User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Erythromelalgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperhidrosis 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Lhermitte's Sign 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Postmenopausal Symptoms 0 reviews 193 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Syringomyelia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Gabapentin reviews 543 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Gabapentin

Review by azgenereaux (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: Gabapentin not only helped with migraines, shortening their intensity, duration and also my recovery time afterward, but it also helped with spasticity, my duration and quality of sleep, muscle stiffness and pain and some cognition. I take it for issues surrounding traumatic brain injury and have had no negative side effects, but several positive ones.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by BigNick33 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: In mid May suffered a back injury after heavy squatting in the gym. The pain progressively became worse to the point where you couldn't stand/walk. The Dr (in a UK citizen) started me on Cocodamol and naproxen. This did not help, and I was unable to sleep for more than 2 hrs a night. I was then put on amitriptyline which did not work, as well as slow release morphine, still with no relief. Yesterday (25 Jul 2014) my Dr advised switching from amitriptyline to Gabapentin. I started on 3x300mg tablets. Last night I had my first full night sleep in 8 weeks. I cannot explain the relief I felt to wake up in the morning like a normal person again.

July 26, 2014 3:24 AM

Review by jeevgill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was taking Lamictal and Klonopin for a long time and doing very well on it. In 2010 I had to have a lumbar disk replacement from an old hockey injury in college. Sadly I got hooked on pain pills and when I finally stopped I was spending about 5k to 6k a month on pills which indicates how much I was taking. Since about Xmas of 2013 I have been going through a period of Major Depression and Severe anxiety. I just kept getting worse and worse and the Klonopin/Lamictal stopped working. I had a prescription of Gabapentin sitting in my drawer that I had been prescribed but stopped using because it was making me dizzy. I decided to try it our of desperation and all I can say is wow. My anxiety has gone from a 10 to a 2 and no side effects.

July 25, 2014 1:37 PM

Review by driving me nuts (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Psychiatric nurse decided to change antidepressant (trazodone). Caused psychotic episode. Hospitalized and psychiatrist decided not to put me back on antidepressant (Lexapro) that I was taking before trazodone. Bad move. They put me on gabapentin for several months. Angry most of the time. Irritable. Unhappy. Finally getting off gabapentin. Didn't help mood (made it worse), didn't help anxiety (I had to take more Ativan). The use of gabapentin was off label and a very bad idea.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 4:55 PM

Review by Roy s:

For Peripheral Neuropathy: Ex football player through NCAA and a little bit beyond. In my 40's after years of suffering I had a lumbar fusion followed 2 years later by cervical fusion..been on opiate pain relievers for 12 years. Of course many are familiar with what can happen with these medicines over a long period. Long story short, I am off the opiates, but still have my pain at age 56. Got Doc to prescribe Gabapentin. This is the first week and it's gotten rid of all the stiffness (I seize up muscularly with physical activity) and knocked out all but localized pain at the surgery sites. So I add Naproxen Sodium which also adds to the absorption of gabapentin. I'm functioning.

July 20, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Roy S (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: Lumbar fusion, cervical fusion. 12 years of opiate treatment for the pain led to a large tolerance for these medicines. I'm opiate free now. I have been put on Gabapentin. I love it. For me the build up of stiffness is more of a problem than the pain is. Don't get me wrong, it hurts!, but I seize up the more I do a physical activity. I'm on day 4. The stiffness is all gone. The pain is reduced to the lumbar area only, and only a 2 or 3 on the pain scale after a full day of housework. So many good reports out here, I thought I would share...thanks.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 9:53 PM

Review by hightsman:

For Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety disorder and have been on SSRI's and Benzodiazepines. The SSRI's made me manic. Zoloft, Buspar, Paxil...etc. I have been in 2 treatment programs and the hospital for harmful thoughts over the last 5 years. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and seemed to work real well. Then a follow up doc took me off and said I had to take an antidepresseant and Xanax to help me sleep. Huge mistake. Well I went back on the Gabapentin then off again because I thought it was causing a problem but it was really the Xanax. Now, I have been put back on it 300mg 3x a day. I also take a low dose of Remeron and trazodone to help me sleep. I think it is a good medication for anxiety and I hope this time I get good results like I did the first time I was on it.

July 17, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by jawbraker:

For Pain: I had a back injury in the Marine Corp in 1989 I have had 7-9 on the pain scale for over 15 years. I have been on morphine 30mgs 6 times a day, Vicodin 10/325 for over six years oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl patches 150 mg every 72 hours, almost any pain medicine you can think of. I stopped my Vicodin cold turkey after six years, If you have been on pain meds you know what withdrawal is and how painful it can be. I went right to gabapentin. Oh My God thank you for this pill it is amazing, absolutely zero withdrawal effects from the Vicodin and I was on over 300 mg a day for six years. I mean it zero withdrawal symptoms. I feel zero back pain and I mean zero. This pill is a miracle I'm on 900 mg 3 times a day.

July 15, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by JACKIE-LEEG THATS ME (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Small Fiber Neuropathy: I take 900 mg a day for neuropathy in my feet it was Effective at first but in time did not relieve my Pain. I have chronic Pain in my Feet Hands & Back.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 8:48 PM

Review by meglet:

For Restless Legs Syndrome: I've been taking 1800 mg of gabapentin for restless legs since April of this year..it has been wonderful. Plus, I get a tad drowsy..but, alas there is a problem..weight gain..I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and I continue to gain weight...15lbs since the end of April...what to do?

