Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

Review by Angry at nuvaring: User Rating:

I have been on and off the ring for years I'd say at least 7yrs..from the time I was 18. The first few years it was great! No side effects. Everything else I had tried made me a psychopath. Fast forward to now I'm a different person. Mine and my husband's sex life is gone. Nonexistent. The dryness is terrible, breast tenderness almost daily. No weight gain or acne but I would trade that for my normal sex life back. Perfect birth control if you are forgetful but I'm to my limit on patience with it.

April 6, 2014 11:59 AM
Review by Izzy83 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

This is my second time being on the NuvaRing and overall I really like it. However, I have experienced weight gain which I thought was what I was eating and drinking but looking back, the weight gain started right when I switch back from the pill to the NuvaRing. I don't have health insurance so I pay $103 every three weeks but to me, I find it so much easier then the pill. I wish my breats grew a cup size which is my only negative after reading other women's messages.

April 3, 2014 12:10 AM
Review by AnonymousNRuser (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

The NuvaRing has been absolutely wonderful for me. I've been using it for about 2 years and I just can't say enough good things about it. It's so easy it is to use and it's been extremely effective; not just in the obvious prevention of pregnancy, but also with controlling my acne and maintaing my weight; No moodiness, no depression. I understand that there isn't a "one size fits all" when it comes to birth control, but I would recommend to anyone that they at least give this a try to see how it suits them. Since it seems that everyone goes online to post their horror stories, I just wanted to say something positive about the NuvaRing because I think it's one of the best forms of birth control out there. I'll never go back to the pill!!

March 27, 2014 11:48 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

The easiest birth control I ever took, I couldn't feel it at all, even during sex. My partner said he couldn't feel it either. Then only down side was the side effects, I'm a pretty tiny girl (5"7 under 120 pounds) and the ring made me really nauseous, unbelievably tired, my entire body was sore especially in my legs and overall made me feel a little weird. I didn't like how it was making me feel and after a couple of days of feeling really crappy I had to take it out. I felt normal after 2 days without it and haven't put it back in since. Might consider something else for next month.

March 21, 2014 8:35 AM
Review by Camfar: User Rating:

I started using Nuvaring back in 2010 after trying many different birth control pills. I gained around 7 pounds, wanted to sleep all the time and lost completely my sex drive. I had to stop using because the last 6 months I started experiencing severe migraines. So, the only good part about is that Nuvaring didn't make me feel angry or in a bad mood all the time like the other pills I've tried before.

March 18, 2014 11:19 PM
Review by Since I can't be anonymous: User Rating:

My partner and I finally decided to try some alternate methods of birth control. Nuvaring was my first choice because I'm too forgetful to try pills and I must say I've had a mixed experience. I love the fact that I can insert it and forget about it. I don't feel it during sex and it doesn't slip out. It got rid of my reoccurring yeast infections, I even grew a cup size. However, I can't help but notice that I've gained weight especially around my waistline which almost never happens, and my sex drive has decreased. I exercise regularly so I know it had to be the hormones. I experience extreme mood swings, I'm a lot more angry, I find myself depressed, have random urges to cry and my periods are just as painful as before. I just may switch soon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 15, 2014 9:24 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

So far my symptoms have been much less than the pills I've tried. In the first week in experienced much more frequent urination which soon improved, I think my body was getting used to the sensational something pressing against my bladder. I also experienced breast tenderness mid cycle and have thrush now which may not be related to the Nuvaring but rather to too much loving over the weekend. I'm really happy with Nuvaring. I also take it out when having sex as leaving it in can be a bit uncomfortable for both of us and I always get a slightly brown discharge afterwards when I leave it in, I assume this is from bleeding due to the rubbing of the ring during sex.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 10:23 AM
Review by jenndurbin (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have been using NuvaRing for almost a year. I was able to go to the website and get a coupon that will pay for 50% of what my insurance doesn't cover. I had lighter periods for a while and finally had to go a few weeks without and had one of the worst periods of my life but now i'm back on it and haven't had a period in almost two months and that feels amazing. I have noticed that I feel like crying for no reason sometimes but I am will to deal with that over feeling like I am miscarrying every time I got my periods. To me its worth the risks and side effects. I pay $30.00 after my coupon from the manufacture.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 11:05 AM
Review by BCam (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Birth control pills make me extremely nauseous, & the shot made me gain a ton of weight & caused bad acne, so the only method I can use consistently is the Nuvaring. It keeps my skin clear, is easy to use, doesn't bother my husband during sex, and it grew my breasts a cup size. Unfortunately, Nuvaring makes me SO tired that I gained weight due to inactivity since all I want to do is sleep, I suspect it has caused anxiety & depression (although I can't be sure), and it gives me a terrible headache & nausea the first 3 days I put a new ring in. It dulls my sex drive a bit, but nothing major. I will probably stick with this method for a while unless something better comes around.

