosin. After three days, I no longer felt like I was constantly shaking inside me. I don't feel like a speaker reverberating through me when I hear a loud or sudden noise. I went from sleeping 4-5 hours per night to double that. I don't have nightmares anymore, and I stopped getting sick from anxiety. Prazosin is a miracle to me.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by PRETTY REDCAR:

Minipress (prazosin) for High Blood Pressure: This medication acts fast, causes me be be jittery, my blood pressure is low and then settles down after a few hours, then my blood pressure rises again. I take 2 a day.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by jessiekac:

For Nightmares: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and nothing else worked for my nightmares. This did, have had no nightmares since I started taking it.

April 7, 2014 6:12 PM

Review by Joshua B.:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Started yesterday. Not only am I calmer but it was first night without nightmares and flash backs from Iraq. No waking up in a puddle if sweat, was up only 1 time to pee and easily fell back asleep. It helps with my breathing and calmness during the day also. Hope it stays this way. Been too long since I had good sleep with out being haunted at night while sleeping.

March 5, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by M.M. (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've been taking prazosin to help with Post traumatic stress disorder nightmares for over 5 years. When my doctor told me about it I was ready to try anything to get the nightmares to stop as they were the most intrusive continuous PTSD symptom of mine. I started at 1mg, worked my way to 2mg and found that it worked very well. For a couple of years now, I am only taking 0.5mg as a maintenance dose. The only side-effect I ever experienced was some dizziness upon standing after I took it at night but that disappeared quickly.

January 30, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by ar_chie:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great meds...been taking zolpidem daily plus over the counter sleep meds every single night for a year...changed docs, gave me this for paranoia and nightmare, now I don't take zolpidem and otc sleep meds. My nightmare slowly changed to different dream, not to extreme anymore. I don't speed and beat red lights anymore when driving. This at night and bupropion in the morning will help you find peace. No negative impact on sexual performance. Still run 3k every day and work out.

January 17, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by ann1987 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Great medication I have been on this for a year now and it has helped relieve most of my nightmares from ptsd.

October 29, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by jayelle235235:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have been on the Prazosin for 4 weeks, I started on 1mg and after the first week I went to 2mg. I'm still having nightmares and I'm exhausted during the day. I've also gained 9lbs since starting it. I'm very frustrated. I haven't had any other side effects like dizziness.

July 17, 2013 12:32 AM

Review by Beckyarts:

For Nightmares: Prazosin had been a God send. I had nightmares EVERY night. Was prescribed this medicine and they ended almost immediately, still have crazy dreams but not nightmares.

July 5, 2013 11:39 PM

Review by sweettalk2013 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I take 4mg at night and feel terrific in the morning! Some nausea at bedtime, but totally worth it to have a good night sleep. I also take Viibyrd. I have noticed a significant amount of weight loss too. I have lost over 48 pounds in four months time. I'm happy, very focused and feel well rested. My depression has faded as the weeks go by. I'm glad the DR. felt comfortable putting me on Minipress. I was taking so may pills that had me in a continuous circle. Now I'm on two medications and they are working wonderful together! It sure beats 7 different medications working against each other.

May 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by Jen, H:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have post traumatic stress disorder, and started having nightmares about 2 months ago. I was so afraid to go to bed at night because I did not want to relive this experience. My dreams were happening 3-4 times a week and my neighbor actually called the police one night as she thought I was being attacked. I finally went to my therapist asking for sleeping pills. She gave me Prazosin which I begrudgingly took. Thank God! I am no longer afraid to sleep. No more flashlights or bats in my bed! I do have a few side effects of being tired, and upset tummy, but I'm sure it will taper off. Love it, love it, love it.

May 13, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Missy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have had horrible, gory nightmares for years and years. With the first dose of Prazosin 2mg they are gone. I know I have been dreaming but don't remember the content. Lately the dreams are back so increased to 4mg. but have total urinary incontinence in the morning so will have to go back to 2mg. This is a miracle for me.

May 3, 2013 1:38 PM