User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 293 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 178 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 722 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Hot Flashes: "After years of hot flashes.....at least one per hour....plus sleep depriving night sweats....my doctor suggested Gabapentin rather than hormones. Didnt really understand the drug until I did some research and read how it has helped other women. So, I took it....300mg, at night, as prescribed.....wow!!! I havent slept that well in years!!!! Zero night sweats! The first two mornings after taking Gabapentin, I felt a little bit foggy headed. But also a sense of calm that I really enjoyed. No more foggy mornings.....its been 1 week since I began taking Gabapentin. Still getting a solid 8 hours of sleep with no night sweats! I am one very happy woman!"

kat grab July 29, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "This medicine can ruin your ability to think.I would walk in to a room,and forget the last 5 minutes.I had to reduce the medication by 40%,and am now tapering at 10% month to fend off sudden withdrawal symptoms."

B0 July 27, 2015

For Pain: "Because I am a recovering alcoholic it is crucial for me to find non-narcotic treatment for the persevering pain of my chronic pancreatitis. I was feeling a bit hopeless with the repeated prescriptions of pain meds (which of course offer only temporary relief, and for me a danger of over-use), until my GI prescribed me Gabapentin. This med has been incredibly successful in mitigating my pain, while also giving me huge energy (I'm a consistent runner so this factor is welcomed), and allowing me to move forward with my sobriety. I give it four stars, though I realize like anything, it's not for everyone. That said, good luck to you all with finding what works."

Sgw78 July 27, 2015

For Pain: "I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict with chronic pancreatitis, so having the option to take a non-narcotic to manage chronic pain is critical for me. I have been relatively successful at managing the pancreatitis after it's acute and vicious onset which had me hospitalized and on a diladid drip for seven weeks. Now that after a year the pancreatitis has turned chronic, though I maintain a good diet and exercise often, and so pain management is crucial. However it's pretty dangerous for me to be on narcotics, and it is most certainly not how I want to spend my life. The Gabapentin has truly made the biggest difference for me in both dealing with chronic pain and the anxiety I have about controlled substances. I am relieved and grateful."

Sgw78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "A LOT of side effects, blurred vision (extreme); depression; nightmares, delirium (if drink alcohol); withdrawal if suddenly stopped"

KDelphi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have struggled for 4 years with anxiety and depression. The docs doped me up on benzos since no Antidepressanh would work. I finally had a break down and been off work 3 1/2 months. Gabapentin has changed me around in a day. I'm slowly increasing my dose to 1800mg. Remeron has helped work well on the depression and sleep and lack of appetite. Plus my GI issue.. The combo works for me."

Drew14-86 July 19, 2015

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I t really got rid of my nerve pain in foot"

JEFFREY TOBI AS (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have suffered from intermittent Trigeminal neuralgia for 30 years, undiagnosed until 10 years ago. Mostly I've been treated with trileptal, but with the last two bouts I suffered from low sodium as a side effect as well as edema. The trileptal was not controlling the symptoms well. My doctor added gabapentin which immediately helped and allowed me to ease off the trileptal."

jlup July 18, 2015

For Pain: "300mg Gabapentin - It definitely got rid of my depression and fibromyalgia pain but after 6 weeks I gained 30lbs.I discontinued the drug after 6 weeks but my weight continues to increase after a year."

ydricka (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2015

For Migraine: "I began having debilitating migraines when I was 15 years old. Such severe pain and nausea that lasted for many days each week. The migraines continued until I was over 40 years of age. I would have to go to the ER for shots to help with the pain and the nausea. My life was literally miserable, because I would only be pain-free a few days a month. Then, when in my 40's, after having migraines for over 25 years, I was put on Neurontin, not for migraines, but as a mood stabilizer. Miraculously, my migraines stopped completely. I am now 62 years old, and have not had a single migraine since in my 40's. I am on 2400 mg of Neurontin a day. I take two 400mg capsules three times daily. No other drug ever helped with my migraines."

Bhaven July 13, 2015

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have suffered with RLS for pretty much my entire life, I'm 55 now. Discovered gabapentin reading blog posts. I have tried all the other meds. My RLS was getting so bad I was having a lot of episodes during the day and not just at night, but worse at night. I could not sit still to even look at a newspaper or magazine. There were time I actually thought I was going to go completely insane. Most night I didn't sleep more than an hour or two. Even then I was not getting a good deep sleep. When I asked my GP about gabapentin, he had no problem prescribing it for me. He even followed recommendation for the dosage. I take 100mg in the morning and at lunch. Before bedtime I take 200 mg.. All I can say is that this has been a godsend for me."

Ardsee July 11, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "Degenerative disc pain. Pinched nerve root L4-L5, from arthritic bone spurs. Was on oxycodone for months. Doc gave me this to get me off the oxy's. By god, it worked. I was truly skeptical, but my pain levels are assuredly reduced, and the side affects are minor. The oxys really didn't block the hardcore nerve signals that fire when the nerve is pinched by walking or movements. Lightning bolts of pain would shoot right through the meds. This at least makes the pain tolerable."

Sgt. Rock (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am prescribed 600mg 3x a day.. It most definitely helps with my moods, back pain, and I think helps me relax and sleep. But I also take ambient,and clonazepam also at night.I am also an addict,but I do not abuse these 3 meds. I had a problem with pain killers and xanax.which now I take subutek to help with the cravings for these 2 meds. And I will say if you take them like your prescribed then they Will help you. But of course you need a sponsor and go to meetings."

