User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Insomnia

"I could no longer tolerate Requip for my RLS, so my NP put me on gabapentum. Gabapentum nearly halted the RLS totally but also caused my peripheral neuropathy to diminish greatly. Another doctor said that result would be expected. Getting only 4 hours of sleep before I get up for some coffee. Two hours later—about dawn—I can get another hour of sleep easily. (Another hour of nap after lunch). So I can't speak to sleeplessness, as I'm taking a bunch of other medications (stent installed)."

Wolfeboronian April 22, 2016

"As I understand gabapentin, it was originally used to treat seizures but helps to keep you asleep but not necessarily, put you to sleep. My doctor is very wise but also very conservative but felt it is a rather benign drug so added it to my ambien. The combo has been very effective in giving me a full nights sleep. I live in Washington state so was encouraged by my naturopath to try medical marijuana. I take a capsule with THC only (no CBD as its about $5/pill) and it has been a Godsend with no discernible side effects. I sleep like a baby. I still add about 200 mg gaba to keep me asleep. My only problem with gaba is I have blurred vision the next day. I understand from the fine print that this can be a side effect."

Kekoa (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2016

"I've been taking gabapentin 300 mg for 2 nights and I've slept like a baby No side effects in the morning."

Camii (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"just took this for the first time.. I am used to taking Ambien and my new doctor wouldn't prescribe that. took it about 2 hours ago when I got off work. It is now past 4am and I am still sleepless, the only thing I feel is a little bit of reflux and my throat feels a little swollen."

faith the sleepless April 10, 2016

"I take a 300 mg of Gabapentin along with 10 mg of Melatonin and it's works great for me. I fall asleep about 30 to 40 minutes after taking them and sleep throughout the night."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2016

"I have been prescribed Gabapentin for insomnia. For the last 2 years I have taken it nightly at bedtime 2000mg + 12.5 mg zolpidem ER + .25 mg of alprazolam. I find the zolpidem + alprazolam put me to sleep and the gabapentin keep me there...... most of the time. I feel as though I have forgotten how to "fall" asleep, but now knock myself out. After taking this handful of pills nightly at 9 PM, I can be awake at 2 am or 4 am. It has been a lot of drugs for a long period of time. Since the drugs "labeled" use is for nerve pain, which I didn't have, I worry that the neuroma in my foot that developed 15 months ago might be related. Neuroma, foot injections, foot surgery .. Pain unresolved How effective do you think it is?"

El Roy March 20, 2016

"my hubby has been on the med since Sept 2015. It is not working.. they put him on the Gaba to remove the morphine. In the last 4 weeks by 11pm he is wide awake in pain and in tears. In the last 2 weeks the heavy pressure on his right side just below the shoulder is worse each time. He has developed a cold that will not go away starting in Nov. We see the Doc on Feb 3rd. He is taking a sleep aid and med for really bad headaches. I am so afraid of what will happen when the next dose falls. We have been married for 24 years. He has had problems with drugs and drink all his life from 9 years of age on.. yep .. people 9 years of age.. Started smoking pot and drinking.. "

blue star mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

"I take on 300mg of Gabapentin and one Trazadone one hour before bedtime with absolutely remarkable results! 20 years of chronic insomnia and trying every treatment with minimal success. This is the miracle combination...love it! The only side effect is vivid dreams."

Happy Dreams January 29, 2016

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety and insomnia. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and had a tough time getting used to my CPAP and didn't sleep for several nights in a row. The first night I took the Gabapentin I slept! And I've slept every night since then. I take 800 mgs during the day and 800 mgs at night for 1600 total. I sleep between 7 and 9 hours every night now. My neurologist also told me that Gabapentin increases slow wave sleep. Before my CPAP (and the Gabapentin) I was getting no N3 slow wave sleep at all. So this drug is amazing for sleep, for me at least."

EuroAtHrt (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"This is my first night taking gap and I can't sleep. I took it at 9 it is now 12 I'm going to keep trying it for a few more days I will let you all know."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"This was the miracle drug to help get me through the hot flashes and insomnia associated with menopause. It also helped my anxious insomniac daughter. I take 300mg every night before bed."

J and M December 30, 2015

"I had recent foot surgery and experienced nerve discomfort while in the hospital. I was started on Neurontin which did help my nerve discomfort about 80% and made me very sleepy for the first week. After that I experienced insomnia which I found more distressing than the nerve discomfort. I am currently in the process of weaning myself off this med."

