User Reviews for Phenytoin

Also known as: Dilantin, Phenytek, Phenytoin Sodium, Phenytoin Sodium, Extended Release, Phenytoin Sodium, Prompt

Learn more about Phenytoin.

Neurosurgery 2 reviews 5 medications

Status Epilepticus 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Phenytoin reviews 62 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Phenytoin

Review by oneluvforlif:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: I have been on Dilantin for 20 yrs it has helped me from having seizure when I remembered to take it but the past 5 years I have taken it everyday like I'm suppose to I take 300mg everyday in the morning at the same time. There has been one time that I had a seizure while taking my medicine everyday it happen at night and I only know this because I woke my wife up in the middle of it . I do have problems remembering things that happened not even five minutes ago but its not all the time. I have the swollen gums and problems talking (Saying the wrong word at the end of a sentence). I have experienced dizzy spells but only if I took too much (Taking my meds and forgetting about taken it) Better safe than sorry.

July 10, 2014 12:51 PM

Review by DTUM (taken for 10 years or more):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: I found out that I had a cyst on my brain after having a seizure during football practice in college. Funny thing is that I had been playing football since I had been in the sixth grade and never new anything. Before any CT scan or MRI was performed, it was thought that the seizure was a result from contact while playing. After test were conducted, apparently the cyst was a result of spinal meningitis from my childhood. I'm not a doctor nor do I understanding everything but never the less, I was placed on Dilantin. It took about six months to regulate my dosage of 500 mg per day. I have now been on Dilantin for 28 years and have never had a seizure while taking my meds correctly. Football was over but, I live great life with Dilantin.

May 18, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by wear:

For Epilepsy: I have taken phenytoin for nearly 3 years . I am now on 500mg which does concern me even though it controls my seizures really well. So far I have swollen gums and some memory and motivation problem, although I am 58 so that might account for that.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by docker:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Neurosurgery: I've been taking phenytoin for the past 8 months now as I had a bleed on the brain that caused me to fit. I've noticed that it's stopped me from having a seizure since the day I fitted. But ever since I've been feeling weak can't remember things from day to day and can't remember what I done like 10mins ago, I'm taking 300mg every night and I feel spaced out every day and can't be bothered doing anything I'm only 22.

March 24, 2014 8:45 AM

Review by Iano (taken for 10 years or more):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: I had my first grand-mal seizure out of the blue at 26yrs of age 39 years ago! Dilantin has kept me free from seizures when I have remembered to take the medication. Over the years I have had several other seizures but only due to neglecting to take the tablets. I am on 330mg per day (130mg in the morning and 300mg in the evening). I am very thankful to God for Dilantin! I do have a real tendency to be always tired and swollen gums, but otherwise no other side-effects.

March 19, 2014 8:35 AM

Review by kimowasabi1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Seizures: I am 53 and have been taking 500 mg of Dilantin for over 7 years. I have had over 10 grand-mal seizures prior to taking Dilantin. I have not had any seizures since I go every 6 months to check Dilantin levels all good. Don't know what I would do without it. I can feel a little spacey if I don't take it on time I take all at once in the morning.

February 23, 2014 10:04 PM

Review by FRED/:

For Epilepsy: I have taking dilantin since I was 13 years old, now I am 66 years old. I take 360mg at night, I haven't had a seizure (grand mal) for 33 years now, I get headaches sometimes (MIGRAINE), I sleep good, I am an active type person, I swim, ride a bike, go to the gym 3 times a week.

December 29, 2013 1:26 AM

Review by Arabella123:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: I have been taking Dilantin for about two weeks and so far no problems, hopefully I won't have any.

September 25, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by coco 37:

For Epilepsy: I am 37 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy 5 weeks ago. I was put on the phenytoin capsules and take 300 mg at bedtime (which I take faithfully). Lately I've noticed my energy level has increased and I haven't had a seizure in 8 days, but I notice I wake up with a headache mostly to the back of my head. I also have been having so really weird dreams. It is 3 in the morning here and of course I awoke with a headache and a slightly stiffer neck.

September 13, 2013 4:45 AM

Review by Catalytic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: I've been on Dilantin a short while. First month was fine. 5th week I started getting low grade fevers, nausea, pinprick rashes, slightly swollen gums. 6th week my gums were very swollen, so much that it hurts to eat and talk. No sex drive for who knows how long, acne like I've never had before, vasodilation to the point of my entire body being red and feeling extremely hot - 98 degrees temperature, compared to a normal 80 - 85. I haven't had any seizures, but I'm miserable, so I'm titrating down and will try something else.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by wiy (taken for 10 years or more):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: It does do a good job, but I also take Depakote( 4,000mg) with Dilantin(500mg) and I still have seizures. The less active I am, the fewer seizures (grand mal).

September 2, 2013 1:47 AM

Review by 2xSurvivor09:

For Neurosurgery: Other than some short-term memory issues, I've had no complaints with this medicine other than when my Dr. adjusts my dose to where he thinks it should be and not what works for me. I'm currently on 400mg daily, 200mg in the morning & 200mg at dinner time. I'm also maxed on my Keppra so this is 2 supplement the additional help needed 2 control seizures after a brain cancer surgery. I am though drowsy a lot but when I get to the suggested range between 10-20 measurement I have seizures all to often, I'll stick with the drowsiness!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by LA Breeze:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: I was on Dilantin (300 mg per day) over 20 years of my Air Force career with no side effects and no seizures. I was unknowingly switched to a generic brand and immediately began having seizures. Attempts to use compensate with Trileptal, Keppra, Vimpat, etc. did not completely remove my seizures like Dilantin. My neurologist is transiting me back to brand name Dilantin so my insurance will cover the cost.

