Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Aviane

Learn more about Aviane.

Aviane review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Aviane to treat Birth Control

Review by jtsdufibjnklm:

Aviane was the first birth control I've taken, I started when I was 20, and I took it for about 6 months. The first month was pretty bad - I had my period for all of it, then the second and third month I have my period for two weeks. Initially, I felt depressed at times especially about my boyfriend, but I was fine by the 3rd month. My boobs maybe got a little larger, and my skin did clear up, but I might have gained some weight over the months (I also stopped working out). The main reason why I'm no longer taking it is because for the past 3 months my period started 3 or 4 days earlier during the active pills so I needed a birth control with higher doses. Overall I have no complaints, and it definitely works at preventing pregnancy.

March 30, 2013 7:15 PM

Review by Elliefarnell:

I have been on Aviane for 3 months. During the first month, things were okay. During the last two months, my breasts are constantly super sore and I have (mild but annoying) cramping every day. My breasts have also definitely gotten bigger which is okay but I'm not sure the pain is worth it. Also, before my last period I turned into an emotional monster and I'm usually pretty even keeled. I know it can take a few months to even out but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to give it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2013 7:56 PM

Review by Salem22:

I will have been on Aviane for two years as of next month. Once my prescription ends next month, I find it is time to get off of it. Its done its job preventing pregnancy and I do have shorter periods. However, I have gained 20 pounds in the past two years, went from a 34 C to a 38 D (on the brink of DD), acne has stayed the same and I have experienced mood swings, anger, and depression.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 9:29 PM

Review by ThisGirl:

I was on the Depo Provera shot for 3 years, never getting a period. I decided to switch to pills and got prescribed Aviane. I just started my fourth week, and I have been crazy. Crying almost every day, being a monster girlfriend. Vaginal itching and pain with sex. As soon as I started the fourth week I became very stomach sick, throwing up and diarrhea. Not sure if I should stick it out or go back to the doctors.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by amssssss:

Its the first birth control I ever had. I never had problems. 4 day light periods on time.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2013 9:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This was my first birth control and I found a few pros and cons with it. I used it for 3 months. Pros: shorter and lighter period, and little to no cramps. Cons: vaginal dryness, vaginal sensitivity, very low sex drive, very bad acne. I switched to another pill since it wasn't for me. However, just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for other people.

February 21, 2013 7:30 PM

Review by JennMmmmm:

After getting off of Ortho-tricylen Lo I switched over to several other generic brands of which my gyno recommended.. all of which had crazy side effects (break through spotting/bleeding, acne, rashes on my face, crazy mood swings). Aviane is the first one that I've had no problems with so far... clear skin, no mood swings. Only minor issue is the small weight gain due to my increase in appetite.. other than that no complaints whatsoever!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2013 9:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 24 and have been on the pill for 3 weeks. I have experience heavy breakthrough bleeding during week 3 with painful cramping as well. My skin has broken out substantially and have an increased need to sleep. Mood swings are minimal but are nonetheless still there. I hope this is just my body adjusting as it is my first time on the pill.

January 8, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

At first this pill made me miserable. I had the worst mood swings and took it out on everyone around me. I stopped taking it after one month, but then I tried it again a few months later and nothing bad happened. You just need to give your body enough time to get used to it. No weight gain, no mood swings (by the second month), no breast changes, etc. My face isn't totally clear of acne and my period cramps/flow is only a little less, but this is a good pill if you just want the basics without altering your body.

January 7, 2013 7:53 PM

Review by Heatherdawn54 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Aviane for about 4 years now. I was fist put on it to regulate my period because I would go without having a period for as long as 3-5 months. I went to my doctor and was told it sounded like I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. Aviane made my periods regular but very light. They are only three days long. I don't know if that would be considered a side effect but it is what I'm used to. I gained a little bit of weight after starting Aviane, but not very much. I get emotional the week of my period but nothing too extreme. Overall, I am happy with it, and don't see a reason to change brands.

December 28, 2012 1:02 AM

Review by LexyC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Aviane for two months now. I'll be starting my third month in about a week. I have noticed a huge difference in my appetite. I've usually only eaten a snack after school and dinner but lately I seem to always have food in my mouth and I eat huge amounts. My stomach is constantly bloated. My mood recently started to change, I always feel down and in a "I hate everything" mood. I am normally a very happy non stop laughing person but now its an effort to smile. I've also experienced extreme fatigue, I have no energy for anything and all I ever seem to do is cry. I hope none of you are experiencing this.

December 1, 2012 1:52 AM

I have been on this birth control for three years I love it. Before I started Aviane I had terrible periods where I felt like I was having the flu with an insane amount of bleeding. I couldn't live that way anymore and my doctor suggested putting me on birth control. I was put on this pill for about 3 months and then I saw commercials on Seasonale where I could only get my period 4 times a year and that seemed intriguing. After I was put on Seasonale I had TERRIBLE mood swings and I would cry everyday. The only good thing about Seasonal was that my breasts grew a size and a half. I went back to Aviane after the other pill obviously wasn't going to work out and I am happy with it! My periods are better and no side effects!

November 27, 2012 4:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This makes month 3 for me on Aviane and so far so good! I'm taking this to prevent pregnancy and to regulate my period. I had taken Yaz before but then had some side effects so I switched. For the most part, my period is consistent.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2012 7:24 PM

Review by KaylaP (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is the only birth control that I've tried, but so far I've been tolerating it fine. I'm almost finished my second pack and I haven't experienced any spotting or mood swings that anyone else has mentioned. My acne has gotten worse though...I usually only get one or two pimples, but now I have acne around my hairline, my nose, chin and chest. I'm going to stick it out for a few more months to see how it goes; I've been using 5% benzoyl peroxide cream to help with the acne problem. I noticed that I had next to no cramping and my period was only 4 days, when it usually lasted a week before. Overall I'm pleased with this birth control, but if the acne persists I may try switching.

August 24, 2012 11:26 PM

Review by brideofsax:

I got on Aviane after 4 years off the pill and I have no complaints. No weight gain, good sex drive. I'm all about it!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2012 8:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I've used Aviane for approx. 14 years, I'm 43 now. My doctor recommended Aviane because it had a low hormone level. I never gained weight and my period have for the most part always been light. The only side effect that I've experienced is Melasma (dark spots on face). I've recently tried to get off of this birth control but I experienced immediate weight gain. It could be attributed to my age...I don't know. Since I'm single now am not sexually active right now I'm going to stop using Aviane to see if my dark spot problem clears up.

August 5, 2012 12:21 PM

Review by Alexis452828:

Aviane works very well in preventing unwanted pregnancies. I have shorter and lighter cycles. However, I've gained 15 lbs on Aviane and my breasts have went up a cup size and I already had huge breast. Also, I noticed myself being more moody and having side effects such as nausea and headaches. Overall, the Aviane is okay.

August 1, 2012 4:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I went on Aviane to make my periods lighter. It definitely helped in that way, but I've now been on it for 5 months and I am constantly hungry. I gained 15 pounds (120lbs to 135). Although that is the only side effect, the weight will not come off! I've been increasing my amount of exercise and it's only making me gain more. I weighed myself yesterday and I went up to 140lbs.

July 30, 2012 11:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Aviane for 2 months and I think I am going to stop taking it. For 2 months my breasts have been extremely sore and don't fit in my bathing suits or bras like they used to. I know bigger breasts is usually a good side effect for most people on birth control, but when you already wear a 32 DDD the last thing you need is bigger breasts! I have also noticed much more bloating and weight gain (about 5-7 pounds). My face has stayed clear, but I can not deal with the sore breasts and weight gain.

July 23, 2012 11:01 AM

Review by Callie..:

The doctor put me on this to regulate my period. I've never taken any birth control prior to this. I took it for 2 days and started noticing a strange sensation in my chest. Not painful but uncomfortable as if I was not getting enough oxygen. I know it was the Aviane because I have never had that feeling before. I stopped taking it, and I am very disappointed that I reacted that way because I wanted my breasts to get bigger and my periods to get normal. The doctor switched me to Norethindrone because she suspects that I have an allergy to estrogen.

July 20, 2012 11:36 PM

I've been on Aviane for a few weeks now and it's done me pretty good. My chest size increased after the first week and a half but no other weight was added. I have noticed I've been excessively moody in the days leading up to my period but that could also just be stress too. Other than that it's been good to me and I plan to keep it around as long as needed.

July 20, 2012 8:02 PM

Review by kkerr02 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Every 2 years or so I switch birth control pills to get my body used to something new. Other than Yaz making me border line psychotic, Aviane is next at the bottom of the list. I've been on it for about 6 months now and I had to go back to what I was on before. If I didn't take it at the exact same time every day, I would spot and after month 3 I bled for 2 weeks straight. My acne is the worst it's ever been and I know Aviane caused the cystic acne on my chin every month.

July 19, 2012 8:42 AM

Review by Mrs. M:

I always used Yasmin but from my home-country and actually lost weight for almost 2 years. Once I got in the U.S last October I had to switch pills to the Yazmin from here and the pharmacy actually gave me the generic brand, Ocella. Awful for me. Switched to the actual Yasmin but same thing, I gained around 40 pounds in less than 6 months and even stopped at the ER because of Ocella. Aviane was prescribed last month and its the best pill I took since I arrived here. Pretty much back to normal except for the extra pounds that its been easier to lose now, way less hormones than the other pills. I love it! Oh and sex drive increased 100%.

July 17, 2012 11:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I switched to this one after being on another pill for six months. I switched because I gained 20 pounds in 6 months. I gained 5 pounds in three months with this one, but the worst part was the absolute emotional roller coaster I was on. I was cranky beyond belief a week before my period, worse than my normal PMS. I encourage people to give it a shot anyway. You never know it it will work for you!

May 31, 2012 7:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Aviane for 5 months now. First few months were great, no side-effects. Maybe I was slightly moody right before getting my period during the first month of starting the pill, but that's pretty much it. I experienced minimal spotting the 2nd month. However, I am now switching to Yaz because this month I missed taking the pill by 1 hour, only 1 hour, and it caused me to have spotting, then resulted in getting my period while still taking active pills. I was concerned so I think the dose may be too light for me. But, I definitely recommend giving it a try, it may work for you. No weight gain, no mood swings, improved but didn't get rid of acne but this can also be related to the fact that the dose was too low for me.

May 24, 2012 8:49 PM