User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

"I've been using the nuva ring for years . It's easy to use , colorless , odorless, you can't feel it when it's inside of you , neither can you feel it during sex. Your partner however may feel it . Some say they don't like it , some say it makes the sex feel even greater . But overall, I love the nuva ring . It is excellent on plus size women. I'm 5'6 weighing 367 pounds. And I've never got pregnant on the nuva ring. My husband and I do not use condoms , and I've never gotten pregnant while ring was in use . This is excellent for those women who can't remember to take a pill on time . Or don't wanna do IUD, or Depo. This was the best option for me. Thank you."

Nonaparker May 22, 2015

"I was having issues with PMS before I began using it and at first I thought it was helping with that. But as time went on I started feeling sad and depressed and anxious. It got really bad. I was going through a lot emotionally in my life...a separation, eventually a new relationship. These feelings were starting to effect my relationships and work. After my period I had a 6 day weeping fit, for no reason. My therapist thought maybe I had PMDD. So I went to my Doc and told him what I was going thru. He told me to stop using the ring and give my body a break. Within hours of taking it out I started feeling better. I'm not sure if it was from the ring or PMDD. I am now taking Prozac for PMDD and feel great!"

FeelingBetterNow May 22, 2015

"I've been using NuvaRing for a month now (started on April 14th) and I'm in love. Things may change in the coming months, but I don't foresee them being bad changes. I feel more complete, confident, and it's SUCH a relief to know when I'm going to get my period as opposed to playing a guessing game every month. I am not having sex, so I am not using it for birth control at the moment, but I'm trusting it will do its job when the time comes. Because my experience has been almost entirely positive, the only con I can think of is a few of my friends who have been on it tell me how awful their acne was. Negative side effects took place within the first month and continued until they got off of it (3 or so months in). I'm in love with it!"

Sarah S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"Hi everyone, just wanted to share my 8 months experience with Nuvaring.. First I was really happy , it helps with my heavy and painful periods for sure! Unfortunately my libido went to zero and even if I took the ring out intercourse was really painful...like sharp razor blades. Also suffered from horrible migraines almost everyday... be careful when you use 1 combines hormones.. My neurologist who I saw for my chronics migraines suggest me to take off the ring and see if my migraine will get better. After one week I notice a dramatic change!! No more migraines that was ruin my life, and great no painful intercourse..got my libido back lol! So in general I was not satisfied with nuvaring, had more bad side effects than positive..."

Vany May 10, 2015

"I tried writing my story but that was too many characters, so here's the pros and cons. Pros: a lot less hassle than a pill, free with insurance, very predictable periods (about 3 days after I would take the ring out) Cons: it felt like it was slipping out all the time after a couple months(which it was), my boyfriend could feel it during sex, and the biggest con/ the reason I stopped using it: depression. (i know that it was due to the pill because there were no other factors that would make me feel the way I did)"

babybopbop May 7, 2015

"i love nuvaring. it works wonders for me .. i dont even feel it nor does my partner, and yes of course if a man finishes inside u , ur protected from pregnancy honey! thats what its for. it has never slip out . that probably happens to these woman that have the looses cuchi! lol , The only bad side effect that i get is mild to severe nausea and some acne. sometimes im not even hungry but that any birth control with estrogen will make u nauseous because of the estrogen. every body is different but i would highly recommend it"

muneca1129 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2015

"When started using it, I thought it was the best contraceptive ever until it almost cost me my life. Since February 2015, I experienced shortness of breath, dry cough, headaches, pain and numbness in my legs and a sharp pain in my chest when I inhale. Doctors diagnosed me with asthma because I had it as a child. In the start of April 2015, I was rushed to the emergency room because the everything just got worse. I also had a high fever. After several test, the doctors made the discovery of life threatening blood clots within my lungs and around my heart (pulmonary embolism). I immediately removed the NuvaRing as this had lead to my condition. This has happened to many women and also lead to the death of some."

