User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Acne

Review by Kash04:

I'm 27 & struggle with hormonal cystic acne. I have been on this medication for about 3 months now. Prior to Bactrim, I was taking minocycline. Minocycline worked great but I developed a resistance to it in July 2013. From July 2013 I tried doxycycline, then erythromycin. I struggled trying to find a solution with my Kaiser dermatologist until I went to another dermatologist in June 2014. June 2014, I tried Bactrim & it started clearing up my skin 3 days after using it. I was prescribed to take 1 pill twice daily. I take 1 in the morning & 1 at night. This medicine has saved me from depression, feeling dirty & ugly. I hope I don't develop a resistance to it. My skin is completely clear.

September 7, 2014 4:01 PM

Review by Amy100987:

I love this. It is the ONLY thing that has ever cleared up my acne (face and body) completely. I've tried Proactiv, Retin-A, salicyclic acid products, benzoyl peroxide products, the sun, avoiding the sun, only skin-healthy foods, enough sleep, etc., etc. and nothing works long term consistently. Life is just miserable when you have to show a pimply face- you are perceived as ugly and not clean. I'll take the risks of too much antibiotic use over being treated poorly for my appearance.

August 23, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by Former Sufferer in MN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bactrim cleared my skin up in less than a week. I did forget to take it for a few days and it did come back, but cleared up right away as soon as I took it twice a day again.

August 1, 2014 12:12 PM

If you just started this medicine I know you're probably feeling bad about you acne. BUT LISTEN Bactrim works from the inside out and if you breakout in the first few weeks that's fine stick with it because soon your skin will be clear and Bactrim will help stop breakouts from ever happening in the first place soon! Cleared my hormonal acne. I rarely get a pimple and I had moderate to server acne and it was a life saver! Your acne will be cleared in just a few months. I suggest using a topical gel as well. Hang in there it helped me during a rough time in just 3 1/2 months I had a clear face, just a few acne marks on my cheeks only thing that stinks is I'm scared to go off the antibiotic and have a repulse of acne. But I suggest this!

July 11, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Anna A:

I'm 16 now and started using Bactrim when I was 15, I tried many other acne treatments like Proactiv and other topical gels but none of those worked as well as the Bactrim antibiotic! If you just started using this medication give it time it took me about two months to see results but after 6 I had no acne only breaking out occasionally! Wish I had a before and after picture because it was crazy how well my skin cleared. I used to take it twice a day and once my skin was totally clear I only started taking it a few times a week and I started breaking out again and acne came back I'm back taking it twice a day so hopefully it can do the trick again! But I'll post again in a few months if/when I see results in my skin again!

June 12, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by AcneKiller (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated.

March 24, 2014 2:56 AM

Review by NIMBLE1:

I had a kidney transplant and Bactrim was prescribed as part of my meds to allay any infections. I'm middle aged and have suffered from acne for years. To my surprise, my acne cleared! A bonus!

March 12, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by myboys14:

I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this.

February 28, 2014 10:08 PM

I took Bactrim for about 1 year and did not get a single breakout during that time. Really works wonders for skin. Now I have been on the maintenance dose to carry on the good work.

December 26, 2013 5:37 AM

Review by Ben Jammin:

I have been taking Bactrim for about a year and a half now. Prior to Bactrim I took everything else. I've had acne since I was roughly 15 and am now 23. Everything I took either left me feeling crappy, or didn't work. In my experience taking Bactrim the first 2-3 months my face breaks out horribly. Then at some time in that period it just goes away. It is absolutely the best acne medication I've ever taken! I have taken it twice.

October 15, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by Jmichelle:

I am 52 with hormonal acne. My cysts were terrible. Did a number on my confidence. I have been on Bactrim for over a year for the cysts and finally something is working. I tried every other medicine with no results. Not sure how long I can be on this but I never want to stop. Afraid if I stop, the cysts will return.

September 7, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Dave!:

I've been on Bactrim for about 4 years now. Once per day. When I stop taking it my acne flares up. Hopefully it's not something I have to take for the rest of my life, by it definitely works when used!

