Hydroxyzine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to hydroxyzine: oral capsules, oral suspension or solution, parenteral injection
Side effects include:
Drowsiness, dry mouth.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to hydroxyzine: compounding powder, intramuscular solution, oral capsule, oral suspension, oral syrup, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have included moderate to slight drowsiness. This effect is usually transitory and may disappear with continued therapy or upon discontinuation of the agent. Headache, fatigue, depression, insomnia, sedation, and nervousness have also been reported with hydroxyzine. With higher than recommended doses of hydroxyzine, involuntary motor activity such as tremor and convulsions have been reported in rare instances.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth (most common side effect), nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and increases in weight and appetite.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included the thickening of bronchial secretions. Rare occurrences of pharyngitis, bronchospasm, and epistaxis have also been reported.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included palpitations, hypotension, and edema.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included angioedema, photosensitivity, and rash.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included rare cases of urinary retention and prolonged penile erections.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision.[Ref]
1. Maddox DE, Reed CE "Clinical pharmacodynamics of antihistamines." Ann Allergy 59 (1987): 43-8
2. Simons FE, Simons KJ, Frith EM "The pharmacokinetics and antihistaminic of the H1 receptor antagonist hydroxyzine." J Allergy Clin Immunol 73 (1984): 69-75
3. Simons FE, Watson WT, Chen XY, Minuk GY, Simons KJ "The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of hydroxyzine in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis." J Clin Pharmacol 29 (1989): 809-15
4. "Product Information. Vistaril (hydroxyzine)." Pfizer US Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
5. Michel M, Dompmartin A, Louvet S, Szczurko C, Castel B, Leroy D "Skin reactions to hydroxyzine." Contact Dermatitis 36 (1997): 147-9
6. Thavundayil JX, Hambalek R, Kin NMKNY, Krishnan B, Lal S "Prolonged penile erections induced by hydroxyzine: possible mechanism of action." Neuropsychobiology 30 (1994): 4-6
Not all side effects for hydroxyzine may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about hydroxyzine
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.