User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Insomnia

"Gabapentin helps me fall asleep, but I wake up always eight hours after I take it. It makes me feel a little groggy, but I use it for when I get sleepless nights. Fall in love people, your insomnia will go away. Everytime my soulmate is close to me I sleep like a baby!"

lals August 25, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin for sleep 200 mg. This is my first week giving it a go, I will post back after one week. I have been ulta sensitive to other given, I am hopeful this one will work. My sister takes it for nerve pain with success..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"A TRIPLE-CROWN WINNER! First, this wonder drug eliminated my chronic migraines. Second, it has done wonders for mild insomnia. By "mild" I mean go to sleep fast, but wake up in a couple of hours staring at the ceiling. This cycle repeats several times a night. Gabapentin eliminated that problem. Now with only 200 mg before bedtime, I sleep all the way through the night! It also has the added benefit of helping nerve pain in my neck. I take Gab with prescription Advil (for arthritis in neck) when the pain is at a high level and the combo really helps bring down the intensity of the pain to a manageable level. Added bonus? Absolutely NO side effects. :)"

biscotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"Great medication. I acquired RLS from abrupt discontinuation of benzodiazepines, and this has been the only thing that helps. Ambien on its own doesn't put me to sleep, but 5mg in conjunction with 400mg of neurontin helps me so much. I've had insomnia almost every night for the past 2 months, and I am so glad my doctor prescribed me this!!!"

pulledover May 23, 2015

"I only take 100 mg. at night, occasionally 200 and it really does help me sleep. I feel more refreshed in the morning also like I got better, deeper sleep. I have Fibromyalgia and have had problems with insomnia for 25 years."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I've had chronic insomnia for 20 years. I can't fall asleep and then when I do, I wake up after a couple of hours and can't fall back to sleep for several hours. I still take trazodone to get to sleep and use the Gabapentin to stay asleep. I take 100 mg of the Trazodone and 1500 mg of the Gabapentin. I sleep great and feel great the next day. Nothing else ever worked for me. I love this medicine. Sleep is a beautiful thing."

Gdoo April 1, 2015

"I did not sleep well for a over 30 years. Took Ambien for 15 years. Doctor hopped until my new doc prescribed gabapentin for restless leg & other things. I now sleep better than I have ever slept. It has changed my life. I dream & can concentrate. Wonderful."

Joy yoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"I have idiopathic insomnia as well as sleep apnea. Although the CPAP helps the apnea, I still was waking up every hour or two during the night, never getting a restful night sleep. Then I was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain and discovered that it also works for my sleep. I wake rested and have much more energy. Apparently GABA helps increase slow wave sleep so I am dreaming more also."

Very helpful (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"My doctor suggested gabapentin for my leg cramps/restless legs and insomnia. I was unable to sit for any period of time without my legs causing discomfort and would have very painful leg cramps. I would find it hard to get to sleep and would wake up at 2 or 3 am every night. I have been taking gabapentin for a month and am very pleased....I have not experienced any of the severe symptoms that have been described by others."

OmaNe December 17, 2014

"Having dealt with death of husband, shifts in job responsibilites, grad school and child, I was in the midst of massive depression and anxiety. I was on Ambien 10 mg for 8 months, which helped, I slept but the fact of addiction was ever present. I was switched to gabapentin by my neurologist for migraines, and taken off the Ambien. I thought at first it was useless, I was wired and wide awake, but by the third to fourth day, I noticed I was dreaming again, which I had rarely done in 9 months. I feel much more rested, where as I had been taking naps any day I could, due to insomnia even on Ambien, and hardly need to now. I do feel somewhat groggy, but I only take it at night, and it is 600 mg. dose."

Overworked one (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2014

"I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for about 5 months now, so my doctor put me on Lexapro. When I went back, they prescribed me a higher dosage, causing me not to sleep but maybe 3 hours all together throughout the night. I told my doctor and she gave me Neurontin 200mg and it has helped me very much! It does work the way I expected. It doesn't just help you sleep, it lets you rest! And that is what I surely did need."