Rox101 April 29, 2015

"Literally could only tolerate it for three days before removing it. Was getting headaches, couldn't sleep, had an anxiety attack out of nowhere and the brown discharge was gross plus it made my vag sore and itchy. I guess it's one of those things that you really like or just can't stand. If it works for you run with it but if you have symptoms from what I've read be prepared to have those symptoms for at least a month. Can't say it doesn't do it's job but are the side effects worth it?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"I've been using Nuvaring for about 3 months now and I thought that the extremely bad anxiety was cause by other problems and that it'd go away but it hasn't and has only gotten worse. My face has been breaking out more than when I was in high school. My sex drive has decreased tremendously! I've never had depression till I started Nuvaring and its probably became the worst part of all of this. I started getting leg cramps which usually never happen and is supposed to be a sign of blood clots as stated in the side effects. I WOULD NOT recommend this to anyone. I could go on and on about other side effects from this but I wanted to point out the ones that have effected me the most."

Britanyy April 24, 2015

"I've been on Nuvaring for four months and don't plan on going off. I tried the pill, but I have a severe reaction to lactose which all birth control pills contain. It made me bleed constantly and bloat and just feel sad all the time. With this I have none of those symptoms, so I already love it for that. I don't have to remember a pill. I used to have 5 day heavy periods every six weeks. Now they're two days, light enough for a liner, and every nine weeks. I'm not gaining weight or bloating. My moods have been stable until I take the ring out for my 'period' but that's normal PMS for me. Sex drive may be decreased but that suits my husband better anyway. It's defintely not gone completely! It's never fell out. I love it."

Shae S (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2015

"I was on NuvaRing for about six months. For the first month or two, I had terrible headaches at the end of the days I had class, but everything else was fine. Fast forward to 3-5 months, I was moody, I was even a little depressed, and I had no sex drive. I wanted to eat everything in sight. From the second month to the sixth month, I gained about twenty pounds with no significant lifestyle changes or dietary changes besides the NuvaRing. If you are tolerant of high hormone levels and don't gain weight, this might be a good option for you. It stays in for three weeks and comes out the fourth week for your period (which mine came very regularly while on it). If it wasn't for the significant weight gain, I would have stayed on it."

cassfrass April 22, 2015

"I would only recommend this birth control to someone that is trying to sleep with my boyfriend-because it made me bloated, bleed constantly for 2 months, back aches (complete period symptoms non stop for 2 months), and gain weight- huge turn offs to anyone. I am in so much bodily discomfort and have been bleeding for so long now it is definitely preventing pregnancy. I cannot wait to switch to another form of birth control. It feels like a combination of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and being pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

"I was using the nuva ring for about a year and a half.. Maybe a little over. At first I noticed a change in my attitude as if it almost made me crazy, emotional, & snippy. I was excited to have my period shortened to a day a month with clear skin while also being protected from pregnancy so the mood change wasn't a big deal. About 6-7 months after being on it I started gaining weight with no diet change. Now looking back I went from 153-198lbs. Also my sex drive decreased 100%!! If it weren't for my boyfriend loving sex, sex probably wouldn't even cross my mind. Went off it last week with high hopes because the side effects aren't worth it after the convenience wears off."

Megannnnn April 15, 2015

"I've been using nuva ring for 3 month is the best choice ever. I had IUD and also taken pills and my body reject all of them .. With the NuvaRing everything is great I ovulate every month .. Sex mood is on point. My advice for everyone that's having different mood swing . We all have different body shape, weight, hight etc .. But is nice we get to help one another with feed back !!!"

Yaz55 April 11, 2015

"I understand there are risks associated with any form of contraception. I had associated the headache and mood swings I experience with the Nuva Ring as run of the mill symptoms related to my cycle. Although I did not experience these headaches at all or these levels of mood swings before starting the NuvaRing, I explained them to myself as the normal adult symptoms I’d developed with getting older as I didn’t want to cry wolf or say the sky was falling when it wasn’t. Basically I didn’t want to be a hypochondriac, trying instead to approach pain and the levels thereof rationally with the understanding that pain is a signal, or rather an alert the body sends to the brain from the area of the body that is experiencing some kind of distress w"

gmaswag April 9, 2015

"I started the nuva ring after my body rejected the copper IUD. Loved that it was easy to use and painless. I didn't find it gross to put in or take out like I thought I would. It killed my libido. Thank god I had a understanding boyfriend. When we did have sex I occasionally would forget to put it back in which lead to a few scares but nothing ever came of them. Overall I stopped after 6 months because my lack of libido was frustrating for me and him."

