User Reviews for Botox

Learn more about Botox.

Botox Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Overactive Bladder.

Reviews for Botox to treat Overactive Bladder

"Had Botox age 68 in July 2015 after 2 days had to return to doctor and have Foley cath put in. Doctor said leave cath in for a week return to office. Went back still retaining so they put in another Foley cath. Could do nothing with the bag strapped to my leg. Went another 10 days. Same thing. Retaining up to 400. Nurse taught me how to self cath. Using 4 caths per day and only going a little on my own. Finally after 6 months at check up only retaining about 20. So now I don't have to cath any more. I was a perfect for the Botox but it did not work on me. So now back on medication and dealing with OAB and accidents. This treatment is not for everybody. The side affects are awful."

jj1177 May 16, 2016

"I think it depends on if you really suffer with this condition or you just wee alot as to wether you will appreciate it. I'm 30 years old and for the last 5 years I've had to wear adult nappys to bed (which more often than not, leak) this is humiliating. I already suffer with borderline personality disorder, depression, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Stomach ulser and now this! It was making my life hell. I had my first injection last year which did decrease the frequency I had to wee and stopped the leaking bit unfortunately didn't stop having to wear adult nappys at night, BUT this changed my life!! I will be having my 2nd injection on the 9th May, higher dose this time, if you don't appreciate what this does you didn't suffer beforehand."

Sophhee30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

"I got my second round of Botox yesterday. First one was in 2014. I think that depending on your doctor's experience and acknowledge with this medication is how you will get better. If your doctor put to much medication will not be good for you. Thanks to my doctor I feel better."

Guaguin (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2016

"I just had another round of Botox injections three days ago. While I did get a uti from the procedure and it was a bit difficult to void the first two days I am 100% now. I even went to work the following day. I also had this procedure in March of 2015. That one didn't go so well in the beginning but I think it was because I was in a INTERSTITAL CYSTITIS flare. If you have it I feel your pain. After my flare calmed down I noticed the Botox actually worked really well. This time I made sure I was not in a flare before Botox and all is good. This is a last line of treatment for me and at just 31yrs old I'm so glad I have found it. It is not a lifelong fix it will most likely require treatment every three months to a year everyone is different"

Final frontier (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

"I tried everything, including every med available, kegel exercises, diet modification to eliminate acids, accupuncture. Nothing helped. Finally asked for testing to determine what to be treated and it was spasms completely! TVT was perfect, mesh intact. Was leary of Botox but desperate to get rid of pads and soaking all the time! Doctor said would take 3 weeks; I was backed to normal within 3 days! No pads, no frequency, no urges, no complications at all with bladder emptying. I feel like the poster lady for it! Wonderful!! And I'm 70 years old! It's a miracle. Yes, was a bit uncomfortable getting it but took maybe 5-10 minutes and worth it! Be sure your urologist is board certified, does tons of the procedure consistently and regularly!"

Fancy pants (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

"I have tried numerous medications and everything has failed. I got Botox January of 2016 and it wore off 3 months later. My bladder has reverted back to how severe it was. I do not recommend Botox to anyone."

CAB77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This has been a nightmare. When the botox started working, I was barely able to urinate at all and my partner had to rush me to hospital emergency to get a catheter put in. My bladder was completely paralyzed from the botox. This treatment is really brutal! I had to then self catheterize 3 times per day for about 2 months until the botox wore off enough that I could urinate, and I've had multiple UTIs since then, which is another side effect of this treatment. If a doctor offers you this treatment, run a mile! Its not worth the pain and suffering that you will go through. Now, after 7 months, the botox has mostly worn off but its still difficult to empty the last bit out of my bladder because the bladder muscle is still partially paralyzed"

WeakBladderGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

"I had this treatment in January 2015 and it worked for me almost immediately. I will say that I was already doing catheters and I still do them twice a day if I didn't I would probably never pass urine so something to think about. I wish that I had this years ago when I was scared to leave the house or was always trying to think of where I could get to a public toilet. I have secondary Multiple Sclerosis and would like to ask if anyone has had problems with their legs since this procedure? I am falling at least once a day and this had started since the Botox."

blueridgelover February 7, 2016

"I am not having complete bladder emptying based on ins and outs of liquid. Is that a concern?"

Corny January 24, 2016

"After several years of suffering overactive bladder, using drugs that dry your mouth horribly, regularly getting soaked through, tried Botox injections last June. Uncomfortable procedure, but bearable. A week later I couldn't void at all, so started with catheters 5 times a day. Not ideal but quite ok, so much better than before. Quality of life so improved. Over 6 months on, can void 200-300 ml naturally most times, but still need 5 catheters a day for the rest. Will try it again. Much better than other treatments."

Gretti January 13, 2016

"I have read all the posts and they all sound very similar. I will tell you I had the problem since I was a small child but it was chalked up as being a bed wetter. No treatment. Got married and symptoms not only worsened with intercourse but was treated as bladder infections instead of sever IC (was never diagnosed until many many years later). After having three children the spasms were so intense with the severe pain of IC I thought I would loose my mind. Pads were my best friend for the most part but would not be able to control the urine with the intense spasms so had a lot of wetting accidents even after taking every med created to treat the spasms to no avail. The vicious cycle became quite depressing. Always making sure I knew where.."

Leakyspazz December 30, 2015

"Had the Botox for overactive bladder November 21, 2015. Two days ago had the follow up. Everything went well at the operation, I could void before going home, little bleeding which soon stopped. Having some trouble emptying showing over 200 after voiding. I'm going to work on voiding completely. I do not wake up the 6 to 8 times at night now to use the restroom, I may wake once now. When going anywhere, now I'm not tied to the need to use the restroom every half hour like before. My urgency, frequency are more like normal now. Taking this time to work real hard on keegle's see in six months if that helps at all. BTW I have secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. I would highly recommend this procedure."

