User Reviews for Aviane

Learn more about Aviane.

Aviane Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Aviane to treat Birth Control

"At first this pill was fine. I have been on it for 8 weeks. So far have gotten break through bleeding, mood swings, now I am getting slight acne on my cheeks (I never have acne), also was experiencing vaginal burning and tenderness that has seemed to subside. I was really hoping that if I pressed through this would go away. But I'm getting married in 6 weeks! I really hoping these side effects calm down."

Paris35 May 14, 2014

"For the most part it's been good -- no nasty side effects. However, if you smoke, take caution. Since I've been taking this and have been trying to quit smoking (as birth control increases your risk for heart problems), I've acquired an occasional fluttering heart beat that at times is a bit freaky -- not painful, but certainly something that if it happens often to tell your doctor about. Also, coming up on a year of taking it, it loses its effectiveness. For the past three months I will take it regularly (at the same time every day), and by the third week, I'll get my period. For this reason I plan on switching to something with a little higher of a hormone dose. "

Char Bloom (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2014

"Overall, Aviane works pretty well. My periods are average and I have had no weight loss or gain. The one side effect I have had is terrible acne! My face was pretty much clear when I started (I'd get minor breakouts around my period, but nothing bad). Within a couple of months of being on Aviane, my cheeks started breaking out really badly. I've never even had acne on my cheeks. It's painful and there's scarring. I've tried staying on it in hopes that my body would adjust and the breakouts would stop, but they've only gotten worse. "

Hnc103 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2014

"I have been on this birth control regularly for almost a year now. I am very sensitive to the hormones and experienced extreme sickness I mean to the point I was throwing up every morning and on the verge of passing out no matter what I tried to prevent it. I learned that taking it in the morning solved this problem. Negative side affects are that I have a huge appetite (thankfully a high metabolism) constant headaches, worse PMS, no motivation, tiredness, irrational mood swings, and last week I noticed breakthrough bleeding and cramps halfway through the pack. But all in all my periods are short and I'm not pregnant yet! Remember every woman is different."

SammieB1221 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2014

"I have been on Aviane for about 3 weeks and the longer I've been taking it the less I notice certain side effects. The very first week was Hell. I had the worst mood swings of my life. I was contemplating switching but held on and powered through and now I haven't experienced them! The one thing that I complain about now is that my breasts are VERY tender and I've been a little bit more sleepy"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

"I've been on this pill for about 3 weeks. I think it's working, not pregnant yet. It has made my breast a little tender, but no size increase. I started to break out on my face, no cramping, dryness around the vagina, no sex drive at all."

Happy user (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2014

"24y/o with some symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome/mild depression. Recently started back on Aviane after 4 months of taking it to regulate my hormones. PROS: more optimistic, fewer mood swings, reduced symptoms of PCOS/irregular periods, clearer skin. When I was off it, my cycles had reset and normalized. CONS: longer periods, migraines when on placebo. Active pills are great though, no complaints. Still use a condom for extra insurance."

Anonymous8761 February 21, 2014

"I was taking Orsythia for a few years then went off birth control for 3 months; when I re-started taking it about a month ago I was prescribed Aviane (which from my understanding is the exact same med as Orsythia). I think it is just my body adjusting to the change of hormones but my hair has been thinning out; I've been shedding a lot extra. I assume it will stop in a couple months once my body adjusts, but was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge if this was normal. So far that is the only bothersome side effect I've ever noticed. I definitely have noticed that when on birth control I do not get acne, but when I am on it I usually have pimples."

KatyDid ppppp January 28, 2014

"I have been using Aviane for almost 4 years. It works well for me! No mood swings, short periods, no acne. And most of all I'm not pregnant. My breasts never grew though."

Jess5110 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2013

"I've been on Aviane for 11 days now, starting the 1st pill in the pack the first day my period started (Sunday). I've now had my period a full 11 days and it's starting to get really annoying. My sex drive has decreased a bit, I have vaginal itching, burning and redness, and I find myself becoming frequently dizzy. My breasts have become extra sensitive and seem much fuller than normal, my acne/ clearing of face seems the same as before taking the pill, but my mood swings have been the worst. One moment I want to cry, the next moment I'm cheerful and happy towards everyone. "

Erica N December 4, 2013

"Aviane was my first and only birth control method. I did not experience any of the negative side-effects, save for some occasional bloating. It didn't affect my mood, and it was fairly easy to use. It's great, and I'm going to start up on it again now that I'm in a new relationship after a year of the single life. I'd still recommend using condoms as well, but from the sounds of it, other ladies find this pill very reliable!"

Kat-Kat November 20, 2013

"Although it has only been a week of using Aviane, I have to say that I love it. I've been on the patch and it definitely made me moody, to the point where I would cry constantly and randomly. It made me gain 10 lbs in a week and I just hated it so much. Aviane so far, is amazing. I've been at my lowest weight (during my period), I've lost my appetite though, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. No bloating, no break outs, but I am experiencing longer period flow. But it's only been the first week. So fingers cross that this will keep being amazing to me."

nomkimchi October 23, 2013

"I switched to Aviane from Yaz, since the pharmacy told me it was the same but cheaper. It was not! I took Yaz for over 5 years and switched to Aviane, and have been taking it for about 1 year now. PROS: Short period, no mood swings. CONS: My acne is SO bad and getting worse. (I actually have a much more healthy lifestyle than before, so I don't know what else it could be). I need to switch back soon or else my face is going to be wrecked. Also, very low sex drive like almost non existent, which could be a pro or con."

JG66 September 26, 2013

"Though I have only been on Aviane for a week, I just wanted to say that it's great! My breasts got bigger within a day or two of starting the pill. They're a bit sore but it's nothing horrible. I have occasional cramps but they are infrequent and only last a few seconds. I have noticed that I am hungry a lot more often but the key to not gaining weight on birth control is to not give in to the increased tummy rumbles. I had a little bit of stomach bloating the first three or so days of starting the pill but it's subsided now. One more huge benefit I've noticed is that within a day of taking the pill, my mood did a complete 180. I have noticed that, since staring Aviane, I am a lot happier and optimistic. It's great! I highly recommend this pill!"

Agardens (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2013

"I had taken Aviane for about 6 months straight and I did not like it. My periods were a lot longer, my cramps were very bad, and I started breaking out on my face. I also had a loss of appetite, and felt more tired everyday. I do have to say it did help in preventing pregnancy, but I did not like the side effects. I am going to see if I can change birth control."

TinaTeen18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2013

"I was on some other pill, and it made me really sick. It was awful. Then I switched to Aviane and I think it is beautiful. Perfect results so far."

KristinReisler (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2013

"I've been on Aviane for 3 months now, and I must say I have absolutely 'No' complaints, no weight gain, no mood swings, no dryness, and on the positive side, my moderate acne flares have greatly reduced, my face is less oily, and I have just about 2 new breakouts when on the placebo pills, unlike having a full blown breakout during my periods, I am very happy with this pill."

Gypsydalley May 27, 2013

"When I first started taking birth control, I was started on Aviane and I really loved it. I lost weight and I went from an A cup bra to a C cup bra in just 2 months. After a year or 2 I go switched to Lessina and I didn't like it! Got horrible headaches, gained weight, and cramps were horrible. After 2 years of Lessina I begged to be switched back to Aviane, and now only after 2 months of taking it I have lost 11 lbs and the cramps and headaches are gone. I do get tender breast while on my period but I rather have tender breast and moodiness and cramps! Oh and my sex drive is up the roof!"

I love this pill (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2013

"I have been on Aviane for about 4 years, it has definitely done its job of preventing pregnancy. Unfortunately I have not experienced any larger breast as said by other users of this medicine. I also have not gained weight. The only thing that has changed is I do have light acne as opposed to having no acne before. I absolutely love my Aviane."

brittbreezy92 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2013

"Although I only started this medication recently, I wanted to share my experience. I finally made the decision to start the pill because my last period was over two weeks late. After ruling out pregnancy, I discovered that I have a genetic history of ovarian cysts, which are lessened in frequency by birth control. I have also suffered from moderately severe periods, with cramps that made it impossible to go to work or school. I have just completed my first week of Aviane. I have had no nausea and perhaps a slight change in appetite where I eat a little more. What surprised me is that my breasts have grown about a third of a cup size. (This is a pleasant surprise for me, as I am a medium B-cup)."

Laira R. May 16, 2013

"I have been on this pill for over 2 years now and I love it. My breasts have grown, and the only downside is that I get a little acne when I am on my period."

Anonymous May 10, 2013

"I love this birth control. I've been on this pill for 3 months already and I simply love it. Works in a matter of a week and it really protects you from pregnancy. My boyfriend and I have sex all the time and I always get my period on the first day I take my placebo pills. When I started taking this pill I was 155lbs now I'm 146lbs. I must say losing weight is fantastic. Aviane makes me bloat some days and lose my appetite but the whole point is you won't get pregnant! Love it."

jezka V (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2013

"Aviane was the first birth control I've taken, I started when I was 20, and I took it for about 6 months. The first month was pretty bad - I had my period for all of it, then the second and third month I have my period for two weeks. Initially, I felt depressed at times especially about my boyfriend, but I was fine by the 3rd month. My boobs maybe got a little larger, and my skin did clear up, but I might have gained some weight over the months (I also stopped working out). The main reason why I'm no longer taking it is because for the past 3 months my period started 3 or 4 days earlier during the active pills so I needed a birth control with higher doses. Overall I have no complaints, and it definitely works at preventing pregnancy."

jtsdufibjnklm March 30, 2013

"I have been on Aviane for 3 months. During the first month, things were okay. During the last two months, my breasts are constantly super sore and I have (mild but annoying) cramping every day. My breasts have also definitely gotten bigger which is okay but I'm not sure the pain is worth it. Also, before my last period I turned into an emotional monster and I'm usually pretty even keeled. I know it can take a few months to even out but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to give it."

Elliefarnell March 19, 2013

"I will have been on Aviane for two years as of next month. Once my prescription ends next month, I find it is time to get off of it. Its done its job preventing pregnancy and I do have shorter periods. However, I have gained 20 pounds in the past two years, went from a 34 C to a 38 D (on the brink of DD), acne has stayed the same and I have experienced mood swings, anger, and depression. "

Salem22 March 18, 2013