March 2, 2014 3:50 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I personally I liked the Nuvaring. I am very forgetful and I had been on the pill before, so I am happy I switched to this. I was on it for about a year, and just now switched to Nexplanon, because of my insurance. Nuvaring worked very well for me for the most part. The first 3 months when I put the ring in after the ring free break, I would be very nauseous because my body didn't have the hormones for a week, that was a downside. Another thing is about 6 months into it I felt like I had no sex drive. That lasted for about 2 months or so but I am not sure if I can blame the ring for that. Other than that, I would recommend it!

February 27, 2014 10:38 PM
Review by CariN29 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was on Nuvaring for about a year. I stopped using it about 2-3 months ago after losing my insurance coverage. For the past couple weeks I have been losing SO MUCH HAIR! I don't know how I have any hair left! I have never lost this much hair and I have had 2 children who are now 4 and 5. It has to be due to coming off the NuvaRing, there is no other explanation for this. I "brush" my hair with my fingers in the shower while conditioning, and now I end up with a hand FULL of hair when before I would have a tenth that much, if that. I loved the NuvaRing while on it but this is horrible! Otherwise the only side effect I experienced was spotting the first month I was on it.

February 23, 2014 10:27 AM
Review by Wildhoney777: User Rating:

I did not like this birth control for many reasons: it made me catty and snap at people, my period discharge became thick and painful, and worst of all I could feel the ring during sex. On the other hand the convenience of not worrying about taking pills was nice.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 11:35 PM
Review by Kristina2222: User Rating:

I was on the ring for two and a half years. When I first started it, I loved it. No acne, no remembering to take it everyday, no worrying, no cramps, light periods. Into my second year, my sex drive totally shriveled up. My vagina was drier than normal. I would be in the mood but my vagina never got the memo. I've switched birth control to the pill now, and Its slowly coming back but barely.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2014 9:10 PM
Review by Carolinagirl346 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I absolutely love Nuva Ring. I can't feel it and neither can my partner during sex. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are in a relationship because the man can feel it while fingering but not sex. I love the fact that I don't even have to think about taking my birth control. My face seems to be clearer. A lot of women said their sex drive went down but I feel like mine went up. I highly recommend the NuvaRing to everyone I know.

February 6, 2014 1:58 PM
Review by CandyGurl: User Rating:

I've been taking the Nuva ring off and on for about 5 years. It's my preferred birth control. I barely have any side effects other than my breast enlarging quit a bit. What I don't like about Nuva ring is it can be difficult to insert and remove. It takes a little tweaking to get it in the right place. Sometimes I feel gross having to insert it with my bare fingers. I decided to take a break from the ring because the insurance only approves one monthly and it's annoying having to go to the pharmacy every month for just one ring.

January 22, 2014 6:07 PM
Review by CaliCane: User Rating:

I was on the NuvaRing for almost 3 years and had mostly great experiences with it. I had little to no spotting, and the initial three month break-in time frame was easy and I had no irregularities. I only suffered from one issue with NuvaRing and it was a side effect I didn't realize I was suffering from until I stopped using it for the past month (I switched to Mirena). Over the course of the almost 3 years that I was on NuvaRing, my temper started getting worse and worse. It wasn't anything obvious, but now that I'm on Mirena I see that NuvaRing was contributing to a fair bit of moodiness (but still nowhere near the moodiness I had when on oral birth control). I would definitely recommend the NuvaRing.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 4:34 PM
Review by ChrystalB (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I honestly don't remember how long I've been using NuvaRing - at least 5 years or more. I could never remember to take the pills and didn't like what I heard about the shots. NuvaRing is so convenient, I mark the calendar so I know when to change it. I rarely have issues with it coming out, if it does it's always during intercourse and we make sure to find it so it can go back in! I am naturally a moody person and I love food so I can't say my mood swings or being overweight can be blamed on NuvaRing. If you want something convenient and you're comfortable with your body, give it a shot. My insurance covers 100% otherwise it can be expensive.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 2:54 PM
Review by Fanson: User Rating:

