User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Review Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Acne

"I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

"This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

"Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

"I'm a teen with pretty bad acne. Within two weeks my skin had cleared up tremendously. Unfortunately, then I started getting red hives all over my body due to a allergic reaction."

teen girl April 20, 2015

"While I was only on Bactrim for one week, I feel like it was an experience to share! In this week I did notice a difference in my skin and it was probably the best my face has ever looked. That being said, I developed allergy symptoms pretty quickly but did not make the connection right away. High fever and nausea for a few days before a full-body rash on the 8th day. I was taking two pills a day. Always watch for symptoms and consult the doctor. I would still recommend this medication to others as it appeared VERY promising at clearing up my moderate hormonal acne. If I could go on it again, I would."

Anonymous1220 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

"I was suffering from acne since childhood.I tried Accutane but doesn't work for me.Tried any kind of drugs and creams prescribed by Dermatologist but nothing works.Recently I went to one dermatologist its Hospital Base clinic and she prescribed me Bactrim DS.I took it for a week and suddenly I just felt terrible I had severe fever and chills and after two days I noticed the rash all over my body I thought it's measles.but ouch! tachycardic,dehydration for just a week.When I visit my derma she said its Bactrim allergy.The bad thing is she has to send me to the Emergency. I was so happy at first because Bactrim cleared my acne in just a week but in the end it's horrible feeling that I almost dead."

Allendahaw (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2015

"Late September of 2014 I began to get hormonal cystic acne around my mouth, cheeks and chin. I tried a lot of different methods before finally reaching the end of my desperation. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me bactrim. I have seen nothing but great results--better than I could have hoped for. I had read plenty of reviews about bactrim and read that many people started to see results within 3 months of use. I too saw major results within that time frame. Patience is the key when taking bactrim but from my experiences with it, I promise it will be what you're acne prone skin has been dreaming of!"

LoRrdd April 8, 2015

"My 15yr old son had terrible acne due to being inherited. We tried every facial wash and lotion out there. The dermatologist tried a couple antibiotics and nothing seemed to work. Accutane was our next option which I didn't want to do. A month ago his primary doctor prescribed Bactrim for an infection and we were shocked when it TOTALLY cleared his face and back up! We called the docs office and he now takes it daily with no side effects! Such a blessing!"

Angelic365 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2015

"Im a 32 year old working mom of 4, who has dealt with acne for 14 years...extremely long story short. TRY IT, IT WORKS! Bactrim changed my life and gave me back my confidence. I feel good in my own skin now."

Marianneplus4 March 18, 2015

"The medicine worked SO well on my acne. Not even 10 days after beginning the prescription and my acne was already clearing up. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the Sulfa in the medicine and was rushed to the hospital because the reaction caused the platelet levels in my blood to drop to extremely dangerous levels. I'm still searching for a medicine that works like this one did without the sulfa in it."

Gwen019 February 20, 2015

"Thank goodness I am not allergic to sulfa! This medication worked like a charm on my roseasa hormonal cystic acne on my chin. I am 48 years old and it took me way too long to discover this miracle! Coupled with clindamyicin my face was clear within days!"

Anonymous February 12, 2015

"Bactrim worked miracles when I first started taking it. I was on it for almost 5 years, but it began to lose it's potency so I had to change. Overall, it helped a lot in clearing my acne. I did experience less of an appetite, but other than that it was a positive experience."

jjjjj29849857 December 30, 2014

"I had moderate to severe hormonal acne on my cheeks, and many breakouts on my chin and forehead as well. A combination of Aczone, Tazerac, and Bactrim (twice a day for about a month, then once a day, now I take it every other day) cleared up my skin almost completely. I rarely get any breakouts, and my skin is glowy. I think the Tazerac is most responsible for clearing up my scarring, so ask your doctor about that too. Bactrim was a lifesaver! SO happy I found it. "

Elise91 December 27, 2014

"I am a 40 something women with moderate hormonal acne. Did one round of Accutane with good results-but acne returned. Tried every other medicine and cream with no luck. Finally tried Bactrim and saw results in 2 DAYS! Been on it a week and have results better than Accutane. "