Riebayy October 25, 2014

"I've had insomnia for 30 years. Starting taking Gabapentin. Well I'm up at 3:00 and I will never fall a sleep. It has made my Insomnia worse. Racing heart beat, skipping beats, Tongue is swelled up, Facial skin has a rash. Plus red itching eyes and stomach noisy and feels uncomfortable. I'm really so very disappointed. With these side effects so soon. I would be doing myself so much harm to continue this Medication. I'm glad it works for people you are saved from this awful plight of acute insomnia."

Inchicago (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2014

"Helps with insomnia if I take it with other sedatives. Initially I found it very stimulating. I have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, irritable bowel syndrome-D, depression and anxiety. I take 500mg in total throughout the day. My main reason for reporting my experience is that it helps so much with my IBS-D. I have taken many anti-diarrhoea medicines with little effect.I can now eat foods that caused cramping and urgent diarrhoea. I now also take laxatives every day. I much prefer trying to manage constipation than the uncontrollable urgent diarrhoea. The IBS-D has been so crippling and I have had it for more than 25yrs. It started very soon after I had my severe viral infection that caused the CFS/ME"

Stevedin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

"I was on and happy using SEROQUEL for sleep and was highly skeptical about trying GABA. I tried many other medicines to combat insomnia and they all proved not to work. I was pleasantly surprised how GABA worked. It helps keep me in very deep sleep for 6 hours. After that I wake up, but can easily get to sleep. The dreams are very vivid, but not unpleasant. I had to tweak my dosage however. I'm now at 1200 mg at night and sleep with total ease. Full disclosure, my insomnia has roots in anxiety, so this medicine proved to be effective because it helps with Anxiety too. I'm happy!"

Flip Mo Better (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2014

"Just started Neurontin 2 days ago. Dose is 200mg. It has worked wonders for me."

sogap34 April 13, 2014

"I've struggled with Restless Leg Syndrome and Insomnia for 14 years. This medication knocked me out! It stopped my legs from jerking and put me to sleep. The only problem is that the first day after I took it, I'd never been so groggy in my life. I could not walk straight and was lethargic all day. The next day the grogginess wasn't as bad and my doc said that that side effect will decrease soon. Other than that, I feel like this is a miracle for restless legs syndrome and insomnia. It's been a 14 year struggle for me but this is the first time anything has helped."

Leeleefabulous September 18, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This has been the only medicine to help with my insomnia and I've tried a lot. Unfortunately, I'm finding I'm also irritable most of the day since I've ramped up to 3 pills per day. I'm cutting back to two to see if that helps that side."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): "Initially took it for shingles pain but found it to be great for sleeping and for settling down my occasional restless legs syndrome."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered with insomnia for years and no medications improved my condition until I started using Gabapentin. I have been taking it for 7 days and my quality of sleep has greatly improved. I used to wake up 3-4 times per night and found it hard to fall back asleep. Gabapentin puts me to sleep and I am enjoying deeper, more restful REM stages. I highly recommend it for this condition. I was prescribed this for chronic pain and this is a great bonus. Like the other reviewer it will cause residual grogginess the next day for several hours. Extra caffeine is definitely needed!"

LTUSAFaz August 13, 2011

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I took this medication in conjuction with Lamictal for bipolar disorder some years ago, and it would help me fall asleep, especially if I had a lot on my mind."

rhollusstar October 5, 2009

Neurontin (gabapentin): "I sleep deeper and wake up refreshed. It doesn't knock me out or stop anxious thoughts, but once I get to sleep, I sleep so well and with less awakenings."

Mim321 September 21, 2009

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My psychiatrist put me on gabapentin for my headaches and insomnia. I was waking up in the middle of the night and having a hard time falling back to sleep. This drug along with putting up heavy curtains to block all light and noise saved me. My headaches are gone and I sleep normally now. Good drug."

qc March 19, 2009

"This medicine does allow me to sleep, but has the unfortunate side effect of keeping me drowsy for about half a day thereafter no matter how early I take it. "

Anonymous March 17, 2009

Neurontin (gabapentin): "Best medicine so far 1/5/2009."

Anonymous January 6, 2009

Neurontin (gabapentin): "After trying every type of insomnia medicine, this is the only medication that has worked for me. I don't notice any side effects. It isn't perfect. I still have sleepless nights sometimes; but those are nothing compared to the insomnia I was dealing with before."

Anonymous August 19, 2008

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Insomnia