User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim review summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It's currently 12:30am, and I'm wide awake on a school night typing this. I didn't exactly have all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but always have the urgency to pee. I went to urgent care, and the doctor prescribed me Bactrim. I've been on it for 3 days (today will be my 4th), and I have yet to see results. According to some of you, it doesn't start working until the 5th day, which still gives me hope since the doctor told me it would work within 2 days. What I have been seeing is nausea, diarrhea, shakiness, insomnia, extreme headaches, and loss of appetite. I really hope this works. The constant urge to pee pretty much ruins what little social life I have. Having to make constant trips to the bathroom doesn't fit well with football games.

October 13, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by Mr. Happy (taken for less than 1 month):

I ended up with a urinary tract infection due to my diabetes. My PA prescribed Bactrim and I have not experienced any side effects. The burning and urge to urinate, but even after 2 days still feel like the bladder was not emptied. It is day 5 and I noticed some discoloration in urine in the morning hours. I take it that is due to some bleeding. It went back to clear yellow tonight. I am carefully completing the course of this medication and hope it works for others like it has for me. I feel great!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by anonnn:

Seemed to clear up my infection, but started feeling nauseous the next day. Steadily got worse each day. On the fourth day developed a severe headache but slept it off. Doctor instructed me to stop taking it. Experienced severely high blood pressure. Also made my abdominal muscles feel weak

July 31, 2014 5:07 PM

Review by KittyBee:

I was prescribed Bactrim and felt worse right away. After reading the side effects, I told myself that what I was feeling was normal. I took the prescribed dosage (2 per day) for 5 days, feeling even worst on the 5th day - shaky, diarrhea, headache, nervousness, unable to sleep. Then after some research, I discovered that there also were interaction side effects with my blood pressure medications.

May 10, 2014 10:35 AM

I just started Bactrim. I have noticed a significant change for the better. For those of you that get yeast infections, eat lots of yogurt if you can. I have found this has helped me in the past.

January 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by GOOGS1951 (taken for less than 1 month):

Took Bactrim for 3 days. Cleared up the urinary tract infection but became very nauseous, weak, chills, sweats, no appetite and shaky. Still weak and somewhat nauseous after 3 days of not taking it.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 3:30 PM

Review by Ans247 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Bactrim DS 2x a day for 10 days to clear a urinary tract infection. I was having nausea, acid reflux and intestinal/digestive issues that felt like irritable bowel syndrome or Stomach Flu by the 3rd day. After the 5th day I decided to stop taking it and the infection is gone along with all side effects. I am glad I decided to stop taking it, it seems Bactrim DS 2x a day was a bit too much for me.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Kelly Lyn:

Great for urinary tract infection.

July 8, 2013 12:57 PM

Review by Sam b:

Always works well with no side effects.

July 1, 2013 9:45 PM

Review by Bactrim for uti (taken for less than 1 month):

Prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. On day 4 of medication and have been experiencing diarrhea since day 2. Severe nausea and no appetite. Terrible migraine and cannot sleep.

April 12, 2013 8:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It works awesome. If you have problems with this medicine it is probably due to being allergic to it, so stop taking it.

May 4, 2012 3:23 PM

Review by Guest1098:

I took Bactrim once for a Urinary Tract infection. I can't remember exactly how many days I was instructed to take the pill, but I know it was over a week. Everything was fine up until the 9th day, then my entire body broke out in hives.

April 22, 2012 2:18 PM

I took Bactrim for 3 days for a urinary tract infections. I found relief only hours after taking the antibiotics but experienced severe nausea that continued to get worse no matter how much water I drank or how much I ate. Needless to say, I will be calling my family doctor to try something else.

January 24, 2012 7:40 AM

Works great.

January 23, 2012 2:52 PM

Bactrim cleared up my urinary tract infection, but gave me a raging yeast infection. I now request Keflex for UTI's.

December 29, 2011 11:20 AM

I used this medication a few times to treat a urinary tract infections and two times I experienced severe allergic reactions where I had hives on my tongue, neck and face, and they left scars. Be careful.

December 16, 2011 3:04 PM

I took it with almost no side effects. I did have a headache one day, but that could have been from anything. My only complaint was that the pills were huge and hard to swallow.

October 12, 2011 11:41 AM

Caused joint and tendon pains, made my hand go numb and ruined my tendon in my thumb so it doesn't bend right now and sticks in place.

October 3, 2011 8:58 AM

I'm taking Bactrim twice a day for ten days. I was taking five day course of Cipro and had a migraine headache, which wouldn't go away. Cipro didn't even help me, I still had white blood cells and blood in my urine which makes for a bad urinary tract infection. The PA gave me Bactrim. I still have a slight headache but the UTI was so bad, I can deal with these side effects. The pressure in my bladder area has subsided and five more days to go. I can handle Bactrim.

September 14, 2011 7:41 PM

Review by erinmcg:

I took it for 5 days, and it seemed to help, but now 2 days after the last pills I'm in a lot of pain again. Perhaps it would've been more effective had I been on it a few more days.

August 6, 2011 3:55 PM

Review by Just me?:

Effective, but caused nausea, loss of appetite and migraines.

June 20, 2011 5:36 PM

I get frequent urinary tract infections and was prescribed Bactrim by a doctor at an urgent care center because Macrobid made me pretty nauseous and really tired. It seemed to clear up the infection well but made me extremely sick. I vomited constantly while on Bactrim. I ended up missing four days of school before deciding I couldn't keep taking it and called urgent care for a new prescription. The doctor I talked to when I called said I should never have been prescribed Bactrim because people who don't tolerate Macrobid well usually have even worse side effects while on Bactrim. Since then I have been prescribed Keflex when I get a UTI and have had no side effects at all.

May 5, 2011 11:30 PM

Review by indy500:

Today was the first day I took this medication. Two hours after, I experienced joint pain, blurred vision, back pain, a headache, chills, fever, nausea, cough and sore throat. This was in addition to my already severe urinary tract infection symptoms which I was sent to the ER for the night before, including, severe pain in pelvis, achy back (kidneys). Although, symptoms of a severe UTI can also be fever, pain in the flank (pain that runs along the back at about waist level), chills, and nausea, I believe the medication gave me the additional symptoms. I was fine all day long until around two hours after taking the pill. After about 3 hours, symptoms increasingly went away. I am not sure if the pills are working or if they wore off.

February 7, 2011 8:29 PM

Review by No Go:

Took this medicine during Chemo and Radiation. Did not work, may have been because of the Chemo and Radiation, just not sure. Was given Cipro and that did not work either. I am now on my 3rd of 5 day Levaquin dose and passed my AZO UTI over the counter test this morning, yea. Two months of a UTI is a bit much, although, I now know what works for future.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2011 2:29 PM

I took this medicine before bed and within 3 hours I got a severe sore throat and I felt like I had sometime lodged in the back of my mouth. The following morning I woke up to a very sore jaw and it hurts to open my mouth. The sore throat is still bad, however its not as severe as it first was. I only took one of the doses, so I do not know what would happen if I kept taking it (don't know how well it would treat the UTI). I've never had an allergic reaction to any other medicine.

January 5, 2011 1:11 PM