User Reviews for Opana ER

Learn more about Opana ER.

Pain 59 reviews 910 medications

8.4
Summary of Opana ER reviews 59 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Opana ER

Review by katped:

For Pain: I've been on pain meds for 30 years. Changed to Opana ER 20 x 2. This made a large difference but still had breakthrough pain so DR added Opana IR 10mg. These I break up into thirds, halves, or quarters as needed. I couldn't use Norco because of breathing problems. This dosage isn't perfect but I'm no longer whining every time I get in or out of the car. 2 major surgeries coming over the summer. I hope Opana continues to work.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 7:49 AM

Review by CnKaCkW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I started out with 10mg, but the side effects were too much! My doc then put me on 5mg, which did nothing at all, then bumped me to 7.5. I am starting back on the 10mg this week because 7.5mg is alright but not really working as well as the 10mg did. Now, although the side effects were horrible, the pain relief was great! I am having insurance issues, so unfortunately for the next couple days, until I can go pick it up, I have to use just my Oxycodone 2xdaily as needed for break through pain, and my muscle relaxant. I realized just in one day how much the 7.5 worked more than I realized when my shoulder and neck started throbbing. It is obvious that although it was not as good as the 10's were for pain relief, it worked more than I realized!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by naomi rc (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: I have been on Opana ER for approximately 4 years. I have multiple conditions with the bones in my spine and both psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis. Opana does not seem to help much with general arthritis pain and not at all the psoriatic arthritis, but it has been the most helpful medication for my back pain. unfortunately on Medicare I reached gap and at that time medication becomes way too expensive. I cannot endure this cost while I am on Medicare and now I have to switch medications. I go from paying $40 a month to $250. On Medicare you cannot use the discount cards for the program that Opana has. I am feeling very upset about this as the medication has been the most helpful to me without side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 12:47 PM

Review by Sizzlean:

For Pain: I had severe migraines up to 24 a month. My neurologist tried everything...including Botox to NO AVAIL. Next I developed neuropathic pain in my feet that traveled into my calves-extremely severe 99 per cent of my day! Between these two conditions I was at my wits end. Then my primary suggested Opana. The lesser dosages did nothing for me, when I reached Opana 40, MY life became more bearable. Hooray for Opana!

March 22, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by Disabled 38 yr old (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I came to this site to see if I was only person who had some minor issues with this medication. I started Opana ER 10mg 4 days ago. I was to start it 9 days ago but my insurance initially wasn't going to cover the cost. My doctor filled out some forms and I am preapproved for a year. I find that the medicine is great for my pain but it does not last 12 hours, I have found that at 8 to 9 hours later I need another one. If prescribed 3's daily it would be a perfect medication and who knows maybe I wouldn't need my breakthrough medicine.

January 22, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I think Opana ER is a GREAT pain medication. On a 1-10 pain scale, I went from a 6 with the MS-Contin to a 3 with the Opana. I get more done around the house (I can prep, cook, and clean, as I could only do 1 of those things continuously with the MS-Contin) so it does its job in that respect, but it has never lasted 12 hours. It seems to wear off in 8 hours on the dot. And when it wears off, you don't just hurt, you feel like total crap. Usually you don't feel like that as soon as a pain medication wears off but with this, you do. If I get my dosage raised to 3 instead of 2 a day so I don't have to go through the yucky stage, I can't help but wonder how I'm going to feel when I come off as I have only been on it for a month.

January 5, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by Warreta (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have gotten good results with Opana ER with hardly any side effects.

September 15, 2013 9:02 PM

Review by kims46342:

For Pain: I have tried many different medications for my back, I have deteriorating arthritis in my lower back along with curvature of the spine. I am currently on Opana ER 10 mg twice a day, and Norco 4 times a day for break through pain. When I get up in the morning I can hardly move, I take the Opana and within half an hour I can move better. I still have pain but not as intense as it was. It has helped a lot. I would not be able to afford this medicine without the coupon.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by JSTFNOFF:

For Pain: I was hurt on the job back in 2006.Had a disc removed and fusion of L4 and L5 in my lower back.I have suffered for years with chronic back and leg pain because of this injury.I was on 80 mg's of Percocet a day for 2 years and was taken off of it,cold turkey as they say,by my Dr. After 5 days of terrible withdrawl's,my Dr. put me on OPANA ER 10 mg tab's,twice a day.They helped me with my withdrawl symptoms but didn't do much for my pain. My Dr. agreed to up my dosage to 30 mg's,twice per day. WOW!!!! What a difference these 30 mg pills make.Pain is about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I can finally sleep again. It is known that only 10 percent of your dose is actually absorbed by the body and the rest is eliminated when taken orally.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2013 1:50 AM

Review by MarleysMama:

For Pain: I just started this medication a few days ago and I am on 10 mg twice per day..I would have to say it works very well on my neck and back pain and my nauseating migraines which all result from a car accident and I'm only 23 years old. I luckily have a very nice understanding doctor and know what I'm going through and he has never turned me down when I've needed an increase or change in meds.

