User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Urticaria.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Allergic Urticaria

"Itching, sick to my stomach, blood constantly in my nose, shakes, sore throat feel like I have a cold now. Cannot take antihistamines told doctor still insisted. My bites still itch and now I feel ill on a daily basis."

mmont55 July 3, 2015

"My itching just kept coming so bad it would keep me awake all night. Even increasing the dosage didn't stop it. I have had no rash just itch from head to toes. I have had to deal with this for over two years and it's driving me nuts constantly itching. Hydroxyzine don't work and neither does Benedryl."

Itching never stopped (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2015

"Had extreme hives all over my body from an allergic reaction. Took a single 25mg tablet of hydroxyzine about an hour before I went to sleep, and I was no longer itching by bedtime. When I woke up, there were no hives. They started to return at night time, so I took another tablet, and the cycle continued."

Ryan s April 21, 2014

"Right after my 2nd child was born in 1969, I found myself scratching till I bled and I was diagnosed with Urticaria I was prescribed hydroxyzine 10mg (Atarax) 3 times a day at first, but was soon able to pare that back to 1 x 10mg pill a day which I take in the morning. I have never had a problem with drowsiness. The only time I realize I have this condition is if I run out of the medication and don't take it for a few days, then the itching comes back, usually starting on the palms of my hands. I will probably take this medication for the rest of my life, but for me it has been a Godsend."

Lizzi6 (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2014

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Have taken Vistaril for nearly 30 years for hives that seem to be associated with exposure to hot/cold temperatures or emotional stress. A 5mg dose rapidly eliminates hives and has a lasting effect for 2-3 days. My doctor gives me an annual prescription for 30, 25mg tablets which I cut into four pieces. I only take 1/4 tablet therefore this very small dose completely resolves the hives for several days with minimal side effects consisting of slight drowsiness. For me, it is a marvelous medicine. Cost, even without insurance is extremely small."

Roachie (taken for 10 years or more) August 5, 2013

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I was diagnosed with Urticaria at the age of 16 (in 1985 which just came out of the blue) and took an Atarax pill every 3-4 days when I felt the itchiness coming on. It worked 100%. Later in life they suggested I try some other antihistamine (Claritin), which I did and it worked but I have to take a pill every day so I went back to Atarax as I did not suffer from drowsiness (after taking it for so many years). Fortunately in 2011 the Urticaria disappeared and I no longer need any meds for it. If ever I get itchy skin again, Atarax will be my choice."

ItchyScratchy2 January 21, 2013

"My itching went down some after taking 10mg of hydroxizine, and that's good, but now I am totally awake, and will be for 36 hours or so, I can tell. That is how I react to Benadryl, but not to Allegra, which doesn't seem to affect my sleeping. The little bit of relief that I have gotten from taking it is not worth the complete loss of sleep. The prednisone I started today is working already, and I think I'll just take that plus Allegra until my rash goes away."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2012

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine 25 mg (one or two tablets at bedtime) for a very itchy rash. I have also had insomnia for years, it is not unusual for it to take 3 or 4 hours for me to fall asleep. The first time I took this medicine I was sound asleep within an hour after taking it, and I slept through the night. I have been taking it for about 2 months and wish I had known about it sooner."

2sleepy December 28, 2011

"I have insomnia and it is made worse by a rash that wakes me up because I itch so badly. The first time I took this was the first time I slept through the night in a very long time"

Anonymous November 3, 2011

"I have been suffering from rashes, bumps, and itches on my hands and legs for about 15 years during which time I have been to 7 skin specialist and allergists: nothing except palliative (and messy) creams and covering my hands with 6-8 bandaids at a time. Then I found a new doctor who prescribed hydroxyzine and fexofenadine. Two days later 99% of the problem was gone. It flares up when I eat any meats with preservatives (sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate) and berries with small seeds (figs, raspberries, strawberries, blue berries, etc). Drowsiness was never a problem but it would have been a worthwhile trade-off not to spend most of my waking hours itching, creaming up and then covering with bandaids."

Anonymous August 11, 2010

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "My Doctor diagnosed me with dermatographia, and prescribed Singulair and Alavert. The condition lessened, but did not go away. I would still break out into hives on a daily basis, though they were not as frequent and covered a smaller portion of my body. After a few months, she prescribed Vistaril in place of Alavert, and kept me on the Singulair. Almost immediately, I noticed a significant change! For the first time in months, I went an entire day without any hives - though I had to take the capsule four times a day. If I took fewer capsules, my hives would come back. I did experience severe drowsiness and a slight "euphoric" feeling, but it lessened over time."

Anonymous June 6, 2010

"This medicine saved my sanity, if not my life! Months of unexplained pressure hives all over my body had my nerves absolutely shot. I won't go into the details, but after MANY doctors and countless tests, I finally found a doctor who wanted me to try Atarax, 50 mg 4 times a day. I was willing to try anything!! The drowsiness was difficult to deal with for a long time but the hives had pretty much met their match. I can tell if I'm late taking one or if I've forgotten altogether. I can't live without them!"

Anonymous May 28, 2010

"Hydroxyzine has worked great for my allergic reactions. I have been fighting these allergies for 8 years now. I have tried everything form Benedryl to prescription allergy medicines. Nothing has worked for me except the hydroxyzine. I have been taking it for 4 months now and have only had very mild if any skin irritations since I began taking it. The drowsiness has not affected me at all."

Anonymous December 8, 2009

"Hydroxyzine has been the magic bullet for my skin allergies. I've tried every over-the-counter option, as well as a couple of prescriptions. I was warned that hydroxyzine might make me more sleepy and wiped out than the other drugs, but for me it has nearly no sedative effect. My hives, which used to appear over much of my body for several hours a day, stay away almost completely."

Trent Blurbo December 4, 2009

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I've had seriously awful hives and angioedema for 3 months and tried everything on my own to lessen my symptoms, even taking Benadryl around the clock. I went to my doctor who prescribed this and warned it would make me drowsy when I took it. For the first time in 3 months I've had hardly any hives (though they aren't completely gone, but much easier to handle) and I wasn't drowsy at all (maybe because I'm used to taking all the Benadryl and fighting drowsiness). I haven't had any side effects."

Hivey May 29, 2009

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"1 tablet 25 mg of hydroxyzine can control urticaria for a minimum of 3 days but for 2 days I have to sleep. Very effective for urticaria but the drowsiness side effect is hard especially for active, working women."

Avanthi April 10, 2009