User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Bactrim DS review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by SmokyMtnWoman (taken for less than 1 month):

I have reoccuring UTI's and have taken several different antibiotics for them. I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS. After taking the second pill, the aching, pain and soreness was almost gone. It works better for me than Cipro, but you should always have a urine culture to be sure which antibiotic is best for you. Fortunately, I haven't had any terrible side effects. The only side effect is feeling a bit fatiqued a few hours after taking Bactrim.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by no name n:

Worked after one dose. High dose of 3 strong pills once only. But today I feel lightheaded, dizzy and low appetite.

September 24, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by ms. too:

Taken this medicine for urinary tract infection. Pain stopped after taking medicine 1 day. Side effects on day 3 horrible. ..weakness, bad nausea, lightheaded, loss of appetite, and headache.

August 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Dani11 (taken for less than 1 month):

I used to get recurrent urinary tract infections but hadn't had one in 7 years. Just got one and they tried nitrofurantonin but it did nothing. I got Bactrim and the urgency and burning was gone within hours. I don't like taking antibiotics but UTIs are no joke. Bactrim worked for me and thank goodness. I get a little stomach ache but it beats the UTI symptoms!

June 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by JessG:

Felt mild relief, Doc said it should be gone in 3 days gave me enough to take it for 5 days in case it was not gone. I also experienced fevers and achiness. Not pleasant. Everyday I had discomfort and today I am out of it and feel terrible with my urinary tract symptoms again.

May 19, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by elletee:

Make sure Bactrim is actually the correct medication for your UTI! I took Bactrim for 4 days with no relief before my doctor's office got the results back from my UA and realized that Bactrim is resistant to the bacteria causing my UTI. Now I am taking Cipro and it seems to be doing the trick. I did not have any side effects with Bactrim though, it just didn't work for me.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 11:18 AM

Review by lollipop69 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bactrim did a great job! My whole lower part of the body hurt and burned, it was awful. I couldn't even walk for a while without feeling strong pain. Going to the toilet was a nightmare and it happened every five minutes. I took Bactrim and the symptoms got worse, but then in two days I was cured. no pain, no nothing. Bactrim is perfect.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 9:01 PM

Review by angellwingg:

I have frequent urinary tract infections and I've taken this many times but hadn't in five or so years because my urinary tract infection became resistant to it. Now since I'm taking it again its given me the jitters and acid reflux but those are still better that cystitis.

June 20, 2013 3:21 AM

Had a 7 day prescription of Bactrim DS. The first two days I had a headache, then the 3rd day I started feeling nausea which turned into nausea/dizziness/and constant fatigue. I've been off the medicine for 36 hours and still feel extremely exhausted, and still dizzy and a little queasy at times.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2013 4:01 PM

I asked my doctor for a different type of antibiotic to take for this urinary tract infection instead of Cipro. This is my second day taking Bactrim for my UTI and I can already see improvement! It feels like the infections almost gone. I do however get a little bit of an upset stomach so eat something substantial just before taking it and drink a few more bottles of water than normal and you will be golden!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2012 10:07 AM

Review by calgenie (taken for less than 1 month):

Third day of medicine but still having symptoms. Those of you who report adverse reactions and then go on taking the medicine should know that is not a good idea. I am allergic to several antibiotics, and my doc says stop taking at the first sign of any reaction as it can be very serious.

August 2, 2012 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Bactrim DS for 7 days. After day 3 I began to notice severe headache about 4 hours after taking the Bactrim. Now on day 7, I have not only had headache, but light-headedness/nausea. With only 3 days left, I am going to continue the medicine. My urinary tract infection symptoms have improved finally after 5 days.

May 13, 2012 3:58 PM

Review by none01:

I also had similar experiences and side effects like lethargy, shaking, confusion slightly, severe fatigue, headaches, aches and pains, but kept taking the medicine anyway because the pain of a urinary tract infection is much much worse. I'd rather suffer for a short time with these symptoms then suffer with a bladder infection.

