User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Insomnia

Review by Inchicago (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had insomnia for 30 years. Starting taking Gabapentin. Well I'm up at 3:00 and I will never fall a sleep. It has made my Insomnia worse. Racing heart beat, skipping beats, Tongue is swelled up, Facial skin has a rash. Plus red itching eyes and stomach noisy and feels uncomfortable. I'm really so very disappointed. With these side effects so soon. I would be doing myself so much harm to continue this Medication. I'm glad it works for people you are saved from this awful plight of acute insomnia.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by Stevedin (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Helps with insomnia if I take it with other sedatives. Initially I found it very stimulating. I have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, irritable bowel syndrome-D, depression and anxiety. I take 500mg in total throughout the day. My main reason for reporting my experience is that it helps so much with my IBS-D. I have taken many anti-diarrhoea medicines with little effect.I can now eat foods that caused cramping and urgent diarrhoea. I now also take laxatives every day. I much prefer trying to manage constipation than the uncontrollable urgent diarrhoea. The IBS-D has been so crippling and I have had it for more than 25yrs. It started very soon after I had my severe viral infection that caused the CFS/ME

May 6, 2014 6:38 AM

Review by Flip Mo Better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on and happy using SEROQUEL for sleep and was highly skeptical about trying GABA. I tried many other medicines to combat insomnia and they all proved not to work. I was pleasantly surprised how GABA worked. It helps keep me in very deep sleep for 6 hours. After that I wake up, but can easily get to sleep. The dreams are very vivid, but not unpleasant. I had to tweak my dosage however. I'm now at 1200 mg at night and sleep with total ease. Full disclosure, my insomnia has roots in anxiety, so this medicine proved to be effective because it helps with Anxiety too. I'm happy!

April 30, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by sogap34:

Just started Neurontin 2 days ago. Dose is 200mg. It has worked wonders for me.

April 13, 2014 2:58 PM

Review by Leeleefabulous:

I've struggled with Restless Leg Syndrome and Insomnia for 14 years. This medication knocked me out! It stopped my legs from jerking and put me to sleep. The only problem is that the first day after I took it, I'd never been so groggy in my life. I could not walk straight and was lethargic all day. The next day the grogginess wasn't as bad and my doc said that that side effect will decrease soon. Other than that, I feel like this is a miracle for restless legs syndrome and insomnia. It's been a 14 year struggle for me but this is the first time anything has helped.

September 18, 2013 6:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This has been the only medicine to help with my insomnia and I've tried a lot. Unfortunately, I'm finding I'm also irritable most of the day since I've ramped up to 3 pills per day. I'm cutting back to two to see if that helps that side.

August 1, 2012 3:03 AM

Review by hscolnik:

Neurontin (gabapentin): Initially took it for shingles pain but found it to be great for sleeping and for settling down my occasional restless legs syndrome.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2011 5:42 AM

Review by LTUSAFaz:

I have suffered with insomnia for years and no medications improved my condition until I started using Gabapentin. I have been taking it for 7 days and my quality of sleep has greatly improved. I used to wake up 3-4 times per night and found it hard to fall back asleep. Gabapentin puts me to sleep and I am enjoying deeper, more restful REM stages. I highly recommend it for this condition. I was prescribed this for chronic pain and this is a great bonus. Like the other reviewer it will cause residual grogginess the next day for several hours. Extra caffeine is definitely needed!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Review by rhollusstar:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I took this medication in conjuction with Lamictal for bipolar disorder some years ago, and it would help me fall asleep, especially if I had a lot on my mind.

October 5, 2009 11:17 PM

Review by Mim321:

Neurontin (gabapentin): I sleep deeper and wake up refreshed. It doesn't knock me out or stop anxious thoughts, but once I get to sleep, I sleep so well and with less awakenings.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2009 10:00 PM

Review by qc:

My psychiatrist put me on gabapentin for my headaches and insomnia. I was waking up in the middle of the night and having a hard time falling back to sleep. This drug along with putting up heavy curtains to block all light and noise saved me. My headaches are gone and I sleep normally now. Good drug.

March 19, 2009 7:22 PM

This medicine does allow me to sleep, but has the unfortunate side effect of keeping me drowsy for about half a day thereafter no matter how early I take it.

March 17, 2009 9:03 AM

Neurontin (gabapentin): Best medicine so far 1/5/2009.

January 6, 2009 11:05 PM

Neurontin (gabapentin): After trying every type of insomnia medicine, this is the only medication that has worked for me. I don't notice any side effects. It isn't perfect. I still have sleepless nights sometimes; but those are nothing compared to the insomnia I was dealing with before.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2008 4:55 AM