User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 35 reviews 511 medications

Infection Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Traveler's Diarrhea 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bactrim reviews 138 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Bactrim

For Bacterial Infection: I have only had this medicine twice. The first time was without reaction. The second time however, I did experience trembling, weakness, especially in my legs, anxiety, and an itchy rash on my forearms. Not pleasant at all!

September 23, 2011 8:05 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I'm taking Bactrim twice a day for ten days. I was taking five day course of Cipro and had a migraine headache, which wouldn't go away. Cipro didn't even help me, I still had white blood cells and blood in my urine which makes for a bad urinary tract infection. The PA gave me Bactrim. I still have a slight headache but the UTI was so bad, I can deal with these side effects. The pressure in my bladder area has subsided and five more days to go. I can handle Bactrim.

September 14, 2011 7:41 PM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: Awful nausea and headaches that last all day! I'd rather have those side effects then suffer from MRSA but it has still been rough to deal with as I'm trying to go back to work.

September 7, 2011 2:02 AM

For Acne: My doctor put me on Bactrim and Aczone. Together this works wonders! I suffered from somewhat severe acne until this. I started taking it..the first 2-3 weeks I flared up but once the fourth week hit, my face was completed clear. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who has acne problems.

September 4, 2011 4:14 AM

For Sinusitis: Great antibiotic, cleared away my sinusitis, however been an insomniac for the past couple of days.

August 30, 2011 1:42 AM

For Bacterial Infection: Pain was so bad in the back of my legs. Had to take pain medication to stop the pain. Doctor will put me on something else.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2011 4:10 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I cut my finger on a piece of metal under the seat of my car and developed a skin infection. Had the infection drained, but was also prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. After 2 days I saw my finger start healing up and within the 10 days it was completely healed. I only experienced mild nausea and some insomnia. Other than that it did a great job! Very satisfied.

August 9, 2011 7:44 AM

Review by Picturepurrfekt:

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I have been prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection in the form of 2 boils 1 on my arm and 1 on my leg. I have been prescribed Bactrim 800/ 160 2x per day for 10 days. Started feeling horrible after the first dose. Extreme dizziness, stomach issues, headache by day 3, feeling dehydrated with weakness and joint pain and jaw pain, loss of appetite, insomnia. I am on day 5 and the dizziness is really bad I had to miss work. Only took half a dose this morning and considering stopping. Thinking I may be allergic to the sulfonomide as my grandmother is allergic and this is the first time I have ever taken this. Glad to see others have had a good experience.

August 8, 2011 11:15 PM

Review by erinmcg:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took it for 5 days, and it seemed to help, but now 2 days after the last pills I'm in a lot of pain again. Perhaps it would've been more effective had I been on it a few more days.

August 6, 2011 3:55 PM

For Prevention of Bladder infection: I used to get chronic bladder infections, especially after intercourse. It did not matter how clean I thought I was or what I did to prevent them, I would still get them. I take 1/2 tablet of Bactrim after intercourse, as prescribed by my doctor, and I never get a bladder infection. Yay!

July 20, 2011 3:02 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I am taking Bactrim for a minor staph infection on my leg. It is going away quickly. I am just experiencing fatigue and headaches. The headaches are probably due to dehydration because I am a runner too. I felt better after I drank more water with the medicine. Also I am experiencing a slight decrease in appetite.

July 9, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by Just me?:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Effective, but caused nausea, loss of appetite and migraines.

June 20, 2011 5:36 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I get frequent urinary tract infections and was prescribed Bactrim by a doctor at an urgent care center because Macrobid made me pretty nauseous and really tired. It seemed to clear up the infection well but made me extremely sick. I vomited constantly while on Bactrim. I ended up missing four days of school before deciding I couldn't keep taking it and called urgent care for a new prescription. The doctor I talked to when I called said I should never have been prescribed Bactrim because people who don't tolerate Macrobid well usually have even worse side effects while on Bactrim. Since then I have been prescribed Keflex when I get a UTI and have had no side effects at all.

May 5, 2011 11:30 PM

For Bacterial Infection: Pain and swelling in the vicinity of my tailbone led to an emergency room visit where I had a pilonidal cyst drained. After the doctor incised and drained my cyst, he prescribed me Bactrim and Keflex. He explained that the Keflex was intended to treat the infection if it was MRSA while Bactrim would cover all other bases. A week into my 10 day course of antibiotics, I went to bed with a developing fever. In the morning, I awoke to discover that my entire body was covered in a red, splotchy rash. I immediately went to a medical professional who informed me that I was likely having a severe allergic reaction to Bactrim. I was informed that my fever and rash would persist for days to weeks and may progress to anaphylaxis.

