User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 291 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 873 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I went on gabapentin for alcoholism that troubled me for 10 years when nothing including Alcoholics Anonymous barely worked. I read anecdotal information that it helped with alcoholism, went on 600mg twice daily and it was the first thing that helped me. Now I take 1200mg twice daily and find it works great! Afterwards I read a study in the Journal of American Medicine, Gabapentin in Alcohol Dependance, 2014 that confirmed it works well in many people for cravings and binge drinking. This medicine should be further studied to confirm it works well. On this site it is obvious it helps a lot of people struggling with alcoholism which I have, along with Bipolar Disorder. I call Gabapentin my" happy pills" that also takes away my anxiety."

Malibu1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "My Doctor just prescribed this to me today, 300 mg once a day for 2 days, and then 2 a day for 2 days, and then 3 a day thereafter. He said it would make me really tired, as I am also on methadone. But I took the one before I was gonna go to bed, and I cannot sleep at all. I am so anxious and on edge right now.. This medication is definitely not for me...I took it a couple hours ago and I'm thinking about making myself puke because its time release so maybe it's not all in me yet? That is how bad this anxiety is. And since I'm on methadone, I no longer am prescribed Valium. So this really sucks as I don't have anything to take this edge off."

Jhuhv February 5, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Was prescribed gabapentin for back pain but noticed very quickly that my night sweats and hot flashes greatly diminished after starting this medication. I also sleep better and don't wake up as often. This has been a blessing due to the fact that I am unable to take any medication normally prescribed for menopausal symptoms due to having thrombosis years ago. :)"

Tanner13 February 5, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Gabapentin is the only med that has worked for me. I have had Fibro for 15 years. I had to quit work because of Fibro. Doctors have put me on all the other approved meds for Fibro and no way! I take 100 mg twice a day and 800 mg at bedtime. I still feel tired and can't do what I want to do, but I'm much much better than I was before Gabapentin. My worse problem is trigger points nearly all over my body. I have to go to get deep tissue massages for that problem. REALLY helps. Good luck to all of you!"

Suelouie February 4, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I've just been put on these gabapentin yesterday for an on going back problem in which no one knows what it can be, physio, doctors hospital I've been referred to back specialists. I took one yesterday 300mg then 2 today and then 3 a day then onwards but when does it start working because am in agony. I am also on naproxin for pain nothings working"

Koozy February 4, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have severe sciatica due to lower back degeneration. I also have what I believe to be lipedema, a fat metabolism disorder which causes severe leg pain. I was told that I had lymphedema and then vascular disease. My legs are symmetrically out of proportion with my upper body and chronically swollen. Very difficult. Anyway, I'm taking Percocet and I started pain management last week and the Dr wanted me to try gabapentin again, as I have used it before. I've had/have a clotting disorder blood clots. I can't take NSAIDs. I took it last night and this morning and I actually was able to walk down the stairs. Dr told me gabapentin is NOT for the pain as that is what I thought. It's for the inflammation"

Gingern February 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking this for bipolar 2 disorder and am prescribed Xanax for anxiety. My doctor started me out at 100mg of gabapentin (3x/day) after using Topamax to treat my bipolar disorder. The Topamax worked great for my mood, but caused me to lose too much weight, and constant parathesias in my arms, legs and even face. This medication works the same way without the side effects! (I'm now at 300mg 3x/day) I haven't even had need for my Xanax because this helps so much with my anxiety, as well! And it doesn't make me drowsy like Xanax does. I'm so happy I came across this and asked my doctor to try it. I hated antipsychotics but wanted to control my symptoms. I thought that was a no win situation, but gabapentin is my answer!"

Brvvke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Pain: "For over 6 months severe pain from diabetic neuropathy and nephropathy - constant 6 to 9 in almost every major joint in the body - shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, feet - except right hip - 3.... not helped at all by musculoskeletal pain killers. Gabapentin at 900 mg halved those pain levels ... but increased legs edema by 10% and scales weight by 2kg, and added lower back pain stenosis at 8 - discovered that liquid morphine sorted that out. Even if back not sorted it would still have been wonderful just to have a change in what hurt."

thomasruss4 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Does not make me dizzy or overly tired. Most doctors don't know how to dose it or prescribe it. A lot of doctors don't know much about shingles either. They know it is for pain so they treat it like a narcotic. It is not habit forming and not a controlled substance. It does take 2 or three days to start working though. I was misdiagnosed at the ER after I told them I thought it was shingles. They said I had facial cellulitis and put me on the wrong meds for two days, during which I suffered through the peak of the attack. "

nickname BS February 2, 2016

For Pain: "I started gabapentin last night; although it was prescribed a week ago. I have very serious allergies and even though the doctor cleared the medicine, I was afraid to have a reaction. I was/am also afraid of the side effects. I am still trying to lose weight after a full thyroidectomy so I don't want to gain anything else. Anyway I was prescribed this for intractable migraines. I took my first 300 mg pill last night as the neck pain I experience prior to some migraines, was riding up the back of my neck. I swear the pain diminished in less than 5 minutes. I did not expect that...weird. Tonight I felt the same pain so I took the pill as scheduled. Again the pain lessened. I had no migraine today so that is amazing for me. So far so good."

Mrs. Ali February 2, 2016

For Insomnia: "my hubby has been on the med since Sept 2015. It is not working.. they put him on the Gaba to remove the morphine. In the last 4 weeks by 11pm he is wide awake in pain and in tears. In the last 2 weeks the heavy pressure on his right side just below the shoulder is worse each time. He has developed a cold that will not go away starting in Nov. We see the Doc on Feb 3rd. He is taking a sleep aid and med for really bad headaches. I am so afraid of what will happen when the next dose falls. We have been married for 24 years. He has had problems with drugs and drink all his life from 9 years of age on.. yep .. people 9 years of age.. Started smoking pot and drinking.. "

blue star mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "At first this drug helped my pain...however prolonged use of this drug caused many terrible side effects.... Serious and Scary..confusion, dizzy spells, nausea, buzz noise in my head, anger ,hostility, distrust, clumsy, & on &on......."