Cherokee Half Breed. December 23, 2015

"I had Kenalog injected along with the Botox, the kenalog worked right away, but it took about 2 weeks until the Botox kicked in. It has about 7 months now. I had no pain for at least 6 months. The symptoms are just now starting to come back. And I should say they are coming back with a vengeance. Starting to get the sharp shooting pain in my uretha and the itching and burning in and around both my anus and vagina. I should make note though that my doctor did say the 5 ulcers now have combined into 3, and the largest one he said is on the left side, and that is the side that I have the most pain. But it was really great for 6 months not to have to worry about repeatedly having to find a restroom that's near."

dmariep (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

"Hi I just got the highest dose of Botox in my bladder 6 days ago it hasn't started working yet! Can anyone say how long till they felt better? I have severe over active bladder no meds worked and I'm so desperate. I'm 38"

Melmeldray December 19, 2015

"Had second round of Botox injections in my bladder and have had constant UTI's and pain in my lower abdominal area ever since. I do not feel well all the time. I will not do this again. Not worth it."

Meshgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015

"I had my first injections today painful but not terrible. My doc gave me Ativan 1mg po next time I'll ask for Valium 10mg po next time. I'm still having bleeding. They did not tell me to stop placix and ASA so if you take either or both ask. I'll call my doc tomorrow sat and check on that. I'm encouraged by all the good comments on this forum."

Terrimo December 12, 2015

"I was terrified to do it but couldn't stand running to the bathroom twice per hour anymore. My injections wereworst case scenario as I owed out the lidocaine. Out of 20 injections I didn't feel 10 at all. The other 10 hurt but it was fast and 48 hours later my life had changed. I highly recommend this but do research on your urologist. How many does he/she do? What's the rate of needing a straight cath post procedure? What's his/her failure rate? Find someone good and then do it of nothing else worked. Life changing!"

Tissa (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015

"I was a basket case. Had the sling (we all know how THAT went - grew in to my uterine wall and had a full hysterectomy with some still left inside), Detroit LA, Vesicare - first 5mg then 10mg then doubled up on the 10mg (THAT got my GP's attention. Referring me to Uro-gynecologists where I FINALLY had a concrete diagnosis of a spastic bladder (was always told I had a prolapsed bladder!). Botox or permanent cathater were my only 2 options. Botox it was! Besides an excruciating experience with the injections (the Dr. RINSED out the lydocaine half way through the process because she saw "debris" in my bladder and didn't re-apply), it's been 6 days since my injections and I literally feel THE BEST I've felt in years!"

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"?!!! (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

"Tried Botox yesterday changed my life today, no more frequency or urgency and no more PAIN... i was urinating every 1-2 hours and now I am back to normal ."

Lat0nia September 22, 2015

"Worst decision I ever made as I am far worse now with frequency, always feeling like I need to urinate, UTIs and pain. Can't sleep at night with going to the bathroom 8 or more times, and lack of sleep triggered my depression."

Miserable woman September 17, 2015

"I agreed to a Botox injection to treat frequent urination when all other treatments failed. Since the Botox injection I have the urge to urinate almost all the time. When I can pass small amounts of urine the pressure is often still present and urgency sometimes returns in as little as 20 minutes. Sometimes I cannot pass any urine. Even when I can pass urine, about 150 to 200 cc remains in the bladder and I have to use catheters. I have to stay close to a restroom all the time. I was told the Botox would wear off after a year but here I am about a year after the Botox injection and I'm still using catheters to empty my bladder as often as needed. There has not been any noticeable change. I'm beginning to think that my bladder functions will never return to at least as good as before the Botox injections. What a huge mistake. What a gullible victim I've been."

rqmonty (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2015

"I had a single dose of Botox in 2008 for overactive bladder. I ended up with a partly paralysed bladder and having to use catheters ever since, and it is now 2015. Lies were told to me that function would return. It did not. My system has been poisoned and I have to self-catheterise dozens of times a day. My life has been destroyed"

Alan Ross July 29, 2015

"After many years of mesh implants, gyroscopes, and prescriptions, I had the big injection. So far I am just upset. I have finally been able to stop the oral medications but not stopping wearing several pads per day and now the catheterization at night before bed. My doctor says it will get better when some of the effects wear off. Whether or not I will do thus again remains optional. My insurance has agreed to pay for the procedure so I still hold high hopes for a good outcome!!"

Camelady July 25, 2015

"40 year old female with history of suffering with overactive bladder both urgency and frequency since 2009. I was having 2-3 leaks a day and at one point had to start wearing adult diapers.I tried all the conservative treatments-therapy, every prescription medication, and interstim in 2013. All of these methods failed for me. In July of 2014 I received my first dose of Botox, it helped a little with frequency not so much urgency. I just received my second dose of Botox on July 8,2015. This time my doctor increased my dose. As of July 13th I was no longer wearing pads or liners. I am one happy girl :) 6 long years of hope and finally something has worked for me. My frequency has decreased and there is NO sense of urgency and NO LEAKS. YAY!!!"

Laur1975 July 20, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had an overactive bladder since I can remember as a child and came to think of it as "normal". Started taking Ditropan 25+ years ago but it along with other meds stopped working after a while. My urologist suggested Botox injections and it has been life changing! I sleep all night without having to get up to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times like before Botox and can drink a cup of coffee without having to go at least 3 times an hour. I've had injections once a year for the last three years and couldn't be happier with the results. My suggestion is run don't walk to your doctor and have the injections! The results are as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced."

HappyBladder July 16, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate