Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

NuvaRing review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for NuvaRing to treat Birth Control

Review by Shae S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Nuvaring for four months and don't plan on going off. I tried the pill, but I have a severe reaction to lactose which all birth control pills contain. It made me bleed constantly and bloat and just feel sad all the time. With this I have none of those symptoms, so I already love it for that. I don't have to remember a pill. I used to have 5 day heavy periods every six weeks. Now they're two days, light enough for a liner, and every nine weeks. I'm not gaining weight or bloating. My moods have been stable until I take the ring out for my 'period' but that's normal PMS for me. Sex drive may be decreased but that suits my husband better anyway. It's defintely not gone completely! It's never fell out. I love it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 9:26 AM

Review by cassfrass:

I was on NuvaRing for about six months. For the first month or two, I had terrible headaches at the end of the days I had class, but everything else was fine. Fast forward to 3-5 months, I was moody, I was even a little depressed, and I had no sex drive. I wanted to eat everything in sight. From the second month to the sixth month, I gained about twenty pounds with no significant lifestyle changes or dietary changes besides the NuvaRing. If you are tolerant of high hormone levels and don't gain weight, this might be a good option for you. It stays in for three weeks and comes out the fourth week for your period (which mine came very regularly while on it). If it wasn't for the significant weight gain, I would have stayed on it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 5:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I would only recommend this birth control to someone that is trying to sleep with my boyfriend-because it made me bloated, bleed constantly for 2 months, back aches (complete period symptoms non stop for 2 months), and gain weight- huge turn offs to anyone. I am in so much bodily discomfort and have been bleeding for so long now it is definitely preventing pregnancy. I cannot wait to switch to another form of birth control. It feels like a combination of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and being pregnant.

April 16, 2015 11:03 AM

Review by Megannnnn:

I was using the nuva ring for about a year and a half.. Maybe a little over. At first I noticed a change in my attitude as if it almost made me crazy, emotional, & snippy. I was excited to have my period shortened to a day a month with clear skin while also being protected from pregnancy so the mood change wasn't a big deal. About 6-7 months after being on it I started gaining weight with no diet change. Now looking back I went from 153-198lbs. Also my sex drive decreased 100%!! If it weren't for my boyfriend loving sex, sex probably wouldn't even cross my mind. Went off it last week with high hopes because the side effects aren't worth it after the convenience wears off.

April 15, 2015 2:28 PM

Review by Yaz55:

I've been using nuva ring for 3 month is the best choice ever. I had IUD and also taken pills and my body reject all of them .. With the NuvaRing everything is great I ovulate every month .. Sex mood is on point. My advice for everyone that's having different mood swing . We all have different body shape, weight, hight etc .. But is nice we get to help one another with feed back !!!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 3:54 PM

Review by gmaswag:

I understand there are risks associated with any form of contraception. I had associated the headache and mood swings I experience with the Nuva Ring as run of the mill symptoms related to my cycle. Although I did not experience these headaches at all or these levels of mood swings before starting the NuvaRing, I explained them to myself as the normal adult symptoms I’d developed with getting older as I didn’t want to cry wolf or say the sky was falling when it wasn’t. Basically I didn’t want to be a hypochondriac, trying instead to approach pain and the levels thereof rationally with the understanding that pain is a signal, or rather an alert the body sends to the brain from the area of the body that is experiencing some kind of distress w

April 9, 2015 4:03 PM

Review by Helper456789:

I've been on Nuvaring for 6 years. I was on the pill before which didn't work for me. Nuvaring is awesome because I have a period every 9 weeks. Periods are easy. But it worries me being on birth control this long. It also has hurt me being on too especially. Kills my sex drive. I don't know if it has affected my weight or that was just myself. I've been on it so long.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2015 11:57 PM

Review by Emankcinaa (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I originally got prescribed the Nuvaring because I had horrible menstrual problems but I also now use it as actual birth control as well. It was strange to me at first because of the insertion, but now it's easier and nothing new. The only thing I'd have to say that I didn't like at first with this birth control was the nausea, dizziness and mood swing I had within the first (about) three months. I still have mood swings sometimes, but I think it's just an age thing. I also have not gained any unwanted weight from using this contraceptive, which is a huge thing for me. Overall, I'd have to say I really like this birth control and would recommend it to anyone that can handle it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I like/dislike the NuvaRing because before I would always forget to take the pill and with this I'm not pregnant. But the only down side is that I have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever. And to find out the reason why and that I'm not the only one that this happens to is so relieving. So I will be switching soon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 3:09 PM

Review by Sarah S:

When I first started using the ring I had absolutely horrible anxiety for about 2 weeks. It faded with time. I didn't have any other major side effects other than it made my face explode with hormonal acne. I had very mild acne and it got worse every month that I used the ring. I had to stop taking it for that reason. I switched to Beyaz and I have zero side effects and my acne is 80% better after a week.