Anonymity223 April 6, 2015

"I've been on Nuvaring for 6 years. I was on the pill before which didn't work for me. Nuvaring is awesome because I have a period every 9 weeks. Periods are easy. But it worries me being on birth control this long. It also has hurt me being on too especially. Kills my sex drive. I don't know if it has affected my weight or that was just myself. I've been on it so long."

Helper456789 April 5, 2015

"I originally got prescribed the Nuvaring because I had horrible menstrual problems but I also now use it as actual birth control as well. It was strange to me at first because of the insertion, but now it's easier and nothing new. The only thing I'd have to say that I didn't like at first with this birth control was the nausea, dizziness and mood swing I had within the first (about) three months. I still have mood swings sometimes, but I think it's just an age thing. I also have not gained any unwanted weight from using this contraceptive, which is a huge thing for me. Overall, I'd have to say I really like this birth control and would recommend it to anyone that can handle it."

Emankcinaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2015

"I like/dislike the NuvaRing because before I would always forget to take the pill and with this I'm not pregnant. But the only down side is that I have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever. And to find out the reason why and that I'm not the only one that this happens to is so relieving. So I will be switching soon."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2015

"When I first started using the ring I had absolutely horrible anxiety for about 2 weeks. It faded with time. I didn't have any other major side effects other than it made my face explode with hormonal acne. I had very mild acne and it got worse every month that I used the ring. I had to stop taking it for that reason. I switched to Beyaz and I have zero side effects and my acne is 80% better after a week."

Sarah S March 26, 2015

"Skeptical at first but I absolutely love it. On my third month and no side effects. Period starts like clock work 3 days after I take it out, and last about 3 days. I give it a 9 because I do dry out during intercourse, otherwise it's been great!"

Anonymous March 19, 2015

"I have been on nuva ring for a little over 4 years now. VERY effective birth control. PROS: No weight gain (I actually dropped the weight I gained from the pill soon after I started), very clear skin, even moods with no major mood swings, don't feel or notice it, no daily remembering required, periods significantly lighter, shorter, and with less discomfort, effective immediately at regulating my cycle and has continued that way throughout use, it even has enough hormones in a ring to leave it in and skip your period if you prefer. CONS: Can be a little costly but totally worth it (and the brand website lets you print a 50% coupon), Intercourse can be uncomfortable with your "more endowed" partners (just remove it and replace after)."

LNCS (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2015

"I switched to Nuvaring after getting off of Implanon(It was great except I experienced bone pain and lengthy irregular periods-about 3 weeks long). Its been about 9 months and I enjoy knowing when my period is due to come and it does like clockwork! I enjoy that I don't have to take a pill everyday either. The one annoying thing about this birth control is that if it is not pushed up in the right position that it will slip down. It doesn't hurt or anything but I can feel the slight pressure. It's uncomfortable more than anything. During sex, I just take it out and put it back in within 3 hours as directed. My boobs have exploded on my chest but I guess that is not such a bad thing! I haven't experienced any other symptoms."

Tamiflu88 March 9, 2015

"I used birth control pills for 6 years prior to trying the Nuva-Ring. I had pretty good experiences with my old brand but wanted to try something different and thought not having to remember to take a pill every day would be awesome. I was on the NuvaRing for about 6 months, and I noticed extreme breast tenderness, increased acne and the worst part was the 15lb weight gain. The weight was extremely hard to lose while I was on the ring, but after I switched to another contraceptive the weight I had gained melted off. The one plus was that my moods were great on NuvaRing and my anxiety decreased."

ChrissyThrash March 3, 2015

"I had commented before and I also wanted to say that I haven't experienced any mood swings and I STILL WANT TO HAVE SEX! The pill made me hate sex but my drive hasn't suffered a bit with the Nuvaring. I love it and HIGHLY recommend it."

arhlpn February 17, 2015