User Reviews for Vistaril

Learn more about Vistaril.

Vistaril Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Vistaril to treat Anxiety

"This is great for general anxiety. Calms you down fairly quickly and makes you "zoned out", mildly sedated and definitely less anxious. Not as strong as a benzo and will not stop a panic attack, but is great for when you are feeling panicky or generally anxious. Another plus is that it is not addictive. Absolutely no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This DEFINITELY raises my resting pulse about 15 beats per minute and also raises diastolic blood pressure about 10 points even at a small dose. Even with these raises, mine is still within normal range, but just a word of caution."

J P S July 9, 2015

"I just started this medication yesterday. I was extremely doubtful since I've tried xanex, clonapin, and valium. However, I was at the point that I was willing to try anything. Took my first dose around 6pm and I was truly impressed. So I think it works alot better for my anxiety than any benzos ever did. For weeks I've been feeling like I was about to crawl out of my skin. Lots of medical issues, high blood pressure. I'm in telephone sales and its not ideal for those with similar medical problems. Now I feel great. Excited to go to work tomorrow. This is coming from someone who thought only benzos helped. If your doctor gives it to you, try it, it works. I take less than what others say they take and I still stand by it."

Meytal83 June 27, 2015

"This is not a miracle worker. But it does greatly improve my GAD and social anxiety. Its does mildly sedate me. I take it every day. Usually take about 100 mg a day in divided doses."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

"I had anxiety that I consider inexpressible. It was as bad as it can get. I took Xanax and it amplified my depression substantially, which increased my anxiety. Seeking a long term treatment rather than an addictive short term relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg. This is a drug similar to Benadryl, but a bit stronger. It is nonaddictive, and DOES fight the anxiety without the side effects of Ativan/Xanax. This WILL NOT kill the anxiety alone. You must be on an SSRI such as Lexapro for this drug to fully combat GAD. I urge everyone to try this drug. There are no risks, and it may help you."

Maksymilian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

"I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

"Of the non-benzodiazepeine anti-anxiety agents, Vistaril is my first choice. Vistaril seperates itself from the others by rapidly inducing a pleasant & warm feeling. By comparison, things like Compazine and clonidine are much colder and more harsh in side effects. Although Vistaril is gentle & easy going for the first hour or so, a strong drowsiness will come on by Hour #2. But overall I'd still rank it as a side-effect-free type of medicine, when compared to other non-benzo anxiolytics."

BeyondAndB4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2015

"It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later"

Birdy02 March 12, 2015

"It has helped me to relax and not have as much anxiety."

CorrieG (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2015

"I'm glad I was prescribed Vistaril. It relives anxiety quickly without all the downsides of Klonopin or Xanax. The drowsiness is more pronounced, but I'll take it over a panic attack. This seems like a good medicine to take as needed. Be careful driving, and remember to rely on natural coping skills as well. To the people experiencing an abnormal amount of drowsiness or nausea, just remember it's temporary. It was totally effective for me, and my anxiety is moderate."

Steve Stevenson February 6, 2015

"Every time I think I don't need this medicine I always go back to it. Now I found that with the Celexa it does not work as well."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2015

"I was prescribed this over Xanax because I breast feed and needed something safe to take for my extreme anxiety. I am bipolar so my levels of energy are usually very high and very anxious. I was unsure of this being able to calm me but it works great. I have experienced headaches from this medicine but I'll take that any day over my "high energy agitative states"."

AunasMom January 12, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 34/Female with marked panic attacks. I have health /doctor office anxiety. I have to say Vistaril has done wonders for me. It seemed to take a few weeks before I could really feel it's effects though. I have to keep a small amount in my system before it helps with a panic attack. I can take 1-2 25 mg pills 3 X a day as needed for anxiety. I usually take 1/2 of a 25 mg pill twice a day. When I feel an attack starting, I take another 1 to 1 1/2 pills. It stops the attack quickly. I feel like I've got my life back some, & it feels like a safety blanket. It does dry my mouth out though & I only recommend it for marked anxiety. I do not have any depression."