July 23, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by EJay:

I'm 25 years old and still get those under the skin cystic pimples on my face. It is mild but one or two of those monsters just stand out. I've tried Retin-A, every single face wash I can think of, oil free moisturizers, toners, oil free make up. I mean I've done it even the DIY remedy for acne. Well, the dermatologist put me on Bactrim and I have been on it now for about 4 weeks and my face is CLEAR. I mean I've NEVER seen it this clear! I'm just looking at the mirror all the time because I cannot believe it. Very happy with results. He said I would have to be on them for a while. But I'm okay with it. It does cause a little nausea but it's nothing I can't handle and it doesn't last too long. Overall very happy.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2013 1:36 AM

I took Bactrim for a month and I quickly saw the cystic acne disappear. So I started to reduce the dosage to 1 pill a day, then I stopped. In all, I was on the medication for a period of 2 months because I didn't like the idea of taking antibiotics for a large period of time. Recently, I've been having minor breakouts, but I'm paranoid. I am afraid to get filled with cystic acne again. So I decided to start retaking the antibiotics since I still have a couple of refills. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance anymore and I can't follow up with any Dr.

May 3, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by Anonymous78 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I cannot believe how amazing this medicine has been for my cystic acne. I have tried monocycline, doxycycline, prescription topical creams, NOTHING worked. I finally decided to ask my doctor about Bactrim. I have been completely cyst free since October. This is a record amount of time for me to have NO cysts! I have had, maybe three pimples. I've had no side effects. The monocycline gave me horrible joint aches (to the point where I'd almost cry they hurt so bad). So far I have had absolutely NO side effects. It's wonderful!

January 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim is the best medication I've even taken for acne, cleared my skin up in 5 days.

January 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Review by Starla Yen:

I started taking Bactrim twice a day everyday for a month and my acne has completely healed, now I take it only once a day. I went off of it for about 3 days and only gained back 1 large pimple, but as soon as I went back on the medication the pimple quickly disappeared. I'd say this is better than any face care products I've ever used. Much worth it!

January 6, 2013 3:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Bactrim for 5 weeks now and today I decided to stop taking it due to the side effects I'm experiencing. My gums have become inflamed and have a burning sensation that is very bothersome. My face also feels somewhat numb and tingly. I'm disappointed that I can't tolerate this medicine because it really did start clearing up my moderate acne problem. I would recommend giving Bactrim a try..it just didn't agree with me.

December 13, 2012 11:07 PM

I have had bad acne since 6th grade and I am now in 11th grade and started taking Bactrim, it is amazing you take it once in the morning and once at night... I saw results in the first month, now my face it clear, just around my time of the month I get maybe two pimples but they go away fast! Just don't skip! You will break out and have to start over!

February 21, 2012 6:59 PM

Review by LGGG:

I've had acne for years... this is the only medicine that works. Weird thing is, new dermatologist tried to talk me out of it, but wouldn't tell me why. I basically told her that if she didn't want to prescribe it, I would just go back to the doctor who did. At 41 years old, I know what works for me. Another interesting side effect - I used to get ear infections and strep throat on a regular basis until starting this... haven't had either in years !

January 10, 2012 10:56 PM

My doctor put me on Bactrim and Aczone. Together this works wonders! I suffered from somewhat severe acne until this. I started taking it..the first 2-3 weeks I flared up but once the fourth week hit, my face was completed clear. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who has acne problems.

September 4, 2011 4:14 AM

Review by DaveBactrim:

I have used solydyne in the past, two different dosages. They worked at first then stopped working. Again they the increased dosage, even that stopped working. Then i was put on bactrim. The nice thing about bactrim for me was that it worked every time you use. I was give a strong prescription 100mg twice daily. And then 50mg twice daily for an year. The nice thing about bactrim is you see it working. The acne where it used to be becomes dried out and you feel that the meds are working. With others i have seen it disappear and then appear again. With bactrim it was just really clean. I have recently started doxycyline and it has not worked so far. Not a bit. It does seemed working the first week but not any more.

February 20, 2010 1:45 PM

I have horrible hormonal acne and Bactrim has been the only systemic drug that has helped. Problem is I took it for years, randomly when needed. After years of usage, oddly I became allergic to it. I broke out in large red spots that were extremely sensitive. It's a serious allergy. I have permanent dark bruises all over my body and it has been years since I've used it. If you haven't tried Bactrim. Try it. It will work for you.

January 25, 2010 9:10 PM

Review by dawnamert:

My dermatologist put me on this and Aczone. I was 85% clear in just two weeks! I'm over 30.

August 21, 2009 9:42 AM

Worked wonders for my acne. Amazing. Years of living with acne and this $3 a month medication clears me right up. Love it!

June 21, 2009 9:22 AM