Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Kadian

Learn more about Kadian.

Kadian review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1832 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Kadian to treat Pain

After reading so many people say that Kadian gave them so much relief from their chronic pain I was willing to give it a try. I had been taking Oxycodone 30mg 4 X's a day and felt amazing but they are now trying to get rid of all Oxycodone and Oxycontin because it has become such an epidemic on the street. So, we had to switch to something else. She started me on Kadian 60mg 2 X's a day with Percocet 10s every 6 hrs. The Kadian does absolutely nothing for my pain so she increased it to 80mg and still no relief. I have degenerative disc disease, a bulging disc and fibromyalgia. Oxycodone was the only thing that seemed to help.

April 7, 2012 12:35 PM

Review by Gouchybear:

I've been taking Kadian 60mg 2x day for severe back, knee, hip and hand pain. I have a failed knee replacement from 10 years ago and have been taking Kadian ever since. Controlled pain mostly but also taking Norco 10/325 two pills 3x day for breakthrough. Just yesterday my pain doctor increased the Kadian to 80mg in the morning and 60mg at night. I can't imagine what my life would be like without the pain relief I get from Kadian. I tried Fentanyl patch with no relief (then I heard of the deaths caused by the patch), and tried Oxycontin and again no relief, so Kadian is for me. Only issue is it is extremely expensive.

September 8, 2011 2:04 PM

Review by Screwed spine:

I have had six spine surgeries in the past four years. All of them some type of fusion. Have been on every type of pain medicine there is. Plus all the injections and nerve burns, even some radiation treatments. Doctor had me on Embeda for several years and then it was recalled. I have been taking Kadian for six months now and it helps me get through the day. I also take oxycodone six times along with it . Kadian does not take all the pain away but along with the other drugs at least I can function. Good luck all!

July 6, 2011 2:50 PM

Review by sickerthanu:

Kadian is the only pain medicine that has worked wonders for pain and staying on the dose my physician gave me. Unfortunate that not all physicians understand pain.

December 12, 2010 8:53 PM

Chronic pain associated with ulcerative colitls and multiple bowel surgeries. Had large intestine removed, now have permanent ileostomy. I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance, and after trying out the fentanyl transdermal patch (50 mcg every 48 hrs) and taking 10-12 Percocet 10/325 a day, my pain management doctor prescribed Kadian 30 mg every 12 hrs and Percocet for my breakthrough pain. Kadian has been amazing and is helping me get back to my day-to-day life.

November 25, 2010 4:18 AM

Review by painmagnet:

I am 54 years old. Started having back problems in 1985. Have endured 2 lower back surgeries, the latter being a spinal fusion. I've been on Kadian for about 3 1/2 years. Prior to that I was on Darvocet, Oxycontin, and methodone, but had adverse reactions to all of them. When my doctor tried me on 20mg of Kadian it wasn't strong enough. But I slowly elevated to 80mg and it's been better than anything I've ever had.

October 22, 2009 12:23 AM

I was in a car wreck about 2.5 years ago, which broke the Harrington rods I had in my back for scoliosis since the age of 15. I am now 28 and feel like I am 80! I have been on Tylenol 3s & 4s, Vicodin 10mg, Oxycodone 15mg, and then Kadian finally helped me. I have been on the Kadian 30mg twice a day for about 9 or 10 months. It gave me hope, although it does take a couple weeks to start to really kick in. No high feeling, and really takes the base pain away. Soon I will have the rod taken out and that probably wont help the C2,3,4 in my neck and the L5 and S1 discs that are smashed and pushing into my spinal cord. But I can give my 5 year old a bath, walk the dog, etc. It is about $383 per month insurance covering the cost! Saved my life!

October 7, 2009 5:25 PM

Review by Scott L 58:

I was disabled in law enforcement and have had 27 orthopedic surgeries to my knees and 2 to my right arm and 4 to my right shoulder and 3 partial disc removals from L4-L5 then permanent fusion to L4-L5. I am in constant pain for over 20 yrs. Went to pain management doctor's who did everything from temporary to permanent nerve burns, injections you name it. They finally put me on Kadian and it was the best thing ever. I was finally able to get back to work, stop walking with a cane, and enjoy my life a lot more than what I had over the last 12 years of the 20 in pain. I was to the point of almost wanting to end it. The only drawback is they are no longer going to make the 100mg capsules that I take, and they are expensive.

October 5, 2009 12:40 AM

One 60mg tablet made me so sick. I threw up all day. When I wasn't throwing up, I was sleeping.

September 25, 2009 11:48 PM

Review by kasie50:

I have been on the Fentanyl Patch for 8 years and decided that I was so tired of the brain fog that I had from this drug that I asked the doctor to put me on Kadian and I don't have the brain fog anymore and Kadian keeps my pain level down enough for me to function in everyday life, I have CRPS and spondylosis in my neck with two bulging disc so no surgery for me. My only complaint is constipation.