April 28, 2011 2:13 PM

Review by Kreee:

For Bacterial Infection: I recentaly got an ear piercing called a snug. It became so infected I had to see an ENT. He prescribes me Bactrim and I have been on it for 4 days. He had to drain my ear, and it hurt a lot. I just came home from my second appointment, and he took out the packing he put in from draining it, and just put a band aid over it and told me to compress hot water over it for a while. Bactrim has given me no side effects, and it works amazingly.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2011 2:46 PM

For Prevention of Bladder infection: I started taking Bactrim on a Tuesday. By Wednesday I was depressed and had terrible knots in my stomach. I was going to bathroom almost every hours and had hives all day and night. Thursday, I felt a lot better and my symptoms were mostly relieved as well. I thought it worth the hives and frequent bathroom breaks. On Friday my lips, gums, tongue and face were all swollen. I didn't think it was the medication at all. Doc's nurse called to tell me that my culture came back and that they are switching my medicine. When I changed the medicine on Saturday I had sores in my mouth along with the swollen gums. I made a dental appointment thinking that it is due to an immunization problem, by Sunday I called my doctor and learnt that I developed allergies.

February 8, 2011 3:39 AM

Review by indy500:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Today was the first day I took this medication. Two hours after, I experienced joint pain, blurred vision, back pain, a headache, chills, fever, nausea, cough and sore throat. This was in addition to my already severe urinary tract infection symptoms which I was sent to the ER for the night before, including, severe pain in pelvis, achy back (kidneys). Although, symptoms of a severe UTI can also be fever, pain in the flank (pain that runs along the back at about waist level), chills, and nausea, I believe the medication gave me the additional symptoms. I was fine all day long until around two hours after taking the pill. After about 3 hours, symptoms increasingly went away. I am not sure if the pills are working or if they wore off.

February 7, 2011 8:29 PM

Bactrim was prescribed to my 3 year old for a boil. Although the boil went away after 4 doses she got a super high fever and complained of headache and was very lethargic. I called her doctor and he directed me to continue the medication for a few more days to complete a 7 day regimen. Eventually she broke out in hives head to toe and I rushed her to the emergency room. Allergic reaction to sulfa drugs.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2011 3:28 PM

Review by No Go:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Took this medicine during Chemo and Radiation. Did not work, may have been because of the Chemo and Radiation, just not sure. Was given Cipro and that did not work either. I am now on my 3rd of 5 day Levaquin dose and passed my AZO UTI over the counter test this morning, yea. Two months of a UTI is a bit much, although, I now know what works for future.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2011 2:29 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine before bed and within 3 hours I got a severe sore throat and I felt like I had sometime lodged in the back of my mouth. The following morning I woke up to a very sore jaw and it hurts to open my mouth. The sore throat is still bad, however its not as severe as it first was. I only took one of the doses, so I do not know what would happen if I kept taking it (don't know how well it would treat the UTI). I've never had an allergic reaction to any other medicine.

January 5, 2011 1:11 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Bactrim gave me an allergic reaction within the first two days of using it. Thankfully I noticed it quickly so it wasn't too bad. My throat felt tight, I had a rash, and I just didn't feel well.

September 28, 2010 5:10 PM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I have had MSRA "boils" 3 times in the last 5 years. Each time I have been given a prescription for Bactrim specifically because its a sulfate based antibiotic - each time the infection made an almost immediate change for the better in size, swelling, and pain associated with those. I was fortunate enough NOT to experience any side effects and my overall opinion of this antibiotic is that for me it's been FANTASTIC in the treatment of MSRA.

September 20, 2010 1:41 AM

Review by HelloKittyGurl:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine for an acute bladder infection and the 3rd dose something happened. I went into a panic attack, had shortness of breath, was hyperventilating and my stomach was killing me so I was racing back to the ER and I was hallucinating. I kept seeing people jump out in front of me WHILE driving but there was no one there, it was dark but not too dark but I made it to the ER and I got in right away just from having a panic attack and hyperventilating. I have NO idea where this side effect came from it was the weirdest, scariest thing ever so the Doctor gave me Cipro which makes you feel awful.

August 24, 2010 3:27 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Was treated for a urinary tract infection but I had no symptoms, so I really don't know if it actually helped. But I ended up with a yeast infection afterwards. Only took it for 3 days.

August 15, 2010 9:05 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I used Bactrim and it cleared up my symptoms perfectly for about 2 days. Then I got a terrible yeast infection.

August 4, 2010 1:21 AM