Danielle33179 July 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am a 70 yr old woman & have had anxiety & depression my whole life. This medication has changed my life. I took it initially for shingles but noticed immediately that my anxiety was gone so I phoned my psychiatrist (I am bipolar) & asked to be put on it. He agreed no problem. I take 300 mg 3 times a day. I hope this helps others with anxiety & depression. I am like a new woman!"

Patcher July 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "Following surgery for prostate cancer, and 3 months later possibility of duodenal cancer ( biopsy tested negative) however surgery recommended; I was having severe anxiety & panic attacks. This lasted 3 1/2 years, during which I tried numerous SSRI's & SNRI's all with no effect. In fact it made it worse, e.g. Suicidal ideation, greater bouts of anxiety, headaches, diarrhea. Ativan did help significantly, but all the negativity started to raise my anxiety just taking it. I finally jut took it despite all this negativity. Thankfully, my p Doc continued my prescription and I was able to live a better quality of life. I then was asked to try an "off label" Medication ... Gabapentin. After 2weeks it did wonders!! Highly recommend!!"

Johnny Joe July 3, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have significant anxiety and depression due to PTSD associated with my son being critically ill. I have not been able to live my life for over a year. Fear and panic and sadness has made me a shell of the woman, mom, and wife I once was. I also have reoccurring shingles. I have tried numerous anti anxiety medications with little relief. The gabapentin was prescribed to help with my neuropathic pain (which it has helped significantly), the wonderful side effect has been that my anxiety is almost nonexistant and I am able to live my active life again. I take up to 300 mg up to 3 times a day. I have been taking it more like 200 mg morning and afternoon."

SheHasJoy July 3, 2015

For Pain: "I rate this a seven because it got rid of my horrible burning urethra pain after two months but I am at 500mg/day at three months and haven't experienced any affect on my bladder pain. The urethra pain was unbearable so I would've taken it just for that. Going to continue taking this for six months. No side effects when working my way up 100mg each week to 500mg/day"

Celi July 3, 2015

For Vulvodynia: "No more horrible constant burning unprovoked vulvar pain! Also helped with my urethra pain from IC. three months on it I am almost back to normal. Able to have sex after two months. Worked my way up 100mg at a time each week to 500mg and stayed there. Don't be scared, take small constant doses to not have any side affects. 300mg was too much to start with for me."

Celi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

For Anxiety: "I am about to start this tomorrow. i found this page and am thinking how rare it is to see so much positive feedback compared to other things i've researched. I hope it helps me. the ssri's have always made things worse and i gave up long ago. Only reason I am trying this is b/c nothing will control my blood pressure and the cardiologist thinks the roots are in anxiety/panic. Ten years of my life have been limited and like a prison. I see encouragement here. I have tried to avoid any medication, but I am getting older now and have to give it another shot. I finally found a dr that seemed to understand and not treat me like a nut case. Generally, going to any dr's office is an ordeal for me and in full blown panic"

Roe B June 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take Gabapentin along with Prazosin and the Gabapentin does not work. I take 600mg of Gabapentin and 2mg of Prazosin. Now my Dr is going to have to take me off of Gabapentin and put me on something else."

Brenda Strothers June 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal gabapentin and brintillix combo has really helped my Bipolar 2. Gabapentin is calming and the blurred vision goes away after a week or 2"

bboo June 29, 2015

For Pain: "Took one 300mg pill 1 hour before bed last night (around 10pm) and have been regretting it ever since. Did not sleep due to vivid dreams (3D Alice in Wonderland type). Extremely irritable, mood swings every 5 minutes, groggy, eating non-stop since last night. To top it all off my pain is still here. Dr prescibed this to me for pain in my knees, legs, feet, (can barely walk without holding on to something), arms, wrists, and hands (hurt so much I'm unable to grasp anything with my right hand). Been taking Norco 5/325 2x a day for the past 2 years for left shoulder pain due to a car accident which worked well for that, but like any other medication you take for a long period of time it stopped working. I will not try this again. Best of luck."

G9 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "After a nightmare of narcotic meds for my fibro I was put on 900mg a day of gabapentin. It didn't work right away, and I wanted to stop taking it. My doctor explained that it sometimes works like an anti depressant can: slowly. She told me to keep at it. Slowly I began to realize that I felt way better! My pain had eased, my sleep was more regular. I haven't experienced any side effects at all. It it is such a mild medicine and one I thank God for everyday. I am at a 1200mg a day dose and will probably increase that slowly as the need arises. I encourage anyone with fibromyalgia to try this med. It may not be narcotic, but it helps!! And thats all that matters."

Pearlee214 June 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started 400 mg a day its only day two but my first night sleep was amazing the deepest sleep I've ever had woke up groggy and not feeling up to much but I got better thru the day and now I've read comments saying other people felt loopy and groggy first couple weeks so I hope it dose even out"

HLC420 June 26, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've been trough a lot of trauma, lost my family, just had a baby and now looking forward to a Euro-trip. This drug is a life-saver, after trying a lot. Makes me feel good, lot less anxiety and safe to take it while taking care of my daughter. You found the right one! ;-)"

Kisfust June 20, 2015