User Reviews for Lansoprazole

Also known as: Prevacid, Prevacid 24HR, Prevacid IV, Prevacid OTC, Prevacid SoluTab

Learn more about Lansoprazole.

Lansoprazole Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Lansoprazole to treat GERD

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have been taking prevacid for 20 years. I have had numerous side effects in the last 5 years, migraine headaches, major memory loss, blurred vision, heart palpitations, and most of the side effects listed I have. I have taken this medication as I have severe acid reflux and when I stop I have instant reflux, but my side effects are getting worse, so I have to try something different or I fear this medication may end my life."

Anonymous February 16, 2016

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have tried this in the past and it works so much better then others I have tried. Now when I do use it I can eat my lemons LOL"

theluvofhelp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2016

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have tried almost every acid reducer made in the last 20 years and nothing worked until I took prevacid 30mg 2x a day. I has severe stomach pain, cramps, pain under right shoulder. Thought I was having a heart attack. One 30mg pill didn't do it, I still needed antacids. Another Dr suggested 2x a day. It worked. It took about 4 weeks for my symptoms to go away. I could eat anything. Periodically I've tried to reduce the amount by slowly reducing the mg, but symptoms always came back. I've tried the generic version because my insurance co would cover it at this high dose, but symptoms came back after a few months. Generic versions are just not the same."

ReGerd (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2016

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have used Prevacid before and it does work well"

thecoxons (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2016

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "prevacid has worked great for me, the other ones do not help, so I stick to prevacid only."

kodabear3 November 27, 2015

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "After I turned 65, I started suffering from GERD. My doctor gave me free samples of Prilosec to use, but I found it to be only somewhat effective. I switched to Prevacid, and am now heartburn/GERD free! I've been taking Prevacid for about 4 years, and have suffered no side effects whatsoever."

mhorris46 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2015

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have used Prevacid before and it does work well. Years ago, a doctor told me that they wanted to put a scope down my throat. I am not really in to that idea so it has not been done. I do not use this often due to the price increase but I would recommend it."

Shereida October 12, 2015

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I was told by MD that I probably have a hiatal hernia that is causing G.E.R.D. He prescribed an RX. When I went to pharmacy & it was too expensive, pharmacist suggested I try an over-the-counter one. I read all the labels of ingredients on Prevacid, Prilosec, etc. I chose Prevacid because of it's ingredients. I have been VERY happy with it! It works well!"

treke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2015

"My daughter suffers from severe GERD and is 4 years old. Recently our insurance has her 15 mg solutabs (2x a day) running us $680/month. Specialist told us to try the OTC previcid. After 2 weeks my daughter suffered shortness of breath, bellyache and Cronic hiccups. Put her back on solutabs, symptoms gone. Tried this OTC approach twice and sure enough it is not effective for our daughters GERD compared to previcid solutabs that cost $680. My son is now on them as well so total we spend $1020 a month on previcid solutabs."

Children GERD April 17, 2015

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I took this for about 2 1/2 years in my early 30's and it work amazing! If I even missed a single dose I was up with horrible acid problems during the night. I do highly recommend it but also consider Fundoplication Surgery for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. I had this done about 10 years ago and since then my GERD is completely gone and I have no need for the Prevacid at all anymore. I eat and enjoy spicy foods never have an issue. Both Prevacid and the surgery changed my life!"

KellyKellyKelly (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2015

"At first, the medication was very effective. Reflux and pain stopped almost at once. Was on lansoprazole for 18 months, for GERD and a hiatus hernia. Small side effects (visual disturbance, vertigo, tiredness) not a problem. BUT, after 1 yr, started to have terrible diarrhea, thin yellow and of sudden onset. Almost amounted to incontinence, at any time night or day. The tiredness became unacceptable. Eventually, I decided to come off the lansoprazole, for 2 weeks suffered bad recurrence of GERD. However, persevered (with help of Gaviscon) and after 2-3 weeks am now completely normal, no reflux, no pain. Have been great now for 3 months, far more energy, Would recommend a 'break' from the medicine to see if you can manage."

