User Reviews for Tamsulosin

Also known as: Flomax

Learn more about Tamsulosin.

Urinary Tract Stones 54 reviews 16 medications

8.3
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 90 reviews 15 medications

6.1
Overactive Bladder 22 reviews 22 medications

5.2
Summary of Tamsulosin reviews 166 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Tamsulosin

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Six weeks postpartum of having my baby I started experiencing UTI symptoms. After two rounds of antibiotics, ruling out appendicitis, the dr. concluded it must be a kidney stone. Told me to drink lots of water. For a month I experienced dull pain, extreme pain, to no pain. Finally I had excruciating pain. My hubby drove me to the hospital. Went to the Outpatient building (to avoid ER cost). Got CT scan and KUB scan. The urologist fit us in that day to look over. I had a 7mm stone that had reached my ureter. She prescribed Flomax. After 1 dose and 9 hours later, I passed the stone. Didn't even feel it pass! Woke up next morning and didnt feel pain. Went back to Outpatient for KUB scan and showed no stone! Only symptoms were dizziness."

HME February 5, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I have severe back pain and have been vomiting"

DIGGER 1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Stones: "After 3 weeks of pain from a kidney stone the doctor prescribed flomax. Took one tablet and passed it in an hour. Could not believe it. Brilliant stuff."

Mk72 January 23, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I get stones frequently, have had lythotripsy for two of them. Finally I saw a new urologist and she gave me Flomax. I had Zero side effects. It didn't make me pee more often but when I did go it was like a raging river and moved my stone rift on out quickly. I will never have another stone without being prescribed Flomax and I tell any of my friends who get stones to use it. Also when I did pee it completely emptied my bladder/kidneys and relieves so much pressure. Life saver for sure !!!!"

Carvertwin77 January 23, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I have been taking Flomax-CR in tablet (pill) form for over two years for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. After few side effects, it performed as expected, I am able to sleep 5 ~ 6 hours without need to go to the washroom. However, after a year of taking Flomax-CR, constipation problems with bloated intestine appeared more and more frequently with more and more acute severe pain every time it occurred. Thanks to my wife, a chemist , found the probable cause was found after putting a tablet (pill) in an acid solution to mimic the gastric environment and observing the evolution with time. The tablet swells to the size of a small marshmallow and doesn't dissolve even after a month time. Looking at Flomax on internet, it appeared that it was usually provided as a capsule rather than a tablet. I consulted with my doctor, then my pharmacist and asked for capsules instead of tablets as well as a laxative to flush my intestine before starting the capsules. I have been taking capsules for five weeks now without any occurrence of constipation, bloating and abdominal cramps. A test was run to compare capsules versus tablets (pills), stimulating the stomach environment and using distilled water as a blank. The following picture shows clearly the results. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-hlDGSKHrGCYVZHcDJrTjlxZW8 In the acidic environment solution, the capsule dissolves within few hours at room temperature. The tablet swells to a small marshmallow size (10~15 mm) and sticks to the glass wall of the tube. Two weeks later, the swelled tablet is still not dissolved and its consistency is similar to non-set epoxy glue. In conclusion, it might be important to me to know ahead the side effects of all the non medical part of a prescribed drug entering the digestive system as much as the active ingredients. Constipation and abdominal cramps are listed as possible side effect for Flomax-CR which is a control released tablet. Web search shows that Flomax-CR is only available in Canada: The low rating (3/10) is for Flomax-CR (pills). I would give a rating (7/10) to Flomax in capsules."

Jeannot Lapin (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I was hit with severe pain on a Friday morning. Ended up in the emergency room with a 6mm kidney stone on my right side. I was given Morphine and Toradol thru IV. I didn't hurt as much Saturday. In Sunday the pain came back and I ended back in the ER. I ended up with an awful UTI with this kidney stone. This time I was prescribed an antibiotic and Flomax. I filled it Monday and took one immediately. My stomach felt a little weird. A little bloating occurred. I drank a lot of water with lemon and Gatorade. I eased up on pain meds Tues only took my flomax. Weds morning I took it early and went back to bed. I got up to pee and there it was at the bottom of toilet. Didn't hurt or feel it at all."

6MM (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Ten hours after taking the first dose I had a pulse rate of 126, atrial fibrillation, arrythmia, and high hypertension. I took no more."

PentecostalChristian January 17, 2016

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "age 74 on flow max/tamsulosin for 8 years. I started .4 mg & later to ,8 mg. I never had a problem while on it. Pee strong stream, no stones yet. Dr. prescribed Finesteride 2 years ago because Flomax alone was not enough to keep stream adequate. No problems. Tamsulosin alone kept me urinating for 8 years. Life is Better when you are peeing normally."

eddy mak January 15, 2016

For Overactive Bladder: "My Doctor prescribed Flomax Min Dose, I was on for 10 years for a weak urine stream. Looking back,the condition for the weak stream was probably more psychological, Stress related. All medical examinations indicated normal to small prostate size and normal PSA level. All blood work test showed normal. When I started the medication,my urine stream strength improved with no noted side effects, I was Happy. I was laid off, insurance ran out I couldn't afford the medication. I noticed after a few weeks that my Body was seriously depend on Tamsulosin. I could barely urinate & It still very painful. After 2 mo. condition improved a bit but still there, No infections.I'm fearful of taking meds long term. Doc didn't tell me this could happen. Don't know what 2 do! "

Retrograde ejac. developed (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2016

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Flomax helps in the passing of kidney stone had stone for two months but wasn't drinking enough water. I stared drinking 1gal of water every day also 3 glasses of lemon n water and 3 cups of hibiscus tea in two days passed stone."

