User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Infection Prophylaxis 2 reviews 24 medications

Prostatitis 5 reviews 46 medications

4.6
Summary of Bactrim DS reviews 121 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Bactrim DS

For Urinary Tract Infection "This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Super bad reaction. TERRIBLE! High fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, brown urine, LIVER INFLAMATION. NO RASH. After 7 days on Bactrim DS, feeling beyond terrible, I did some internet research and suspected drug fever. Ceased taking. Went to my doctor who ran blood tests which confirmed my suspicions. Liver enzymes: AST/SGOT 335 H (mine) 14-36 (unit/L) (normal range) ALT/SGPT 581 H 9-52 (unit/L) Alk Phos 307 H 38-126 (unit/L) Levels started to go down after I stopped taking it; it took 3 months for levels to return to normal. A lot of information says you have a rash with drug reactions. I did NOT. My skin infection did clear up. It wasn't that bad to start with. I asked him for something topical. Was not my regular Doc who prescribed it. My Doc said it was overkill. Just because the guy's a doctor doesn't mean he is a good doctor! Be your own advocate. Another round of this crap--who knows! Sulfonamides are one of the drugs that can cause a severe reaction"

Graygirl8 May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I'm on this medication after developing staph infection in my C-section incision. I began feeling dizzy on day one. I've had some itching on my stomach, but not too terribly. Yesterday (day 6 of 10) I developed a headache. I still have said headache. I feel blurry visioned & dizzy all day. Extreme hunger too. Idk. My staph is healing & incision looks great now... But after suffering a SEVERE spinal headache following my surgery... A headache is the last thing I want to experience. 3 more days... Ugh. Is it effective for infection? Yes. Is it pleasant to endure? Nope."

crissym April 30, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been on bactrim for the last 3 days and on the fourth pill and its done nothing for me"

Karen Willerbee February 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I went to the Dr and was prescribed Bactrim for a urinary tract infection. I initially took it on a empty stomach which was a mistake. Taking it with food, even crackers, prevents nausea, and most other side effects. I am on my 3rd full day of taking it and I have no relief from my symptoms. I'm waiting for my culture to come back and will call my Dr for something else if necessary."

MLongRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Knocked UTI symptoms out effectively after the first 24 hours. However, the side effects were not pleasant and were very noticeable: headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headed, weakness, sweating, dry mouth, excessive thirst, tiredness. I'm on day 3 and have asked the doc to switch me to something else so I can function better at home and work. Trying Cipro. Be sure to drink water constantly when on Bactrim DS."

sparriott (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was on cipro for a week but no relief so my doctor switched me to this drug. Felt relief within 72 hours. I had extreme nausea and a headache the first day I took this drug but then I started to take it with meals and I haven't had those side effects."

Anon22222 December 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for folliculitis. It did nothing except make me tired and gave me a yeast infection. Trying Keflex now and hoping for better results."

Netsirk (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "only took the medication for 5 days, had read about it online after being prescribed it and got really worried at all the awful side affects. I experienced nausea and headaches and slight itchiness while on it and was glad to finally get off of it. It is my 3rd day off of it and the itching has got worse and all over now. I only have a few tiny redish bumps though and I am experiencing anxiety on and off randomly and just feel weird and have also caught a cold (sore throat/cough). will never take this medication ever again and I severely advise against it."

e6 November 29, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Im currently taking bactrim for a UTI. It relieved my symptoms rather quickly however the side effects are really bothering me. I've had the most painful migraines since taking it yesterday. I also have the chills and slight nausea. I wont take this medicine ever again once I finish it. The constant painful headaches are not worth it."

Hshhs November 24, 2015

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was diagnosed with a MRSA Impetigo skin infection and was prescribed the Bactrim DS as well as Bactroban ointment, therefore I cannot know which helped the most, but it did work 95%. I stll have a pink area and the original cut that started this all is still slightly visible. This oral med made me feel horrible. Everyday, after the third day, I was nauseous about an hour after taking it and several times had to take Zofran 8mg which did help. My stomach was a roller coaster and the headaches were really bad. I have Daily Chronic Headache which is daily migraines. But I get C spine nerve ablations which allows me to be 90% migraine free for about 1 year. During the 10 days the migraines came back and with a vengence. Glad to be done."

