Medication Guide App

User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

Review by No fun Nikki (taken for 1 to 6 months):

2 months into using Nuvaring, I found myself never wanted to leave the house, everyone and everything annoyed and frustrated me. After a fight with my best friend I had realized that I wasn't myself. Nuvaring was the only difference in my life and I stopped using it that day. Withing days my mood adjusted back to regular. But I will never put up with that depression again, not saying that happens to everyone.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by netsirk:

NuvaRing caused for me to have no sex drive whatsoever. I've only been on it for 2 weeks and I'm fairly certain it's not allowing me to loose weight. I ride my bike 16 miles daily and have still gained a pound. I've also gotten a urinary tract infection in the 2 weeks. I'm considering getting off of the ring all together.

July 16, 2014 8:20 AM

Review by dunmac88 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was really excited about getting back on birth control, as I have had negative experiences with the pill. After less than 24 hours, I could tell a huge change in the way I felt, overall. I had a pounding headache, I felt like I had not slept in three days, and I wanted to eat everything in sight. I tried to stick it out, but after a week, I gave up and decided to take it out. All of the symptoms vanished within 2-3 days.

July 15, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Serah:

Used the ring for 6 months. I gained 20 pounds. I went from 120 to 140. Its not very easy for me to gain weight. Had a lot of discharge that made it extremely uncomfortable. I never get yeast infections and got one on the ring. And my sex drive went way down on the ring. I am switching back to the pill cause I've never had any problems with the pill only minor and I've used the pill for 3 years.

July 11, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by Ringaroungtherosy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nuvaring was very effective and easy to use especially during college. My clinician helped me choose it after disliking the Depo because it took away my period. My favorite thing about it was that I knew when my period was coming and I could skip my period if I needed too. The only real side effect I thought I saw was a major decrease in my sex drive, but that also could have been because of the stress of college so I'm not really too keen on saying it was really a side effect.

July 5, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by grace_109:

So I jsut switched from the Pill to the ring (I was on the pill for three years and needed something more convenient. At first I loved it because all I had to do was slip it in and forget for three weeks. Two weeks into it however I have begun breaking out all over my body (I NEVER break out, EVER) and my forehead is littered with pimples. I've gotten moody, sore and I'm nauseous beyond belief. After reading about others experiences, I'm starting to get that its a common thing. I'm switching back to the pill. This isn't worth the convenience. Plus, its two times the cost of what I was paying for the pill.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Kellylala:

I have been using Nuvaring for a year now and have decided to take it out. In that year I gained almost 30 pounds and have had insane mood swings. I kept it in so long because I thought other things we're causing this untill I talked to my doctor.

June 23, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Sterling22 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm gonna keep it short and sweet; I've been on about a week, taking it to help with PMS. No initial symptoms other than slight increase in random emotional upheaval. After about 3 days, exhaustion kicked in along with unnecessary bursts of anger, frustration or sadness. 4-6 days, mass fatigue, appalling headaches (I promise you, I'm not exaggerating!) crazy outbreaks of spots, nausea and lightheadedness. I'm going to stick it through for at least another week and will update. I would obviously prefer to follow through see if it settles down but I have rather a lot to do in the next few months and would rather not be impeded by my hormones. Good luck! It's worth a try- you can always take it out if it disagrees with you. -Alex Sterling

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by dsuare (taken for less than 1 month):

This is my first time ever being on birth control and so far I'm loving this NuvaRing. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. No acne only side effect is that I can't keep anything down all I want to eat is fruits and salads, my doctor said it was normal and that maybe this will help with the anxiety I had before. But everybody is different lets keep that in mind.

June 17, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Nuvaring 3 weeks and 2 days ago. I loved it because I didn't have to remember to take a pill. That was the extent of my happiness. Within 1 week i started to get complaints about my attitude and people were genuinely concerned about what was wrong with me. Within 2 weeks I had severe anxiety and depression with suicidal thoughts. I know people say it takes time to get used to, but I would've been dead by then. Prior to the 3 week mark, I had stabbing pain near/in my heart. That occurred for 2 days, on the second day I said goodbye to my Nuvaring. I did research 2 days after I removed it and found out that it isn't recommended if you have ever had depression, and I had PPD very badly (psych ward for 3 days, yeah, bad).

June 14, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by tilA...:

I started using Nuvaring a month ago. I'm normally very dull when it comes to sex since giving birth to my son. Nuvaring changed that. I'm always wanting sex now, my husband loves it. No breakouts and we don't feel it during sex and I can just live a regular life. I don't see any weight gain but I believe it's too early to know. My only side effect I dislike is the nausea.

May 31, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by kc12814 (taken for less than 1 month):

My whole reasoning to get on birth control was to help my miserable cramps, and periods. Saying that it was my first time on birth control, my midwife and I decided that the Nuvaring was the best route to go. I put it in the first day of my cycle, and I bled for three days (I have a five day cycle). I was so excited to have no cramps, and a short period. Then, about a week later I started getting horrendous cramps, even worse than my period cramps. The cramping wouldn't go away, along with the cramping - my skin changed from silky soft to desert dry, and I was extremely itchy all over my body. Come to find out, I was actually allergic to the Nuvaring. Some other symptoms that I got with the Nuvaring were zits, hunger, and moody!

