User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 111 reviews 102 medications

5.7
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 527 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by dustbowl (taken for 10 years or more):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking this for five years and have never been better. I think you just have to find what works for you. My Psych Doc is the best!

January 8, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by DP0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has really helped with my bipolar. I take 300mg (slow release) every evening and it's really helped balance my moods and ease any depressive episodes. Only side effect is feeling like a zombie if I wake up too early, but it's all about taking the pill at the right time before you sleep. If anything I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had when taken properly.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by Jon Dough (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Currently on .2mg of Clonidine and 300mg of Seroquel for Insomnia. Works fine.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 2:49 AM

Review by SleepLikeaBaby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking this since it was prescribed in detox three years ago. It has worked wonders for me. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mg pill and sleep though the night. I don't take it on the weekends to avoid building a tolerance. Sometimes if I am under stress, I will take a 1/2 pill. The only thing I notice is that I need to take it when I have at 7 hours to sleep or I may be groggy in the morning.

December 13, 2014 7:08 PM

Review by PixelPop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Unfortunately after more than a year, pervasive stuff like weight gain, increased lipids, diabetes all started to be present. Great for a while but I started toned more of it to deal with psychotic symptoms and the sedative nature of it got in the way. Swapped to paliperidone ER, which is more focused on the psychotic symptoms and doing well without the sedation.

December 12, 2014 4:46 AM

Review by julie bird:

For Insomnia: I have extreme social and general, am bipolar, and insomnia so bad I would cry on and off all night ,every night. Besides other anxiety meds, I take 50mg to 100mg of Seroquel every night about an hour before bed. It shuts off my racing thoughts, and I actually sleep. This has been my miracle because I was barely functioning, if at all. it does make me hungry, but I find if I eat a little something before I take it, I can control the munchies. This is little payment for the new life it's brought me.

December 11, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by zaiyd&lola (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: I'm been on Seroquel since been diagnosed (now 18 months). Started taking 50g but now I'm on 100g. I've got to the point on this medication that the side effects are too much. Constantly tired. Feel very vague. My memory is terrible. I'm starting to forget about things I've already done. Still very paranoid. Also I'm still having panic attacks. So for me, it's time to move on and try something new (Olanzapine).

December 6, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids.

December 6, 2014 4:00 AM

Review by srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years

December 5, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by scrutiny:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Calming and antidepressant effect good. Vivid REM sleep and dreams.

December 3, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Corksters (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: Seroquel- Out of Risperdal, Zyprexa, Trilafon, Abilify, Haldol, and Geodon, Seroquel is by far the best one. At lower doses, it is good for anxiety. You don't feel like a zombie on it. Obviously it helps you sleep, but at lower doses you won't be sleepy or if you just take it at bed time. Abilify and Haldol turned me into a complete zombie it was terrible. Risperdal had sexual side effects and of course the breast growth issue, but I would say Risperdal is the second best one behind Seroquel. Haldol and Abilify help paranoia big time but they also exasperate anxiety, definitely stay away from those. Geodon and Zyprexa are worse than those medicines. Geodon made me disoriented, helpless, still very paranoid. Zyprexa is probably the second worst.

December 1, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Mikfr:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.

November 28, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by mysteriousdarkness (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: LIFESAVER. I tried antidepressant after antidepressant, all exacerbating my original anxiety symptoms- nausea, vomiting, insomnia, brain zaps, anziety, agitation, headaches/ migraines. You name it, I had it and the antidepressants made it worse. Been on Quetiapine XR 50mg and I'm still trying to get used to how GOOD I feel. for the first time in YEARS I'm not waking up nauseous and dry-retching, appetite is normal, sleeping a blissful 8 hours a night and waking up easily in the morning, alert and awake during the day. My anxiety is just GONE. I still have emotions, I still care about things, but this feels like what I imagine a normal person feels like. e.g. I can cope without panicking!! 10/10!!!

November 28, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by lovexpickles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I used to have terrible anxiety and racing thoughts and would break down crying every day. I started taking 25mg of Seroquel every night and I am no longer anxious. I have a great sleep every night and wake up feeling awesome. I don't need Ativan anymore for panic attacks as they have ceased completely. I tried Wellbutrin for a while and it made me crazy...for anyone who is nervous about taking an antidepressant or benzos I would highly recommend this medication. I feel like myself - no tremor or fogginess or zombie-like feelings. Occasionally my legs feel a bit restless but I can deal with that. No issues if I don't take it for a night and want to go for drinks or something. No issues with weight gain. Highly recommend! I got my life back.

November 24, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by PaultheComposer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 5:34 PM

Review by GetOffMyMeds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Does not improve my quality of life. Depression continued and developed major cognitive disfunction. I could not even communicate what was happening to me or for any wants or needs.

November 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by Krazi165 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Don't worry about weight gain! I've taken Seroquel for two years, and let me tell you you can stay fit and or lose weight! The hardest is the munchies at night, but if you can control that and or snack healthy you will be FINE. You don't have to have a strict diet on this medication. Exercise and eat healthy as much as you can. You can still enjoy giving into cravings! You have to adjust to the major hunger especially at night. See what works for you. This medicine is amazing and works very well. Just give it a chance. After two years I have not gained any weight but have actually lost since I began taking it. It's a little hard at first but once you figure out what works for you you'll have a happy life emotionally and physically!

November 21, 2014 11:10 AM

Review by Brinx321:

For Insomnia: I had severe insomnia for years which caused major major depression and anxiety. I tried a ton of medications, but Seroquel was definitely the best. I'm still on it at 150mg (3 x 50), which gives me 7.5-9 hours sleep/night. When I take 100mg, I get about 5.5-6.5 hrs sleep. I take it an hour or so before bed. It sucked for about a week when I got on it, but I have been on it for 3 years now and it's a lifesaver. I still have nights where I have bad sleep, but it's rare. I have had 0 side effects. Just as a reference, mirtazipine did work for me too, but I gained weight. Ambien never worked well and benzodiazepines worked, but addiction scared me. Insomnia is the worst and this medicine gave me my life back.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by LUVQUETIAPINE (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication has been a life saver. I had major anxiety and paranoia and could not sleep. Now I have zero anxiety, I am no longer paranoid and I do not wake up once during the night. Love this medication.

November 16, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Georgia SS (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I live in New Zealand. I took less tan 25mg once a night (I'd break it in half, sometimes even quarters) and it helped me sleep, reduced anxiety, and helped stabilize my mood. I took this with 40mg of fluoxetine. I've returned to taking it with 225mg of venlafaxine a few times to ease anxiety when needed. After about 12 months of taking it, I began to feel very lethargic, and generally slow, and my short term memory basically stopped existing. I had to stop taking it then. I wish it were available to 12.5mg tablets. My main issue was having to take more than needed due to the tablet size.

November 16, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by ECCENTRICAKIRE:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully..

November 14, 2014 2:17 AM

Review by kaykay729:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life.

November 14, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by Gemini21:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!

November 10, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by mnj34113:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate