User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 293 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 619 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by kayeLo:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on every type of class of bi-polar medications and the side effects were worse than the condition. I have been taking gabapentin at night for a year now and I love it. It does not make me fuzzy or groggy the next day and my moods are manageable most of the time. In the long term, I prefer gabapentin.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 9:37 PM

Review by Joy yoy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I did not sleep well for a over 30 years. Took Ambien for 15 years. Doctor hopped until my new doc prescribed gabapentin for restless leg & other things. I now sleep better than I have ever slept. It has changed my life. I dream & can concentrate. Wonderful.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 9:18 PM

Review by Very helpful (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I have idiopathic insomnia as well as sleep apnea. Although the CPAP helps the apnea, I still was waking up every hour or two during the night, never getting a restful night sleep. Then I was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain and discovered that it also works for my sleep. I wake rested and have much more energy. Apparently GABA helps increase slow wave sleep so I am dreaming more also.

February 28, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Ms maryland (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: It's changed my life. I can finally function with bipolar. I'm sleeping, calm, productive and I am not indecisive about everything everyday. I'm not drowsy and I can get up on time for work. I'm 45- it's been a 20 year struggle without it.

February 27, 2015 5:51 AM

Review by Tjmzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked for the first 3 months I took it. Went up gradually to 400mg 3x a day. After this time was up was when I was increased due to the mood swings becoming a lot worse. If only it worked for longer!!

February 23, 2015 9:48 PM

Review by Tradeguy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: I take 4 doses of 300mg Gabapentin every day, and it completely interrupts my regular daily pain cycle. It is also an excellent analgesic enhancer when taken with other pain meds. No side effects that other than mild sedation, and nothing like brain-numbing Lyrica.

February 13, 2015 6:03 PM

Review by ScottM99:

For Anxiety: Have tried every antidepressant on the planet, not working for anxiety. My doc gave me gabapenton 300mg twice a day, no help. I tried by mistake (long story) 600mg at once and it works! I discovered it works for about 6 hours, so now I take 600mg twice a day. That gets me through the day. I pray it keeps working.

February 10, 2015 11:45 AM

Review by DallasGrl77:

For Migraine: My Neuro put me on Gabapentin 300m every night, and I went from chronic migraines 3-5 a mth, to only 1-2 a month. If I take my Sumatriptan as soon as I feel a migraine coming on (along with ice bag rotating on my head) it goes away within an hour or two. Miracle medications! They have saved my life!

February 6, 2015 2:19 AM

Review by headcase2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Very good medicine. Taking 200 to 300mg daily for anxiety, racing thoughts, poor sleep etc. Have been on lamotrigine and risperidone for supposed BPD for years. Everything they can't get rid of, gabapentin does. Never realized there was still so much room for improvement! One other thing. For me, MSG or any free glutamate sets off severe anxiety and migraines. Some of you may have similar problem, so think about your diet too. For me gabapentin provides fast relief from a 'meal mistake'. Benzodiazepines worked pretty well for me, but now that I have this, bye bye. I used to use alcohol more than I should, but now don't feel the need too.

January 31, 2015 2:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Just took first dose. Haven't felt this good in a long time. Been on many medications.

January 28, 2015 9:00 PM

Review by Kk283 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on Neurontin for 3 months now for anxiety. I started at 100 mg 3x a day and now at 600 mg 3x a day and very happy with that dose. I very rarely have to take my Vistaril. Before taking this my anxiety got so severe that I actually feared planes crashing on top of me every time I heard one go by. I only experienced mild sedation when I started it and it is gone now. No other side effects. It may not work for everyone, but I would definitely recommend giving it a try to anyone who's doctor recommends it!

January 26, 2015 6:51 PM

Review by Alice47 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I am 70 and was still having hot flushes more than 20 times in 24 hours, it was showing no signs of ending - ever. My GP was reluctant to give me HRT again because of my age and the fact that I had a mild heart attack 20 years ago, but she gave me Gabapentin, and it works! I only take 300mg at night and never have a hot flush or night sweat now. It is a relief after all these years to be free of the horrible feeling of heat, nausea and pallpitations. The only down side is light headedness and feeling tired. I don't think I could take a higher dose because of this, hopefully I won't need to.

January 22, 2015 3:03 AM

Review by Lanec:

For Pain: I can exercise now in less pain. Make sure you get the correct dosage that you feel comfortable with. If you take too little of a dosage, you may still have pain and lose hope in the medicine. It happened to me. I ended up doubling my dosage from 300mg to 600mg a day and feel so much better. I take 300mg twice a day as needed. I was originally on 100mg a day and it did nothing for me. Most people start off with 300mg.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 5:35 PM

Review by college student (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I started off with a relatively low dose of 300mg once a day. After starting the medication, I began to pass out regularly and could not see straight. My anxiety did not change. I returned to my psychiatrist and he lowered the dosage to 100mg, once a day and although I no longer experience side effects, I still have not noticed any changes to my anxiety and suffer anxiety attacks daily.

