User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Learn more about Tamsulosin.

Urinary Tract Stones 32 reviews 16 medications

8.3
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 75 reviews 15 medications

6.2
Overactive Bladder 18 reviews 22 medications

5.5
Summary of Tamsulosin reviews 125 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Tamsulosin

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Flomax helped me to pass a 6mm stone with very minimal drama. I am a female who passes a stone about every five years and have typically needed procedures to remove even smaller stones that would get stuck en route. I went to the Dr. with familiar flank pain, had a CT, and was prescribed Flomax. It took three weeks but I had minimal pain (took plain old Advil) and could carry on with work. AWESOME! No side effects either, which I had been worried about."

CanadaPanda May 17, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I had been having difficulty getting started for some months, then 2 weeks ago I started getting a burning sensation when urinating. My doctor tested for an infection but found nothing. I have been taking this medication for 1 week. 12 hours after taking the first dose the effect was amazing, no difficulty, no burning. First morning I felt very slightly light-headed, but it passed within a minute or two. No other side effect."

David-A May 16, 2015

For Urinary Tract Stones: "My family nicknamed me the stone and gravel factory. Start off with I've had 3 Lithotripsy's to break up monster stones; on top of passing over 100 (3mm or less stones). Needless to say it was painful - the last occurance I was taken to the emergency room due to get this..... dry heving..... and dehydration (This is the first time I'd ever had the uncontrollable vomit/heving issue). So on the ambulance ride from hell they shoot me with morphine it did little to nothing for the pain - but made me feel good about huting. The doc comes in and hits me with Tamsuloin in the IV...... SECONDS later the pain is nearly gone. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Since then I have a standing script for the stuff and I'm fully human again."

Able to breath (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2015

For Overactive Bladder: "i was prescribed this crap almost 18 months ago and it has nearly killed me. Bad sleep to start with,tired all the time, dizzy, hard to breath and I couldn't do anything without gasping . I stopped this 3 days ago and its a friggin miracle. I feel great I can breath, can walk with gasping and had a good sleep last night. Well yes it could be something else. ---I have been to cardiologist --gastroenterogist-- and 3 more and they didn't see the relationship. Crap even had a angiogram after 2 STENTS that were done. Last angio said no need for stent and after that still felt terrible with symptoms above. I stopped tamsulosin and feel great. What a friggin joke medicine"

joe dillon (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I had severe urination problems at 64to 65 years of age. I couldn't hardly urinate when I wanted where I wanted. It was painful to urinate and could not empty out. I saw a urologist and had a camera stuck up my penis. My prostate is the size of battleship. I have been taking this tamsulosin for nine months and it has made it so I can urinate with out pain. It has been great. Side effects are not so. Retrograde ejaculation takes the fun out of orgasm. Sleepy and listless often. I think I am going to have surgery to ream out the prostate, and have been weighing the issues. You might as well try this stuff on and make your own decision. For now, it sure has helped. Before, I had to get up three or four times a night to pee a little."

MojoRisinn April 26, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I found Flomax very effective for increasing the size of my urine flow, and taking away the uncomfortable pressure I felt moments before urinating. I take the lower dose of .4MG, and have found that taking it every-other day is as effective for me as taking it daily."

Rick1360 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I have cysteine stones...huge & chronic & constant! Passed 9 small stones within 30 mins after taking. And with very little pain in the uretha but doesn't help much with the ureter pain. I will use this again but not on a daily routine. Only when needed. Worry about side effects about a medicine meant for men."

Tlc3po (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Prescribed Flomax for a stone I had for 7 weeks working through, came out with minimal drama within 48 hours. No really side effects."

kaizermattias... April 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Stones: "(Preface by saying this is my first and hopefully last stone). I had sudden and severe lower-abdomen pain on a Monday, so I went to the emergency room. I had a CT scan performed and the hospital discovered a 3.5mm obstruction in my ureter. I was feeling fine by that evening when I was released. They gave me a prescription for Flomax but I received Tamsulosin (the generic equivalent). My urologist told me to continue with the Tamsulosin and to filter all my urine. I had no further pain until the weekend, Saturday into Sunday it was pretty bad, but I didn't pass anything. Come Wednesday (8 days after starting Tamsulosin), I had PASSED the stone with NO PAIN. Don't listen to all the horror stories. Take the Tamsulosin!"

emdkay (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I was on this for 3 days. I annoy sure if it helped the stone or not, but I felt completely out of it. I drove the first day to an appointment and was terrified, felt worse than drinking a ton of alcohol. Luckily made it, but then caught myself staggering around and not being able to focus or even form complete sentences at times. After two days I stopped taking it....I have never felt this out of it on anything else. Am curious to know what actually occurred in my body to create all those side effects. I have a little pain from my kidney stone, but have a clear head again. Had to skip work 2 days it was bad, driving and decision making was chaotic!"