June 18, 2013 7:17 PM

Review by Rogr:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 8 years old, I was put on Dilantin. When I was 65, my neurologist changed my meds 3 or 4 times and I am now on Keppra twice a day with phenobarbatol at night. I haven't had a problem in 6 years, but I developed neuropathy which is a real pain. It makes me have balance problems.

April 18, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by Chelle021012 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: The first 3-4 days made me a bit groggy immediately after taking it, I couldn't drive. Within a week, I adjusted quickly.

December 7, 2012 12:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: I have been on dilantion and phenobarbitone both taken at night. I haven't had any gramdmals in two years. I've notice some type of rash on my side that doesn't seem to ever go away and feel a lot more stress and some weight gain but with the two mixed together it works great. I sleep well and have a lot of energy.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2012 11:58 PM

Review by SANJAYSWARUP (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: I am on 300 mgs of Dilantin one day and 400 mg the next day. Unfortunately, the day I take 400 mg I do not get the full sound sleep at night. What are the experiences of others?

July 9, 2012 1:15 PM

Review by Lizardoli (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: It made me very sick. It caused a reaction of large hives and made me throw up.

July 6, 2012 6:23 PM

Review by deb_kurikka:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: I have been taking Dilantin since late 1991. Started off at 300mg nightly and was increased over time to 400mg when fits became more severe anf frequent. While pregnant with my 3rd child in 2007, dose was increased to 500mg nightly. This dose was never dropped back after pregnancy ended. In June 2011, I underwent brain surgery to have the scarring causing my fits removed. So far, it has been successful. At 22, I had 2 lumps removed from my left breast, which thankfully turned out to be non-cancerous. But after finding a very noticeable lump in my left breast this year, I had a mammogram. The nurse found 22 lumps in total in both breasts! My GP is not concerned and tells me they are just little oil sacks, but lump is not shrinking.

January 5, 2012 7:49 AM

Review by Michelle, 26 female:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Peripheral Neuropathy: I am a 26 year old female who has neuropathy throughout her entire body (happened following surgery likely due to anesthesia, awful!). I have bad reactions to seizure medicines, this one being the worst- along with Trileptal. This made me a complete lunatic. I was anti social, scared to be around anyone but my mother, had a migraine for 3 days while taking, was angry- an absolute monster. If you are a female and younger in age, I would suggest trying this medication with a good support system (mother or significant other) who can be with you at all times just in case you react like I did.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2011 5:24 PM

Review by twitchymcgee:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Seizures: After about 8 days of being on Dilantin, I had a horrible allergic reaction. I woke up at like 4:30 with unbearably itchy hives that literally covered my whole body....face, shoulders, chest, stomach, back, buttocks & legs....even on the backs of my hands and feet, with a few spots on the palm of my hand. It sucked, needless to say. It also made me really tired all day, even though I'd take it at night. I'm now starting on KEPPRA. Hope it works.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2011 12:24 AM

Review by Kennybozzle:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Epilepsy: I have had grand mal seizures since I was 9 years old and was involved in a car accident. I have taken Dilantin for over 50 years, with good results. It has controlled my seizures pretty well until recently. I was diagnosed with COPD 2 years ago, and in that time, I have been having seizures every 3-6 months. My doctor switched me to Keppra 6 months ago, and in that time, I have had at least 1 seizure a month. I think it's time to switch back to what works.

August 29, 2011 5:13 PM

Review by CAJUNBEE:

Dilantin (phenytoin) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been on this medication for years. I do not take it on a daily basis. When pain pills do not work so good I take a Dilantin to help stop the pain. I have found if you take any of the medications for this disorder your body gets used to it and have to up the dose. I also take Ativan at night if I am not able to sleep because of pain and do not take it every night because my body will get used to it. This is the worst thing I think a person can get and have to live with because it is like getting beat in the face everyday all day long. Oh and do not have your tooth pulled thinking it will get better ... because I have pulled all mine and still have the same pain.

May 6, 2011 6:16 PM

Review by jbrich:

For Seizures: After 4 known grand mal seizures, my doctor put me on phenytoin 2 months ago. Do not have to many complaints except my head feels like something is crawling in it sometimes, forgetting things, like common names for things, peoples names and being tired. I am 48 yrs old, never would take aspirin but want to be safe for myself and others. My last seizure .... there was no tell tale sign before and I was just moments from getting into my car.

April 3, 2011 1:40 PM

Review by K. John:

For Epilepsy: I'm 24 years old and started to have seizures about 2 1/2 years ago. I had problems at first accepting that I was an epileptic and waited until i had my 5th seizure(grand mal) before I would let the doctor put me on medication. I started on 300mg of phenytoin a day and went up to 500mg a day. First it was too little and then it was too much and really hurting my liver. Now I'm on 400-500mg a day alternating, which can be a pain in the butt trying to keep track of what dose I need. But since I started alternating I haven't had a seizure. It does work!

February 10, 2011 9:32 AM