September 20, 2009 12:43 PM

Review by jpaulyarnell:

Pain relief is fast and lasts a few hours. I've never had anything like it.

September 3, 2009 3:24 PM

Review by kramer70:

Osteoarthritis in knee (severe under knee cap only - mild to moderate elsewhere). Doctor tried everything, did not believe in "long term pain medicines" would rather do total knee replacement. Since I am only 40 I found another Doctor, he believes people who are in pain 24/7 need pain medicines 24/7. Put me on Kadian, WOW, marathon anybody??

August 30, 2009 1:09 AM

Review by 19debwelcut49:

I have recently had to stop using the Fentanyl patches, after several years of good results. But my body finally said it had had enough. So, I tried Kadian, which stopped working after a week or so. Now I am on Opana ER, which seems to do a fair job, but it feels too much like Demerol. I take 20mg twice a day, and was using 80mg twice of Kadian, 100mg of Fentanyl every 48 yours. I wish they would make Fentanyl in a pill form. I have no "woosy" feeling with it. I have 5 ruptured discs in my lower back, as well as stenosis, etc. I have tried surgeries, stimulator, etc.

July 4, 2009 1:42 PM

Review by Kristi2177:

Kadian has saved my life. I have degenerative disc disease, and was unable to do much of anything painless, I barely got off of the couch. Now I am up cleaning my house, playing with my baby and participating in life. My pain scale was a 8 on most days and with Kadian and other medication for breakthrough pain I am at a 1.5 just about everyday.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2009 3:42 PM

Review by Utahangelgirl:

It has given me back my life. I am going to school, am happy and doing things I never thought possible.

May 24, 2009 8:45 PM

Have been taking kadian for two months and it has taken my lower back pain from an 8 on pain scale to a 2. Wonderful not having to take four to six vicodin but one capsule of kadian a day.

May 12, 2009 7:17 PM

Review by Chaplain.D:

I was injured in a coal mining accident that broke my back. The pain was horrific. The doctors I was seeing first put me on Lortab 5 and that did not do a thing. After several years I was placed in the care of a physical therapist doctor, I can't remember the name. He perscribed Oxycontin and that made me so sick. He placed me on MS Contin and that made me more sick than before, but then he put me on Kadian, the same thing as MS Contin, morphine sulfate, but it was better. It took care of the pain and stopped making me sick. It is a good medication.

May 8, 2009 5:06 PM

I've been on Kadian for 8 months (car accident 3 years ago, suffering from extensive postural and disc and recently diagnosed PTVS symptoms since). I'm 22 and started feeling able to live my life again after taking Kadian (10mg 2 x day) and it seemed to make my mood better. It no longer works at current dose and doctor won't move up a dose, and doesn't believe in short-acting medicines. First 6 months it really did wonders and gave me a lot of my life back. Constipation is brutal with this medicine - I take Miralax daily with some relief. Withdrawals are horrific.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2009 11:33 AM

Review by Radgran:

I have severe back pain due to an injury that eventually resulted in three lower back surgeries. I have been on Kadian for a couple of years and I do not find it very effective at all. I am in misery most of the time.

March 11, 2009 2:58 PM

Review by aaabbcc:

I have been using Kadian for over 7 years. They started me out on several lower dose type of pain control. None of them even touched the pain. I got a spinal implant and after 2 years of adjusting it they simply gave up. Now it sits in my butt and does nothing (except set-off metal detectors). They finally started Kadian and over the years they have had to up the dose. I'm currently at 600mg - 3 X 200mg capsules once a day. It doesn't remove the pain but keeps it just below the surface so I can still get around. It's expensive and we had problems with the insurance company not wanting to pay for it but my doctor called them and somehow got them to change their policy. Thank God for that. Without this medicine all I can do is lay on my back.

March 1, 2009 3:41 PM

Review by neat:

I have been taking Kadian for a least 4 years (various strengths) now taking 100mg 3 x daily. Also take Hydrocodone and Baclofen. Chronic low back pain. It controls my pain. Wish they could do spinal transplants.

February 21, 2009 6:32 AM

Kadian is working great. Thank God! I'm able to get my life back.

January 12, 2009 8:45 PM

Review by Freedom40oz2:

Very potent. Oxycontin is similiar.

August 24, 2008 2:33 AM

Great Medication. Cancer patient. Have had a lot of pain since surgery. Tried numerous medicines. Kadian 100 mg every twelve hours eliminates the pain which was stopping me from having a normal life.

June 3, 2008 11:59 PM

Review by jccarterfsu1:

This is the best pain medicine I have taken yet...I feel no high or dizziness and especially no pain.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2008 12:24 PM