I tried Nuvaring in Oct 2012 and stopped it July 2013 because of mood swings and bloating. I decided to try a pill and got severe anxiety attacks. Went back on the Nuvaring in Sept 2013 and all was fine for the first 2 months but month 3 I got my mood swings back and I am so irritable that any tiny thing annoys me. Sadly I stopped it because I can't take the anger from it and I know it is the Nuvaring because I've only been angry while on it. It's too bad because it actually helped my anxiety and it was so convenient. Going to try a chewable pill next.

January 5, 2014 4:28 PM
Review by Jx (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been on the Nuvaring for 4 months now. It is effective as a birth control and has cleared up my skin a bit, although I still get a few hormonal cysts a month. It has not affected my mood and it pretty much feels like I'm not on anything. Most days I wonder if it is even in, but it always is when I check. One side effect is I have lost 15 pounds since I started it.

January 4, 2014 5:37 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on birth control since I was 16. Initially on it to control my headaches, now to prevent a baby. I was on Yaz, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Loestrin. By far I liked the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo however I kept getting massive ovarian cysts because I was ovulating as if I wasn't on birth control. Dr switched me to Loestrin, however I lost my sex drive completely. So I got switched to Nuvaring. I have been on it now for 4 months. The only side effect I have gotten is a little extra discharge. My sex drive is back, my yeast infections are gone, the little blackheads I had are almost all gone as well. I haven't noticed weight gain or loss. I was leary to try the ring, but now that I am on it, I love it. My insurance even covers it 100%.

December 21, 2013 3:05 PM
Review by MCO121713: User Rating:

I had a very positive experience with NuvaRing. The only birth control that I had zero side effects from, never got pregnant. I stopped using it due to financial reasons and my insurance wouldn't cover it. It was super convenient and I highly recommend it. As far as the horror stories - all birth control methods which involve hormones can have serious serious side effects. It's all about finding what dosage and specific form of the hormone is best for you. Any RX carries a risk, all of our bodies are different.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 16, 2013 12:36 AM
Review by hallie7678979: User Rating:

I love the Nuvaring! Third birth control I've tried and by far the best, I will never be trying anything else. I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo and then Junel. On both of those it was so hard to lose weight and Junel actually made me gain. Ortho gave me really bad anxiety too. Once I switched to Nuvaring, my anxiety went away, my moods are super under control, and I have lost 5 lbs very easily in the past month. The single bad thing is that sometimes it comes part way out and I will have to go and fix it, but it's quick and easy and happens very rarely.

December 15, 2013 4:36 PM
Review by Abbie234: User Rating:

I was on it for over a year. I never got pregnant which is a plus, but horrible side effects. I had yeast infections a least 3 times a month. Gained 30 pounds, headaches & absolutely no sex drive. I switched to the patch, hope it works!

December 11, 2013 9:25 AM
Review by ATWA: User Rating:

My experience on NuvaRing was a mixed bag. My first time on it was wonderful - I was CRAZY the first month on, after that it was smooth sailing. Absolutely no bad side effects. I had to discontinue due to no insurance, but when I went on it again years later I had a multitude of problems. BAD bloating around the midsection (I am otherwise a slender woman and the bloat didn't look right on me), thinning hair, dark spotting of the skin on my back and stomach, borderline severe depression and anxiety. I lost all the bloat as well as the depression and anxiety when I came off it. Unfortunately my acne came back (much to my dismay) when I stopped using it, but for me the NuvaRing was still not worth the side effects.

December 8, 2013 4:57 PM
Review by Kb1723 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Absolutely love it. Only birth control method that I have used that I have had literally zero side effects from. Every other I have tried (Mircette, Beyaz, Ortho Tri-cyclen and one other I can't recall) have all caused weight gain, anxiety/agitation, nausea, extremely decreased sex drive and various other symptoms. All I do is put in the ring and forget about it, no issues.

December 3, 2013 7:28 PM