User Reviews for Yasmin

Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"I have been on a number of pills in the past (aged 28, started 18) - I have been diagnosed with endometriosis so my reasoning for remaining on some sort of hormonal BC was vital to reduce the symptoms. I was placed on Yasmin after experiencing major mood swings/depression on Yaz. Yasmin seemed to reduce these mood swings considerably. Since Yasmin my periods, although regular, have been light and cramping has been reduced/completely absent. Amazing! (5 years on it now). I have been getting migraines for the last 2 years so might have to change my BC again. One's body changes with age, I guess our meds need to too."

InterestedBystander (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2016

"I've tried going on Yasmin twice before after being on different pills (I changed because of weight-gain), but never lasted more than 3 days on it because of the intense mood swings on it. This is the third time trying it and I'm just going on a week and I've never felt worse in my life. I get major mood swings, feel like I'm always on the verge of crying, getting easily irritated, getting jealous/paranoid and have a strange feeling of 'self-awareness'. I'm not happy and will be changing back to the previous pill as soon as possible. Seems to have worked well with others but for me, it's been a nightmare."

Unknown1801 January 10, 2016

"Been on this pill for about 8 months (changed from microgynon) and I've had a mixed experience. Periods are much lighter and less painful than ever before which is much better! However have found if I take pill packets back to back I always get breakthrough bleeding, which I haven't had with previous pills. Boobs have become more sensitive and got bigger, which I don't mind! But it's also meant I've put on almost a stone in 4 months without my lifestyle changing (I eat healthily, exercise regularly, have always had a good metabolism). Which has been really awful for my self esteem. This pill has given me high anxiety, made me feel depressed all the time. Really wouldn't recommend this pill"

Autumngirl7 December 18, 2015

"I went on Yasmin when I was 16, I hated it, the worst thing that I could of done. I was extremely depressed/ irritated/ bloated/ gained 10 lbs/ sleepy/ no sex drive , I would do rather of had a baby and 9 months of normal than go through that kind of depression. we used condoms ever since Stopping and now we are healthy happy and married with 2 kids, to this day still on no hormonal BC."

Better.to.go.natural (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

"I really like Yasmin. I have been using it for nine months and it has been great. It has been great for cramps and I have only experienced slight weight gain (due to increased cravings). The only side effect I had was nausea. I experienced nausea when I took the pill and did not have food in my stomach. If I ate before taking it, it was great! Overall, I have had a great experience with Yasmin."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2015

"I have been on Yasmin for 2 days and I have already experienced very noticeable weight loss and headaches and nausea. Yasmin was recommended to me by my doctor to help ease my pains that I had, everyday, every 2 hours I had horrible cramps that would prevent me from any physical activity. I will continue this packet to be able to determine the outcome of time..."

Andrea523 November 15, 2015

"I started Yasmin three months ago after having the implanon( contraceptive implant) for about 5 years. I switched over because I had started to experience irregular bleeding and just to mention because a lot of women worry about weight, on that contraception I was both oversight and underweight at different times just due to my eating and lifestyle ( don't think contraception made a difference) so far my experience of Yasmin has been good, I never had 'acne' but I swear overnight and since starting it I have not had one more pimple and skin has just felt a lot nicer( not too dry not too oily) I had the initial nausea for about 2 or 3 days and the occasional breast tenderness but hey that's to be expected when you are changing your hormones?"

Ellen93 October 21, 2015

"I didn't think there was a problem, no immediate reactions, 2 years and I'd put on 1st5lb, without changing my lifestyle. My (mild) acne seemed to improve and it was great being in control of my periods. Then I became moody, emotional, combative and depressed. Really depressed. I had migraines at least 3 attacks a month, I had hypertension. And because I had put on so much weight I was trying to lose it, playing football 3 times a week and 2 times a week to the gym, no big difference and I ate less than my slim friends. I don't smoke. I had Hypertension (185/135 being the highest reading). I stopped taking it and now I feel better, lost 10kg, happier, blood pressure is normal. Now I have polycystic ovaries, I blame that pill."

Chlo-bo September 26, 2015

"Yasmin made my skin worse then what it already was, my moods were a bit better but I didn't see a huge change, for me this pill didn't work"

Sandrahicks September 9, 2015

"I was on revigeon pill before for me it was awful I was moody 24/7. Everything and everyone just annoyed me. My family and boyfriend said I'd changed alot!! After 3 months of this stress I finally told my doctor and he put me on yasmin which was for me amazing. I've been on yas for about a month now! I found myself much happier and I felt myself again."

sophhhh August 21, 2015

"Having an awful time with yasmin have been on it about a year and a half have gained about a stone and a half l. Have tender breasts constantly. Sex drive is non existant its putting a strain on my relationship. Have increased 3 cup sizes since i started taking it. Cant wa8t to go see GP and get rid of this awful pill once and for all!"

Roberta x August 14, 2015

"This pill drove me nuts. After starting the first pack, within a few days I started to feel run down, but I persevered, allowing my body to adjust to it. I finished the first pack, took the break and then started the second pack. Hell. I was so nauseous, I really thought I was pregnant. My boobs were sore, I was tired... I was starting to get really scared. Additionally, I am a happy, upbeat person, but on yasmin, I felt sad; like I have never felt before. I could cry at the drop of a hat, I just felt like I was worthless (having never felt that before), and I could see no hope. It was so weird. My boyfriend, who I love dearly, became the most annoying person in the world. I came off it mid pack and within days I was back to myself."

