User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 1 reviews 292 medications

Small Fiber Neuropathy 2 reviews 0 medications

2.3
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 989 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Gabapentin, for neuropathy, not diabetic, a smoker, treated with interferon for 13 months. I am female, 65 years of age. Dosage, 800 mg, 4 tablets a day. It did help with the neuropathy, I noticed no side effects. Then I read that Gabapentin could attribute to weight gain if taken with prescription pain medication. So, I quit taking it cold turkey. I was not informed by my neurologist to not just stop taking this medication. Within a few months I became ill. I was fatigued, couldn't think or remember properly but, didn't know what was wrong with me. I was fired after 6 years of service. One day I decided a gabapentin would help. Within 30 minutes, I was Marlyn again and overjoyed. I have since read withdrawal can take up to a year."

Office Manager May 29, 2016

For Pain: "I am a 20 year chronic pain survivor. I tried this med years ago after anterior and posterior spinal fusion of L1-S1 it made me dopey, sleepy, and confused. I am write this review because my mom was recently hospitalized with severe sciatic pain, a week after failed injections the "pain specialist" felt this was the best route for her pain. she is 68 yo and sharp as a tack. I watched her all week get more and more short term memory loss, confusion, loss of words! basically symptoms of early Alzheimer's which there is no history of. there has been no pain relief to speak of. I am demanding they stop this nightmare tomorrow. I have read several other blogs that people are have the same issues and they are 30 years younger."

mama's girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed GABA by my doctor for insomnia. I find it does help to keep me asleep once I get there. I agree it doesn't put me right to sleep however I find that it does allow me to relax my brain and body so they're not going 100 miles an hour which then allows me to fall asleep. I was told to only take it if I had 7 or 8 hours dedicated for sleep so what I found was this. When I take it and am allowed to sleep a full 8 hours before getting up I feel great in the morning. If I take it and have to get up in 6 hours I'm disoriented in the morning and vision is blurry. So with that being said and knowing it takes a couple hours to fall asleep after taking this I've learned my time table of when I take it where I get the best results."

True Believer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "HI on 100mg of gabapentine ears are starting to feel swollen inside also terrible flatulence which smells like rotton eggs ? been on for 4 days thanks"

sue0505 May 19, 2016

For Pain: "I jammed my hip about 6 weeks ago. It had been sore and hurting, but starting 10 days ago the sciatic pain was running down my right leg constantly. I was eating Aleve and Advil. Heat did not help. Ice did not help. I could barely walk. I even had to take a day off work because I could not get in a comfortable position. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and had no effect on the pain. I had taken Gabapentin before when I had a pinched nerve in my neck from a car accident and the pain was running down my are. I called my doctor yesterday and asked him if he would call me some in. He did. 100mg, 3 times per day. I can already tell a difference. The shooting, stabbing pain running down my leg through my foot has subsided."

Legal Assistant (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "It honestly helps a lot for my nerve pain, I get it super bad in my arms and It helps so much. I only notice the pain if I don't take it. I take right now 900 ml. I would be in so much more pain without this. It's a blessing. Also I for some reason never get tired from this. I never get tired or anything and can take it in the morning if I forget. It does nothing for my insomnia. Idk if I have a rare reaction to it or what, but my doctor finds it funny. Ha ha"

Nachsie (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2016

For Pain: "Works ok for my degenerative back joint disease. Only problem I have is headaches, but ibuprofen takes care of that. Slight manageable dizziness and blurred vision. I Take about 1800 mg per day. Eat a lot too!!!"

MiNDRiOTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety after my doctor realized that I had an addiction to atavan. No amount of atavan could help my anxiety. I wasn't sleeping, could barely function and was calling into work sick very often. The first night I took gabapentin I finally slept through the night and I made it through an entire week of work without calling in sick. My anxiety hasn't completely vanished but gabapentin has been such a life saver. I'm currently on 200mg three times a day (sometimes I take an extra 100mg if it's a bad day). I highly recommend it"

Alyssamadeleine May 13, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "After surgical menopause kicked in, I experienced severe and debilitating hot flashes. Upon speaking to my PCM, I was prescribed gabapentin. I took it at night, so I had a restful nights sleep. I no longer had the hot flashes during the day either, so happy! However, I saw my GYN to discuss other possibilities; estidol was choice at that time. Unfortunately the hot flashes started back up as soon as I stopped taking the gabapentin. I tried to stay with the hormone, but after a month of sleepless nights and severe hot flashes, I gave up! My choice most definitely is the gabapentin, no question about it!!!!"

Impractical (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have been on gabapentin 3 months ago. I take 600 mg 3 times a day. I alsi helps with my nerve pain from diabetic neuropathy. This medication has been a life changer"

tammymelton1972 May 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Ok, its funny i found this page because its perfect for what I want to say. I'm Diabetic and my foot doc gave me Gabapnetin for the pain and burning sensation in my feet. He gave me 300 mg and to take it 3 times daily. But I admit I now take 1500 mg at one shot in the morning. ( He said I can take more than what he gave me but he didn't get a chance to give me a new script. Anyway, it helps with my feet maybe 65% or so but don't care what anyone says no slurring, no falling a sleep or nodding out etc...) Its great and EFFECTIVE..."

Ron11235 May 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was taking duloxetine for my anxiety but because of some remaining anxiety, I became an extremely light sleeper and would only get about 2 hrs a night. Gabapentin was very much my savior and I now wake up once a night at most. And best, I wake up at 6AM extremely well rested."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I have taken 1600 mg of gabapentin since 12 yrs before menopause . It was THE medication that completely controls my cervical dystonia. Noticed that I did not have hot flashes post menopause as my friends complained of. But did finally start to have sleep disturbance. So after several tries with OTC supplements, non soy genistein takes care of that. From the first pill. I just don't dare miss taking it. It lets me know. Wish one or the other or both would help everyone."

