User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 108 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 512 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by SleepLikeaBaby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking this since it was prescribed in detox three years ago. It has worked wonders for me. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mg pill and sleep though the night. I don't take it on the weekends to avoid building a tolerance. Sometimes if I am under stress, I will take a 1/2 pill. The only thing I notice is that I need to take it when I have at 7 hours to sleep or I may be groggy in the morning.

December 13, 2014 7:08 PM

Review by PixelPop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Unfortunately after more than a year, pervasive stuff like weight gain, increased lipids, diabetes all started to be present. Great for a while but I started toned more of it to deal with psychotic symptoms and the sedative nature of it got in the way. Swapped to paliperidone ER, which is more focused on the psychotic symptoms and doing well without the sedation.

December 12, 2014 4:46 AM

Review by srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years

December 5, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by scrutiny:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Calming and antidepressant effect good. Vivid REM sleep and dreams.

December 3, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Mikfr:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this.

November 28, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel.

November 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by PaultheComposer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly.

November 22, 2014 5:34 PM

Review by GetOffMyMeds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Does not improve my quality of life. Depression continued and developed major cognitive disfunction. I could not even communicate what was happening to me or for any wants or needs.

November 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by LUVQUETIAPINE (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication has been a life saver. I had major anxiety and paranoia and could not sleep. Now I have zero anxiety, I am no longer paranoid and I do not wake up once during the night. Love this medication.

November 16, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by kaykay729:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life.

November 14, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by Gemini21:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by mnj34113:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by Doug S. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I have had chronic insomnia for three years along with occasional anxiety and mind racing. I've tried many of the major hitters, Ambien CR, Temazepam, Lunesta, etc. along with many other OTC ones. Tried all the ‘before bed’ tips (tea, no TV, even tried massages, meditation, music). With three years of insomnia I am surprised I don’t have some kind of mental illness going on. Anyways, after my doctor tried putting me on Quetiapine, 25MG – All I remember is laying my head down on the pillow and it was ‘lights out’. I slept 8 full hours then had to use the bathroom. Then went back to sleep for another four hours and slept like a baby. Wow! I was a little ‘out of it’ when I got up, but after a hot shower and a cup of coffee, I felt great.

November 1, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication has truly saved my life! I have Bipolar 1 and would predominantly suffer from intense periods of mania, lasting up to 6 months. I was completely reckless and out of control in every way. Depression was less common but whenever it hit, I would attempt suicide and have done so three times in my life. However since taking quetapine, I became nearly instantly stable and I am now in Law School. No weight gain at all, not a single pound! However I cant loose weight either. I'm on 200mg daily at the moment.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 11:26 AM

Review by bpdjason (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I'm currently on a dosage of 50mg morning, 50mg afternoon, 100mg night. I requested my psych add this to my current medication, which is Welbutrin XL(300mg). The results have been strikingly positive. I personally have not experienced any significant side effects from either besides some minor weight gain. This combination is the first to make me feel hopeful, bring me out of a resistant depression and help with anxiety. Mood swings seem to be minimized compared to before this. They still happen but in a less extreme nature. I'm able to feel comfortable on my own, instead of going to a bar for company. I have yet to have the classic meltdown...I've experienced mental clarity that's been absent for years.

October 29, 2014 11:23 AM

Review by Dugan5555:

For Insomnia: I have been on all kinds of Benzodiazepines for sleep due to anxiety and periods of alcohol withdrawal. SEROQUEL has been a life saver. I am 220 lbs and 6 foot tall and first took 200 MG and slept twelve hours. I could of had major surgery and not awoke! I have found 100 mgs to be very effective where as Trazodone is about a third as effective. SEROQUEL is a great tool for sleep, and especially for those that are getting Benzos or other medicines!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel XR has changed my life! I tried regular Seroquel and it's like having your head in a bucket. The XL version feels like a completely different medicine. I take 100 mg at night. I wake up refreshed, happy, eager to start my day, I also take Lamictal 300 mg in the morning. No side effects from either medicine. I have been on both for about 7 years. I have been depressed once in that time and it was situational.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Seanie:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Seroquel for 7 years, after 20 years of delusional thoughts, mania, and large amounts of depression. It worked within two weeks and I noticed that when I woke up each day that my delusional thoughts were getting easier to identify and let go of. It changed my life. Since taking Seroquel, I have been able to learn how to drive, work in permanent jobs, save money, travel overseas, socialise, have a successful relationship and reconnect with the real me. I have also worked on my cognitive and emotional development and continue to attend counselling. I have gained 30kgs, but this has probably come about due to the combination of Seroquel, inactivity, diet and Sleep Apnea (of which I have only just been diagnosed).

October 16, 2014 1:06 AM

Review by Koalamaiden:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: When I first took Seroquel, I had the side effects of a type of motion sickness, as my head would whirl about, and I never knew if I was whirling or the surroundings were. I didn't want to stay on it, but was advised to give it longer. And to change from XR to regular. I did, and after about 6 weeks (from memory) I adjusted to it. Yes, I was so tired, went to cut a 300mg into halves, then to 200mg's, now to 300 mg again. Seroquel works for me, I've been on it for approx 18mnths or so. I sleep, my mind doesn't race or think or roam. I get a deep sleep. I was advised to get up early and it will wear off- yes, that happens. But it's not easy.

October 10, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Charlieaffective (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: No problems, watch what you eat.

October 8, 2014 9:13 PM

Review by MissGil (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed my life. I can hardly recognize myself. Much much calmer, not feeling obsessed, maniac or depressed. No racing thoughts. I never thought I could be like that. My life was a chaos. I've tried all different medicines and nothing seemed to help until I tried quetiapine. I am currently taking an antidepressant as well, but it is quetiapine that really makes the difference. I feel like I am fairly normal now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine turned me into a zombified eating machine. I put on 30 pounds in one month. It was also extremely sedating.

October 1, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Scooooter89 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I was on this medicine for almost three years and went off of it cold turkey because I thought I was better. Worst mistake of my life in 2013! A month or so ago I was put back on the medicine, just not quite as a high of a dose (800mg). I am now on 300mg and it has once again changed my life. I am happy again, feel like me, don't crave alcohol or other pills, and the mood swings have pretty much dissipated. This medicine is amazing and a life saver.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 6:31 PM

Review by intent2dement (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed 50mg of Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep. It works wonders for that, it didn't help much with my anxiety. I also take 1,000mg of Depakote per day and 20mg of Dexedrine ER for ADHD. The Depakote is no longer effective enough and my doctor is thinking about switching me to Lithium.

September 24, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by 0rdinarymadness:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel helped my paranoia and really kept me mentally stable, but I also was tired all the time, sometimes sleeping for 15 hours a day. I also gained 30 pounds within three months of being on Seroquel. I wouldn't recommend this medicine for anyone who does not wish to rapidly gain weight.

September 24, 2014 12:11 PM