User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Bactrim DS Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Bactrim helped with my bladder infection symptoms, but I have had the worst headache for three days straight from it. It hurts so bad that I've been nauseous. I hope I never have to take this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2015

"It's my 4th day on Bactrim and it has not been great. I feel better from the overall symptoms but I've been fatigued and super groggy and for the first day I had a horrible headache. I keep feeling my heart pounding in my head and ears, but I agree with pretty much everyone else on here, the symptoms from the cure are better than the symptoms of my bladder/kidney infection. I've got 6 more days... Is it effective? Yes. Is it an enjoyable experience? No."

y1223445 March 17, 2015

"I took a form of this medication a couple of years ago (Septra, which has the same ingredients) and it cleared up my UTI, although I thought it was a little slow to fully work. So when I got a UTI about a week ago suddenly, I asked my doc to prescribe it for me again, only this time it was Bactrim. I'm funny with antibiotics, I don't like taking them and I have a very sensitive stomach, so I like to stick with what works. Took it again this time, and noticed my symptoms improved, then got bad again. I had two side effects this time, loss of appetite and jittery feeling. I went back to my doc and my urine sample still showed white blood cells, so they sent my sample out to be cultured for a better prescription. It helped but didn't cure it."

DeeAW2010 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

"It didn't work it gave me a cold and headaches and severe cough and a yeast infection, it's day 7 of 10 and I have NO RELEIF. I do not recommend this. Maybe it just doesn't work for me I don't know. I don't think I'd ever use it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2015

"it is important to know medications affect everyone differently Your genetic chemical makeup is not the same as sue or bill. FYI you are encouraged to drink lots of water when taking Bactrim not everyone will have the same symptoms it is a sulfa drug so if you have an allergy to Sulfa drugs then you might want to tell your doctor let him know and they can prescribe you something else only thing I've had symptom wise with bactrim is a headache and ibuprofen will normally help with the body aches and headache but if you are having any adverse reaction it's a good idea to let your physician or pharmacy know. Zofran is good for nausea and benedryl may be effective with hives or rash but if you have any concerns please consult a medical profes"

kimberlyjaex (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2015

"I have had these urinary tract infections and the only thing that works quickly is the Bactrim DS. It works in a matter of days. Side effects are different for everyone but as mild as mine have been I would choose this over any other antibiotic. Very happy! Make sure that you always take the full dose and the whole bottle as prescribed even though it feels like it's going away. best wishes!"

Mustang girl (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2015

"For those that are experiencing headaches and nausea, drink a glass of milk before taking Bactrim. This always works for me."

Rhiannoncat December 22, 2014

"This made my very sick to my stomach. I couldn't even finish the bottle. I stopped the day before yesterday and still have severe nausea and insomnia. I just want to feel better!"

Sorbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2014

"I have reoccuring UTI's and have taken several different antibiotics for them. I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS. After taking the second pill, the aching, pain and soreness was almost gone. It works better for me than Cipro, but you should always have a urine culture to be sure which antibiotic is best for you. Fortunately, I haven't had any terrible side effects. The only side effect is feeling a bit fatiqued a few hours after taking Bactrim."

SmokyMtnWoman (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2014

"Worked after one dose. High dose of 3 strong pills once only. But today I feel lightheaded, dizzy and low appetite."

no name n September 24, 2014

"Taken this medicine for urinary tract infection. Pain stopped after taking medicine 1 day. Side effects on day 3 horrible. ..weakness, bad nausea, lightheaded, loss of appetite, and headache."

ms. too August 11, 2014

"I used to get recurrent urinary tract infections but hadn't had one in 7 years. Just got one and they tried nitrofurantonin but it did nothing. I got Bactrim and the urgency and burning was gone within hours. I don't like taking antibiotics but UTIs are no joke. Bactrim worked for me and thank goodness. I get a little stomach ache but it beats the UTI symptoms!"

Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2014

"Felt mild relief, Doc said it should be gone in 3 days gave me enough to take it for 5 days in case it was not gone. I also experienced fevers and achiness. Not pleasant. Everyday I had discomfort and today I am out of it and feel terrible with my urinary tract symptoms again."