10TanToes May 8, 2016

For Pain: "I had ongoing pain in my right leg due to stenosis, a cyst on my spine, and a number of issues with my lower vertebrae. I first went to a chiropractor but that didn't help. Had two injections at a pain clinic with very limited results. Went to a spine clinic and the doctor prescribed gabapentin. Went from one 300mg a day to three as prescribed. I have found much relief and have had some good nights of sleep after months of pain at night. I have not had the side effects described here except it took a couple of times to discover that my tolerance for alcohol is greatly reduced. That may not be a bad thing. I still have a lot of numbness and pain if I walk too far or stand too long but at least I can sleep at night ."

Donson May 7, 2016

For Insomnia: "This is my 3rd night of taking this. I went to my doctor because my depression and anxiety had come back full-force. I hadn't eaten hardly anything in 3 weeks and couldn't sleep but 3 hours a night. I was a walking zombie! She prescribed a SSRI and this and I have slept like a baby on 300 mgs a night plus melatonin. My anxiety has gone down at least 60% in two days and my depression has already lightened up - although that will take much longer but just getting some decent sleep undisturbed had really helped! A great side effect of this is that I used to have to get up 5 or 6 times a night to go to the bathroom and now I get up maybe once a night! What a relief!"

Eashon May 7, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "After a tussle with breast cancer I was prescribed tamoxifen and immediately started with the hot flushes. I was waking at least every hour at night and gradually turning into a sleep deprived wreck when I went to see the doctor. Initially she prescribed clonidine but that did virtually nothing. She then tried to give me fluoxitine but I read that you should not take that with tamoxifen so she changed it to gabapentin. From the first dose I got relief. I still get the flushes but they are more like gentle warming events than the full on sweating nightmares of before. It has changed my life. I wish this was more widely known as the change in the quality of life is so extreme."

Itsara May 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "600mg helps me to stay alsleep"

johndcravens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

For Pain: "I've been on it for 1 week now suffering from bad sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc S1-L5. I was taking 6-8 ibuprofen a day and was still in pain. With only the entry dose of 1 300mg a day and 2 ibuprophen a day I can function almost normally until this disc heals...absolutely amazing medication. I won't don't plan to ramp up to the 900mg a day, getting great results with the 300. I was a little fuzzy the first day, but fine after that."

Longnokr (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar skizzoaffective disorder and have been struggling with depression and not wanting to live for 2 years from a divorce. An anti depressant was finally given to me and life became okay again. But I was still having casual suicidal thoughts 2 to 3 times a week. When 300mg of Gabapentin a day was added the suicidal thoughts stopped. I can't even entertain that kind of thinking if I try. I finally feel normal!!!!"

trudyj1s (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Last year I was hospitalized due to my alcohol consumption. After this I have needed to completely stop. I have been experiencing extreme anxiety. I was recently prescribed gabapentin 600mg*3 times a day. This has helped a ton! I can finally relax and focus on getting my life together! It is definitely helping me through this rough time along with AA and other support groups."

og07limited (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medication is hopefully going to replace the clonazapam that I am currently taking. I have only been taking it a week but I have already felt some changes. My mood is happier, my anxiety is relieved. I feel my energy has improved, (sometimes a little too much) I get pretty chatty and when I have a few things to do, I have a tough time concentrating on just one and I find myself kind of bouncing around if that make sense..I have always been that way it seems like the meds have intensified it. I sometimes have a little trouble gathering my thoughts. The dose in the morning sometimes makes me sleepy so then I just drink like 2 red bulls and a monster and i'm good.;) Totally kidding!!!. I don't drink caffeine. Btw, I am taking 300 mg x3"

Nadafinga (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "My relief from night sweats was totally unexpected. I was prescribed Gabapentin, Valacyclovir and Prednisone for my first shingles outbreak (OMG - the pain). I constantly evaluated my symptoms and side effects for improvement or anything weird. After four days it occurred to me I had not had any night sweats (I don't know exactly when they stopped, because this was something I wasn't monitoring). I have had night sweats for years and always sleep with a fan beside my bed. So when I noticed no night sweats, I looked up all the medications to see if they affected night sweats. I checked Gabapentin last and was SHOCKED to see its association - and then I hit this forum. It was prescribed for nerve pain, but this side effect for me is AWESOME."

GabaFriend April 30, 2016

For Pain: "I have been taking gabapentin for about 6 years now. I have 2 collapsed discs in my sacroid spine which have been causing chronic pain for 9 years . I take 500mg 3 times a day but can increase it when the pain becomes unbearable. On the higher doses I do get drowsy, but in my normal dose it doesn't affect me. It just helps reduce the nerve pain. The only side effect I get is a dry mouth. At the moment I am suffering from shingles and it is a godsend. I have had shingles previously and wasn't taking gabapentin at the time and the neuropathy pain was awful. I also find it helps a bit with my fibromyalgia."

Mummymozzie (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I have severe restless leg, and have taken a succession of medication over the years, Requip, other medicines, baclofen, and gabapentin. I am now on 4- 20 baclofen, and 4 600 gabapentin. When I gert the right amount of medicine, I sleep. With out the right amount, I do not sleep. Life without sleep is VERRRRRY difficult. Yes I minimize my medications, but this seems to help, now."

daniel Post Polio April 29, 2016

For : "Having balance dizziness problem"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 27, 2016