User Reviews for NuvaRing

Learn more about NuvaRing.

Birth Control 655 reviews 275 medications

6.9
Summary of NuvaRing reviews 655 reviews 6.9

Reviews for NuvaRing

For Birth Control "I switched from the pill to the ring, and I am now back on the pill. I did love how easy it was and didn't have to think about it everyday, but I did experience vaginal dryness and a decreased libido (which I mean, is good when you don't want to be pregnant, and don't even want to have sex to begin with). I experienced a disconnect with my body and mind, my mind would be willing but I could not become lubricated, and vise versa. I do have to say I feel back to normal being back on the pill. Still consider trying the ring because every body is different and are affected by hormone levels differently. It just wasn't right for me and my body."

AudRose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the Nuva ring now for two years. I personally love it ! It's so much easier to use than having to take a pill everyday. I used to have a 7 day period and now it's 3 full days and 2 spotting days. I used to get horrible side effects from the pill but the only negative side effect from the Nuva ring is that about 2 weeks out of the month I don't have really any sex drive but I'll take that over acting like a lunatic and not even getting to have sex cause I scared my partner off haha. Hope this helps !"

Kristie_lynn April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "No one is the same and NuvaRing obviously works for some but it did not for me. I'm on my third month and just took it out for good. It put me in a permanent funk..and by that I mean constantly paranoid or sad and I would also be upset with my boyfriend over nothing. I hadn't been on BC at all for about 2 years before. Without birth control I do get PMS the week before my period which was toned down by the ring but it feels like it just spread it out to a more mild PMS the whole time (terrible!). My sex drive was noticeably diminished to the point where I didn't even want to have sex sometimes (and that NEVER happens lol). Overall, good for acne and regulating the period but not worth the emotional instability and sex drive effects."

anita12333 April 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Ive never written a review about bc. I've been using Nuva ring for 2 months now and I'm enjoying it. I think I've found the right method that works for me and my body. I was nervous about it because I still have not found anything wrong. This might just be the one! I was on the pill before and I definitely felt the side effects...I was hungry all the time, breakouts, moodiness and depression...and weight gain. With the Nuva ring my weight has been stable (I did start a workout/diet plan so this may be the reason why I haven't gained any weight. No moodiness, no nausea, no headaches. I don't feel it during sex neither does my partner. Very easy process. The only thing I've noticed is that my libido has decreased significantly!"

MelaDriguez (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on the Nuva ring for about 6 years now. Never had any problems from beginning to now. I did have horrible cramps my first month using it when my period came but after a few months my body got used to it.. I now only have a period that's about 3-5 days and I enjoy how it spots right before I take the ring out so I know it's time for my monthly cycle. It's easy to insert & you don't have to think about having to take a pill everyday. I did notice thatwhen I had no health insurance, I went about a month without it; I had gotten my period & it was horribly heavy & terrible cramps. But after restarting everything got back to normal. I never noticed any weight gain or mood changes. My sex drive has stayed the same over all these years."

Breanna p April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I started using the NuvaRing in around November 2015. Everything was perfect for the first two-three months. In January I got my period and it was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt, I didn't think I could survive. It lasted 2 months, filled with terrible cramps and very heavy bleeding. SO i had enough of it and i took it out and my period stop a week after I took it out. A month later i got my period again and amazingly it was shorter and there was barely any pain... I hope it stays that way. I really loved the NuvaRing when i first started it, but it seemed so have completely stopped working which is weird."

vegmegg April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm going on my third month of Nuvaring. I have had about a four pound weight gain (I attribute it to my eating habits), increased moodiness, and my acne has progressively worsened. However, this is the best and most convenient birth control method I have had. My sex drive has not decreased, no vaginal irritation but excessive lubrication, my period lasts 2-3 days, and no spotting while ring is inserted. My breasts are tender around the second to third week, but nothing severe. Additionally, during my second month I did have a case of nausea and vomiting for about two days; I'm not sure where this stemmed from though. Overall, I give Nuvaring a thumbs up for me."

CC93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Nuvaring was the first birth control I was ever on and I've never had any terrible issues with it in the 4 years I've had it so far (18-21) My periods are so regular I can nearly tell down to the hour when it will start! My acne cleared up but I did gain a little weight but nothing crazy. Only issues is breast tenderness a week before my period that can get annoying but otherwise this birth control has been great and super easy to remember. Also, I was able to change my schedule for a vacation so I got my period a week before travelling which was amazing, it didn't screw up my body...just read the pamphlet on how to properly do this (and don't do it all the time!)"