Eliza-Jane February 23, 2014

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have been using this medication for about 15 years at 60mg a day, to treat severe GERD. Doctors in general are reluctant to prescribe this dosage, but in my case it was necessary. I had been using Zantac and Prilosec prior to that and graduated onto this as a last resort. It has cleared up most of the oesophogus erosion. There seems to be no side effects that I am aware of, but would be interested if anyone has noticed an uptick in kidney infections."

Muddling along (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2014

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I had suffered with acid reflux since childhood. I would wake up in the middle of the night, vomit, and go back to bed. This continued off and on for years. In my late teens and early 20's, it began to get worse. My doctor told me about Prevacid being OTC, and I should give that a try. It was getting so bad that no matter what I did or didn't do, ate or didn't eat, I would have heartburn. It used to be just certain foods triggered it. As time went on, anything and everything gave me heartburn. I started taking Prevacid, and now I take 15mg daily, and have for the last 5 years or so. Since taking it, I am almost completely heartburn free all the time. Occasionally, I have to take 30mg. But I couldn't live without it! It has changed my life!"

capecodgal (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 18, 2013

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have suffered of frequent strong heartburn for the last 30 yrs. I purchased the 14 caps treatment and amazingly got well after the first take. 100% Recommended!"

LuisGon (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

Prevacid 24HR (lansoprazole): "Not only is it a wonderful pill that takes away all symptoms within 24 hours its also just ONE pill a day, those that suffer from a severe heartburn would understand what its like to take just one pill over 20 chewables or so daily. Though my heartburn subsided post pregnancy and I no longer have a daily problem, I will definitely keep this in mind for next time around."

Marina A. (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2013

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "Took first pill yesterday, later on that day I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy, and by evening headachy. This morning I looked at this sight and saw that dizziness was one of side effects. "

henry rocks June 10, 2013

Prevacid OTC (lansoprazole): "Taken daily but still have break through GERD."

AyrishGrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2013

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have been on Prevacid for over 10 years now. Take 30 Mg a day. I have used both the prescription and the 24 hr when I run out. Both are fantastic, never had a side effect and it completely controls my acid reflux and heartburn. Stopped eating tums and can eat whatever I choose. It works like a charm for me."

Macrock (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2013

"I've been on lansoprazole for over a year and find it just isn't working (I take 30mg)."

winter_rogue (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2013

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have been taking Prevacid for 10 years now. It had worked tremendously. I have tried to go without it but my acid reflux just gets to bad. I had two endoscopes done prior to taking Prevacid for scaring in my esophagus. Prevacid has healed my esophagus. I would definetely recommend it for anyone who suffers from GERD like myself."

Anonymous March 3, 2012

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I began taking Prevacid probably 10 years ago, stopped occasionally, but found I could not go long without needing it. I never thought of anything bad coming of it, I felt wonderful, no heartburn, no need to watch what I ate anymore, no more waking up at night needing antacids. Well, a few years ago, I started having severe foot and ankle pain and weakness, and last September, I fell in the yard and severely broke my ankle, requiring ORIF surgery to put in a plate and screws. My ankle will never be the same. Gone are the 4 mile walks I used to enjoy daily, and, I have also developed some heart palpitations, higher blood pressure readings, and I feel it is all due to my long term use of Prevacid. I stopped taking it almost 2 months ago."

Anonymous November 26, 2011

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I've been taking Prevacid for over 10 years, 1 in the morning, that's it. I've had acid reflux since I was 13 years old, used to keep bottles of tums in my car, my night stand, my pocket. I suffered for years. Not anymore. I'm 53, I eat drink whatever I want, hardly ever get indigestion anymore. Sure works for me."

daveo58 November 2, 2011

"It works wonders for the heartburn, but I can't handle the side effects, I have awful diarrhea, vomiting, weight gain, headaches, nausea, stomach aches. It's not the normal side effects, but I haven't had any heartburn. I'm probably in that >1% that has bad side effects."

14andhategerd August 2, 2011

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "I have had GERD for many years and have tried everything. Prevacid works the best. I take 30 mgs a day. "

Anonymous July 13, 2011

Prevacid (lansoprazole): "This literally lets me exercise and drink coffee without acid reflux happening."

nancyrslr April 7, 2011