User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

"Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

"I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I was put on this medicine for a skin infection. I was reluctant to start it because of all the horror stories in the Internet. It does make me nauseous and it gives me a slight headache. Advil and Benadryl help with those side effects. I'm on the fourth day and my infection is nearly cleared. I was also given a Bactroban skin cream and that stuff is great. A pleasant side effect has been my skin clearing. I had perfect skin up until I hit 25 and then suddenly I had cystic acne on one side of my face. I was reluctant to take anything because it wasn't that bad, but the Bactrim has pretty much cleared it up."

khoffpauir (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2014

"I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin."

LaCole October 7, 2014

"Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim."

Hilgy September 16, 2014

"If you're ever on antibiotics, it's best to take a probiotic to help with stomach upset. However, I read you should take them as far away from your dose of antibiotic as possible. So, if you have to take it twice a day: take the Bactrim at breakfast and dinner. Then take the probiotics directly between at around lunch time. Taking any antibiotics with food also helps. Certain antibiotics have different food instructions so ask your pharmacist. I'm currently on Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, but I also have an infected hair that's been causing me a lot of pain in my groin so I'm hoping this will help there as well."

ChelleeBelly June 15, 2014

"I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none."

BL florida (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2014

"Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!"

Lirpa13 October 30, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had a few skin infections and cellulitis. Bactrim cleared it, visible within 24hrs."

jolly joe August 24, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"If you are prescribed Bactrim, take a probiotic with each pill and the side effects usually go away. Probiotics are over the counter. Before I could not take Bactrim or Keflex. Now no problem. I am on Bactrim for boils and taking the probiotic. "

Texan and cripple January 20, 2013

"Cellulitis or staph infection on index finger. Went to doc he prescribed this. It's making the infection (large boil) go down and kind of scab over. Having bad heartburn though, and having headaches."

Mason mcdonald January 14, 2013

"Taking Bactrim for spider bite on breast - working."

jbird1811 January 6, 2013

"From the second dose of the medicine, I started having terrible heartburn, stomach burning and nausea. The side effects out-weighed any benefits for me."

Anonymous July 13, 2012

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a bacterial skin infection under my arm. I get infections easily and am often on all kinds of antibiotics. Many bother me, but I have not had any problems at all while on Bactrim. And the skin infection has been clearing up very well (I'm almost done with the medication.) I'm very happy with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2012

"I am currently taking this medicine. I should be finishing it in two days have to take it twice for ten days. The whole time I've had migraines. And just recently I got a rash because I forgot to take it once yesterday. I've never been allergic to anything but I hope this rash goes away."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

"I stepped on a rusty nail and had alot of pain and foot started to swell. I started taking Bactrim and the pain went away within the first two pills which was 24 hrs. The only problem is that I can't function with the nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache. I think its because of sensitive stomach."

Anonymous February 17, 2012

"I went to the hospital last night because there was a boil under my armpit. Last month I had one on my buttock. They tested me for diabetes, I'm not a diabetic. I don't know why I keep getting boils. They couldn't drain it because fluid hasn't formed yet, so they gave me Bactrim. I have to take 2 pills every 12 hrs. They are huge. And hopefully they work well for me like they did for most of you!"

Lady Vicky September 30, 2011

"Prescribed Bactrim for boils on abdomen/legs. I was only able to take it for 3 days, due to the adverse reaction. The boils are much better (and I hope they don't come back), but the back pain, abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea were enough to make me stop taking it. Plus, I'm not sure if this is a medicine of choice for anyone with ulcerative colitis, but now I'm having a huge flare of that! "

Anonymous September 28, 2011

"Awful nausea and headaches that last all day! I'd rather have those side effects then suffer from MRSA but it has still been rough to deal with as I'm trying to go back to work."

Anonymous September 7, 2011

"I cut my finger on a piece of metal under the seat of my car and developed a skin infection. Had the infection drained, but was also prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. After 2 days I saw my finger start healing up and within the 10 days it was completely healed. I only experienced mild nausea and some insomnia. Other than that it did a great job! Very satisfied."

Anonymous August 9, 2011

"I have been prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection in the form of 2 boils 1 on my arm and 1 on my leg. I have been prescribed Bactrim 800/ 160 2x per day for 10 days. Started feeling horrible after the first dose. Extreme dizziness, stomach issues, headache by day 3, feeling dehydrated with weakness and joint pain and jaw pain, loss of appetite, insomnia. I am on day 5 and the dizziness is really bad I had to miss work. Only took half a dose this morning and considering stopping. Thinking I may be allergic to the sulfonomide as my grandmother is allergic and this is the first time I have ever taken this. Glad to see others have had a good experience. "

Picturepurrfekt August 8, 2011

"I am taking Bactrim for a minor staph infection on my leg. It is going away quickly. I am just experiencing fatigue and headaches. The headaches are probably due to dehydration because I am a runner too. I felt better after I drank more water with the medicine. Also I am experiencing a slight decrease in appetite."

Anonymous July 9, 2011

"I have had MSRA "boils" 3 times in the last 5 years. Each time I have been given a prescription for Bactrim specifically because its a sulfate based antibiotic - each time the infection made an almost immediate change for the better in size, swelling, and pain associated with those. I was fortunate enough NOT to experience any side effects and my overall opinion of this antibiotic is that for me it's been FANTASTIC in the treatment of MSRA."

Anonymous September 20, 2010

"I took Bactrim for a spider bite that was infected. The nausea and vomiting was unbearable but my wound was almost gone after a day. I think I would rather have vomiting than have an infection. "

Anonymous April 3, 2010

"I took Bactrim for a bacterial infection under my skin, on my face, that resulted in many cystic like bumps. They were so painful. After taking the medicine for just a few days, the swelling and pain went away and the bumps cleared up. I would take this medicine again."

Anonymous October 21, 2009