Jessie_Triton (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I just took mine out. I had irregular periods, always bled after or during sex, and I just genuinely feel like it really was messing with my whole reproductive system! No sex drive either, as in I could never have sex again while on this drug and I'd be fine."

jjbd1258 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on nuvaring for exactly one full week and it was the worst week of my life. No matter how much I slept I was still tired. My normal sleeping cycle was now 13+ hours a day. I was so moody it almost made me and my boyfriend break up. The depression was insane! I cried so much within this week and I can't even explain why. My friend is on the nuvaring and she faces none of this side effects so I guess it depends on you. I personally will stay away for birth control as a whole from now on. The side effects were terrible and I truly hope I can bounce back from this."

Sonic94 April 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I am still on Nuvaring but am ready for a change. I don't feel like myself anymore. I feel lost, confused and it's very hard for me to feel happy without feelings of anxiety and panic overcoming me. I have recurring negative thoughts that give me anxiety that I cannot stop. I feel like I'm spinning out of control and unable to control my thoughts. I have "crazy" outbursts and am extremely sensitive. I have noticed that in the past few months that I go through one week where I feel like I should completely change my life- pack up and move away, usually the week before I take the ring out. I'm ready to be done with Nuvaring forever!"

Mary610 April 8, 2016

For Birth Control "Pros: insert once a month & forget about it Cons: little to no sex drive, anxiety, mood swings, anger, depression, dryness, burning during and after sex, bloating, slight weight gain near stomach.. I've been on and off of Nuvaring since 2011. And it wasn't till this last time that I realized that it is what's causing or atleast helping all of these negative things. I've now been on it for 10 months straight and I am taking it out tonight and saying good riddance. I love the idea of Nuvaring but the side effects made my life/ my boyfriend :/ just a little bit more miserable than it needs to be. But I also know it really does work for some people, just not for me!"

zo1234 April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I started the nuvaring about 3 years ago. At first I had some pretty terrible mood swings and migraines. I did also gain a small amount of weight. Within 3 months of going on it my acne got significantly worse, but then completely cleared up in 5-6 months! The trick with this birth control is to definitely give it time. My headaches and moodiness lessened (now I just get a bit emotional around my period) and my sex drive has returned to normal. PROS: super convenient, light 2 day periods, bigger breasts, helped clear skin. CONS: takes a LONG TIME to adjust, slight weight gain, headaches, occasional moodiness."

sofa.lofa April 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I absolutely love the ring. I don't have any side effects and it's so easy to only remember to take it in/out once a month compared to a pill everyday. My partner says that it is noticeable during foreplay but that he can not feel it at all during sex, nor can I. It has came out two maybe three times before during sex but you can just put it right back in so its not a big deal. I really do love this BC and I would recommend it 10/10 times."

Emd1222 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

For Birth Control "NuvaRing is great for me! I had no side effects, my partner doesn't feel it during sex, it never fell out and I feel much safer with it. You put it in and forget about it for 3 weeks! I was on oral pills before and they were very strong on me. I had less sex drive, but absolutely no acne. Now, with a lower hormone dose from NuvaRing, I have more acne, but also more sex drive and I will more comfortable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello I started Nuvaring a week n two days ago everything was fine. Until a day later I keep having this pressure down there and I was very irritated while having sex last night. I've used every birth control there is an nothing suited me. My sex drive had decreased nausea every morning. Took my ring out after sex bc I was so irritated my docs nurse says I may have had a reaction to it. Any advice. On why I am experienceing this. I have no put in another ring. BC of the intence pressure n irrigation"

babygirl55 March 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Finishing up my first month with the Nuva ring. Maybe I'm being too quick to judge but so far my experience has only been great. I haven't had any weight/appetite gain, mood swings or massive fatigue. I believe it has slowed down the rate at which my super annoying few stray chin hairs grow in (seriously, I used to have to pluck like 6-7 coarse hairs outta my chin every other day for the last 4 years). It hasn't decreased my sex drive... If anything it's increased it. I have had tender breasts since inserting it, but I'm actually a big fan of that feeling. My boobs are noticeably bigger and it makes me feel really sexy. It hasn't fallen out and I've had plenty of vigorous sex with my partner. I certainly hope things stay in this way. Try it"

