User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

Review by Erika Munoz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I always wanted Nuvaring and now my insurance covers it. It's amazing. I'm not weirded out by my own body so I have no problem inserting and taking it out. I don't have to remember to insert it at the same time every day, so automatically I'm a perfect user! I had no side effects, which would make sense since its a lower dose at a constant rate. My sex drive has actually increased, not likely from the ring itself, but from the peace of mind knowing I didn't forget a dose. Totally recommend to anyone who can afford it, or who have bad memory and rather pay for the ring than for an accidental baby.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 1:55 PM

Review by Britt0215:

I love the Nuvaring. I am skeptical if I've gained weight from it though and my sex drive did decrease.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 2:22 AM

Review by LisaBrizown:

I actually like it. I did not always remember to take the pill. When I first put the ring in I had brown discharge for about a week which was annoying but once I got past it, it was okay. The only thing I don't like it absolutely no sex drive. I'm switching back to the pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Review by Alexa9595:

Nuvaring is great. No problems ever during intercourse or taking it out/ putting it in. Protects against "accidents" multiple times a month. Worth the money as opposed to pill!!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by Nellyx0:

I've been on Nuvaring over a year and I love it. No weight gain. No side effects. Easy to insert and remove and doesn't bother me during intercourse. Recommend it.

December 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by MissHarris (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I absolutely loved this birth control. Was on it for 8 years and would still be on it now, except that when I switched jobs, my new insurance didn't cover it. No weight gain, super clear skin, no mood swings, light periods with no cramping and the convenience of not having to take a pill everyday. Couldn't feel it inside me at all and it never bothered my husband or me during intercourse. Highly recommend.

December 26, 2014 11:54 PM

Loved this method of birth control at first. Used it for about 9 months took it out for two weeks and slowly fell into a depression (never been depressed in life). I have put it back in and hopefully will go back to normal until I can find a way to slowly remove the hormones from my body with out going cold turkey. It was great not having to remember to take a pill everyday but the side effects just aren't worth it to me.

November 22, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by SophieRose:

This was an effective form of birth control because it completely killed my desire to have sex. When I did, it was sometimes painful because I could not get sufficiently lubricated or aroused. It also fell out during sex but not very often. Otherwise, I experienced no weight gain or hormonal issues.

November 14, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Nina05:

This will be my third month on Nuva ring and I am having really bad headaches and acne problems. I haven't gained any weight from the pill, but my acne issue has been worse since I have used the ring. But the ring is comfortable and very convient but I think the hormones are too much for my body.

November 13, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had the NuvaRing in now for over a year, maybe almost 3 years now. Pros: not remembering to take a pill every day, minimal acne(I've never had serious acne although), and light periods Cons: will poke out and this is painful!, while having sex with it in is sometimes painful. I'm bloated all the time! I eat a health diet exercise at least 3 times a week, and I was not bloated like this until the Nuvaring. Overall I would not recommend this, because I feel the cons weigh out the pros.

November 13, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by Olah (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Easy to use, easy to remove. I did notice breast tenderness when using the NuvaRing. My period has gone from 5 days to 3 days with a substantial decrease in cramp pain.

November 12, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by ChelseaMA (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on the Nuvaring for almost a year now. I have had no negative side effects except for lowered sex drive and moderate dryness during intercourse. This has not changed at all, which makes me want to change to something else that is a low dose contraceptive. Prior to getting on the ring, I had moderate acne, and after a month of being on this, it cleared the acne up completely. I have had no weight gain, spotting, skin discolorations, nausea, or any other common side affect while I have been on this. So far it has been very effective in preventing pregnancy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by Kimmi2587:

Maybe a day or two after inserting the Nuvaring I began having sore breasts. They were so sore a bra hurt them and touching them was out of the question. I also experienced nausea and/or vomiting everyday. I wanted Nuvaring for the convenience but it's not worth the side effects I experienced.

October 10, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by skeletonspice (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I love the NuvaRing! I chose to take this one because of metabolic interactions with my lamotrigine and I think I would prefer the NuvaRing to pills even without the lamotrigine interaction. I love that I only have to remember to put it in once a month and remove it for a week 3 weeks later. Prior to starting the NuvaRing I had awful period symptoms. I had really heavy bleeding for 7 days to the point I became anemic due to the blood loss and the NuvaRing has changed my period to being very light and lasting at most 5 days and reduced my previously awful acne. My only problem is that sometimes it slides down inside the vagina and can poke out or be uncomfortable but it can be put back in place with your finger.

October 2, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by shel1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Pros: ease of use, decreased acne, reduced headaches which was wonderful. Cons: 15 lbs weight gain in 6 months, unprecedented! Reduced sex drive and slight depression. Discharge and yeast infection for first 2 months, terrible breakthrough bleeding.

October 1, 2014 4:17 AM

Review by LiFlower (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After 4 months of use... Pros: very convenient, no acne. Cons: 10lb weight gain over 3 months (no change in exercise or diet), severe bloating, cramps, headaches, slight sadness.