JuneCountrygirl34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2014

"Didn't help me with my anxiety at all. Just made me physically exhausted and unable to function during the day. "

Linzi8083 November 26, 2014

"High anxiety-25mg helped within 45 minutes!"

va usn August 29, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Even at massive doses of 200 mg I still didn't feel any relief at all from this. Benadryl or Unisom would be a better option to take for anxiety. "

Joshx17 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2014

"I was pretty disappointed by Vistaril. I asked my psychiatrist about it hoping it helps in addition with the Zoloft I was taking to cure my itchiness, anxiety, sedation, and allergies. The only thing I saw improve were my allergies, and not by much. Yes I have only been on Vistaril 12 days, but still I was disappointed with the results. One Benadryl and one Zyrtec a night was more helpful than this. Oh well I guess I'll have to keep looking."

Dyl Dyl (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2014

"This stuff was the pits. A half hour after I took my first pill, I was falling asleep. The tiredness became extremely intense. I had to cancel my plans for the evening and lay down. I was so crazy exhausted that I became anxious. I asked my prescriber for antianxiety medication. I have mild anxiety that makes me uncomfortable. This stuff just made me worse than a couch potato. Several hours later I got intestinal cramps. Then I started throwing up. "

Tryphosa June 27, 2014

"I was prescribed Vistaril for bad panic attacks, as needed. I was put on Celexa, and less than an hour after taking it, I felt extreme fear and had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. I called my doctor immediately and was told to go ahead and take the Vistaril. It calmed me down in less than 15 minutes. It did however, make me so drowsy that I found it impossible to stay awake. Thank goodness I have it on hand for my next attempt with Wellbutrin."

RadioVirus June 2, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My experience with it. The medicine works great for itch relief (pruritis) and anxiety. I have Graves Disease, this was to treat anxiety temporarily after thyroid storm. The problem I had with it was it made me to doped feeling to function normally. I stayed tired and experienced grumpiness and lack of patience. I've taken Xanax, and Elavil before and definitely was able to work, socialize normally unlike this medicine, there is no way I can take it every four to six hours and function throughout the day. I've never been one to tolerate antihistamines very well, I get the shakes etc., and experienced the same with the Vistaril. All that aside, at night it did help me sleep, help the anxiety as it's supposed too."

BreeKG May 8, 2014

"While this medicine is no where near as strong Klonopin or Xanax for my anxiety, I have found that taking a 50mg Vistaril does just enough to take the edge off."

tmanawo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took a 25 mg dose of this medicine for the first time last night. It took about 45 minutes to an hour before it made me sleepy although I was calmed within 15 minutes. I slept great-I usually wake up around 2am every night, but not last night. I slept until 9:30am which is rare for me. I did feel like a zombie for about an hour or 2 after I got up, but I didn't have any panic feelings during the day. I didn't feel 100% normal, but this was a pretty good start. I'm hopeful that the sleepiness is a transient effect and that some of my other physical symptoms go completely away."

anxious_peaches (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014

"I took this medicine for the first time and I ended up dreaming a very romantic dream. It helps me with my panic/anxiety attacks, I would like to figure out what triggers my freaking out. Never Drive when You take Vistaril. It mellows You Out. Thank You."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I would like to say that I have taken all the big medicines for my depression and Anxiety, Panic and to be truthful this medicine has worked for me. I had issues with a lot of things and getting mad and wanting to argue all the time and just could not deal with feeling that way and I have always had great out look on life even if life was horrific. Since I have been on this medicine it has helped, yes the medicine wants you to sleep more and sometimes you feel groggy but I notice if I start taking it in the evening and close to bedtime it works best. Just don't take it when you get up or in the afternoon because it will make you drowsy. I would say if you have some of the problems that the rest of us do I would say it would not hurt to try it."

Dale C February 16, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffer from Anxiety, Major Depression & Insomnia I'm taking Vistaril for the Anxiety I'm on 50MG 4 times a day when reading most of you said it made you pretty sleepy... I feel normal for the first time in 40 yrs like maybe I can have a life now... My experience so far has been a great one :o) I DON'T GET Drowsy At All LIKE I SAID THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I FEEL 100% Normal... I take two Seroquel 100MG in the AM For Major Depression... That doesn't make me Drowsy at all when I read about Vistaril and Seroquel people say they are drowsy and lethargic Not ME I Feel Great!!! I Also take Seroquel 300MG at Bedtime along with 30MG Restoril at Bedtime... The only side effects I have is movements in my neck & the chills Yep that's it."

honest (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next