Gna7171771 March 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Nuvaring for about 6 months now. I am uncontrollably miserable, I am literally watching myself be a monster to my husband and kids and I can not even control it! It's like if they even breath in my direction I want to tear them apart. Also my sex drive is so low I couldn't care less if I ever have sex again which is NOT normal for me. When we do have sex I have such terrible vaginal dryness I can't even enjoy it. I've noticed I am super exhausted, I am falling asleep on the couch at 7:30pm!(but I am unsure if this is related to the Nuvaring.) I will not be putting the ring back in after this menstrual cycle ends. I'm not even myself anymore! It's to the point of hurting my marriage which has NEVER been effected before."

ImPsycho (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I am getting ready to end my 3rd month on the nuvaring... I used to be on BeYaz but couldn't stand the mood alteration and it was making my anxiety levels very high. When I went off of it my acne (which was nonexistent before) popped up like crazy! My gyno recommended the nuvaring because unlike the pill where you get one high dose of hormones, the ring gives you a continuous dose of hormones. Here is a list of my pros/cons for the ring. pros: no mood alteration at all, no weight gain that I can tell, not pregnant cons: discharge, you can feel it, I got a UTI within the first month of using it, your partner can feel it during sex, its difficult to get wet, and it doesn't help with acne at all"

Ntaylor8308 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I have just taken the nuvaring out (cannot get hold of doctor until monday) as the first month on it I found my mood changed. Got very angry arguing with my SO and blowing up over very minute things. Thought I'd try for a second month but within 2 days I found myself emotional waking up crying for no reason irritable depressed. So on my day I will go back to the drawing board with my doctor. Apart from the mods I've had no other symptoms but the are too server for me to deal with."

aisharebecca March 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Nuvaring for about 6 weeks. The first month was perfectly fine! The only problem I had was it would pop out during sex, which is actually a normal occasion. You can even take it out before you are getting ready to have sex as long as you put it back in within 3 hours. My problems with it didn't start until a few days after I inserted my second month Nuvaring. I became so emotionally unstable. I cried for two days in a row over nothing and would become irrationally angry with my boyfriend over nothing. Plus all this negative attitude and constant stress about it led to some serious stress eating. It was a great birth control at first. I had no bleeding, cramps or body aches with it but these mood swings are killing me."

Mbrown199 March 10, 2016

For Birth Control "Clearly the nuva ring doesn't work the same for everyone but I love it. Stick it in once a month and forget about it. Cleared my face up and it didn't affect my sex drive. Occasionally I experience dryness but that's what lube is for ladies!! Don't be afraid to try it I'm sure your partner will be open to the ideA."

Glorious92 March 9, 2016

For Birth Control "The first time I was on nuva for about 8 months and got pregnant. Imy thinking the cause could have been another medication I was on while using nuva. After that pregnancy I had started using nuva again with no there medications, was using it Sept 2015 to march 2016. I started getting bad leg cramps, migraines, shortness of breath, dizziness, bad abdominal pain, and some days couldn't get out of bed to take care of my 3 kids I was in so much pain. I stopped using it and have a drs appt to check for a blood clot and anything else that could be going on. Alot of my pain and migraines have decreased since being off it just 5 days. Still experiencing some pain in my knees, and some abdominal pain, but for the most part way better thandle I was."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I wanted to share my experience with the hope no one else will have to deal with. I have used depo, the pill, IUD and have now went with the nuvaring. I started that February 1, 2016 and it was out by February 22, 2016 (mind you I was told to keep it in until the 25th). Why because of lots of things. I most of the side of effects and it took me a week to put that's why I felt how I did. I was sleepy, nausea like crazy, and cramping. I read the side effects over and over. I never put that the pain I was having in my chest was part off it. February 23,2016 I found out I have a blood clot in my right lung caused by nuvaring!! This has caused so much stress on my family. We are still dealing with it now!!"

Tee (not worth your life) (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Well a couple of years ago when I was 16 when I decided to get on the nuvaring . Long story short my sex drive was non existent. I also had vaginal dryness and even if we did do it it was painful. It also caused me to have UTIs I've never had one in my life before then. I stopped 5 months after starting. It was awful the only good thing was that my periods were regular."

Kimberly C February 29, 2016