LQ September 19, 2015

"I take either 1 gabapentin and 2 zzzquil or 2 gabapentin and 1 zzzquil and I sleep like a baby all night! I normally fall asleep relatively quickly and wake up around 2 or 3am with terrible back pain and am practically up the rest of the night. Ever since this combo I have finally found rest! The 2 on their own did nothing for me just fyi"

sleeplessman101 September 6, 2015

"Gabapentin helps me fall asleep, but I wake up always eight hours after I take it. It makes me feel a little groggy, but I use it for when I get sleepless nights. Fall in love people, your insomnia will go away. Everytime my soulmate is close to me I sleep like a baby!"

lals August 25, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin for sleep 200 mg. This is my first week giving it a go, I will post back after one week. I have been ulta sensitive to other given, I am hopeful this one will work. My sister takes it for nerve pain with success..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"A TRIPLE-CROWN WINNER! First, this wonder drug eliminated my chronic migraines. Second, it has done wonders for mild insomnia. By "mild" I mean go to sleep fast, but wake up in a couple of hours staring at the ceiling. This cycle repeats several times a night. Gabapentin eliminated that problem. Now with only 200 mg before bedtime, I sleep all the way through the night! It also has the added benefit of helping nerve pain in my neck. I take Gab with prescription Advil (for arthritis in neck) when the pain is at a high level and the combo really helps bring down the intensity of the pain to a manageable level. Added bonus? Absolutely NO side effects. :)"

biscotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"Great medication. I acquired RLS from abrupt discontinuation of benzodiazepines, and this has been the only thing that helps. Ambien on its own doesn't put me to sleep, but 5mg in conjunction with 400mg of neurontin helps me so much. I've had insomnia almost every night for the past 2 months, and I am so glad my doctor prescribed me this!!!"

pulledover May 23, 2015

"I only take 100 mg. at night, occasionally 200 and it really does help me sleep. I feel more refreshed in the morning also like I got better, deeper sleep. I have Fibromyalgia and have had problems with insomnia for 25 years."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I've had chronic insomnia for 20 years. I can't fall asleep and then when I do, I wake up after a couple of hours and can't fall back to sleep for several hours. I still take trazodone to get to sleep and use the Gabapentin to stay asleep. I take 100 mg of the Trazodone and 1500 mg of the Gabapentin. I sleep great and feel great the next day. Nothing else ever worked for me. I love this medicine. Sleep is a beautiful thing."

Gdoo April 1, 2015

"I did not sleep well for a over 30 years. Took Ambien for 15 years. Doctor hopped until my new doc prescribed gabapentin for restless leg & other things. I now sleep better than I have ever slept. It has changed my life. I dream & can concentrate. Wonderful."

Joy yoy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"I have idiopathic insomnia as well as sleep apnea. Although the CPAP helps the apnea, I still was waking up every hour or two during the night, never getting a restful night sleep. Then I was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain and discovered that it also works for my sleep. I wake rested and have much more energy. Apparently GABA helps increase slow wave sleep so I am dreaming more also."

Very helpful (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"My doctor suggested gabapentin for my leg cramps/restless legs and insomnia. I was unable to sit for any period of time without my legs causing discomfort and would have very painful leg cramps. I would find it hard to get to sleep and would wake up at 2 or 3 am every night. I have been taking gabapentin for a month and am very pleased....I have not experienced any of the severe symptoms that have been described by others."

OmaNe December 17, 2014

"Having dealt with death of husband, shifts in job responsibilites, grad school and child, I was in the midst of massive depression and anxiety. I was on Ambien 10 mg for 8 months, which helped, I slept but the fact of addiction was ever present. I was switched to gabapentin by my neurologist for migraines, and taken off the Ambien. I thought at first it was useless, I was wired and wide awake, but by the third to fourth day, I noticed I was dreaming again, which I had rarely done in 9 months. I feel much more rested, where as I had been taking naps any day I could, due to insomnia even on Ambien, and hardly need to now. I do feel somewhat groggy, but I only take it at night, and it is 600 mg. dose."

Overworked one (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2014

"I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for about 5 months now, so my doctor put me on Lexapro. When I went back, they prescribed me a higher dosage, causing me not to sleep but maybe 3 hours all together throughout the night. I told my doctor and she gave me Neurontin 200mg and it has helped me very much! It does work the way I expected. It doesn't just help you sleep, it lets you rest! And that is what I surely did need."

Riebayy October 25, 2014

"I've had insomnia for 30 years. Starting taking Gabapentin. Well I'm up at 3:00 and I will never fall a sleep. It has made my Insomnia worse. Racing heart beat, skipping beats, Tongue is swelled up, Facial skin has a rash. Plus red itching eyes and stomach noisy and feels uncomfortable. I'm really so very disappointed. With these side effects so soon. I would be doing myself so much harm to continue this Medication. I'm glad it works for people you are saved from this awful plight of acute insomnia."

Inchicago (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2014