February 7, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by bnagoh (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: I suffer from neck and back issues with my spine and I have tried many different pain medications and procedures but the one where I got the most relief is Opana. Sometimes the pain is so bad that Opana or my breakthrough medication do not control it. Maybe 6 to 10 times a week.

January 25, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by sassy388 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: Better then Lortab 10/500 been taking for 3 years 4 times a day.

January 6, 2013 4:02 PM

Review by ironxoman:

For Pain: I have suffered for over 30 years. Was going to the VA and then my family DR gave me this, it was a life change and then the medicine went off for a short time I thought it would never come back. When it did my Dr slowly moved my medicine up. I am getting better, I have a lot of pain, was hurt in the army.

June 13, 2012 5:14 PM

Review by JP, ER RN (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: My doctor switched me from Oxycontin to Opana ER 40mg three times a daay when it first came out. I have had wonderful results with little to no decrease in mental ability which is important since I work as an ER RN. Since the outcome of the new crush proof formulation, though, I feel that the strength and effectiveness has decreased. I am glad they are making the formula abuse proof, but I don't think the patients who don't abuse the medication should suffer. I now have to take double the amount of pills as before!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2012 4:22 PM

For Pain: When I first started taking Opana original formula I was overjoyed. Finally a medication that relieved my pain. Then the new formula came out and I literally cried. Why did you change a medication that worked so well? I realize that you're trying to make your medication abuse proof, but you did so at the expense of the legitimate Opana users who take the medication as prescribed. The new formula gives me no where near the relief of the old formula and it also takes twice as long to work.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2012 4:25 PM

Review by CCI:

For Pain: I was in an accident. Doctors words...I had to learn how too do everything again walk, talk, stand, brush teeth etc. Oxycodone and Oxycontin neather worked much. I was switched to Opana ER. What a difference this made. Pain was reduced by 50% more than the Oxycontin and almost no mental decrease. This was my biggest issue and now solved with Opana ER. Thank you Opana ER.

March 17, 2012 6:41 AM

Review by smithsa1:

For Pain: This Medicine works great when it comes to pain .

January 11, 2012 6:22 PM

Review by willsworld:

For Pain: Best ever for getting rid of pain.

January 4, 2012 3:56 AM

For Pain: I've got scoliosis and disc herniation. I was taking Vicoprofen 7.5/200 four times a day. It worked great. My Dr refused to write for it anymore and insisted I take Opana ER 10mg 2X daily. I went from a $15 co-pay to a $180 co-pay. The medicine seems to do OK with the pain...but the constipation!! Also, I feel very sad and somber on it.

December 24, 2011 9:25 AM

Review by the spy:

For Pain: After failed back fusion surgery L4 L5 S1 nothing would touch the pain until Opana ER. I was taking 20 mg three times daily and have cut back to 5 mg 3 times daily with significant pain increase because I thought I was losing my mind. I seem to have built up a tolerance and either need to increase again dramatically or find something else. Have heard that you can easily build tolerance to Opana. I am your proof.

December 9, 2011 7:14 PM

For Pain: Ditto what jrpem stated above. Side effects proved to much TOO much for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2011 5:39 PM

Review by cosmicdreamer:

For Pain: I was prescribed OxyContin 30 mg 4 X daily and eventually it didn't work so well as when I first started taking it. I took my left over OxyContin pills to my physician who then prescribed me 40 mg Opana ER (yellow octagonal shape). It works so much better than OxyContin and the pain relief lasts longer. There is no "high" associated with Opana ER. I have several painful medical conditions after being injured at work and some years later was involved in a near fatal car wreck. Opana ER is a wonderful medication. The only drawback is that is does take about an hour to start working well. The pain relief lasts about 8 hours. I highly recommend speaking to your physician about Opana ER if continuous pain relief is needed.

September 17, 2011 8:14 AM

For Pain: I take Opana ER 20mg twice a day along with Oxycodone 30mg 3 times a day for break through pain, I think it works wonderful. I have severe lower back pain all day and all night. If I don't have the Opana along with the Oxycodone then it just doesn't work well at all. I have tried many other medicine and this is the one that works for sure.

September 2, 2011 11:45 AM

Review by J Squared:

For Pain: I have had two lower back surgeries (L4-L5) and (L5-S1) which has left me with severe pain in both feet and severe sciatica in the left leg radiating down to my left foot. I have tried Oxycontin and oxycodone with limited success. Now I take Opana ER 20 mg twice daily with about level 1 to 2 pain instead of the constant level 4 to 5 pain reaching level 7-8 when the dose wore off.

July 11, 2011 6:13 PM

Review by Back pain and Fibro suffer:

For Pain: I have taken many things for my pain. I have had a level 3 spinal fusion and need more back surgery. My doctor gave me Opana and kept me on my oxycodone for break through pain. What a huge relief and not only that but the Opana did not give me that high feeling and I'm able to get around like a human again. I have to say the Opana gave me at least 8 hrs of relief and I was able to sleep and get up the next morning and move, where as before I woke up so stiff, sore and could hardly move.

March 23, 2011 10:54 PM