User Reviews for Phenytoin

Also known as: Di-Phen, Dilantin, Phenytek, Phenytoin Sodium, Phenytoin Sodium, Extended Release, Phenytoin Sodium, Prompt

Learn more about Phenytoin.

Neurosurgery 2 reviews 5 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 0 reviews 358 medications Not rated - Be the first
Status Epilepticus 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Phenytoin reviews 67 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Phenytoin

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "Have been on Dilantin for 15 years. After having a major seizure that was life threatening, I have had only one minor seizure 13 years ago. Very dedicated to the medication and don't miss doses. I am now 73 and doing fantastic. Won't change but I do watch my level and know when it is high or low."

Bjc19 (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2015

Phenytek (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I had my first ever seizure on 8/4/93; one day before my 24th birthday, out of the 'clear blue.' I was first prescribed 400mg of Dilantin daily. I experienced muscle spasms/twitches, sleeplessness at night [and] sleepiness during my waking hours. I was switched to 400mg of Phenytek daily. At first the same symptoms persisted, but subsided over time. I have been on both Dilantin and Phenytek for 22 years; currently on Phenytek and my seizures are controlled, with minor/minimal side effects; occasional muscle twitching and/or headaches remedied with Tylenol. I hold down a full-time job, and I drive, so my #1 priority every night is to take my meds. So far, so good....."

D. P. (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2015

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "Side effects- over 5 years losing hair but I take it 3 times a day with other medication for Multiple Sclerosis."

no job (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2014

Phenytek (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "I've been taking this medicine for years. I was having difficulties keeping my medicine levels in the proper zone. The extended release has been great. I'm in a small group of people who need their Dilantin level slightly above the 10-20 range. I'm able to stay at 20-22 with the proper dosages that have been prescribed for me. I cannot take the generic brand. When I was on the generic, my levels were not as stable."

Chris Lab December 20, 2014

For Seizures: "Had grand mal and was prescribed Phenytoin slowly upping dose from 100x3 to 100x6. I was considered under controlled status even having 1-3 seizure (partial complex)not during month but all same day. Checking blood levels everything seems good. Doc says probably female hormones causing imbalance. Seems I have some side effects like confusion, short term memory issues, can't stand metal in my mouth like silverware it's a weird feeling, insomnia. Well, next script is different manufacturer. I never thought it would be such a big deal but I started to feel high/intoxicated (not fun) blurry vision, skin tone is changing, swollen gums, tingling in face arms hands legs and feet along with slight numbness, feel unbalance. "

Attitudee (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2014

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "I have been on Dilantin for 20 yrs it has helped me from having seizure when I remembered to take it but the past 5 years I have taken it everyday like I'm suppose to I take 300mg everyday in the morning at the same time. There has been one time that I had a seizure while taking my medicine everyday it happen at night and I only know this because I woke my wife up in the middle of it . I do have problems remembering things that happened not even five minutes ago but its not all the time. I have the swollen gums and problems talking (Saying the wrong word at the end of a sentence). I have experienced dizzy spells but only if I took too much (Taking my meds and forgetting about taken it) Better safe than sorry."

oneluvforlif July 10, 2014

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I found out that I had a cyst on my brain after having a seizure during football practice in college. Funny thing is that I had been playing football since I had been in the sixth grade and never new anything. Before any CT scan or MRI was performed, it was thought that the seizure was a result from contact while playing. After test were conducted, apparently the cyst was a result of spinal meningitis from my childhood. I'm not a doctor nor do I understanding everything but never the less, I was placed on Dilantin. It took about six months to regulate my dosage of 500 mg per day. I have now been on Dilantin for 28 years and have never had a seizure while taking my meds correctly. Football was over but, I live great life with Dilantin."

DTUM (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2014

For Epilepsy: "I have taken phenytoin for nearly 3 years . I am now on 500mg which does concern me even though it controls my seizures really well. So far I have swollen gums and some memory and motivation problem, although I am 58 so that might account for that."

wear May 6, 2014

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Neurosurgery: "I've been taking phenytoin for the past 8 months now as I had a bleed on the brain that caused me to fit. I've noticed that it's stopped me from having a seizure since the day I fitted. But ever since I've been feeling weak can't remember things from day to day and can't remember what I done like 10mins ago, I'm taking 300mg every night and I feel spaced out every day and can't be bothered doing anything I'm only 22."

docker March 24, 2014

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "I had my first grand-mal seizure out of the blue at 26yrs of age 39 years ago! Dilantin has kept me free from seizures when I have remembered to take the medication. Over the years I have had several other seizures but only due to neglecting to take the tablets. I am on 330mg per day (130mg in the morning and 300mg in the evening). I am very thankful to God for Dilantin! I do have a real tendency to be always tired and swollen gums, but otherwise no other side-effects."