January 20, 2015 9:50 PM

Review by Heather720 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Occipital Neuralgia: I've been on gabapentin for a little less than 2 months. I was having a headache 5-6 times a week. I'm down to 1 time a week now. It has delayed my period and caused me to be 5 days late but no other side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 7:55 PM

Review by A.P:

For Neuropathic Pain: 20 years plus of left arm pain. Been on just about everything from aspirin to 180mg morphine 3x a day. I am a veteran from the marine corp so my meds came from the VA. But I was given this medication once and I took it for a day and it did not work, so I set it aside. I took myself of all meds except Ultram. Started to take to much. M.D told me better take it easy or you will be cut from meds at VA. Once again I was prescribed gabapentin. Three times a day. After a week of taking it, I thought to myself WOW what's going on here. Cutting back on Ultram and this stuff is working. I have been through so so, so, much. I have thought about harming myself because of my pain. First thing that works. Thanks for helping people like me.

January 19, 2015 11:54 AM

Review by Shelly Lynn:

For Anxiety: After a hard divorce at a young age I became an addict meds. When I searched for help I found an amazing doctor that I feel cares about my well being not just there to give me meds. One of the medications he had given me was Neurontin(gabapentin) and it has helped not only with my anxiety but I also get horrible sciatic nerve pain ( when I'm sitting for long periods of time and at night when I'm sleeping) it has helped so much. I can take it during the day which helps my anxiety and at night helps me get a good night sleep as well as the nerve pain. I would recommend this medication for anyone struggling with these issues. I hope this helped just one person.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by tDanielleb:

For Migraine: I have been taking this for 2 months now. The first month I still had several horrible headaches. This second month I have yet to have one. Which is fantastic for me. I am having a slight problem keeping my emotions down. I seem to be very sad and lack energy. I am hoping that this will level out with time, because it works fantastic on my headaches.

January 15, 2015 1:59 AM

Review by bryan72 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I am 42 yes old and have had social anxiety my whole life. It's been hard to deal with. I became an addict because I couldn't cope. After serving in the military I went to the VA for help. I was on so many medicines I can't remember them all. Gabapentin has changed my life. Been completely clean for years and no anxiety.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 2:48 PM

Review by Ngrant215:

For Anxiety: In one day I felt so much better! No jitters, nervousness and no pain. I used to shake when anxiety was high, so much I hurt everywhere! I now have fibromyalgia with anxiety, but I feel normal! Eating well, maybe to much snacky stuff due to the neuro meds, working out, cleaning the house. I'm back! It's a stoned feeling at first then you get used to it.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 11:52 PM

For Migraine: I was taking Topamax 200 mg every day for my monthly migraines and it was working well until I went to my eye doctor and he checked the pressure in my eyes. I had a high pressure in my left eye so my doctor put me on gabapentin. I take 200 mg every day and its been great. Even when I do get a migraine its very muted and very tolerable. Great medicine!

January 2, 2015 9:41 PM

Review by Fifi London (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: I have taken Neuorontin for over five years. I have Multiple Sclerosis and lots of nerve pain. This medicine works...But it will change your personality. BEWARE.. can make you violent. However for nerve pain best medicine out there.

December 28, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by ToddL (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: I started having headaches, pressure, and a hangover like feeling in the mornings about a year ago. In early December 2014 I was diagnosed with migraines which were causing my issues. My neurologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin and I felt great from 12/5-12/20. I started getting the morning hangover feeling again on 12/21. My neurologist is now upping the dosage, hope it gets me back to that point/place.

December 26, 2014 6:25 PM

Review by wbr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I'm an MST and PTSD survivor and this stuff along with Lyrica restored me in about a week. Medication that affects SSRI cannot even compare when it comes to treating my condition. I feel like myself again! I don't even need alcohol anymore! I'm still depressed but I can finally breathe again without having a panic attack. Highly recommended to those with severe anxiety or Post traumatic stress disorder. The side effects are mundane at best.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by OmaNe:

For Insomnia: My doctor suggested gabapentin for my leg cramps/restless legs and insomnia. I was unable to sit for any period of time without my legs causing discomfort and would have very painful leg cramps. I would find it hard to get to sleep and would wake up at 2 or 3 am every night. I have been taking gabapentin for a month and am very pleased....I have not experienced any of the severe symptoms that have been described by others.

December 17, 2014 11:04 AM