User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 29 reviews 507 medications

Infection Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Traveler's Diarrhea 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bactrim reviews 128 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Bactrim

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I am taking Bactrim for a minor staph infection on my leg. It is going away quickly. I am just experiencing fatigue and headaches. The headaches are probably due to dehydration because I am a runner too. I felt better after I drank more water with the medicine. Also I am experiencing a slight decrease in appetite.

July 9, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by Just me?:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Effective, but caused nausea, loss of appetite and migraines.

June 20, 2011 5:36 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I get frequent urinary tract infections and was prescribed Bactrim by a doctor at an urgent care center because Macrobid made me pretty nauseous and really tired. It seemed to clear up the infection well but made me extremely sick. I vomited constantly while on Bactrim. I ended up missing four days of school before deciding I couldn't keep taking it and called urgent care for a new prescription. The doctor I talked to when I called said I should never have been prescribed Bactrim because people who don't tolerate Macrobid well usually have even worse side effects while on Bactrim. Since then I have been prescribed Keflex when I get a UTI and have had no side effects at all.

May 5, 2011 11:30 PM

For Bacterial Infection: Pain and swelling in the vicinity of my tailbone led to an emergency room visit where I had a pilonidal cyst drained. After the doctor incised and drained my cyst, he prescribed me Bactrim and Keflex. He explained that the Keflex was intended to treat the infection if it was MRSA while Bactrim would cover all other bases. A week into my 10 day course of antibiotics, I went to bed with a developing fever. In the morning, I awoke to discover that my entire body was covered in a red, splotchy rash. I immediately went to a medical professional who informed me that I was likely having a severe allergic reaction to Bactrim. I was informed that my fever and rash would persist for days to weeks and may progress to anaphylaxis.

April 28, 2011 2:13 PM

Review by Kreee:

For Bacterial Infection: I recentaly got an ear piercing called a snug. It became so infected I had to see an ENT. He prescribes me Bactrim and I have been on it for 4 days. He had to drain my ear, and it hurt a lot. I just came home from my second appointment, and he took out the packing he put in from draining it, and just put a band aid over it and told me to compress hot water over it for a while. Bactrim has given me no side effects, and it works amazingly.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2011 2:46 PM

For Prevention of Bladder infection: I started taking Bactrim on a Tuesday. By Wednesday I was depressed and had terrible knots in my stomach. I was going to bathroom almost every hours and had hives all day and night. Thursday, I felt a lot better and my symptoms were mostly relieved as well. I thought it worth the hives and frequent bathroom breaks. On Friday my lips, gums, tongue and face were all swollen. I didn't think it was the medication at all. Doc's nurse called to tell me that my culture came back and that they are switching my medicine. When I changed the medicine on Saturday I had sores in my mouth along with the swollen gums. I made a dental appointment thinking that it is due to an immunization problem, by Sunday I called my doctor and learnt that I developed allergies.

February 8, 2011 3:39 AM

Review by indy500:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Today was the first day I took this medication. Two hours after, I experienced joint pain, blurred vision, back pain, a headache, chills, fever, nausea, cough and sore throat. This was in addition to my already severe urinary tract infection symptoms which I was sent to the ER for the night before, including, severe pain in pelvis, achy back (kidneys). Although, symptoms of a severe UTI can also be fever, pain in the flank (pain that runs along the back at about waist level), chills, and nausea, I believe the medication gave me the additional symptoms. I was fine all day long until around two hours after taking the pill. After about 3 hours, symptoms increasingly went away. I am not sure if the pills are working or if they wore off.

February 7, 2011 8:29 PM

Bactrim was prescribed to my 3 year old for a boil. Although the boil went away after 4 doses she got a super high fever and complained of headache and was very lethargic. I called her doctor and he directed me to continue the medication for a few more days to complete a 7 day regimen. Eventually she broke out in hives head to toe and I rushed her to the emergency room. Allergic reaction to sulfa drugs.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2011 3:28 PM

Review by No Go:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Took this medicine during Chemo and Radiation. Did not work, may have been because of the Chemo and Radiation, just not sure. Was given Cipro and that did not work either. I am now on my 3rd of 5 day Levaquin dose and passed my AZO UTI over the counter test this morning, yea. Two months of a UTI is a bit much, although, I now know what works for future.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2011 2:29 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine before bed and within 3 hours I got a severe sore throat and I felt like I had sometime lodged in the back of my mouth. The following morning I woke up to a very sore jaw and it hurts to open my mouth. The sore throat is still bad, however its not as severe as it first was. I only took one of the doses, so I do not know what would happen if I kept taking it (don't know how well it would treat the UTI). I've never had an allergic reaction to any other medicine.