Jeanie10 July 31, 2015

"I have tried Yasmin twice and this time it made me so nauseous that I couldn't go to college so I stopped. Then I decided to suck it up and carry on and I'm so glad I did because the feeling of sickness only lasted about 5 days and now I am fine. I feel that my appetite is suppressed so I don't eat as much. My boobs feel a bit tender and I have gone up a cup size. I am yet to see results on my skin, it's still quite bad but I assume it takes time to clear up. Also my last comment is that I have recently had difficulty breathing and my chest was really tight? The doctor said it is allergy related but I read online it can also be a reaction to Yasmin. My doctor said it was unlikely though."

Katieeeeya July 30, 2015

"This is my second pack, I have never felt worse, microgynon never made me feel so sick, I'm nauseous for a week and a half , everyday! The first pack did not make me sick. My sex drive is none existent now I'm so moody On the upside, I've lost weight."

gabbise (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

"I switched from Microgynon to Yazmin due to suffering from almost all terrible side effects including fatigue, loss of libido and mood swing. I have had 4 packs of Yazmin so far. At the first three months, I feel a lot better. I was happier and even had better libido. However, starting from the 4 packs, I started to have some side effects. I am slowly losing my libido and became moody. Yet, my breast seems to be bigger, had shorter and lighter period, and haven't had breast pain and fatigue at all."

Anonymous4515864865 June 4, 2015

"Switched from Microgynon to Yazmin due to suffering with headaches, fatigue & loss of libido. However, yaz did not really help to be honest! My periods were heavier and more painful on Yaz, I was moody, had painful breasts but one bonus was they were bigger! Still got headaches too oh and I gained 5lb during 6 mths of using this pill."

Joedi April 28, 2015

"I reccently started the Yasmin pill and at first I honestly didn't think I would be able to carry on with it because it was making me feel so nauseous! I also got really bad headaches which caused me to be really moody. However, my doctor told me to give it a few weeks to settle and for my system to get used to it. I was not happy about this let me say! I wanted to scream at her to feel how ill I felt. It got better though on the fifth day I woke up and I felt fine all of a sudden, all of the side effects I was feeling had just gone. I had terrible skin and it has make my skin so much better and I feel fine now. If you're taking it and you're feeling ill like I did - I know it feels like crap but honestly just hold on cause it will go."

Hannahscoffield April 19, 2015

"Been on Yasmin for 6 months now after years on all other brands under the sun. I have always been fit and healthy but for some reason on this pill and I even thinner. I can't gain weight no matter how bad I eat it's amazing ! The only down side is I am so hungry a lot of the time but it's awesome because it doesn't lead to any weight gain so I can eat as much as I want ! Also no cramps at all and I used to get them bad. Limited headaches. Finally after 12 years if found something that works super well for me"

Montymay March 15, 2015

"Been on Yasmin for 5 years. Always had brain fog. Gained 50lbs. Lost hair. Stressed. Appetite went way up. Recently decided to go off the pill. After period I instantly felt better. Sex drive is coming back. Just feel good. Hope it keeps up but I'm not going back."

Anonymous55521 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2015

"I've been on this pill for the past ten years and I love it. I've never had a menstrual cramp in my life, I never feel PMS symptoms (bloating, cravings, moodiness, etc). It has been helpful with acne. One downside is my sex drive has diminished but it's hard to tell if the pill is the culprit as I've been on it ten years. No weight gain from this either!"

Rawvjq (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2015

"I've been taking Yaz for 4 months now, I'm 16 years old. Few complaints, at the beginning this pill caused me horrible nausea and breast pain but that could be due to changing to Yasmin from Microgynon 30. Also I experienced spells of depressive moods which have now cleared up but I often experience mood swings! On a positive note my skin has cleared up massively and have maintained if not lost weight, great pill."

Josiejoe February 16, 2015

"During the first year, severe migraines, it felt like my head was going to explode, mood swings, loss of sex drive."

Joanne Halstead (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2014

"Took Yasmin for 6 months now and had some nausea in the beginning but I think my body is getting used to the pill. Overall, my mood has gotten better, I used to experience mood swings. I'm switching to Microgynon 30 and see how it works for me now."

Alyssesa October 9, 2014

"I have been taking Yasmin for 9 months and I can say that it had protected me effectively against pregnancy. I have read about some negative effects that have been linked to this pill. However, I decided to take it because my mother took it for years without experiencing any side effects. During my first cycle taking the pill, I experienced mild nausea and upset stomach occasionally. However, the symptoms were gone by the time I started my second pack. I have not noticed any changes in my weight or in my mood. I have frequent muscle cramps in my legs, but I am not sure that this is being caused by the pill."

K.M. September 17, 2014

"Mood improved dramatically, PMT gone! Completely, and this was becoming a problem as I'm 40 it seemed to be getting worse. I've lost a few pounds and find it easier to keep my weight down, it must be the diuretic and no fluid retention. Bigger breasts, bit tender but better with time, I've been on it nearly 3 months now. Libido maybe even better, as I feel happier. This is by far the best pill I've been on and I didn't take the pill for years because of the effects of weight gain, and libido. I've tried Mirena twice, awful, mini pill, mini pill injection cap and coil. Finally found one that suits, now my GP won't prescribe it! I will try family planning."

Lolalou (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2014