Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

Skeptical at first but I absolutely love it. On my third month and no side effects. Period starts like clock work 3 days after I take it out, and last about 3 days. I give it a 9 because I do dry out during intercourse, otherwise it's been great!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by arhlpn:

I had commented before and I also wanted to say that I haven't experienced any mood swings and I STILL WANT TO HAVE SEX! The pill made me hate sex but my drive hasn't suffered a bit with the Nuvaring. I love it and HIGHLY recommend it.

February 17, 2015 9:09 PM

Review by Tarabelle2417:

When I began using birth control, I had severe reactions to every pill that the doctor gave me. Of the side effects which are listed on the pamphlet,I had all of them except the most severe ones. I had three periods in 2 months and I was shaking and in a great deal of pain. I am small and to me it felt like a massive overdose. The Nuvaring has been a lifesaver. The ring slowly releases the hormones so I don't feel overwhelmed and saved me from a lot of future worry and stress.

February 16, 2015 1:57 AM

Review by NikkiS13:

Pros: No remembering pills, easy insertion/removal, never feel it/think about it, significantly less cramping with periods Cons: First 1.5 months had constant bleeding (but that is very rare now), occasional pain with intercourse (but I just remove it for the time and replace it later), some dryness during intercourse

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 8:12 PM

Review by LC7926 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pros: Didn't get pregnant, regular periods, no cramping, no weight loss Cons: NO libido at all, heavy periods on the first two days I have been on the pill, the shot, and Nuvaring. I would LOVE this birth control if it weren't for the absence of libido on it. If you only want it regulate your period, I would suggest it.

February 9, 2015 2:56 PM

Review by Kate88webs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Problems with periods after going off Nuva ring. Irregular periods for over 6 months

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 8:07 PM

Review by attagirlfromHTX (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have a love/hate relationship with NuvaRing. I love that I don't have to worry about a daily pill, light periods, normal moods vs pill, no cramps...almost everything I want! I hate that the ring wants to slip out half the time, painful for me and partner during sex, & decreased sex drive. I plan on switching.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 9:59 PM

Review by Erika Munoz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I always wanted Nuvaring and now my insurance covers it. It's amazing. I'm not weirded out by my own body so I have no problem inserting and taking it out. I don't have to remember to insert it at the same time every day, so automatically I'm a perfect user! I had no side effects, which would make sense since its a lower dose at a constant rate. My sex drive has actually increased, not likely from the ring itself, but from the peace of mind knowing I didn't forget a dose. Totally recommend to anyone who can afford it, or who have bad memory and rather pay for the ring than for an accidental baby.

January 28, 2015 1:55 PM

Review by Britt0215:

I love the Nuvaring. I am skeptical if I've gained weight from it though and my sex drive did decrease.

January 26, 2015 2:22 AM

Review by LisaBrizown:

I actually like it. I did not always remember to take the pill. When I first put the ring in I had brown discharge for about a week which was annoying but once I got past it, it was okay. The only thing I don't like it absolutely no sex drive. I'm switching back to the pill.

January 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Review by Alexa9595:

Nuvaring is great. No problems ever during intercourse or taking it out/ putting it in. Protects against "accidents" multiple times a month. Worth the money as opposed to pill!!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by Nellyx0:

I've been on Nuvaring over a year and I love it. No weight gain. No side effects. Easy to insert and remove and doesn't bother me during intercourse. Recommend it.

December 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by MissHarris (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I absolutely loved this birth control. Was on it for 8 years and would still be on it now, except that when I switched jobs, my new insurance didn't cover it. No weight gain, super clear skin, no mood swings, light periods with no cramping and the convenience of not having to take a pill everyday. Couldn't feel it inside me at all and it never bothered my husband or me during intercourse. Highly recommend.

December 26, 2014 11:54 PM

Loved this method of birth control at first. Used it for about 9 months took it out for two weeks and slowly fell into a depression (never been depressed in life). I have put it back in and hopefully will go back to normal until I can find a way to slowly remove the hormones from my body with out going cold turkey. It was great not having to remember to take a pill everyday but the side effects just aren't worth it to me.

November 22, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by SophieRose:

This was an effective form of birth control because it completely killed my desire to have sex. When I did, it was sometimes painful because I could not get sufficiently lubricated or aroused. It also fell out during sex but not very often. Otherwise, I experienced no weight gain or hormonal issues.

November 14, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Nina05:

This will be my third month on Nuva ring and I am having really bad headaches and acne problems. I haven't gained any weight from the pill, but my acne issue has been worse since I have used the ring. But the ring is comfortable and very convient but I think the hormones are too much for my body.

November 13, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had the NuvaRing in now for over a year, maybe almost 3 years now. Pros: not remembering to take a pill every day, minimal acne(I've never had serious acne although), and light periods Cons: will poke out and this is painful!, while having sex with it in is sometimes painful. I'm bloated all the time! I eat a health diet exercise at least 3 times a week, and I was not bloated like this until the Nuvaring. Overall I would not recommend this, because I feel the cons weigh out the pros.

November 13, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by Olah (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Easy to use, easy to remove. I did notice breast tenderness when using the NuvaRing. My period has gone from 5 days to 3 days with a substantial decrease in cramp pain.

November 12, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by ChelseaMA (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on the Nuvaring for almost a year now. I have had no negative side effects except for lowered sex drive and moderate dryness during intercourse. This has not changed at all, which makes me want to change to something else that is a low dose contraceptive. Prior to getting on the ring, I had moderate acne, and after a month of being on this, it cleared the acne up completely. I have had no weight gain, spotting, skin discolorations, nausea, or any other common side affect while I have been on this. So far it has been very effective in preventing pregnancy.

October 27, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by Kimmi2587:

Maybe a day or two after inserting the Nuvaring I began having sore breasts. They were so sore a bra hurt them and touching them was out of the question. I also experienced nausea and/or vomiting everyday. I wanted Nuvaring for the convenience but it's not worth the side effects I experienced.

October 10, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by skeletonspice (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I love the NuvaRing! I chose to take this one because of metabolic interactions with my lamotrigine and I think I would prefer the NuvaRing to pills even without the lamotrigine interaction. I love that I only have to remember to put it in once a month and remove it for a week 3 weeks later. Prior to starting the NuvaRing I had awful period symptoms. I had really heavy bleeding for 7 days to the point I became anemic due to the blood loss and the NuvaRing has changed my period to being very light and lasting at most 5 days and reduced my previously awful acne. My only problem is that sometimes it slides down inside the vagina and can poke out or be uncomfortable but it can be put back in place with your finger.

October 2, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by shel1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Pros: ease of use, decreased acne, reduced headaches which was wonderful. Cons: 15 lbs weight gain in 6 months, unprecedented! Reduced sex drive and slight depression. Discharge and yeast infection for first 2 months, terrible breakthrough bleeding.

October 1, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by LiFlower (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 4 months of use... Pros: very convenient, no acne. Cons: 10lb weight gain over 3 months (no change in exercise or diet), severe bloating, cramps, headaches, slight sadness.

September 24, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Nylzor:

I have never had a great experience with birth control in the 10 or so years I've been using it. I seem especially sensitive to hormones, though some affect me more severely than others. I love the ease of Nuvaring. I often forgot to take my pills and this completely solved that problem. I am on my third month of using Nuvaring, and here are the side effects that are causing me to consider not using it anymore: moodiness, agitation, strong food cravings, really painful gas, abdominal pain, irritation during sex, fatigue. It feels like month long PMS. I snap at people, eat Cheetos and fries several times a day (before Nuvaring I never ate chips or fast food), and have constant pain and pressure from gas. I can't take it anymore!

September 23, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by KAC9174:

I actually loved the Nuvaring! I did have some side effects such as cramping and breakthrough bleeding, as well as the ring actually sliding out. I know it is unheard of, but I did gain weight on the Nuvaring, nothing major but a good 5 pounds! I used the ring for about three months. I recently switched to Lutera to see if I like that better. I will post a review on Lutera when I use it longer.

September 14, 2014 2:27 PM