Iano (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2014

For Seizures: "I am 53 and have been taking 500 mg of Dilantin for over 7 years. I have had over 10 grand-mal seizures prior to taking Dilantin. I have not had any seizures since I go every 6 months to check Dilantin levels all good. Don't know what I would do without it. I can feel a little spacey if I don't take it on time I take all at once in the morning."

kimowasabi1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2014

For Epilepsy: "I have taking dilantin since I was 13 years old, now I am 66 years old. I take 360mg at night, I haven't had a seizure (grand mal) for 33 years now, I get headaches sometimes (MIGRAINE), I sleep good, I am an active type person, I swim, ride a bike, go to the gym 3 times a week."

FRED/ December 29, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I have been taking Dilantin for about two weeks and so far no problems, hopefully I won't have any."

Arabella123 September 25, 2013

For Epilepsy: "I am 37 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy 5 weeks ago. I was put on the phenytoin capsules and take 300 mg at bedtime (which I take faithfully). Lately I've noticed my energy level has increased and I haven't had a seizure in 8 days, but I notice I wake up with a headache mostly to the back of my head. I also have been having so really weird dreams. It is 3 in the morning here and of course I awoke with a headache and a slightly stiffer neck. "

coco 37 September 13, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I've been on Dilantin a short while. First month was fine. 5th week I started getting low grade fevers, nausea, pinprick rashes, slightly swollen gums. 6th week my gums were very swollen, so much that it hurts to eat and talk. No sex drive for who knows how long, acne like I've never had before, vasodilation to the point of my entire body being red and feeling extremely hot - 98 degrees temperature, compared to a normal 80 - 85. I haven't had any seizures, but I'm miserable, so I'm titrating down and will try something else."

Catalytic (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "It does do a good job, but I also take Depakote( 4,000mg) with Dilantin(500mg) and I still have seizures. The less active I am, the fewer seizures (grand mal)."

wiy (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2013

For Neurosurgery: "Other than some short-term memory issues, I've had no complaints with this medicine other than when my Dr. adjusts my dose to where he thinks it should be and not what works for me. I'm currently on 400mg daily, 200mg in the morning & 200mg at dinner time. I'm also maxed on my Keppra so this is 2 supplement the additional help needed 2 control seizures after a brain cancer surgery. I am though drowsy a lot but when I get to the suggested range between 10-20 measurement I have seizures all to often, I'll stick with the drowsiness!"

2xSurvivor09 August 3, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I was on Dilantin (300 mg per day) over 20 years of my Air Force career with no side effects and no seizures. I was unknowingly switched to a generic brand and immediately began having seizures. Attempts to use compensate with Trileptal, Keppra, Vimpat, etc. did not completely remove my seizures like Dilantin. My neurologist is transiting me back to brand name Dilantin so my insurance will cover the cost."

LA Breeze June 18, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 8 years old, I was put on Dilantin. When I was 65, my neurologist changed my meds 3 or 4 times and I am now on Keppra twice a day with phenobarbatol at night. I haven't had a problem in 6 years, but I developed neuropathy which is a real pain. It makes me have balance problems."

Rogr April 18, 2013

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "The first 3-4 days made me a bit groggy immediately after taking it, I couldn't drive. Within a week, I adjusted quickly."

Chelle021012 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2012

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "I have been on dilantion and phenobarbitone both taken at night. I haven't had any gramdmals in two years. I've notice some type of rash on my side that doesn't seem to ever go away and feel a lot more stress and some weight gain but with the two mixed together it works great. I sleep well and have a lot of energy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2012

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: "I am on 300 mgs of Dilantin one day and 400 mg the next day. Unfortunately, the day I take 400 mg I do not get the full sound sleep at night. What are the experiences of others?"

SANJAYSWARUP (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2012

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "It made me very sick. It caused a reaction of large hives and made me throw up."

Lizardoli (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2012

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: "I have been taking Dilantin since late 1991. Started off at 300mg nightly and was increased over time to 400mg when fits became more severe anf frequent. While pregnant with my 3rd child in 2007, dose was increased to 500mg nightly. This dose was never dropped back after pregnancy ended. In June 2011, I underwent brain surgery to have the scarring causing my fits removed. So far, it has been successful. At 22, I had 2 lumps removed from my left breast, which thankfully turned out to be non-cancerous. But after finding a very noticeable lump in my left breast this year, I had a mammogram. The nurse found 22 lumps in total in both breasts! My GP is not concerned and tells me they are just little oil sacks, but lump is not shrinking."

deb_kurikka January 5, 2012

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: "I am a 26 year old female who has neuropathy throughout her entire body (happened following surgery likely due to anesthesia, awful!). I have bad reactions to seizure medicines, this one being the worst- along with Trileptal. This made me a complete lunatic. I was anti social, scared to be around anyone but my mother, had a migraine for 3 days while taking, was angry- an absolute monster. If you are a female and younger in age, I would suggest trying this medication with a good support system (mother or significant other) who can be with you at all times just in case you react like I did."

Michelle, 26 female October 26, 2011