User Reviews for Vistaril

Learn more about Vistaril.

Allergies 1 reviews 52 medications

Pain 7 reviews 1059 medications

5.1
Summary of Vistaril reviews 109 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Vistaril

For Anxiety "I have hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, and I am also breast feeding baby #4. (I also suffer from Severe Post Partum Depression beginning late in my pregnancies.) I have been on over 50 combinations of medications. (I caution you readers to be leery of reviews by those who prior took addictive medications to Vistaril, as they may have formed a biased addiction to their previous meds.) I am currently taking Prozac and Vistaril. My best medication combination when not pregnant or breast feeding was Prozac and Doxepin. The Vistaril is helping so greatly with both my anxiety and insomnia that I am switching permanently! I can even take Vistaril if my anxiety flares, plus it is not addictive! Loving it!!!"

Sam I am. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Anxiety "This stuff is like an OTC version of Benadryl (it's an anti-histamine). It has been helping me ween off of the Klonopin I've been taking to help me sleep for the last 2 years. This stuff takes almost an hour to kick in, but when it does, it almost always kills my anxiety at times when benzos didn't. If you're gonna take it for sleep, take it at least an hour before you plan on going to bed and make sure you have 8 to 9 hours to sleep because it will knock you out. Grogginess is it's biggest negative, along with tolerance building up fast, so I try to take every other day if I can, though it's non-addictive and safe to take regularly at least far safer than a benzo."

brett84c (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

For Anxiety "This stuff is useless. I keep it around because it does wonders for my hay-fever. As to anxiety I'll stick with serax or xanax."

Rick59rcm.219 January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I have bad anxiety, did not work at all for me, been on buspar, trazadone, xanax, and klonopin. Xanax and klonopin work best."

sanni7936 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

For Anxiety "Still have anxiety, but my nose has stopped running."

cyd222 December 27, 2015

For Anxiety "For anyone taking this medication, do not take it with any kind of antidepressants or mood medication like Celexa, zoloft, tegretol, Xanax, or abilify. Definitely do not take it with ambien. It works wonders by itself, I've been on it since 2005 it helps with the anxiety symptoms I get from my PTSD. Anytime I feel disoriented or way to anxious where I'm throwing up, it usually takes about 30 to 40 minutes to work. But it's better than the feeling of thinking that you are having a heart attack, because it's just panic. Panic attacks can be managed many ways I use breathing techniques, (child breathing will not work lol) meditation, and medication. This is how I deal with that small aspect of my PTSD psychosis."

soldier man (taken for 10 years or more) December 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Vistaril because I was having high anxiety and blood pressure spikes. For the most part it works pretty well for me. If I'm having a really bad day with my anxiety and blood pressure, I take more than the recommended dose. I've had no serious side effects on it, just occasional dizziness and makes me sleepy when I take it before bed, but not so much during the day."

Cyclone78 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2015

For Sedation "I have chronic insomnia, my doctor had me on 2mg of Xanax which worked great. When I switched Drs, they wouldn't write prescriptions for Xanax. Put me on Restoril, didn't work, now I've been on 50mg Vistaril for several nights. It helps me sleep pretty well, but during the day I feel so out of it. I am so dizzy and light headed, even when I'm sitting I feel like I'm going to pass out! If this keeps up, I don't think I'll be able to continue this medication."

DixonsMama (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2015

For Anxiety "I was given vistaril. It did nothing for my anxiety. I've been taking it for about 7 months. It hasn't done a thing for for. I took 50mgs four times a day. I hate this medication. I was on klonopin which I took for 24 yrs. I went through a lot of withdrawal. Overall not a good medication."

Natalie girl November 23, 2015

For Anxiety "Did nothing for the anxiety I have. It hepled a titch with the insomnia if I took the maximum dose for the day, but even then if I couldn't sleep when it hit then good luck: would be left feeling odd ,kinda out of it, which made me feel anxious. I stopped taking it after Dr doubled the dose to no improvement."

liebchen (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

For Anxiety "This med. is a double edge sword. My Dr. prescribed VISTARIL for my anxiety. It took 3 weeks to wean off Clonopin----never stop cold turkey. By the 3rd. week I was only on Vistaril. At 4 weeks the Vistaril was working better than anything I have EVER taken for acute anxiety. I was truly amazed and happy. So why did I only give it a 5 rating ? ? ? A DRAMATIC increase in appetite and a even more DRAMATIC weight gain. 13 pounds in one month. As good as Vistaril works I am going to have to go off of it. In 15 years I have gained no weight and I have not experienced hunger like this in my life. So, I will ween off, then work like crazy to shed this weight...not looking forward to that. I am sad :("

BJBD (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

For Anxiety "Well, I started this medication at 50 mg, 4 times daily as needed. The only time I noticed that it helped or worked, was the first time I took it. All it does is sedate me extremely."