Adopt_a_pet November 13, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Having a horrible experience on Bactrim. This antibiotic should come with a warning label. Urinary symptoms have not been relieved yet (going on 3rd day). Experiencing severe nausea and diarrhea. Zofran helps somewhat. I don't know that I can continue this medication for 3 more days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been taking bactrim now for about a week n a half for a uti, and mrsa. I am sure it's workin because the kidney pain has subsided however the nausea is so crucial it's like the worst nausea I've ever had in my life. Not to mention headache and chills. Ugh I don't know if it's worth it"

flores1413 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Kidney Infections "I started taking Bactrim 2 days ago for bladder infection and it is terrible because I feel like I have the flu... body aches, headache, nausea. ..I just called the doctor to tell her I'm not taking any more.. the bladder infection is nothing compared to the way this med made me feel!!! It seems like it has been cut with some sort if poison before it gets to the US!!! I just hope I regain strength bc I feel so weak from the pain my body has been through!!!"

nick1975 October 31, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "So, I wanted to review this drug because I've been on five antibiotic treatments within the last month and a half for the craziest UTI I've ever experienced in my life. Landed in the ER for fevers and pain and worst was the mental confusion.... Anyways, during this time I've been on IV antibiotics, Z pak as well as Keflex, which gave me horrible anxiety and extreme photo sensitivity. When I tried levaquin, it sent me to the ER. Then finally bactrim DS was prescribed. After taking it the first night I did have some trouble sleeping but after two doses of the medication I did adjust. I have been taking probiotics with these meds. It's helped overall. Side effects I noted vivid dreams, fatigue, and constipation were the main three."

Leahjaybee123 October 30, 2015

For Kidney Infections "Extreme headaches, stomach issues. Bathroom issues also"

Ladywest October 25, 2015

For Acne "Have had severe acne for a long time and worked very well to clear up acne entirely with a few months. Unfortunately as soon as I go off of it, the acne slowly comes back. Still works amazing while on it though."

DJ234 October 19, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had no negative side effects. Got rid of my UTI fast."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been suffering with a UTI for at least a month and a half, I have been prescribed nitrofurantonin and Cipro 2 times...with those drugs I had still had the urge to urinate and immediately when I stopped those two antibiotics the symptoms came right back. Doctors were getting ready to send me to a urologist until I mentioned bactrim. After one dose of the antibiotic I was feeling 80% better. I haven't had any side effects yet and its day 2...These drug is God sent!"

Reetee October 15, 2015

For Acne "Ok so I have delt with acne my entire life even in my 30s. I was given this med for another issue and I noticed my skin is clearing up. I have been reading some of the reviews and not to be judgmental but I am shocked at how many people are using this med for 6 plus months. Transplant patients it's a must(my mother is one) but to use this long term is not my cup of tea. With bacteria becoming more and more immune to everyday meds what will they do when they have a severe infection like staph and it no longer works. Hospital bound on vanco, I know from experience. Trust me my acne is horrible and I truly understand the heartbreak but risking immunity from an antibiotic is not worth to me. Think long term. Just my opinion, God bless!"

gingslo October 7, 2015

For Sinusitis "I suffer from frequent severe migraines and disclosed this info to the physician during my visit. Recent sinus infections I took a Z-pack and was done but this time was my first time taking Bactrim - DS. Painful headaches, stomach aches, constipation even after drinking water frequently daily. Hoping I don't get the yeast infection or any other issues some patients complain about."

MShelley12 October 4, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "I got my first UTI 5 days ago but thought it was just a yeast infection. So I used yeast infection medicine until my lower abdomin hurt so bad and it was impossible to urinate, even though I had the constant urge to go. I was miserable. Went to ER Sunday evening around 6 and was sent home with Bactrim DS and Pyridium. Within hours I could urinate better and within 12 hours I had no abdominal pain and could urinate just fine and completely empty my bladder. And that was after just 1 dose. I'm so grateful for this antibiotic and think it's wonderful. I did get a slight headache but it was definately worth it."

Birthdaygirl1978 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2015

For Sinusitis "Started meds on Monday. My arms and legs hurt terribly Tuesday and Wednesday. The headache has been the worst I have ever had. Chills, sweating, nausea, impaired vision, insomnia. I called the Dr's office Wednesday afternoon and the nurse told me to give it a few more days. Went to different Dr on Saturday and he said bactrim is notorious for headaches and other adverse effects. Off of it now and have to wait 24 hours before I can start a new antibiotic. I'm praying this headache ends soon"

Mreid207 September 12, 2015