September 24, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Nylzor:

I have never had a great experience with birth control in the 10 or so years I've been using it. I seem especially sensitive to hormones, though some affect me more severely than others. I love the ease of Nuvaring. I often forgot to take my pills and this completely solved that problem. I am on my third month of using Nuvaring, and here are the side effects that are causing me to consider not using it anymore: moodiness, agitation, strong food cravings, really painful gas, abdominal pain, irritation during sex, fatigue. It feels like month long PMS. I snap at people, eat Cheetos and fries several times a day (before Nuvaring I never ate chips or fast food), and have constant pain and pressure from gas. I can't take it anymore!

September 23, 2014 4:28 PM

Review by KAC9174:

I actually loved the Nuvaring! I did have some side effects such as cramping and breakthrough bleeding, as well as the ring actually sliding out. I know it is unheard of, but I did gain weight on the Nuvaring, nothing major but a good 5 pounds! I used the ring for about three months. I recently switched to Lutera to see if I like that better. I will post a review on Lutera when I use it longer.

September 14, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Kerry101010:

I'm always tired and moody! I always feel sad and get angry and rageful very easily. I'm emotional and I no longer feel the desire to do the things I used to enjoy, waking up is a task every morning, my job has become more difficult and I feel like I've lost all my motivation, I can't wait too be off the Nuvaring I'm hoping I can go on an IUD or something better. I haven't gained any weight and I've been on it for two years but the side effects just aren't worth it. My husband and I seem to argue more and more. My breasts hurt all the time I feel nauseous and sick constantly and the smells of certain food make me sick. I might as well be pregnant.

August 25, 2014 11:43 PM

Review by Savannahu:

I love Nuvaring! I was put on Microgestin FE 1/20 but stopped after the first month due to awful cramping in my arms/legs (which I still get during PMS) a year later I started NuvaRing and so far it has been no hassle at all. My breasts have grown at least half a cup size and while my acne isn't gone it's lightened considerably. My periods are light, 4 days long and I have little to no cramping when before I would be unable to move for hours due to menstrual cramps/ovulation and my flow was heavy for at least 5 days. I hope this method keeps working for me, and I recommend it to anyone looking for an easy method of birth control

August 19, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by QueenBelle:

My doctor put me on NuvaRing just shy of 3 months ago as a temporary alternative to the Assure procedure due to me needing to take birth control 3 months before the process. Previously I had not taken any hormones in over 10 yrs. The first month was fine. NO problems and I had a lighter cycle than usual. The 2nd month I started having crazy mood swings, and bloating. At this stage I just saw my OB/Gyn today because I have gained so much weight and bloat. I'm unable to wear my regular clothes. I work out 4x a wk eat healthy (almost vegeterian) and my only caffeine is a daily cup of coffee. My doctor said I have gained 10 lbs and need to remove NuvaRing.

August 6, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Erae (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I loved the Nuva Ring! I switch to it after being on Yasmin & seeing all of the scary commercials about it (which I liked too, but I'm a hypochondriac). I liked the fact that I just put it in & didn't have to worry about it for 3 weeks & I always started my period on the same day which was very helpful! I think I gained about 10 lbs while taking it, but I don't think that was due to the birth control, my husband also never noticed it during sex, added bonus;) I wish I could take it while breastfeeding, but my doctor doesn't recommend it. Overall, I loved it!

July 28, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by Mzz:

The Nuvaring has worked for me. I have never tried any other form of birth control, and I started using it 6 years ago help with a very irregular, long, and heavy period. It also helped clear up my skin then, and when I went off birth control my periods did get heavier, and sometimes I had debilitating cramps, plus I suffered from bad adult acne that nothing would fix. Within 3 months of going back on the Nuvaring my acne cleared right up, and immediately my periods got shorter, lighter, and were less painful. I didn't note any significant mood changes, or changes in sex drive (but mine has never been especially high). I have experienced significant vaginal discharge, but it is normal aside from increased quantity. It is very convenient

July 27, 2014 12:30 AM

Review by The contraceptive Guinea Pig (taken for less than 1 month):

I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and my gynaecologist initially recommended the Mirena to help manage it. The inserting process was impossible and so dismissed. Next up was the patch... Worst decision of my life. Nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue.. That lasted me 3 days. Next up was the Nuva Ring. I'm going into my third week and so far it's doing better than anything else I've tried. My side effects are awful headaches and cramps here and there. Other than that I feel perfectly fine. If the headache gets bad I simply use a pain killer and voila! I'll definitely recommend to anyone that can't use a high dose contraceptive like me. I think the low dose in the ring could make a huge difference. Can't knock it till you try it!

July 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by No fun Nikki (taken for 1 to 6 months):

2 months into using Nuvaring, I found myself never wanted to leave the house, everyone and everything annoyed and frustrated me. After a fight with my best friend I had realized that I wasn't myself. Nuvaring was the only difference in my life and I stopped using it that day. Withing days my mood adjusted back to regular. But I will never put up with that depression again, not saying that happens to everyone.

July 17, 2014 11:24 PM