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: After a L5-S1 microdiscectomy, the disc reherniated and I was eventually diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. A couple of weeks prior to a scheduled spinal fusion, I developed an extremely severe case of flu and then a couple of weeks after that came Guillain-Barre Syndrome (a rare autoimmune form of peripheral neuropathy). I have been on 3600mg/day of gabapentin for 18mos and have been told I can expect to be on it for the "foreseeable future". While I still have days where my neuropathy is worse than others, this medicine has played a huge part in my having a better quality of life than I thought was possible with these two major conditions.

July 1, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by Satisfied dude (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I have a ruptured disc in my back (L5,S1) with my disk touching the sciatic nerve giving me excruciating pain, and before this my doctors had me on hydrocodone, Flexeril, and naproxen. This was no relief for me, the pain literally had me in tears at work and at all times of the day. There were days I wouldn't be able to sleep because of the pain. My lovely girlfriend told me to ask my primary about this medicine and I am so happy. I was at a level 9 pain this morning and now I can be in any position I want without feeling the sciatic pain in my leg. I have absolutely zero pain now and I am very very happy! I got my life back, I am still doing the epidural steroid shot this week because I would like my disc to heal faster.

July 1, 2014 6:04 AM

Review by Th. vaz-san (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: I have migraines since I was 12, I went to different doctors, exams, medicine etc; I was in pain 5 or 6 days in a row till I used gabapentin. This medicine changed my entire life. Now I have a headaches once a month it's incredible. The consequences I'm happy all of the time and I spent more time with my little boys.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 1:15 AM

Review by Not Hurting (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: I have experienced crippling pain that left me hungover. My doctor put me on Gabapentin and the migraines have stopped, so have the leg cramps.

June 25, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by CasaCurry:

For Occipital Neuralgia: Sciatica pain and related SEVERE knee pain is almost completely gone after two days.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by tryingabapentin (taken for less than 1 month):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!

June 14, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by Ash-Happy!:

For Pain: I have been dealing with thigh pain/numbness and tingles for almost two years from a pinched nerve in my thigh and lower back. Doctors always say LOSE WEIGHT! Well easier said than done. I am not that over weight. Finally met with a SMART neurologist. He said throw away the meds they had me on before which did nothing but MAKE me gain weight (Nortriptyline). He put me on Gabapentin 800mg. I was told to take half tablet three times a day unless I needed more, which I don't. It has been three days..First time in almost two years I sleep through the night because the irritation is GONE. I sleep all night like a baby, wake up refreshed, have ZERO pain in my leg. My coworkers say I am pleasant now. I have NO anxiety now as well! LOVE IT!

June 12, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Blessed_to_be_here (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have never in my 30 years of living been so happy & alive thanks to the gabapentin and lithium my psychiatrist put me on almost 3 months ago. Going back to my inpatient stay in March- I was suicidal because I didn't think there was any other way out of the pain and burden of being anxious 24/7. It paralyzed me. I felt helpless. Now, I go to the gym, play with my son more, preform better at work, and all my relationships are much better. I can actually think to communicate. Also, I don't go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds anymore. I'm like "I got this. Just breathe" I can't even make myself anxious anymore. I've tried. I am on 3000mg a day of Gabapentin (5-600mg pills a day) and 600mg of Lithium (2-300mg pills a day). True Happiness!

June 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by Hello415:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have had trigeminal neuralgia for about six years, I am 32. Luckily for me the pain has been bearable and I felt I had not needed medication until this year (2014) when the pain became really agonizing. I have been pain free since starting the med. Every now and then I will get a little twitch or pinch from the trigeminal nerve, but nothing like the shooting pain I was having before. I take 300mg every night before bed. Recently, there was a mix up with the prescription refill and my insurance, and due to these circumstances I went about a week without taking the medication. The trigeminal pain slowly came back and became more and more intense during the time I had run out. This medicine is great, pain went away soon after taking it again.

June 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by Kelita715 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I've only had 2 hot flashes since I started this. What a HUGE relief!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Rosiecoco:

For Bipolar Disorder: Gabapentin has saved my life! Like everyone else I was experiencing a lot of anxiety & wanted something non habit forming and addictive. This makes me feel calm about an hour after taking. No more anxious thoughts & irritation. Wonderful medication I can't stress that enough!

June 1, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by Faceless:

For Bipolar Disorder: Gabapentin makes me feel better. I take it everyday, two times a day. I have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and severe anxiety. Gabapentin, along with Risperidal, help me feel normal.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by mcb70 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was originally prescribed Gabapentin for internal nerve damage due to extensive colon cancer surgery. It has been about 75% effective in relieving this pain. To my surprise, it has also helped in other ways I was never expecting. I have a pretty laid back personality (I thought) but after taking Gabapentin for pain relief, I began noticing a calming effect overtake me - just relaxed. I used to get lots of negative thoughts come to my mind which I would fight off but now I don't even go there! My husband has really noticed a difference in my upbeat attitude towards life and after a year of radiation, chemo, surgery etc... it is a wonderful surprise to him also! As a side note - I am also sleeping great and wake up refreshed.

May 29, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by sturnell (taken for less than 1 month):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!

May 28, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Deep pains:

For Fibromyalgia: Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the start of the year having suffered with severe neck and upper back pain. The deep pain especially in the upper back right in between the shoulder blades was unbearable most of the time. I had the symptoms for over 2 years before the diagnosis and had almost 80 sessions of treatment with 11 different therapists. Anyway started taking duloxetine, gabapentin and Cocodamol in January. Started gabapentin at 300 mg a day and built up to 1800mg a day by the end of March. Over the last few weeks I feel that I am starting to get my life back. Not totally pain free but I now have spells where the pain is bearable. So if you have just started on this, be patient and fingers crossed you will get relief.

May 26, 2014 7:09 AM