ERNIE R December 30, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "After kidney stone surgery 3 weeks ago I was given the Flomax to rid myself of the smaller stones. After reading on line the horror stories of this drug's side effects, which included running nose, blurred vision and unable to achieve orgasm, I was very reluctant to use it. I'm happy to report in the limited time using Flomax, I've had no side effects. I mean none."

Rickysllc123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I have frequent kidney stone attacks. On one trip to the ER I was given a prescription for Flomax and decided to fill it. Next time I got an attack I took one and was amazed that the stone passed within about an hour! Normally I would have been in agony for hours before passing the stone. I make sure to carry Flomax with me now. Two days ago I got another attack, took one Flomax and the pain stopped and the stone passed shortly thereafter."

Needsleep1945 December 29, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "After a few days Flomax did work and increased my stream. I was unable to orgasm or ejaculate on this drug. If you have no interest in sex it does work. I took lowest dosage. I believe it was .04 MG I stopped taking the drug. Going to Dr. to try another."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "I felt like someone hit me in the back one day, it throbbed and felt swollen. It bothered me for a few hours. Two weeks later I couldn't pee and it hurt so bad I went to ER. They did cat scan to find a 6mm kidney stone in my ureter. They started me on Flomax. I followed up with my doctor and 2 weeks later I passed it with no pain except a little pain when I peed. I don't know if it were the Flomax or chanca piedra that I bought did it But it was painless and I was so worried. Now I will take it to my doctor to be analyzed."

Lynee1029 December 6, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Overactive Bladder: "After 4 years of taking Trospium doctor tried me on Flomax. Not only did it not work I expereinced terrible side effects including racing heart for 3 hours each day, sweating, heavy legs, stomach upset, lightheadness and shaking. Also went from not having to get up at all during the night to needing to get up and urinate 2-3 times each night. Now going back on the trospium"

Red1977 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Wow, Flomax made my stone pass with one dose after 3 months of pain, worry, CAT scans, and the urologist thinking it was prostatitis. Wish they gave it to me in the ER in August! Stone was 8mm x 5mm, and got stuck in three places on the way down. Thank you Flomax!"

BrianGock November 25, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Taken for only a week now, stream better, quantity or urine better, still get up during the night 2 maybe 3 times but this is better than every 30 mins, Side effects , stuffy nose , bad wind , blurred vision, tiredness , zero ejaculation (however feeling is same) erection not quite as erect as before so mainly sexual (and as im only 42 this maybe a deal breaker) drug works but side effects may overule use !! shame"

LittleBigJon November 25, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "It works well to control frequent urination but I'd rather keep changing my underwear than put up with the side effects - chemical castration, blurry vision, dizziness, imbalance. Now into second month with the hope that symptoms would abate. Instead they continue to get worse. Absolutely NOT worth taking."

Bernsie November 25, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "29years old. Kidney stone dropped me to the floor, in tears, on my first day of work @ a great new job. Manager had to drive me to ER. Not a good look in a blue collar line of work. Literally threw up on myself from the pain. Turned down morphine due to past narcotic dependency. Toradol saved me that day, but stones not gone. Got CT done, "One 5mm, two 2mm". Flomax for past three weeks. Just passed an 8mm stone....laughing & joyously celebrating! Haha I've watched my father suffer through a dozen stones. He never took flomax. I know that what I just passed should not have come out that easily/painlessly."

Whoa (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "dizziness/ blurred vision/ sorehead/ itchyrash but it did help flow rate of passing urine.but it did not stop the frequent trips to toilet at night 5/6 times .no full nights sleep.seeing professor to change drug if possible."

fe. (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for : "My doctor gave me Flomax to help get rid of urinary obstruction issues, the cause of which and exact reason for are still unknown. Am mostly writing to describe one of its more surprising side effects. 3 Weeks into the drug I start having very vivid and horrible dreams, every single night. Extremely bizarre dream scenarios, some sexual in nature but with a very twisted angle, some gore, some psychological, lucid dreams that make me feel like am having a schizophrenic breakdown in real life. Its fairly insane, and happening so regularely that I have no question its a side effect of the drug. Just wanted to warn people. If you are currently writing a screenplay for a horror film and are having writers block, this is the drug for you."

Stoothpick (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Has anyone had a stone 2 cm? Any information I find shows most people that have experienced Kidney stones measure to be in the mm range. I was puzzled about that, called Doctor and she confirmed once again, found in left kidney a 2.1 centimeter stone. This is my first time with stones....wonder what some of you may have experienced with a stone of that size?"

Shirley Ann63 November 5, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I had been getting up more frequently, recently 5x/night. I have other sleep issues, uncontrolled sleep apnea while on BiPAP, so waking more often left me sleepy. I then had surgery for an inguinal hernia. The anesthesia shut me down, I couldn't urinate and was catheterized. The doc put me on tamsulosin with immediate results. I generally get up once now. No side effects."

GotLucky (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

Flomax (tamsulosin) for Urinary Tract Stones: "Have one 4mm stone hung up between the kidney and bladder and another 5mm stone in the kidney. Have been on Flowmax for a month and while it has helped me to urinate more, the stone seems stuck. I am not happy with the side effects: stuffy nose, feeling dizzy and just off, also seems to cause some water retention. Would love to have the positive results other users have had but so far, no luck passing the stone."

DLSB October 17, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I had brachytherapy and it helps me pee a much heavier stream but I still feel like I have to pee all the time. When does it end?"

WilliamGary (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2015