Stephbactrimuser December 16, 2014

"Hands down, the very best medication I've ever been on. My horrific cystic acne and litchen complex completely cleared in 4 months. Mostly clear within 2 weeks. The rest was just getting the dark spots to fade and some steroid cream for the litchen/eczema I had that surrounded all my acne. I suffered for 18 years with acne and did Accutane 4 times and every other oral and topical medicine on the market. This is the only thing that really worked. I have no side effects whatsoever. It is the miracle cure that I wish my other dermatologists had recommended. I take one Bactrim DS once a day- doctor says I can continue indefinitely. I likely will. My skin is stunning for the first time since I've been 19. If others don't work try this!"

Hartmaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

"I'm 27 & struggle with hormonal cystic acne. I have been on this medication for about 3 months now. Prior to Bactrim, I was taking minocycline. Minocycline worked great but I developed a resistance to it in July 2013. From July 2013 I tried doxycycline, then erythromycin. I struggled trying to find a solution with my Kaiser dermatologist until I went to another dermatologist in June 2014. June 2014, I tried Bactrim & it started clearing up my skin 3 days after using it. I was prescribed to take 1 pill twice daily. I take 1 in the morning & 1 at night. This medicine has saved me from depression, feeling dirty & ugly. I hope I don't develop a resistance to it. My skin is completely clear."

Kash04 September 7, 2014

"I love this. It is the ONLY thing that has ever cleared up my acne (face and body) completely. I've tried Proactiv, Retin-A, salicyclic acid products, benzoyl peroxide products, the sun, avoiding the sun, only skin-healthy foods, enough sleep, etc., etc. and nothing works long term consistently. Life is just miserable when you have to show a pimply face- you are perceived as ugly and not clean. I'll take the risks of too much antibiotic use over being treated poorly for my appearance."

Amy100987 August 23, 2014

"Bactrim cleared my skin up in less than a week. I did forget to take it for a few days and it did come back, but cleared up right away as soon as I took it twice a day again. "

Former Sufferer in MN (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2014

"If you just started this medicine I know you're probably feeling bad about you acne. BUT LISTEN Bactrim works from the inside out and if you breakout in the first few weeks that's fine stick with it because soon your skin will be clear and Bactrim will help stop breakouts from ever happening in the first place soon! Cleared my hormonal acne. I rarely get a pimple and I had moderate to server acne and it was a life saver! Your acne will be cleared in just a few months. I suggest using a topical gel as well. Hang in there it helped me during a rough time in just 3 1/2 months I had a clear face, just a few acne marks on my cheeks only thing that stinks is I'm scared to go off the antibiotic and have a repulse of acne. But I suggest this!"

Anonymous July 11, 2014

"I'm 16 now and started using Bactrim when I was 15, I tried many other acne treatments like Proactiv and other topical gels but none of those worked as well as the Bactrim antibiotic! If you just started using this medication give it time it took me about two months to see results but after 6 I had no acne only breaking out occasionally! Wish I had a before and after picture because it was crazy how well my skin cleared. I used to take it twice a day and once my skin was totally clear I only started taking it a few times a week and I started breaking out again and acne came back I'm back taking it twice a day so hopefully it can do the trick again! But I'll post again in a few months if/when I see results in my skin again!"

Anna A June 12, 2014

"I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated."

AcneKiller (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2014

"I had a kidney transplant and Bactrim was prescribed as part of my meds to allay any infections. I'm middle aged and have suffered from acne for years. To my surprise, my acne cleared! A bonus!"

NIMBLE1 March 12, 2014

"I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this."

myboys14 February 28, 2014

"I took Bactrim for about 1 year and did not get a single breakout during that time. Really works wonders for skin. Now I have been on the maintenance dose to carry on the good work."

Anonymous December 26, 2013

"I have been taking Bactrim for about a year and a half now. Prior to Bactrim I took everything else. I've had acne since I was roughly 15 and am now 23. Everything I took either left me feeling crappy, or didn't work. In my experience taking Bactrim the first 2-3 months my face breaks out horribly. Then at some time in that period it just goes away. It is absolutely the best acne medication I've ever taken! I have taken it twice."

Ben Jammin October 15, 2013