January 5, 2011 1:11 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Bactrim gave me an allergic reaction within the first two days of using it. Thankfully I noticed it quickly so it wasn't too bad. My throat felt tight, I had a rash, and I just didn't feel well.

September 28, 2010 5:10 PM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I have had MSRA "boils" 3 times in the last 5 years. Each time I have been given a prescription for Bactrim specifically because its a sulfate based antibiotic - each time the infection made an almost immediate change for the better in size, swelling, and pain associated with those. I was fortunate enough NOT to experience any side effects and my overall opinion of this antibiotic is that for me it's been FANTASTIC in the treatment of MSRA.

September 20, 2010 1:41 AM

Review by HelloKittyGurl:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine for an acute bladder infection and the 3rd dose something happened. I went into a panic attack, had shortness of breath, was hyperventilating and my stomach was killing me so I was racing back to the ER and I was hallucinating. I kept seeing people jump out in front of me WHILE driving but there was no one there, it was dark but not too dark but I made it to the ER and I got in right away just from having a panic attack and hyperventilating. I have NO idea where this side effect came from it was the weirdest, scariest thing ever so the Doctor gave me Cipro which makes you feel awful.

August 24, 2010 3:27 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Was treated for a urinary tract infection but I had no symptoms, so I really don't know if it actually helped. But I ended up with a yeast infection afterwards. Only took it for 3 days.

August 15, 2010 9:05 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I used Bactrim and it cleared up my symptoms perfectly for about 2 days. Then I got a terrible yeast infection.

August 4, 2010 1:21 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Please make sure you are not allergic to this drug. I had no idea I was and ended up with horrible allergic reactions. Shortness of breath, heavy chest, rapid pulse-it was at 120 beats per minute for 2 days straight, now it comes and goes. It has been 4 days and I am not better. I really have felt like an anxiety or panic attack is happening all the time.

July 3, 2010 4:49 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared infection but gave me a nasty itchy rash over my entire body.

April 19, 2010 12:28 PM

Review by sherlockvulcan:

For Prostatitis: Used it to combat Prostate infection. Did nothing to help.

April 6, 2010 7:55 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a spider bite that was infected. The nausea and vomiting was unbearable but my wound was almost gone after a day. I think I would rather have vomiting than have an infection.

April 3, 2010 1:02 PM

For Bronchitis: Best medication ever for upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. Only thing that works for me. No side effects except dehydration, need to drink lots of fluids.

March 1, 2010 1:09 PM

Review by DaveBactrim:

For Acne: I have used solydyne in the past, two different dosages. They worked at first then stopped working. Again they the increased dosage, even that stopped working. Then i was put on bactrim. The nice thing about bactrim for me was that it worked every time you use. I was give a strong prescription 100mg twice daily. And then 50mg twice daily for an year. The nice thing about bactrim is you see it working. The acne where it used to be becomes dried out and you feel that the meds are working. With others i have seen it disappear and then appear again. With bactrim it was just really clean. I have recently started doxycyline and it has not worked so far. Not a bit. It does seemed working the first week but not any more.

February 20, 2010 1:45 PM

For Sinusitis: I was given the generic Bactrim for a sinus infection. After 4 days, I couldn't stop vomiting and having diarrhea for 3 days. Almost went to the hospital. It seemed to be making me feel better until the side effects kicked in. I had to stop the medication.

February 4, 2010 10:43 AM

For Acne: I have horrible hormonal acne and Bactrim has been the only systemic drug that has helped. Problem is I took it for years, randomly when needed. After years of usage, oddly I became allergic to it. I broke out in large red spots that were extremely sensitive. It's a serious allergy. I have permanent dark bruises all over my body and it has been years since I've used it. If you haven't tried Bactrim. Try it. It will work for you.

January 25, 2010 9:10 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: i have takin bactrim for 3 days horrible reaction had to go to the hospital itch rashes all over also felt like my throat was starting to close up.. had to take 4 pills at the hospital to try to clear up this reaction. and to open my airway. i have to take 3 different pills for 8 days ..will have to see my doctor next wk to get another medicine for the uti. now i no that im allergic to this

January 16, 2010 11:59 AM

Review by Felt flu like symptoms:

For Bacterial Infection: I was on Bactrim for 10 days because of a Bartholin Cyst that tested positive for MRSA. On the 7th day I started experiencing back pain, intermittent low grade fevers, chills, complete fatigue and eyeball pain. An I.D. doctor wanted me to take it for another 7 days as a precaution but I had to force him to listen to my symptoms and he told me to stop taking the Bactrim. Also don't know if it matters that I'm not of 'normal' weight for most woman at 5'5 I'm 109lbs - the symptoms I experienced were also listed as possible "overdose"....stopped Bactrim today - feel terrible.

December 12, 2009 1:16 PM