FoggyonFlomax (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "This was my third kidney stone. The first two (3mm) were very painful and I used pain killers, no flomax. The ER did a CAT scan and said this stone was 5 mm and located at the junction between the ureter and kidney, and was causing mild hydronephrosis. They gave me flomax and pain meds. I do not like to take medicine and since pain was bearable at that point, I just took the flomax not the pain meds. I was skeptical since the FDA has only approved Flomax in men with prostate issues but doctor explained it helps the ureter stretch. I took it in the evenings after dinner and had no noticeable side effects. Took about two weeks, but stone passed and I never took a singe pain pill - did drink tons of water, had a bit of cramping, that's all!"

Santa Paula (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Doc prescribed tamsulosin to help with moderate Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia symptoms after I underwent the Urologix Cooltherm TUMT treatment in his office. The TUMT treatment basically cooks the interior part of the two prostatic lobes with microwaves. Cool idea, though sounds awful but easier than getting a dental cleaning. TUMT is a gradual cure as the cooked tissue is absorbed and eliminated over 6-12 weeks. Also the cooking can cause some temporary swelling and temporarily make symptoms worse Effects: -immediate help with BPH symptoms. -no dizziness or similar. -some temporary feeling of muscle weakness but gone after a few days -1st day after starting had retrograde ejaculation; normal ejaculation daily -penis more sensitive, bigger flaccid."

Reddog311 February 14, 2015

For Urinary Tract Stones: "Passed a 9 mm stone in three days. A little pain, but better than having the big rock killing me softly. I am in Flomax again, hoping to pass a bunch of stones I have in my left kidney again."

Rocky(not the boxer) January 22, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Been on Flomax for 6 weeks. 4.8 mm stone still hasn't passed. It is getting close though as I feel like a small elephant on a pogo stick is jumping on my bladder."

scoopself December 5, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I been drinking the pills for one week already and still haven't pass my kidney stone."

Jbau November 9, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I will recommend Flomax to anyone with kidney stones..mine was a sharp intense pain on the left side of my back. I haven't had this kind of pain in my life. It's worse than child labour pain. Been battling with the pain until the urologist prescribed this medicine..in less than 2 weeks I passed it out with no pain."

Okereke Maggie October 14, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Suffer from uric acid stones on an average of every 4-6 months. Was given a prescription for Flomax last ER visit; filled it to keep on hand. Two days ago had an attack and decided to try the Flomax. Amazingly, the stone passed in an hour and a half instead of the next day!....This has never happened before and it really shortened the terrible pain which usually lasts many hours. I will definitely try this next time I have an attack, which I KNOW will happen again."

Carolelinda (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Have suffered with uric acid kidney stones for years, approximately every 4-5 months. Pain usually bad enough to go to ER. Today I had an attack and decided to take some Flomax. The ER usually sends me home with a prescription but have never been given Flomax at hospital. AMAZINGLY, within an Hour and a half I passed the stone! This has never happened so quickly as it usually does not pass till the next day! Next time I have an attack (and unfortunately there will be a next time) I am reaching for Flomax right away. Still cannot believe this happened."

Carolelinda September 30, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I had to stop taking Flomax because it made my sinuses completely clogged. I could not sleep because I had to keep my mouth open to breathe, which caused dry mouth and sore throat. Never got any sleep on it. It also caused retrograde ejaculation, where the semen goes back into the bladder instead of out the end of the penis. The short time I was on it helped the urination a little but, but not a lot."

Bert62 September 5, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Flomax improved my ability to pee however it also made me listless and I experienced dizziness when changing positions suddenly. After a (1) month trial I am giving it up. For me the benefits are not worth the side effects."

Jim W9 September 1, 2014

For Overactive Bladder: "Tamsulosin keeps me sexually active with more energy but after 2 months of taking the medicine one a month my memory started going blank for one to two minutes and I could not talk or remember anything at all for the two minutes. I decided to stop taking Tamsulosin and I returned to normal. When I came back to US the Dr. did all kind of test and they were normal."

jose dominguez August 28, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Didn't seem very effective, increased my heart rate esp when standing. Made me dizzy sometimes, especially when changing positions."

philtech (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2014

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Had pain left side. Cat scan showed 6mm stone in ureter. Started Flomax twice daily and drank lots of water with lemon juice. Started Flomax on Monday night. Passed stone on Friday morning. No pain. Never needed Lortabs. I have had kidney stone surgery twice. To be able to pass a 6mm stone with no surgery and no pain is wonderful. $12 versus $30,000."

Steve1218 August 8, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I get Kidney Stones on a near daily basis trying to pass. I've been in the hospital a total of 35 times in the last year. Each for Kidney Stone pain. After my third visit the doc gave me Flomax and it passed 5 stones all 3-5mm in size within 30 minutes of me taking it. Since then no other Doctor would give it to me because "I didn't need it". Well finally yesterday my doc agreed with me and wrote the prescription I passes a 8mm stone 30 mins after taking the Flomax. I HIGHLY recommended this to anyone who is suffering from a kidney stone. It reduces the pain and makes the passing a WHOLE lot easier."

Eldar (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Urinating well, but took several months for full effect. Still going twice a night. But flow is good. I would say this is the best thing since sliced bread if it weren't for the sexual side effects. My orgasms before taking Flomax were very intense. Now after four months it is like I even don't want to have sex. There is build up, but no release whatsoever."

Billy Joe Jim Bob (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2014