March 26, 2015 3:33 PM

Skeptical at first but I absolutely love it. On my third month and no side effects. Period starts like clock work 3 days after I take it out, and last about 3 days. I give it a 9 because I do dry out during intercourse, otherwise it's been great!

March 19, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by arhlpn:

I had commented before and I also wanted to say that I haven't experienced any mood swings and I STILL WANT TO HAVE SEX! The pill made me hate sex but my drive hasn't suffered a bit with the Nuvaring. I love it and HIGHLY recommend it.

February 17, 2015 9:09 PM

Review by Tarabelle2417:

When I began using birth control, I had severe reactions to every pill that the doctor gave me. Of the side effects which are listed on the pamphlet,I had all of them except the most severe ones. I had three periods in 2 months and I was shaking and in a great deal of pain. I am small and to me it felt like a massive overdose. The Nuvaring has been a lifesaver. The ring slowly releases the hormones so I don't feel overwhelmed and saved me from a lot of future worry and stress.

February 16, 2015 1:57 AM

Review by NikkiS13:

Pros: No remembering pills, easy insertion/removal, never feel it/think about it, significantly less cramping with periods Cons: First 1.5 months had constant bleeding (but that is very rare now), occasional pain with intercourse (but I just remove it for the time and replace it later), some dryness during intercourse

February 15, 2015 8:12 PM

Review by LC7926 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pros: Didn't get pregnant, regular periods, no cramping, no weight loss Cons: NO libido at all, heavy periods on the first two days I have been on the pill, the shot, and Nuvaring. I would LOVE this birth control if it weren't for the absence of libido on it. If you only want it regulate your period, I would suggest it.

February 9, 2015 2:56 PM

Review by Kate88webs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Problems with periods after going off Nuva ring. Irregular periods for over 6 months

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 8:07 PM

Review by attagirlfromHTX (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have a love/hate relationship with NuvaRing. I love that I don't have to worry about a daily pill, light periods, normal moods vs pill, no cramps...almost everything I want! I hate that the ring wants to slip out half the time, painful for me and partner during sex, & decreased sex drive. I plan on switching.

February 5, 2015 9:59 PM

Review by Erika Munoz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I always wanted Nuvaring and now my insurance covers it. It's amazing. I'm not weirded out by my own body so I have no problem inserting and taking it out. I don't have to remember to insert it at the same time every day, so automatically I'm a perfect user! I had no side effects, which would make sense since its a lower dose at a constant rate. My sex drive has actually increased, not likely from the ring itself, but from the peace of mind knowing I didn't forget a dose. Totally recommend to anyone who can afford it, or who have bad memory and rather pay for the ring than for an accidental baby.

January 28, 2015 1:55 PM

Review by Britt0215:

I love the Nuvaring. I am skeptical if I've gained weight from it though and my sex drive did decrease.

January 26, 2015 2:22 AM

Review by LisaBrizown:

I actually like it. I did not always remember to take the pill. When I first put the ring in I had brown discharge for about a week which was annoying but once I got past it, it was okay. The only thing I don't like it absolutely no sex drive. I'm switching back to the pill.

January 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Review by Alexa9595:

Nuvaring is great. No problems ever during intercourse or taking it out/ putting it in. Protects against "accidents" multiple times a month. Worth the money as opposed to pill!!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by Nellyx0:

I've been on Nuvaring over a year and I love it. No weight gain. No side effects. Easy to insert and remove and doesn't bother me during intercourse. Recommend it.

December 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by MissHarris (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I absolutely loved this birth control. Was on it for 8 years and would still be on it now, except that when I switched jobs, my new insurance didn't cover it. No weight gain, super clear skin, no mood swings, light periods with no cramping and the convenience of not having to take a pill everyday. Couldn't feel it inside me at all and it never bothered my husband or me during intercourse. Highly recommend.

December 26, 2014 11:54 PM

Loved this method of birth control at first. Used it for about 9 months took it out for two weeks and slowly fell into a depression (never been depressed in life). I have put it back in and hopefully will go back to normal until I can find a way to slowly remove the hormones from my body with out going cold turkey. It was great not having to remember to take a pill everyday but the side effects just aren't worth it to me.

November 22, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by SophieRose:

This was an effective form of birth control because it completely killed my desire to have sex. When I did, it was sometimes painful because I could not get sufficiently lubricated or aroused. It also fell out during sex but not very often. Otherwise, I experienced no weight gain or hormonal issues.

November 14, 2014 10:06 PM