JessG May 19, 2014

"Make sure Bactrim is actually the correct medication for your UTI! I took Bactrim for 4 days with no relief before my doctor's office got the results back from my UA and realized that Bactrim is resistant to the bacteria causing my UTI. Now I am taking Cipro and it seems to be doing the trick. I did not have any side effects with Bactrim though, it just didn't work for me."

elletee November 11, 2013

"Bactrim did a great job! My whole lower part of the body hurt and burned, it was awful. I couldn't even walk for a while without feeling strong pain. Going to the toilet was a nightmare and it happened every five minutes. I took Bactrim and the symptoms got worse, but then in two days I was cured. no pain, no nothing. Bactrim is perfect."

lollipop69 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have frequent urinary tract infections and I've taken this many times but hadn't in five or so years because my urinary tract infection became resistant to it. Now since I'm taking it again its given me the jitters and acid reflux but those are still better that cystitis. "

angellwingg June 20, 2013

"Had a 7 day prescription of Bactrim DS. The first two days I had a headache, then the 3rd day I started feeling nausea which turned into nausea/dizziness/and constant fatigue. I've been off the medicine for 36 hours and still feel extremely exhausted, and still dizzy and a little queasy at times. "

Anonymous April 5, 2013

"I asked my doctor for a different type of antibiotic to take for this urinary tract infection instead of Cipro. This is my second day taking Bactrim for my UTI and I can already see improvement! It feels like the infections almost gone. I do however get a little bit of an upset stomach so eat something substantial just before taking it and drink a few more bottles of water than normal and you will be golden!"

Anonymous September 29, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Third day of medicine but still having symptoms. Those of you who report adverse reactions and then go on taking the medicine should know that is not a good idea. I am allergic to several antibiotics, and my doc says stop taking at the first sign of any reaction as it can be very serious."

calgenie (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

"I have been on Bactrim DS for 7 days. After day 3 I began to notice severe headache about 4 hours after taking the Bactrim. Now on day 7, I have not only had headache, but light-headedness/nausea. With only 3 days left, I am going to continue the medicine. My urinary tract infection symptoms have improved finally after 5 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2012

"I also had similar experiences and side effects like lethargy, shaking, confusion slightly, severe fatigue, headaches, aches and pains, but kept taking the medicine anyway because the pain of a urinary tract infection is much much worse. I'd rather suffer for a short time with these symptoms then suffer with a bladder infection."

none01 April 13, 2012

"Used this medication for three days. It appeared to work well until my urinary tract infection returned a week after I finished the medication. My doctor then prescribed Cipro. My fingers are crossed, praying this cures it."

Anonymous January 30, 2012

"I have bad side effects from all antibiotics, which is why I ended up with a long-standing urinary tract infection. I was given Bactrim DS by my doctor. I was really afraid to take this medications, so I cut a pill in half. I also took 1/4 of a Phenergan to help with possible nausea. I was fine all day. No side effects at all until about 4 hours in. Then I developed extreme body aches, especially stiff neck and a low grade fever (which lasted 3 days). I didn't take another one, checked my urine with a dipstick and it was clear. Unfortunately the urinary tract infection came back the next day because I didn't take enough. I tried 1/4 of a pill and had the same side effects 4 hours later. No more of those for me. Going back to the doctor for something else."

Goosewoman November 30, 2011

"Received a seven day prescription for Bactrim and on the 5th day lost appetite, had terrible body aches, and extreme fatigue. On the 6th day, had a fever, and chills too. Stopped the treatment on the 7th day. Then on the evening of the 8th day developed a rash all over my upper body and face. Pharmacist recommend Benadryl which helped somewhat. Having a urinalysis in a week and surely hope it worked and cleared up my urinary tract infection. "

redpuff September 4, 2011

"Bad adverse reactions: heart racing, low blood pressure, kidney and bladder pain, severe nausea, shaking so that I could not drive, fatigue, blurred vision . Rash came out after I went off the drug."

wisernow August 27, 2011