User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

"I'm 38, have struggled with depression and been suicidal searching for help since I was 13-14. Finally found a psychiatrist who understood. She prescribed 100 seroquel daily and ect. Only had 3 out of 4 ect treatments. That together with seroquel have never felt better or more stable in my life. Still have issue with anxiety with writing essays. Was prescribed a 25mg tablet to put under tongue. It works great. I had trouble at first with medication as I was taking morning and night. I would be falling asleep at pre start meetings at work. I know take nightly before bed. I sleep great and wake up refreshed. This drug works. You just have to work out the right time to take it."

Dougmac July 12, 2015

"I have been struggling to find a medication for my simple depression for about a year in a half now, basically tried all ssri's and s couple of others, I am now on 40 mg of prozac ( which I feel like I don't need) and 150 mg of regular seroquel before bed, the xr made me really tired and moody, plus the expense was outrageous, but trying the regular I finally feel myself again, although its my first day taking it I feel balanced out and basically normal again. Ps if your struggling out their keep fighting! God put the hardest problems on us for a reason!"

Tom 17 June 13, 2015

"I suffered from high anxiety, panic, deep depression - started on Seroquel 25 morning and 25 night, coupled with 75mg Tofranil at night. These two combinations saved my life. Seroquel took some getting used to, have gained some weight and had some vision problems, but all in all feeling so much better, would highly recommend Seroquel for anxiety related issues."

Green eyed girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"Helped with anxiety but made my depression worst"

Lovonne March 16, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy."

cdfig83 February 20, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this."

Mikfr November 28, 2014

"Was on it a month did not sleep and moods were all over the place."

badboy 4 August 25, 2014

"I take 3x 75mg throughout the day. I feel sedated on it sometimes but I can function. I have no anxiety and depression episodes never get below a point. My mood is way more stable and I don't ever get the huge downers but occasionally still get the big highs. Usually I am just feeling content which is where I want to be. It has saved my life and I can now hold down a job and get back to Uni."

chickenpork (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2014

"I have taken a simple anti-depressant such as Effexor for years. I never felt they fully did the job. When talking to my Dr. one day, I told her my sleep patterns were horrible, with insomnia, or awaking early. She suggested Seroquel as an additive. I have been on it for about a year, and I have never felt so rested. I have a better focus. I even think it has really helped my depression a bit. Yes, it does increase my appetite a bit , but I try to eat healthy foods and walk. You must take it a full 8 hours before you want to awake, or you may be droggy. I am really satisfied."

Byrd Mama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable."

sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have unipolar depression with occasional manic symptoms. For 20 years I was on antidepressants but started Quetiapine about 6 months ago in conjunction with Citalopram. When I reached a daily dose of 300mg I was feeling great mentally. But the side effects of constipation and tiredness made it difficult to stay on this medication long-term so I'll be trying lamotrigine next."

thedavebloke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal."

WannaBeBetterForever February 7, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work."

Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2013

"This is the best medicine I've come across. I was diagnosed with depression at 14 and I'm now 17. I previously had been on Pristiq, Prozac and Valium. I was put on 200 mg Seroquel during an inpatient stay at a psychiatric clinic. It's true, there are ridiculous amounts of side effects. For me I had the hungover feeling, the weight gain, zombie feeling in the day, lack of focus and I'd have a lot of aggression. However, I don't have these side effects anymore through therapy and doing the opposite of a symptom e.g. no weight gain by exercising. I still sleep like a baby, my moods are pretty level and I feel HAPPY. All I can say is you cannot expect a medicine like this to work overnight and without yourself putting in effort!"

Paigem November 15, 2013

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine. "

shellwoo November 14, 2013

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine."

Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2013

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not."

TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med"

Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2013

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants."

Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2013

"I was prescribed Seroquel along with an antidepressant for mild depression. It helps with insomnia but pretty much knocks you out for 24 hours. You don't feel the energy to do any work. And the weight gain was pretty bad. I gained 40 lb in 11 months of this medication. Right now I am coming off it and feeling better. "

AnonymousIndian March 7, 2013

"I have been taking between 150-300mg of quetiapine for 5 years. This medicine has transformed my life and combined with venlafaxine it keeps my depression, anxiety and anorexia at bay. The tiredness is a small price to pay for being able to work full time and greatly reduce the need for psych admissions."

Kat34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2013

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Quetiapine 25mg used to get over Post traumatic stress disorder post Mental Health problems caused by an allergy to Valium. Presently taking 50% of a tablet at night."

angela offer December 16, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel was awful.. my doctor prescribed two 700mg at night and I slept so much! When I wasn't sleeping I was exercising, still I gained 30lbs. I had extreme paranoia, never knew where I was or how I got there, and always woke up in sleep paralysis. Made my depression, anxiety and bipolar worse."

thebeesknees92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2012