User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 289 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 584 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by veteran20052007:

For Anxiety: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder survivor! Thriver now! This medicine gave me my life back! Only side effect so far is depression if I come down for too long. DR adjusted my dose and its perfect.

December 11, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by Audrey McCabe (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been taking Gabapentin 100MG twice daily for 3 weeks now for generalized anxiety and don't feel much of an improvement. Next time I see my psychiatrist I will ask for an increase in my dosage and maybe that will help.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by Dukie's Mom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cough: I have been taking gabapentin solution (liquid) for just over three years for postherptic neuralgia. I had terrible coughing, phlegm and even fluid in my ear from the prescription from one manufacturer but not from a different manufacturer.

November 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by kate s.:

For Anxiety: I have found both Neurontin and generic Gabapentin to be very useful for treating my anxiety disorder. For me, I would not use anything else. It works well for my mother too. I am so glad it is in my life and so are my family and friends.

November 22, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by Repeated weight gain:

For Hot Flashes: I was prescribed 100mgx3 Gabapentin increased to 300mg x3, worked a little on sweating but after a few months I noticed I had gained weight. Soon it was spiraling out of control and before I knew it, I had gained almost 20 lbs! Discontinued use, (I had no withdrawal). Went back to my normal size in a few weeks and tried to take the Gabapentin again. Seemed okay at first, then the weight came back again. I am also on Amitriptyline, which I saw some one mention earlier. Also had dizziness and difficulty urinating. Nothing is worth the weight gain.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by kretsim:

For Anxiety: I wasn't sure about how anxious I was on a daily basis. I tried to self medicate with nicotine and caffeine but the caffeine just added to my anxiety..I was put on 100mg twice a day as needed. I like this med. My anxiety has decreased by at least 30 to 40%. Just after my first dose. I am going to take gabapentin every 8 hours from now on. That should cover me during the day at evening. That leaves me with 8 hours of sleep in which I don't need the medication. My doc said I can take up to 200mg at a time but I am not sure if I am going to do that. I don't wanna be on such a high dose. Things are slightly better than they were before I took the pill and for now, it's all I need.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 6:17 PM

Review by Anameleth (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For : I slipped a disc in my back in May 2006 at the age of 17. My doctor prescribed 900mg of Gabapentin (300mg 3x daily) to decrease the amount of inflammation, which was causing severe back pain, and the loss of feeling in my feet and legs. It is now October 2014 and I am still taking it. My doctor recently increased my dosage to 1200mg daily (600mg 2x daily), due to rheumatoid arthritis symptoms in my hands. This medicine is amazing! Such a God send. When I take it regularly, I have almost no symptoms from my back injury and have only a little soreness and stiffness in my hands.

October 25, 2014 2:58 AM

Review by Riebayy:

For Insomnia: I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for about 5 months now, so my doctor put me on Lexapro. When I went back, they prescribed me a higher dosage, causing me not to sleep but maybe 3 hours all together throughout the night. I told my doctor and she gave me Neurontin 200mg and it has helped me very much! It does work the way I expected. It doesn't just help you sleep, it lets you rest! And that is what I surely did need.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by tangodancer101:

For Fibromyalgia: My new doctor just prescribed Neurontin. For the first time in years, I had a good night's sleep and woke up with less pain and stiffness. It's the first "Good morning" I can truly say. Only 300 mg dosage. Thrilled. My previous doctor tried other medications, always an epic failure. My new doctor listened to my "story", paid attention, and believed me when I brought up my Fibromyalgia.

October 24, 2014 8:59 AM

Review by charlie....:

For Neuropathic Pain: Ive got 2 slipped discs in my lower back resting on nerves and effecting my bladder.I was in agony for 6 mths and was given drugs that didnt help at all,just recently ive been put on pregabline an gabapentine and the pain has gone but without them I'd b in agony but the drugs do make me feel like I'm drunk and carnt walk and my vision an memory short term bt better than being in the agony I was in.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by tjl70:

For Migraine: I broke my arm and severely messed my back up in a car accident. I have had sciatic pain for 2 year. With Percocet, gabapentin and Zanaflex I am able to function correctly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by Donna M.:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Neurontin for several years. I take it along with Zoloft for bi-polar disorder. All I can say is that it works for me!

October 19, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Blessedgranny:

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: After having shingles (most painful experience I have ever had) the nerve pain came and I didn't know there was help. Went to follow up appointment and they gave me Gabapentin and IT WORKED. I am still on and will stay on as I feel it is allowing me to live life. I have been out of work after 2 weeks in hospital and the recovery with nerve pain since 8-6-14 returning 11-13-14 and saying prayers I can live normally. Side effects worth the good effects. Remembering a word, stuttering, dizzy, blurred vision I'll take it over the pain any day. I am NOT a medicine person, it is the only medicine I take at 57 years old. Worth a try for sure.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 11:03 AM

Review by Gemprid (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Epilepsy: I take 1500mg daily, morning, noon mid afternoon, tea time and evening. They have kept my fits away .

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by DDG23 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I was lucky enough to find this "off purpose" use for Gabapentin while searching for something else entirely ! I can honestly say the results are astonishingly great...I no longer feel as though I'm being microwaved 20 times a day. Additionally, it has helped me be much less fearful/tentative when driving on the freeway to and from work. I am normally very "tightly wound", and I now truly understand what it feels like to be calm and without that constant, nagging worry feeling. This is a game-changer for me !!

October 16, 2014 2:20 AM

Review by Bosnacium:

For Pain: I was diagnosed with neck hernia on c5/c6 with arthritis and Gabapentin (paired with Physical Therapy exercises foam roller) truly helped out. The one interesting thing about Gabapentin is that it somehow knocked out my anxiety as well. It was real nice to be able to take a medicine which left me with no side effects but also improved on another condition. I found out that taking Gabapentin with soda (I use Ginger-Ale) actually helps absorb it better than taking it with water. My dosage was 3600mg per day. It's worth mentioning that you probably shouldn't drive when you take Gabapentin. Every human is different so try it out, see what works for you. This medicine has the ability to make things appear more 'vivid' while enhancing music/sound as well.

October 5, 2014 8:42 PM

Review by Dr44Mr45:

Gralise (gabapentin) for : Dizziness and highly increased appetite

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by babylegs (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started taking gabapentin experimentally to treat chronic depression and am now prescribed 1800mg a day. At doses of 2700mg I experienced a significant improvement in impulse control and depression in general. Went from being a shut in, to going for walks and enjoying my time in the company of others. At the lower dose of 1800mg a day, I don't experience much improvement, save for a decrease in depressive symptoms. I'm looking forward to a larger dose if my doctor okays it.

September 24, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by pags (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have been taking gabapentin in significant doses (900mg/4xday). When it is time for me to take a dose my upper back and my arms will begin to tingle and become cold and my hands will begin to burn. If I wait my arms and back will become very cold and no amount of heat will help. Once I take my dose my symptoms will subside in 15 to 30 minutes. I take my gabapentin with a 5 mg tab of oxycodone which I take for a variety of serious pain and I think that the combination is much more effective for dealing with neuropathy. I have not found any studies that support my observation. I suffer no side effects from this medication.

September 22, 2014 3:13 AM

Review by Rosie Posy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I took one pill and had more anxiety than normal, did not help pain and lay in bed awake all night. Took it again..... Same thing. More anxiety than normal and muscle spasms are horribly intense. I will be calling my doctor Monday. This medicine did the opposite of what it was supposed to. It is definitely not for me.

September 21, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Being Bipolar is not all bad (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I love gapapentin! I take 600 - 1200 mg a day and I am happy again. I was on other medicines plus Celexa for depression but still had horrible anxiety and crazy mood swings. I now take my gapapentin and 100 mg of Seroquel and I have no anxiety and I feel better overall. I am not really sleepy either.

September 19, 2014 4:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I have a bulging disc (C4) which traps a nerve leading to severe pain in my right shoulder (at worst) and a near constant tingling and semi-numbness in my left lower arm and hand (at best). I've taken Gabapentin before and had been reluctant to try them again because of the drowsiness, fatigue and general weirdness I felt the last time, but the pain got the better of me and so I capitulated. I take 1200mg 3 times a day and so far the sharp shoulder pain has gone, however the tingling has not. Apart from having great difficulty coming to full wakefulness on a morning, I feel completely hyperactive and a little manic- not a bad thing as I'm getting a lot done!

September 19, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Inchicago (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I've had insomnia for 30 years. Starting taking Gabapentin. Well I'm up at 3:00 and I will never fall a sleep. It has made my Insomnia worse. Racing heart beat, skipping beats, Tongue is swelled up, Facial skin has a rash. Plus red itching eyes and stomach noisy and feels uncomfortable. I'm really so very disappointed. With these side effects so soon. I would be doing myself so much harm to continue this Medication. I'm glad it works for people you are saved from this awful plight of acute insomnia.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by nimuex (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: Prescribed 360mg for intense pain in feet caused by mortons neuromas and inflammation of brain. Have taken only 100mg at night. Experiencing increasing eye pain. Resolved to stop taking and seek urgent referral to neuro opthalomagist

September 18, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by Megstoo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I was put on gabapentin right after back surgery on my L4 L5 S1 S2 lower lumbar spine. After 2 years from surgery I still remain on this medicine due to permanent nerve damage. This medicine managed to calm my nerves at night and get rid of the pain allowing me to fall asleep. I am on 200 mg a night but sometimes only need 100mg. It has been a lifesaver. I don't take this during the day due to the drowsiness side effect but it works wonderful. I do wake up extremely thirsty though.

September 16, 2014 10:54 AM