User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"After many years of mesh implants, gyroscopes, and prescriptions, I had the big injection. So far I am just upset. I have finally been able to stop the oral medications but not stopping wearing several pads per day and now the catheterization at night before bed. My doctor says it will get better when some of the effects wear off. Whether or not I will do thus again remains optional. My insurance has agreed to pay for the procedure so I still hold high hopes for a good outcome!!"

Camelady July 25, 2015

"40 year old female with history of suffering with overactive bladder both urgency and frequency since 2009. I was having 2-3 leaks a day and at one point had to start wearing adult diapers.I tried all the conservative treatments-therapy, every prescription medication, and interstim in 2013. All of these methods failed for me. In July of 2014 I received my first dose of Botox, it helped a little with frequency not so much urgency. I just received my second dose of Botox on July 8,2015. This time my doctor increased my dose. As of July 13th I was no longer wearing pads or liners. I am one happy girl :) 6 long years of hope and finally something has worked for me. My frequency has decreased and there is NO sense of urgency and NO LEAKS. YAY!!!"

Laur1975 July 20, 2015

"I've had an overactive bladder since I can remember as a child and came to think of it as "normal". Started taking Ditropan 25+ years ago but it along with other meds stopped working after a while. My urologist suggested Botox injections and it has been life changing! I sleep all night without having to get up to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times like before Botox and can drink a cup of coffee without having to go at least 3 times an hour. I've had injections once a year for the last three years and couldn't be happier with the results. My suggestion is run don't walk to your doctor and have the injections! The results are as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced."

HappyBladder July 16, 2015

"I have had botox for the last 5 years for this condition and I have to say I have never looked back! Each time I have a longer gap between procedures, 3 so far, and it seems to improve every time. I had vesicare before this and I had a really bad reaction to it so botox was my offered option. I would never hesitate to recommend botox!"

Alio (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2015

"My father 84 years old received botox treatment in April, still today he can not empty the bladder by himself and continue using catheters. This part was not disclosed when presenting the treatment option. Will he be able to empty the bladder by himself when botox effect is gone?"

Johny10 June 13, 2015

"I've had overactive bladder for about 6 years and tried many medications. Some of them helped a little for a few months, then stopped helping. Three weeks ago I had the surgery where botox is injected into the bladder. It didn't help me at all. I'm back to taking 30mg of Ditropan daily which helps a little, but not much. Am going to visit the specialist and hopefully there's a solution."

BMGBMG May 27, 2015

"My brother had Botox done last year for Bladder problems with MS. It has been the worst year since been diagnosed 20 years ago. He wasn't told he would need to use a catheter and he has severe vision problems. Has had constant UTI's terrible pain from using catheters and developed hemarrhoids after having Botox done. Now Botox worn off and still needs catheters and is in pain. He has been told he'll need to have more Botox so he won't feel the pain. Complete disaster and very costly trips to specialists."

GHC April 6, 2015

"I was not sure about botox in the bladder but thank heaven I tried it. I had given up going out , walking, sleeping and even visiting people. I am about to have my third treatment. I still do my exercises regularely and find that it now lasts me well over a year. I had given, up until my specialist recommended it for me. I sure am happy I listed to him. I had been told that there was nothing else that could be done by two other specialist. For anyone out there that is not sure please try it. It only takes 10 minutes in the office and then I am ready to go. You do not feel a thing. I am 73 yearsold."

Greatful (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2015

"I am a 33 yo mom of 2. Very busy, very active. All the Overactive Bladder meds didn't really help and dry mouth was awful. I backed out of interstim twice, and when I heard about this option I was scared but had to try it, interstim was the only other choice. I am 7 days post botox 1st time. It has changed my life. I no longer have to void 3-4x before leaving my house to go somewhere. After having cystoscopies done, I was nervous. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The bladder where the injections were was painful voiding for 2 days, but it was worth it. No more voiding 3x per hour. If & when it wears off, I'd do it again. I have headaches off and on, may or may not be related but it was a life changer for me."

RAV1981 September 17, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"As of today I have received Botox for the forth time. I have explored over the years many, many options for treating my OAB (over active bladder) & IC (Intercystial Cystitis) including oral meds, physical therapy, a bladder sling (that was a good decision) & finally having the Interstem device implanted (that only produce a little improvement). I was my doctors first patient to receive the treatment. I am so grateful for this option. Before Botox I could not go far from home. Walking my dogs meant I had to wear a pad the size of a brick. By the time I made it home it would be soaked. At the age of 45I was depressed with my condition & options. Next week I am having my doctor remove my Interstim device. Having Botox is all I need."

Ranger520 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in a low dose Botox trial (300 vs 800) at a military medical facility. Detrol & Ditropan didn't work. I had frequent urgency, cramping caused by having to hold my urine, and many accidents. I was going to the loo all the time, having to leave meetings and bouncing around at my desk trying to hold my urine for any length (2 minutes) of time. I received botox which by tiny injections at the entrance of my bladder. A little uncomfortable. The next day I had no unusual urge to go, no cramps, no more bouncing, no running to the loo and many Depends a day. I was a totally normal without fear of accidents or ammonia smell for 8 months. It was fabulous - I was a real person again."

Pissoire (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2012

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After trying Vesicare and Enablex, neither of which offered much relief; with the side effect of dry mouth making it difficult to do my job which involves many daily consultations. I felt as though they caused my speech to be noticeably affected in a negative way. Botox has truly changed my life. The procedure itself was unpleasant but the results that I experienced within 7 days have given me (and my frustrated family) normalcy. If all else has failed, I highly recommend it. My extended medical plan denied my claim for reimbursement as Botox is not yet approved by Health Canada for this indication. I have an appeal filed."

Anonymous October 14, 2011

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Overactive Bladder