User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 293 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 677 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "Very moderate pain relief."

old grouch (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2015

For Pain: "I'm 53 year old male. First back surgery was when I was 30. Have had 5 lower back surgeries total. Last one was a fusion L5-S1. Big mistake. Major nerve damage and left my left leg, mostly my foot and toes numb. Have been on hydrocodone for years and years, which helped, but you build up a tolerance. My new pain doctor asked me if I had ever taken Neurontin? I advised no. He wrote me a script of 300mg up to 4 a day. It has made a major difference in pain level. I only take one hydrocodone a day and that is when I first wake up. Downside is feeling groggy and dry mouth, but I can deal with that. Big difference in my life now. Much better."

mid tenn May 12, 2015

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I have been on Gabapentin for 15 months. My dose is two 600mg tablets a day for a total of 1200mg in a 24-hour period. I was prescribed Gabapentin for alcoholism first, anxiety second. This medication is a God send. After drinking 10-15 alcohol drinks a day for 40 years, within a week I quit and had no side effects from withdrawal - plus the anxiety went away. I do NOT crave alcohol at all. It is so weird. I thought it wouldn't work until I tried it - and it does work! It was THAT quick. I suggest everyone with an alcohol problem that wants to quit but is deathly afraid to do so, ask your doctor for gabapentin. It is non-addictive like benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax). AA never worked for me. Gabapentin, IMO replaces AA."

Gaba-Lover May 12, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "20 years ago I was experiencing 33 hot flushes (I'm British!) in 24 hours, this had gone on for about five years. Nothing worked for me. I read an article on trials that had taken place in the US, took it to my doctor and we started me on Gabapentin. Well, it was a godsend. I'm not at the top of the dosage level and so I have some minor 'warm' periods but nothing I can't cope with. After that my doctor put all her ladies on it who were having a bad time. I'd recommend it to anyone. No cost to me because we have the National Health Service in this coutnry."

Spreckles (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on gabapentin about 2 yrs. I take it with Wellbutrin, since Wellbutrin by itself, just causes too much anxiety for me. It is wonderful, helps the anxiety, and moods, relaxes and calms me, yet doesn't make me real tired. I take 300mg x 3, which is 900 mg a day, and it is perfect, if I need an extra one, I take it, since my script is for 4 a day, and I only take 3. Good stuff. Oh, also, it helps with some of my muscle pain as well. Another thing I've noticed, it decreases my appetite, and I lose weight, my weight stays stable."

cvoor May 11, 2015

For Migraine: "I had been taking topomax and Botox injections. They helped initially, the Botox helps within one week, sometimes two. I got injections ev'y 3 mths. Quit working after awhile. Now on gabapentin. Seems to be helping somewhat on higher dose but weight gain is horrible! I do not have increased appetite nor eat more either. Not sure what to do about it. Can't keep increasing weight."

Charleyrules May 9, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been on 600 mg in the morning (an hour or more before I get out of bed) and 1200 mg. at 6:30 p.m. for a bedtime of 10:00 p.m. In almost a month I've had a return of my "can do" attitude, a reduction in pain, a seeming improvement in memory and the greatest sleep in years. Unfortunately I've also had a 16 pound weight gain. I am already obese, so this is a huge problem. It breaks my heart because for the first time in 27 years I've been excited to have a flower garden again. Before that I had no interest because even the thought of it was too overwhelming due to pain. Dizziness was a very bad problem at first but I was down in bed anyway for other problems so it didn't matter to me. That wore off (mostly) in three weeks."

dresan (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2015

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I had hip replacement surgery on my left hip in 2011. Surgery went fine, but I developed RSD in my left foot. It's a long story, with me thinking I was going to die from the pain, to going to the ER one day, on the advice of the home health nurse that came 3 times a week to my house, to my surgeon sending me to a Pain Management Specialist. He did a nerve block and most of the burning pain was gone. He put me on a gradually increasing schedule of Gabapentin, which works very well. If this awful thing had to happen to me, I'm very grateful that Gabapentin works for me and allows me to function. I have some days when I'm feeling a bit of burning, but it's not bad. Most days I'm fine. I have a brace-dropfoot-but I manage. Thank God!"

Bev. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

Gabarone (gabapentin) for Restless Legs Syndrome: "My restless leg syndrome results in cramp-like pains that nothing seems to help. Until I took 300 mg of Gabapentin. It definitely took care of the pain, but it left me feeling drunk the next morning! I was staggering when I walked and had great difficulty waking up. This lasted for several hours after I woke up. Thankfully, this only happened the first couple of times that I took Gabapentin. Unfortunately, it was only effective at 300 mg for about two weeks. I was supposed to move up to two capsules (600 mg total) after the first week, but hadn't out of fear of the side effects and at first it seemed unnecessary. Once the pain came back, I added the 2nd capsule and the tired, groggy feeling lasted all day! I'm not going to keep taking it."

spiffywife (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Chronic finger twitching. I use this drug for my fibromyalgia that attacks my face. I cry out in pain when the cycle last anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Even my hydrocodone doesn't work on my face. Gabapentine works great on taking the edge off. The only side effect I don't like is the chronic finger twitching."

dinamite May 1, 2015

For Anxiety: "Gabapentin 200mg. definitely helps my anxiety. I know because I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back..I don't have panic attacks but a low level fear of the future, dread, etc..Gabapentin helps a lot."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Insomnia: "I only take 100 mg. at night, occasionally 200 and it really does help me sleep. I feel more refreshed in the morning also like I got better, deeper sleep. I have Fibromyalgia and have had problems with insomnia for 25 years."

SweetLuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia around my left ear and neck and prescribed Neruda which is Turkish pills including Gabapentin. I started taking 300mg first day, 600mg on 2nd day than 900mg on 3rd and following days. After 3rd day it cut off my pain immediately. But after 1 month pain started again but this time at the right side of my head around my ear. I started using this medicine again and this time it diminished the pain level a bit but didn't really cut it off. Hoping to get well again."

AWACSMAN (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm 52 years old and felt my life was meaningless, and extremely hard facing everyday routines and now I'm sitting in the garage and feel like I could sit here all day. This is my second day and I feel the best I have in 30 years. Before I couldn't sit here without my mind racing a million times a second and getting up and feeling anxious. I took the day off from work not knowing what my anxiety was going to do, but look forward to going to work tomorrow. So far life is good and I hope this is the miracle drug I've been longing for."

Minnesota Vet (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I was having bad hot flashes and I was taking estrogen, it helps but not much, I did some research, hot flashes are neurological, that's why they work so well! I'm so happy with how they work for me, I hope all women can be helped by this medicine. I Don't take that new medicine called brisdelle it's basically just a 8mg Paxil. neurontin helps with my pain and anxiety also, do research you'll be surprised what meds could help besides estrogen."

JerriLee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking gabatin for relief of fibromyalgia for two and a half years. At first the medication worked tremendously well. However in the beginning it relieved my migraines but now my migraines are back so badly and are so much worse than ever before. I also have horrible vision now cannot sleep and my depression is severe. I go back to my neurologist on May the 11th and I am going to insist that he changed my medication and get me off this gabapentin as it is not effective anymore. I believe from experience long term use is not a great idea!"

EskieLuver (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2015

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Took this med for 4 days. It made me dizzy and tired all the time. On the third night I started to have nightmares, which I never had before. So on to another med to try for my pain."

Gdunk April 24, 2015

For Pain: "Took it for Inguinal Hernia (Post-op Pain). Wow. Wow. Wow. That's all I can say. This medicine finally, finally let me have my life back. Back in Oct 2014 I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. It really hurt, it felt like someone was always tugging at my testicle (I know, great right?) and groin pain, and I couldn't work out, and it was terrible. Anyway, I had surgery in early Dec 2014 and I definitely felt better, but the testicle pain NEVER went away. I went to the surgeon for 3-4 follow-ups and some days the pain was better and others worse, but it never went away. Long story short, Gababentin finally took away 95-99% of the pain. I started first month on 300mg, 3x day. Now after 2 months I'm going to 600mg 3x a day. It's not perfect, but I'm getting close!"

Mbs199 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

For Neuropathic Pain: "It really helps my nerve pain but it's making my face look bloated."

Heartinflag (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "After 8 months of sleep problems caused by anxiety started to take 3x300mg. First two days were amazing. No more anxiety when falling a sleep and during a day. After 5 days started to noticing anxiety again so went up to 600x2 300x1. Its totally miracle drug. No more anxiety, I feel calm and relax with social situations and have proper deep sleep. I love it!"

Carpiu April 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Neurontin for a month now. This medicine was given to me for chronic neck pain from an injury 30 years ago. I did not mention to the neurologist that I suffered from severe anxiety and panic disorder, I was taking at least 1 dose of Xnax daily for daily panic attacks. Since starting on neurontin I have only had to take Xanax 1 time, I am not in chronic pain any longer. This medication has changed my life in so many ways. My husband told me in tears that he has his wife back. My work has completely changed around, I love my job again, I love life again, and I am pain free!!!!!!"

No more Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was Rx'd gabapentin to address the agitated/mood-swingy feelings I still had after being Rx'd Lamictal to address my highly recurrent depression. Lamictal addresses the big problem of depression and gabapentin is like the final touch that makes things peaceful/balanced. I take 3-400 mg right before work (PRN) and I can get through the day stable, calm and able to focus on what I need to do. If I forget to take a dose, I'll finally realize how agitated/emotional I am by around 10:30. I'll take my dose and within an hour I'm back to normal. It's really great. No side-effects that I notice. I take it PRN, like a benzo replacement, so sometimes I'll take 2-300 mgs in the afternoon if I think something stressful is coming up. Great med!"

Good Stuff! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Extreme peripheral neuropathy in both legs from knee down. Without drug I have extreme burning sensation and muscle cramps in those areas. I had been on 60 mg. Methadone for about 20 years for joint and muscle pain. When I first took Gabapentin I got side effects of extreme nausea, headaches, and general around not feeling well so I stopped taking the Gabapentin. A new doctor insisted I stopped taking the Methadone pending an electric neural stimulator insertions to my spine. I detoxed from the Methadone at 5 mg. a week and after twelve weeks I was off it. When I started taking the Gabapentin it worked superbly, problems reduced about 90-95%. Shift to 40-50 mg. Percocet per day took care of joint/muscle pain about as well as Methadone."

Richard S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "Please don't take this medication. I have anxiety and fibromyalgia and I am prescribed 800 MG three times a day. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I ran out of Neurontin 5 days ago. The withdrawal has been terrible. I know, Neurontin "doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms" but it does, and I've read all over the internet that I am not alone. I have quit opiate pain killers cold turkey and over came a severe cocaine addiction in my youth, these things are child's play compared to not having Neurontin. I was sweating, shivering, constipated, and the anxiety made me consider checking into a psych ward and asking them to throw away the key, I cried for hours, I can't express how horrific it was and I read it can last a year!"

Firesqurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2015

For Migraine: "I take 1800 mg for the last three months. I have suffered aquired brain injury from viral encephalitis. One of my main problems is ice pick headaches and ringing in both ears. While I have been taking this medication my neurologist recommend that I also receive Botox injections. Also with no help, next injections take place in two weeks. I was informed that the first time of injections do not expect to much."

Oromocto April 13, 2015