User Reviews for Opana

7.5
Summary of Opana reviews 68 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Opana

Review by white lightning:

For Pain: Within 20 minutes after I took the first pill, the pain began to subside, and was completely gone within 30 minutes.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Nobody cares.:

For Pain: I have been on Opana IR for 4 months now. I have severe migraines due to a cyst on my brain along with 2 bulging discs in my neck. It works ok but I also have stadol nose spray if the Opana doesn't help. I'm on 5mg 2x a day. I honestly need stronger but since it's migraines he won't up it. I would recommend it for small pain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by ross13:

For Pain: Too strong for me. If taking Opana 30's for the first time, I suggest starting off with smaller doses then increase gradually. Took one the other night, nausea set in and I vomited. Great loss in appetite, like on Adderall minor drowsiness.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by Jerry Garcia Band (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: Rotated me off oxy and onto this for six months. Works ok.

February 24, 2014 10:17 PM

Review by smacken (taken for 10 years or more):

For Pain: I have been on MS-Contin for 15 years. In that time, only one dose increase! I take 2x60 mg daily. Every 2-3 months, my doc changes medicine. I used to be able to get Opana, 40 mg 2x per day, and it worked great! Even better was Efalgo, 16 mg 3 x per day. 2 in the morning, one at night. Now, insurance will not pay for either. The only medicine I can tolerate is Opana, 80 2x per day, and they really don't work well. It is so frustrating that the medicine that is the hardest to tamper with, Efalgo, is the hardest to get and most expensive! If I don't switch every few months, I build up a tolerance. I suffer from degenerative disc disease in my lower back, arthritis etc.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Tii:

For Pain: I have Fibromyalgia and OsteoArthritis my Dr. recommended Opana and it has been a God send.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 9:51 AM

Review by cc ryder:

For Pain: My experience with Opana was great. It really gave me back at least 95%. After 3 Failed back surgeries on my disc low back along with both knees which my knee surgeries were helpful. I also broke my back at same time along with my neck injury which I was diagnosed with a extreme strain of my neck. Which my doctor gave me a 50% chance of success so I decided not to have and live with the pain. Although when Purdue pharmaceuticals decided to completely change the formula when making the 40mg Opana my life changed for the worst. I haven't been the same since. Believe me because I have tried every medicine on the market since 1993.

April 21, 2013 2:53 AM

Review by deeseelangovich (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: Crushed and bulged discs in cervical region, but I refuse to have spinal fusion due to mixed results and incredibly invasive surgery. Was on 3-30 mg Oxycontins with 4 x 10 mgs oxycodone. I can't take anything with NSAID's in it because I had Hepatitis C, which is gone after 11 months of interferon and another medicine. The oxy combo was working fine until suddenly it became impossible to get the scripts filled. Pain management doctor switched me to 2-30mg ER's a day and three Opana 10 mg IR's a day and I have no side effects, works great.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2013 12:23 AM

Review by Your Details:

For Pain: Been taking Opana for about 4 years now. It's the best medicine I have ever taken. I folded up my neck in an ATV accident. Have a failed 4 level fusion with steel plate and 4 bolts 1/4", 3 discs removed. Also have 5 deteriorated disc, and two more spinal surgeries since first one. I have had to increase my dose to a 40mg every 12 hours or so, and up to 6 IR 10mg each day. Since the pink 10 IRs have been off the market, the white generic 10 IRs are not the same. Take this on an empty stomach for best results. And to the one patient in a previous comment who was trying to get his nerve up to ask the doc to reduce his dosage, I would say it was really in his own hands. Reduce it yourself if you really think you don't need it.

January 13, 2013 2:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Pain: I have cervical stenosis, bulging discs, and neuro issues resulting from them, I have been on Fentanyl patches, Oxycodone, and huge doses of Morphone ER wtih IR for break through. I thought my pain would never end and it was not only debilitating, but depressing to the point of, although not suicide, definitely not wanting to get up in the morning and wishing I could just die. When I moved and got a new Pain Management doctor, he questioned many of my old doc's decisions, but above all he changed me onto Opana 30mg ER twice daily with 30mg IR Morphine for breakthrough 3x day. I feel more alive than I have felt in at least seven years. I am awake, I am alert, and I am functional, which is more than I had come to expect. Zero side effects

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 11:54 PM

Review by TwoDimes (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I took ONE dose of 20mg of Opana ER. I became dizzy, woozy, lightheaded. I developed a POUNDING headache! I became EXTREMELY agitated and anxious. I became VERY shaky. My lower back pain INCREASED, not decreased. Seven hours after taking this one dose, I had projectile vomiting.

November 11, 2012 11:56 PM

For Pain: I have been on Opana for 2.5 years and i never felt better i take it 2x a day and oxycodone 30mgs 4x a day I am 55 years old and with my medicines I can do things like a 20 year old. The best pain medicine ever. I have been on different pain medicines for 18 years.

