User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

Review by badboy 4:

Was on it a month did not sleep and moods were all over the place.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by chickenpork (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I take 3x 75mg throughout the day. I feel sedated on it sometimes but I can function. I have no anxiety and depression episodes never get below a point. My mood is way more stable and I don't ever get the huge downers but occasionally still get the big highs. Usually I am just feeling content which is where I want to be. It has saved my life and I can now hold down a job and get back to Uni.

August 25, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by thedavebloke (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have unipolar depression with occasional manic symptoms. For 20 years I was on antidepressants but started Quetiapine about 6 months ago in conjunction with Citalopram. When I reached a daily dose of 300mg I was feeling great mentally. But the side effects of constipation and tiredness made it difficult to stay on this medication long-term so I'll be trying lamotrigine next.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by Paigem:

This is the best medicine I've come across. I was diagnosed with depression at 14 and I'm now 17. I previously had been on Pristiq, Prozac and Valium. I was put on 200 mg Seroquel during an inpatient stay at a psychiatric clinic. It's true, there are ridiculous amounts of side effects. For me I had the hungover feeling, the weight gain, zombie feeling in the day, lack of focus and I'd have a lot of aggression. However, I don't have these side effects anymore through therapy and doing the opposite of a symptom e.g. no weight gain by exercising. I still sleep like a baby, my moods are pretty level and I feel HAPPY. All I can say is you cannot expect a medicine like this to work overnight and without yourself putting in effort!

November 15, 2013 8:20 PM

Review by shellwoo:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine.

September 25, 2013 2:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!

June 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med

April 30, 2013 5:19 AM

Review by Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants.

April 23, 2013 4:24 PM

Review by AnonymousIndian:

I was prescribed Seroquel along with an antidepressant for mild depression. It helps with insomnia but pretty much knocks you out for 24 hours. You don't feel the energy to do any work. And the weight gain was pretty bad. I gained 40 lb in 11 months of this medication. Right now I am coming off it and feeling better.

March 7, 2013 1:24 AM

Review by Kat34 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking between 150-300mg of quetiapine for 5 years. This medicine has transformed my life and combined with venlafaxine it keeps my depression, anxiety and anorexia at bay. The tiredness is a small price to pay for being able to work full time and greatly reduce the need for psych admissions.

March 3, 2013 12:32 PM

Review by angela offer:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Quetiapine 25mg used to get over Post traumatic stress disorder post Mental Health problems caused by an allergy to Valium. Presently taking 50% of a tablet at night.

December 16, 2012 9:44 PM

Review by thebeesknees92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel was awful.. my doctor prescribed two 700mg at night and I slept so much! When I wasn't sleeping I was exercising, still I gained 30lbs. I had extreme paranoia, never knew where I was or how I got there, and always woke up in sleep paralysis. Made my depression, anxiety and bipolar worse.

September 13, 2012 2:14 PM

Review by EngTeacherJenny (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I have been taking 150MGx2 along with 10MG of Lexapro to help with chronic depression. Due to divorce this summer, I told my Dr I was feeling more depressed and he raised my dose of Seroquel to 200x2 at bed time. I am a teacher and the last 2 days I have not been able to get up. I start to get dressed and wake up hours later standing at the mirror with a toothbrush in my hand. Lucky for me we don't have students yet but I am terrified I will continue oversleeping and miss my classes. Also, I am having muscle spasms in my right hand, dropping things I am holding, throwing eggs across the room. The only change in my routine is the bump up in dose so the problem has got to be that.

August 23, 2012 12:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I had HORRIBLE hot flashes.

July 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Review by Hang in there (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I have been suffering with severe anxiety and depression after developing panic attacks. I have always suffered with generalized anxiety but have not had panic attacks for over 12 years. I haven't taken any medication during that time. I was driving home one evening and out of nowhere a severe panic attack hit me and left me immobilized on a bridge where I just froze. Fatigue, anxiousness, guilt and dread. While I am receiving help from a counselor and my GP, I have been taking Zoloft 100mg in the morning and 50mg of Seroquel. Seroquel has helped me considerably. I take Seroquel at 6pm which usually helps me fall asleep by 9.30pm and wake around 7am. This reduces the hangover effect. I am feeling better since taking Seroquel.

May 5, 2012 7:59 PM

Review by Angrybird:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Was taken off Geodon because of night-time anxiety and put on Seroquel XR. I feel so unmotivated. Sedated. I no more feel better by afternoon when it's time to take it again. I dread the next dose. Haven't felt this depressed in a while.

April 11, 2012 2:34 PM

Review by Happyface Chick:

Seroquel (quetiapine): After a 6 week period of a severe depressive episode with panic attacks and extreme anxiety, I checked myself into the hospital. The doctor completely changed my meds to Prozac, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and at bedtime 10 mg Ambien and 400 mg Seroquel. This combination has worked wonders for me. I started falling and staying asleep for a good 8 hours, my ruminating has stopped almost completely, and my depression has really lifted. I attribute a lot of that to the Seroquel, in that it augments the effects of my antidepressants, stops my mind from racing, and has me sleeping well. The two side effects I've had are grogginess (which has gotten better) and the munchies. I keep fresh fruits and veggies handy at night to snack on instead of junk.

April 10, 2012 10:28 PM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Review by Nix2012:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I've had depression for 12 years, and have been on Paxil about 10. The Paxil worked for a few years, but the anxiety and depression slowly worked its way back into my life. So along with the Paxil they added other drugs (Effexor, Wellbutrin) but they made me even more anxious. I was finally put on regular Seroquel and found it worked for a little while, but I was so tired all the time I couldn't function the next day. I was literally fired from 3 jobs from being stuck in bed and refusing to get up. I was switched to Seroquel XR 100mg last year combined with the 90mgs of Paxil I'm still on, and I've found a drastic improvement in my mood, anger and anxiety. My only complaint would be how sleepy it makes me in the mornings. A large coffee or a caffeinated beverage does the trick though and its worth the sleepiness to have some peace of mind.

January 18, 2012 9:22 PM