Pearson11611 September 28, 2015

For Anxiety "I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, and Alcoholism (in recovery). I've been using Vistaril at 50 mg. three times per day for about 6 months now. I find it works well in combination with with Neurontin (Gabapentin). I like that the drug is non-addictive and available as a generic with little cost. I get a stuffy nose intermittently, that I believe to be a side effect of Vistatil, but the benefit outweighs this minor side effect. I would recommend trying this drug if you suffer from anxiety. It works very well for me."

Kid Badlove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I have had high anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember...I have taken many things for it and the only relief I get from it when it is unmanageable by meditation is ativan...I was recently prescribed vistaril and after 8 days and serious side effects have stopped taking it. I have arythmias and this medication made them worse. I would not recommend this for a gone with any kind of heart issues.. .bad drug"

utterlybaffled (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2015

For Anxiety "I have terrible anxiety coupled with really bad tactile disturbances that make me feel like I just want to crawl out of my skin or slough it like a snake. My entire body, including eyes, felt like it was so dry and flakey I couldn't handle it. This med helps so much with that and now I am at least comfortable in my skin even when my anxiety is at its worst."

kirstenusprime (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2015

For Sedation "I have been dealing with insomnia on and off for over 10 years. I have always managed it with OTC meds like Unisom. Finally decided to see a doc about it after having to take 3-4 Unisom a night (I was feeling like a zombie till 10 am!). She prescribed 25 mg of Vistaril - take one at bed time. Last night was my first time using it and it took a few hours to get me to sleep. All night I had weird, vivid dreams and it was hard to tell if I was asleep or awake. I felt on the brink of deep sleep, but still awake. It's hard to describe. I am going to give it a week and see how it goes. I was a bit groggy this morning, but not like on Unisom."

DaniG (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

For Pain "I take Oxycontin 60mg 3x a day, and Roxycodone 15mg 4x a day for chronic back/neck pain. Sometimes I do too much walking, or get severe neck pain that the pain meds don't control. I add one 25mg Vistaril and it enhances my pain meds effectiveness. About 3 to 4 hours later I become EXTREMELY drowsy, and often fall asleep, not good in the middle of afternoon! I think the occasional Ativan is almost as helpful, w/o all the sedation. Good drug, only if I can afford to be asleep."

SPIKEYSmommy July 28, 2015

For Anxiety "This is great for general anxiety. Calms you down fairly quickly and makes you "zoned out", mildly sedated and definitely less anxious. Not as strong as a benzo and will not stop a panic attack, but is great for when you are feeling panicky or generally anxious. Another plus is that it is not addictive. Absolutely no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This DEFINITELY raises my resting pulse about 15 beats per minute and also raises diastolic blood pressure about 10 points even at a small dose. Even with these raises, mine is still within normal range, but just a word of caution."

J P S July 9, 2015

For Anxiety "I just started this medication yesterday. I was extremely doubtful since I've tried xanex, clonapin, and valium. However, I was at the point that I was willing to try anything. Took my first dose around 6pm and I was truly impressed. So I think it works alot better for my anxiety than any benzos ever did. For weeks I've been feeling like I was about to crawl out of my skin. Lots of medical issues, high blood pressure. I'm in telephone sales and its not ideal for those with similar medical problems. Now I feel great. Excited to go to work tomorrow. This is coming from someone who thought only benzos helped. If your doctor gives it to you, try it, it works. I take less than what others say they take and I still stand by it."

Meytal83 June 27, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "This is not a miracle worker. But it does greatly improve my GAD and social anxiety. Its does mildly sedate me. I take it every day. Usually take about 100 mg a day in divided doses."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

For Anxiety "I had anxiety that I consider inexpressible. It was as bad as it can get. I took Xanax and it amplified my depression substantially, which increased my anxiety. Seeking a long term treatment rather than an addictive short term relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg. This is a drug similar to Benadryl, but a bit stronger. It is nonaddictive, and DOES fight the anxiety without the side effects of Ativan/Xanax. This WILL NOT kill the anxiety alone. You must be on an SSRI such as Lexapro for this drug to fully combat GAD. I urge everyone to try this drug. There are no risks, and it may help you."

Maksymilian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Anxiety "I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Of the non-benzodiazepeine anti-anxiety agents, Vistaril is my first choice. Vistaril seperates itself from the others by rapidly inducing a pleasant & warm feeling. By comparison, things like Compazine and clonidine are much colder and more harsh in side effects. Although Vistaril is gentle & easy going for the first hour or so, a strong drowsiness will come on by Hour #2. But overall I'd still rank it as a side-effect-free type of medicine, when compared to other non-benzo anxiolytics."

BeyondAndB4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later"

Birdy02 March 12, 2015