September 6, 2012 11:08 AM

For Pain: I have had 24/7 severe Headaches for 7 1/2 years due to a condition I have called Occipital Nueralgia. I have tried every kind of pain medicine and preventative medicine out there, NOTHING WORKED! I am on 40mg of Opana 3x/day, and it is wonderful, I can function and work and play with my kids and be out in the sun for the first time in 7 yrs, this totally keeps my pain under control. I love it. I highly suggest that any one with chronic severe pain try it. IT WORKS

February 20, 2012 3:59 PM

For Pain: I have been on various medications for years, some have been Lortab, non-narcotic pain medications, Ms-contin, Oxycontin and fentanyl patches. I was on 150 micrograms of fentanyl/48 hours before switching to Opana ER. Initially I was taking 20mg of Opana 2x/day and it was not sufficient for my pain, but I couldn't handle the side-effects of the fentanyl patches (narcolepsy) so I worked with my doctor to increase my dosage and frequency so that I now take 30mg 2x/day and 20mg 1x/day. It is expensive but I am finally able to live a near-normal life. I play with my kids, I don't miss work, and I even keep the house up (with great help from my better half). Opana ER has been great for pain relief with almost no side-effects!

February 5, 2012 5:18 PM

Review by poppabean:

For Pain: I have neck and back pain requiring fusion surgery, already had two laser procedures on them. Only thing I haven't taken is fentanyl. Started with a morphine Avinza, Dilaudid combination, to Dilaudid and oxycodone combination to straight up 8 x 30Mg roxicodones and Xanax daily. Pain relief with that was amazing and cheap. However with that being said, I asked my doctor about switching. Since I was on such strong medicines I was able to get 2 x 20Mg Opana ER daily along with 5 Opana IR. Have been on this four months now, and is the best relief I have had in five years.

January 31, 2012 2:47 AM

I use Opana ER 20mg 3x day and Opana IR 10mg as need for breakthrough pain. I can now function as a active dad with both my kids, playing baseball and softball. Life is good!

January 26, 2012 12:30 PM

Review by golfpro0071:

For Pain: I was currently taking Exalgo 12 mg 1 daily and 2 mg Dilaudid 2 daily. It started not to work so my doctor put me on Opana 40 mg 2 daily and kept my Dilaudid. So far taking Opana is great, it last long enough to take my second dose and I couldnt be happier.

January 26, 2012 11:22 AM

Review by fatpug0711:

For Pain: I was taking the 60mg OP's for a little over a year, (I was on the regular oxycodone before the change)--they were making me extremely nauseous, at times violent vomiting and dry heaving. It started with the nausea immediately and then it seemed like every 3 months I would have a bout of nausea, vomiting and dry heaving that would last for days. I was in the hospital 4 times this past year. I am taking Opana now. I have been on it almost a month and guess what?!! No more of the daily nausea and worse again. Doing well on Opana. Wish I could have gotten it sooner. My insurance would not pay for it at first, but now they do! Good Luck Everyone.

January 12, 2012 2:07 PM

For Pain: I have injured my back several times over the course of about 12 years. I have tried everything under the sun. I am currently on the 5mg ER 2 x daily and the 10mg IR 3-4 x a day for breakthrough pain. Like many people have said you have to take it on an empty stomach. This medicine works better than any other. As long as you take 2 x ER and 3-4 IR's for breakthrough per day you will have the best results. I am due for my ER's to get increased but other than that this is the best pain management I have ever had.

November 25, 2011 6:57 PM

Review by Lattana:

For Pain: If I could have afford it, I would still be on it! Since I suffer from Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (Hepatic region) my Doctor felt that this medicine would really help since it is already broken down causing a major decrease in possible liver damage from daily, major pain relief. It worked really well, but it would have been way over $200 a month.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2011 5:35 AM

Review by Livin:

For Pain: Been on Opana now for roughly 1.5 years. Stool movement is difficult and most of the time you feel bloated. With that being said, pain is not problem with current medication. 2x 20mg ER (Morning, Night) with 4 x 10mg IR for break through pain. I have L5 S1 area problems. Sweats are also difficult at times in heat.

July 12, 2011 6:59 PM

Review by backedup:

For Pain: Just started taking 5 mg twice a day. Doesn't seem to last as long as the doctor said it would. Also the 5mg doesn't take the pain away. It does ease it a little. So on my next visit I will tell the doctor her calculation was off. Think I would do better on 20mg twice daily. Also if she could give me something else to advance my stool and make it softer. That pain is worse than the knee pain.

June 16, 2011 4:32 PM

For Pain: I have been on a lot of narcotics since my injury and this one seems to be one of the best.

February 22, 2011 10:18 AM

Review by Guy Hardrock:

For Pain: Good long-term analgesia with the extended release formula, which seems to work for over 8 hours, though I don't think it has the full 12-hour benefit as advertised. Less 'fuzziness' than oxycodone (or even hydrocodone), which is a positive for me. I suppose it's not so good for "recreational" users - the new ER formula is supposed to be highly abuse-proof - but for those is REAL chronic pain, Opana-ER works well, similar to Oxycontin, and is very easy to use - one dose in the morning, another in the evening.

January 20, 2011 9:56 AM

For Pain: I have to say, the IR's work much better than the ER's for me. I take 6 - 10mgs per day. I used to be on many other things for pain such as OC 80's and MS 100's but the roller coaster leveled right out as soon as I started the Opana and the pain leveled also. Everyone is different and everyone's pain is different so suggesting a certain pill is hard for me to do. Hope if you are given these, best of luck with your pain as they worked for me.

January 15, 2011 7:20 PM