Tee $tl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "I take on 300mg of Gabapentin and one Trazadone one hour before bedtime with absolutely remarkable results! 20 years of chronic insomnia and trying every treatment with minimal success. This is the miracle combination...love it! The only side effect is vivid dreams."

Happy Dreams January 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "Anxiety symptoms have worsened as I've titrated from 300 mg to 600 mg a day. Not the right drug for me, I fear."

hnella January 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am taking this medicine for Borderline Personality disorder. It has helped a lot of my symptoms. I have been sleeping better, my moods are much better, my "splitting" has even gotten better. It is definitely making me less depressed, too. I recommend this medicine for anyone with these symptoms or other mental conditions. My thigh has varicose veins and that has gotten better which is a bonus because I'm not taking it for pain. I really think this drug needs to be approved for Bipolar disorder (though I don't have it) and Borderline Personality Disorder. I hope I never have to quit taking it."

JeremyMG16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I cannot even tell people enough how much this medicine has saved my life. If you struggle with bipolar 2 or mood disorders this medicine is perfect for you. I am so stable when I am on this and feel 10x happier overalls". I take this with your adderall and lexapro, regardless I gaurentee this medicine will work for almost anyone. Also, you need to take at least 300 MG to feel the effects."

Emilyx713 January 21, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "At first I thought the gabapentin was going to work for my fibromyalgia, but after about a week I began experiencing headaches from nowhere!! Same with amytriptiline, Savella, Lyrica and Cymbalta. I am sensitive to and get migraines from every medication that is used to treat the pain of fibromyalgia."

Cootsgal January 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety and insomnia. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and had a tough time getting used to my CPAP and didn't sleep for several nights in a row. The first night I took the Gabapentin I slept! And I've slept every night since then. I take 800 mgs during the day and 800 mgs at night for 1600 total. I sleep between 7 and 9 hours every night now. My neurologist also told me that Gabapentin increases slow wave sleep. Before my CPAP (and the Gabapentin) I was getting no N3 slow wave sleep at all. So this drug is amazing for sleep, for me at least."

EuroAtHrt (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was started on Garbapentin for a herniated cervical disc. At first I was put on 900 mg, which wasn't really helping so my doctor bumped me up to 1800 mg a day. I've always been somewhat depressed and anxious... I got a side effect I did not bargain for. Not only did it help my pain, but my mood has been the best it has in years! I feel happy!!! Calmer. I can tell as soon as I miss a dose because my mood changes. I Hope my doctor lets me take this once my pain is gone. Usually side effects suck, this medication is not only a pain med but a happy pill."

Candi0207 January 20, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I was taking gabapentin 1x- 300mg in the am & 2x-300mg @bedtime for about 5 years it did wonders for my fibromyalgia however I still did get breakthrough flare ups ever once in a while but it helped with the pain took off the edge so I could function. Well recently it's been crazy because it just stopped working & for 2 months I was in an ongoing Flare. So my rheumey dr said lets try lyrica, and wean u off gaba - it huge mistake. Lyrica was horrible it did nothing for the pain I had awful side effects , severe nausea, headaches, stomach upsets, & the worse of these were severe muscle cramping! I'm now getting back on the Gaba took a break so maybe it will work again I prefer Gabapentin."

gypsypickles318 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm 53 and have fibromyalgia. I was at the end of my tether with the pain. A new doctor put me on Gabapentin. I take 200mg 3 x a day. It has literally changed my life. My pain levels have reduced dramatically, I don't wake up with the 'fibro fog' and my energy levels are as a 'normal' person's would be. It was been a revelation!"

Spooks January 18, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been on it and other medications for a year and I've been in a mental hallucination.. I now have what I call attacks..I've mentally gone crazy.. I just learned last night that the other medications are interacting with it.. I'm at a lose, my husband and I are scared to say out loud what's happening they would lock me up.. I'm mentally, physically and emotionally drained I'm scared to stop medications never know who or what I'll become everyone thinks I'm faking and now have lost my family mother included. I'm scared for My Life. I was three different persons last night most scariest thing to experience. I've been on the road never a same Dr. "

Can she be saved faithless January 17, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have been having hot flushes day and night for 16 years 1 every 2 hours i live in Spain and cannot sit in the sun as when I get a hot flush I nearly pass out. Then I found out about Gabapentin from researching, OMG what a transformed person I am!! I take 300mg twice a day, I am so happy they have disappeared. A big whoopee from me."

Carole2708 January 16, 2016

For Pain: "I was taking gabapentin for about 4 months and it really helped with the side effects and pain from Stenosis in my lower back which is trapping my sciatic nerve. However due to my ankles swelling and weight gain my doctor has switched me to Lyrica and OMG I'm only on day 3 and I want off it. Have decided to return to taking gabapentin as the side effects are nothing like I am experiencing now."

jules65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Pain: "Was prescribed gabapentin for. Restless burning legs at nite 300 mg. I heard some bad review is so didn't really take it. Got hurt at work aggravating my sciatica in my left leg and knee to the point that nothing took the pain away. So I started taking 600 mg 2 times a day and I can say so far it definitely gives me about 75/90 % relief of my sciatic pain especially when I take Motrin 800 mg with it. Hope it continues to work"

Biggdaddy444 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016