User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 26 reviews 506 medications

Infection Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Melioidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Meningitis 0 reviews 97 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pneumocystis Pneumonia Prophylaxis 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Shigellosis 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Traveler's Diarrhea 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bactrim reviews 121 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Bactrim

Bactrim was prescribed to my 3 year old for a boil. Although the boil went away after 4 doses she got a super high fever and complained of headache and was very lethargic. I called her doctor and he directed me to continue the medication for a few more days to complete a 7 day regimen. Eventually she broke out in hives head to toe and I rushed her to the emergency room. Allergic reaction to sulfa drugs.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2011 3:28 PM

Review by No Go:

For Urinary Tract Infection: Took this medicine during Chemo and Radiation. Did not work, may have been because of the Chemo and Radiation, just not sure. Was given Cipro and that did not work either. I am now on my 3rd of 5 day Levaquin dose and passed my AZO UTI over the counter test this morning, yea. Two months of a UTI is a bit much, although, I now know what works for future.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2011 2:29 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine before bed and within 3 hours I got a severe sore throat and I felt like I had sometime lodged in the back of my mouth. The following morning I woke up to a very sore jaw and it hurts to open my mouth. The sore throat is still bad, however its not as severe as it first was. I only took one of the doses, so I do not know what would happen if I kept taking it (don't know how well it would treat the UTI). I've never had an allergic reaction to any other medicine.

January 5, 2011 1:11 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Bactrim gave me an allergic reaction within the first two days of using it. Thankfully I noticed it quickly so it wasn't too bad. My throat felt tight, I had a rash, and I just didn't feel well.

September 28, 2010 5:10 PM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I have had MSRA "boils" 3 times in the last 5 years. Each time I have been given a prescription for Bactrim specifically because its a sulfate based antibiotic - each time the infection made an almost immediate change for the better in size, swelling, and pain associated with those. I was fortunate enough NOT to experience any side effects and my overall opinion of this antibiotic is that for me it's been FANTASTIC in the treatment of MSRA.

September 20, 2010 1:41 AM

Review by HelloKittyGurl:

For Urinary Tract Infection: I took this medicine for an acute bladder infection and the 3rd dose something happened. I went into a panic attack, had shortness of breath, was hyperventilating and my stomach was killing me so I was racing back to the ER and I was hallucinating. I kept seeing people jump out in front of me WHILE driving but there was no one there, it was dark but not too dark but I made it to the ER and I got in right away just from having a panic attack and hyperventilating. I have NO idea where this side effect came from it was the weirdest, scariest thing ever so the Doctor gave me Cipro which makes you feel awful.

August 24, 2010 3:27 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Was treated for a urinary tract infection but I had no symptoms, so I really don't know if it actually helped. But I ended up with a yeast infection afterwards. Only took it for 3 days.

August 15, 2010 9:05 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I used Bactrim and it cleared up my symptoms perfectly for about 2 days. Then I got a terrible yeast infection.

August 4, 2010 1:21 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Please make sure you are not allergic to this drug. I had no idea I was and ended up with horrible allergic reactions. Shortness of breath, heavy chest, rapid pulse-it was at 120 beats per minute for 2 days straight, now it comes and goes. It has been 4 days and I am not better. I really have felt like an anxiety or panic attack is happening all the time.

July 3, 2010 4:49 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Cleared infection but gave me a nasty itchy rash over my entire body.

April 19, 2010 12:28 PM

Review by sherlockvulcan:

For Prostatitis: Used it to combat Prostate infection. Did nothing to help.

April 6, 2010 7:55 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a spider bite that was infected. The nausea and vomiting was unbearable but my wound was almost gone after a day. I think I would rather have vomiting than have an infection.

April 3, 2010 1:02 PM

For Bronchitis: Best medication ever for upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. Only thing that works for me. No side effects except dehydration, need to drink lots of fluids.