May 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by Allycia (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on NuvaRing for one year now. Overall, I like it. My experience is as follows: I heard that I could bleed irregularly at first. The ENTIRE first month was a very long, miserable period. I heard that it could make me emotional. Boy was that an understatement. Granted, I was going through a tough time in my relationship; the hormone changes ultimately forced the demise of it. I was borderline suicidal for the second month of using NuvaRing. LUCKILY, month 3 I was almost back to the right levels of hormones and my period was coming 3 days after I took the ring out. The last few months have been weird because it comes 4 or so days after removing it. Perk: Insurance covered it and saved me all $108 it cost each month!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Tasha<3:

I absolutely love the Nuvaring! I've been on it for 6 months now and I have had no problems with it! I've had no side effects actually, I think it's helped clear up side effects from the last birth control I was on. My sex life is very normal, if not better. Neither me nor my boyfriend can feel the ring during intercourse. I recommend this to everyone! But also remember that not everyone is the same and this could affect someone else differently!

May 21, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by MeShelllllll (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I switched over to the NuvaRing from Gildess FE 1/20 simply for the convenience. Gildess worked great for me, no side effects, so I figured I would try NuvaRing. I had to stop it after two months. The second month on the ring, I experienced off and on anxiety, depression at times, unmotivated, and just not like myself. I attributed it to it being finals week in college... but when I didn't feel at peace at all during break, I knew something was wrong. I even flipped out on my boyfriend for no reason and ignored him. The final straw was the random crying outbursts I experienced. Nothing was bothering me, but I found myself fighting back random tears. Back to Gildess for me! Thank god! I can't sacrifice emotional stability for convenience.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Kadie.:

I've been on Nuvaring for a year and a half, and I really like it. I had problems with mood swings and spotting with the pill so a friend said to try the ring and its eliminated those problems for me. The down sides are decreased sex drive for one week of my cycle after my period, and for the first 6 month I experienced dryness but that went away. I really enjoy not taking a pill and feeling like myself, I am also more confident about the effectiveness. My boyfriend has felt the ring during intercourse 3 times since I have been using it. I'm very happy with the Nuvaring.

April 28, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by Jackyjack:

My experience has been good so far. I've been on Nuvaring for three weeks now and I'm about to have my first period. I have not gained weight, it has helped clear my acne and I am not pregnant, so it works. The only downsides have been lots of breast tenderness which has FINALLY passed and bad cramps, randomly. I've never had bad cramps so that part does suck. I plan to continue using this form of birth control.

April 24, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Nuvaring for about 4 years or so. I love it! I don't have much acne, light short periods. The only down side is that during intercourse the ring causes discomfort. Other then that I would suggest it to everyone.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 10:26 PM

Review by Sndcrzy:

I am super happy with this form of birth control. I was on the pill for years and I would become crazy. The first month on the NuvaRing I did bleed for almost 3 weeks. I freaked out a little, but when I changed it the next month the bleeding stopped and everything is great. I would totally recommend this to anyone! I never feel it, doesn't affect my sex life or drive. Boyfriend doesn't feel it. I am 100% happy.

April 23, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started using the NuvaRing in early December 2013, and I stopped using it after my month trial was up. I had a few side effects: weight gain(with no change in diet), headaches, NO sex drive, and periods that started a week early. I was on the pill for a year and a half with none of these side effects. The NuvaRing just isn't for me.

April 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by a migaine sufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

It gave me a brownish dishcharge that would not go away until I pulled it out for good. It also did not stay flush to my cervix as I expected it would.

April 16, 2014 3:48 AM

Review by Angry at nuvaring:

I have been on and off the ring for years I'd say at least 7yrs..from the time I was 18. The first few years it was great! No side effects. Everything else I had tried made me a psychopath. Fast forward to now I'm a different person. Mine and my husband's sex life is gone. Nonexistent. The dryness is terrible, breast tenderness almost daily. No weight gain or acne but I would trade that for my normal sex life back. Perfect birth control if you are forgetful but I'm to my limit on patience with it.

April 6, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Kdonald10:

After reading 107 reviews on the ring and about 100 of them being bad experiences I was very nervous to try the ring. I decide to still try since I was horrible at remembering the pill, and I have to say I am so happy I gave it a chance. I absolutely love the ring. I cannot feel it at all, I have lost weight from it, I have more energy, no more moodiness, and just all around a happier person. The only side effect that I had and that only happen the first day was my face broke out a little. I have always had clear skin, but my first day trying it my chin broke out but after a couple days it cleared up and I have not had a problem since. I would recommend everyone to try it.

April 3, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by TennilleB:

I have been on pills for years, and in 2012 I tried Mirena. I had cramps and terrible side effects all the time and just had it taken out last month because I have gained around 10lbs in my stomach area. I have been on Nuvaring for about 2 weeks and so far it's way better. As soon as Mirena was removed my weird stomach pains stopped, but I'm still trying to lose the extra weight.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by Izzy83 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This is my second time being on the NuvaRing and overall I really like it. However, I have experienced weight gain which I thought was what I was eating and drinking but looking back, the weight gain started right when I switch back from the pill to the NuvaRing. I don't have health insurance so I pay $103 every three weeks but to me, I find it so much easier then the pill. I wish my breats grew a cup size which is my only negative after reading other women's messages.

April 3, 2014 12:10 AM