April 13, 2012 11:28 AM

Used this medication for three days. It appeared to work well until my urinary tract infection returned a week after I finished the medication. My doctor then prescribed Cipro. My fingers are crossed, praying this cures it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2012 7:25 PM

Review by Goosewoman:

I have bad side effects from all antibiotics, which is why I ended up with a long-standing urinary tract infection. I was given Bactrim DS by my doctor. I was really afraid to take this medications, so I cut a pill in half. I also took 1/4 of a Phenergan to help with possible nausea. I was fine all day. No side effects at all until about 4 hours in. Then I developed extreme body aches, especially stiff neck and a low grade fever (which lasted 3 days). I didn't take another one, checked my urine with a dipstick and it was clear. Unfortunately the urinary tract infection came back the next day because I didn't take enough. I tried 1/4 of a pill and had the same side effects 4 hours later. No more of those for me. Going back to the doctor for something else.

November 30, 2011 2:28 PM

Review by redpuff:

Received a seven day prescription for Bactrim and on the 5th day lost appetite, had terrible body aches, and extreme fatigue. On the 6th day, had a fever, and chills too. Stopped the treatment on the 7th day. Then on the evening of the 8th day developed a rash all over my upper body and face. Pharmacist recommend Benadryl which helped somewhat. Having a urinalysis in a week and surely hope it worked and cleared up my urinary tract infection.

September 4, 2011 6:33 PM

Review by wisernow:

Bad adverse reactions: heart racing, low blood pressure, kidney and bladder pain, severe nausea, shaking so that I could not drive, fatigue, blurred vision . Rash came out after I went off the drug.

August 27, 2011 7:30 PM

I'm very obsessive. Somewhere around a few years ago I started obsessing and being paranoid about medications. So, as I'm sure you are all doing right now, you're looking up reviews on this medication to determine if you'll take it. Just like I did. I almost gave myself a panic attack thinking about possibly taking this medicine and then having a serious allergic reaction. Luckily though, while speaking with my pharmacist he let me know I took this medicine last year and I remembered I was fine. The point is, every medicine has adverse effects. Chances are, you won't have major side effects.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2011 12:31 AM

Have a persistent urinary tract infection and took this medication about four weeks ago. The urinary tract infection came back so a second go-around. This time after one pill I had a hefty case of hives and a very sore tongue and headache for about two days.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2011 2:30 AM

This medicine improved the quality of my life. I have interstitial cystitis. I have to use this twice a day for 20 years. It's hard when I change doctors to get it prescribed but I always get it. I would not live with the pain of this disease if it was not for this medicine.

December 6, 2010 3:11 PM

Took this for 3 days. 2nd day got severe itching on palms and soles of feet. Day three had uncontrollable shakes, heart racing, felt like it was going to come out of my chest, facial numbness, dizzy, very elevated (for me) blood pressure of 145/90, whole body tingling, dizziness, light headed, extremely intense nervousness, ringing in my ears.

September 17, 2010 5:49 AM

Taking Bactrim for urinary tract infection, can't sleep, stomach on fire, after first pill I felt like I was tripping on acid. On day three now and back hurts. Looks like I get to miss another day of work and go back to doctor.

August 25, 2010 12:53 AM

I have taken it before and it seemed to clear my urinary tract infection up well. However, this last time after my first pill (in the afternoon), I felt flushed, bad headache, chills, some pain inhaling breaths, and facial swelling the morning when I woke up though it went down quickly.

January 16, 2010 12:20 PM

I've just taken my 3rd pill and everytime I take it I feel extremely lousy. Terrible headaches, dizziness, blurry vision, shaky nervousness, some difficulty breathing, beginning to itch. I don't like this at all the way I feel. Just before I need to take the next dose I'm feeling my old normal self and then I take the Bactrim and boom I go downhill, again. Told my doctor I quit...it's ruining the quality of my life.

December 23, 2009 3:44 AM

Little did I know, I am horribly allergic to Sulfa. After two pills, I began experiencing horrible leg and arm cramps. They were so bad, that I was unable to stand for longer than a couple of minutes. These symptoms took about a week to fully disappear and this was from taking only 2 pills!

September 7, 2009 11:13 PM