March 1, 2010 1:09 PM

Review by DaveBactrim:

For Acne: I have used solydyne in the past, two different dosages. They worked at first then stopped working. Again they the increased dosage, even that stopped working. Then i was put on bactrim. The nice thing about bactrim for me was that it worked every time you use. I was give a strong prescription 100mg twice daily. And then 50mg twice daily for an year. The nice thing about bactrim is you see it working. The acne where it used to be becomes dried out and you feel that the meds are working. With others i have seen it disappear and then appear again. With bactrim it was just really clean. I have recently started doxycyline and it has not worked so far. Not a bit. It does seemed working the first week but not any more.

February 20, 2010 1:45 PM

For Sinusitis: I was given the generic Bactrim for a sinus infection. After 4 days, I couldn't stop vomiting and having diarrhea for 3 days. Almost went to the hospital. It seemed to be making me feel better until the side effects kicked in. I had to stop the medication.

February 4, 2010 10:43 AM

For Acne: I have horrible hormonal acne and Bactrim has been the only systemic drug that has helped. Problem is I took it for years, randomly when needed. After years of usage, oddly I became allergic to it. I broke out in large red spots that were extremely sensitive. It's a serious allergy. I have permanent dark bruises all over my body and it has been years since I've used it. If you haven't tried Bactrim. Try it. It will work for you.

January 25, 2010 9:10 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: i have takin bactrim for 3 days horrible reaction had to go to the hospital itch rashes all over also felt like my throat was starting to close up.. had to take 4 pills at the hospital to try to clear up this reaction. and to open my airway. i have to take 3 different pills for 8 days ..will have to see my doctor next wk to get another medicine for the uti. now i no that im allergic to this

January 16, 2010 11:59 AM

Review by Felt flu like symptoms:

For Bacterial Infection: I was on Bactrim for 10 days because of a Bartholin Cyst that tested positive for MRSA. On the 7th day I started experiencing back pain, intermittent low grade fevers, chills, complete fatigue and eyeball pain. An I.D. doctor wanted me to take it for another 7 days as a precaution but I had to force him to listen to my symptoms and he told me to stop taking the Bactrim. Also don't know if it matters that I'm not of 'normal' weight for most woman at 5'5 I'm 109lbs - the symptoms I experienced were also listed as possible "overdose"....stopped Bactrim today - feel terrible.

December 12, 2009 1:16 PM

For Otitis Media: I am a 30 year old female and was prescribed Bactrim for a bad ear infection. One day later I had a rash all over my arms, neck and face. I was given a new antibiotic in the ER.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2009 11:54 AM

For Otitis Media: Where do I start, I was feeling so icky and found out I had a double ear infection. My doctor decided to put me on Bactrim. That was the worst medication ever. I've had back pain, dizziness and nausea ever since starting it. The other odd side effect is the nasty perfume taste and smell I keep smelling.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2009 9:58 AM

Review by 55TOM:

For Prostatitis: Didn't work

October 28, 2009 10:33 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a bacterial infection under my skin, on my face, that resulted in many cystic like bumps. They were so painful. After taking the medicine for just a few days, the swelling and pain went away and the bumps cleared up. I would take this medicine again.

October 21, 2009 9:06 AM

For Urinary Tract Infection: I never had an allergic reaction until I took this medication, now I learned the hard way I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. After one dose I had a lot the serious side effects: high fever, intense stomach pain, insomnia, hallucinations, anxiety, non-stop chills/shaking, vomiting, rash. Needless to say I ended up in the hospital for 3 days. I think my that you need to be careful when taking the drug and be aware of all the serious side effects.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2009 12:11 AM

For Bacterial Skin Infection: I took Bactrim for a boil on my face. After 2 days of taking, the boil began to drain but the nausea and stomach pain has been very uncomfortable.

October 1, 2009 6:34 PM

For Urinary Tract Infection: Worked very well. By the second-third pill it was feeling better. But Doctor gave me the DS 2x a day and I think its a bit much. By 4th day I felt really horrible. Tired, foggy headed, and lethargic towards the evening. Not going to take anymore pills. Did clear up the issue tho!

September 24, 2009 8:31 PM