User Reviews for Yasmin

Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

Review by Ffion (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I've been on Yasmin for nearly two years but I've noticed my sex drive has gone and I get moody a lot more but it didn't make me gain any weight I'm going to change pills when I go to the doctors next.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2014 10:30 AM
Review by Pomba Gira (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I gave the Yasmin 10/10 as I started taking it for birth control and I did not become pregnant. But I want to point out some other effects Yasmin had on my body. I originally changed from Microgynon to Yasmin after a period of taking no birth control as I heard Yasmin could improve mood and gives some women a feeling of well-being, which I did experience. Yasmin also gave me slightly larger breasts and I lost about half a stone in weight. The reason I stopped taking Yasmin was because of a sudden dramatic appearance of cellulite on my thighs and bum. I am a UK size 6 and have never had cellulite before in my life (I'm 26), I have been taking Microgynon again for 2mths and the cellulite has completely vanished.

February 2, 2014 4:28 AM
Review by Michi of Avalon (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

THOUGHT: Everyone's body is different, but also be mindful and rational about external forces and behaviors causing issues, be mainly with mood/relationship problems. After 2 years off from taking hormonal birth control. I'm about to reach the inert pill week and so far this is what I've experienced: Tender breasts/nipples, but up 1 size; Improved mood (history of mood swings, but they were mainly as teenager, I am now 22); Improved complexion; More intense clitoral sensation; Mild vaginal dryness; Minimal if no weight gain (attributed to increased appetite in general with hormonal birth control); Maybe a mild decrease in libido; No bloating.

January 31, 2014 11:57 AM
Review by kcfamily (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

My cycles are regulated now which is nice but the part that is driving me crazy is my nipples hurt so bad around the same time every month. I feel nausea, heartburn, same symptoms as a pregnancy. I am going to use for one more month and if it doesn't go away. I am switching.

January 9, 2014 6:50 PM
Review by ash beeeee: User Rating:

I started taking Ocella (generic for Yasmin) at age 22 when I got married. Everything was great for maybe 2 or 3 years. Then I started experiencing numbness in my right leg and left arm. This past year started having TERRIBLE migraines at least once a week. Due to my family history of breast cancer I decided this past may (6 months ago) to come OFF of Yasmin. To put in short (GOOGLE IT ! ) .... I had a MENTAL BREAKDOWN this past week thanks to YASMIN/OCELLA !!!!!!!!

November 3, 2013 8:50 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have been taking Yaz for 4 years. I haven't gained any weight and no acne. BUT my sex drive has been completely gone. I just got my blood drawn and my estrogen level is the lowest of the low..my doctor said it's from YAZ. Also, (I just noticed this now) but I have lost sooo much hair since taking this pill.

October 31, 2013 12:14 AM
Review by SoCal 92: User Rating:

Yaz didn't make me gain weight and it's helped with my acne. I notice people saying that this caused moodiness. I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago and also inability to concentrate a few months back as well so because of that I take Prozac and Adderall. Those two pills have made me not moody while on Yaz. I suggest looking into whether or not you have depression and an inability to concentrate if you experience moodiness while on Yaz.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 30, 2013 6:12 PM
Review by BriannaJoy:

My experience with Yasmin has been really well. I didn't gain any weight as some people are saying they did. I had mild acne and now my face is perfectly clear, give or take a monthly pimple. One thing was that I did get VERY moody the first 2 months of taking it. I was not my usual happy self. I didn't want to be touched and everything was a problem for me. But after the 2 months, I went back to myself. I've been on it for 7 months now and I'm very happy with it.

June 26, 2013 6:36 AM
Review by JMAC81: User Rating:

I was prescribed Yasmin by my GP 3 years ago. After 2 months I became depressed and very moody but the acne on my back cleared up. I decided to come off it for my sanity, my moods improved but my acne returned. 7 months ago I decided to give it another go. This time has been fantastic, I'm 31 and my skin has never looked so clear and my hair growth is much faster. I have always been a B - C cup but 7 months on I am a DD. My mood never changed and I just feel great. I wouldn't change from Yasmin now, it's been great for me.

April 7, 2013 11:06 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I'm 20 years old, I've been on Yasmin for 3 years, and have experienced horrible side effects. It's GREAT for acne, weight loss and actual birth control, but my mood swings are CRAZY. Before starting this pill, I was a very happy, positive person. After taking this pill I've become crazy, anxious, depressed, upset and stressed out over the tiniest things (causing major fights with my boyfriend) at all points in my cycle. This is a MAJOR side effect and shouldn't be ignored, it has completely changed my personality and I won't be taking it again after this month is over.

January 21, 2013 9:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

When I was 17 I was scared to start on Birth Control. My doctor had suggested Yasmin to me. I was glad I did start it. I had no problems. I never got sick from it, gained any weight, had any pains etc. Even every time I stopped taking it there were no problems. The birth control was very effective even if I missed a few days. My face was also clear of acne. No changes in sex drive. I am very sad I cannot go back on it because it is no longer free with my health care.

September 4, 2012 1:43 AM
Review by ClearSkin5: User Rating:

I was taking Yasmin mainly for birth control as I was sexually active. But after about 2 months (3 packs of Yasmin) consuming it due course, I realized that it wasn't only for birth control but it helped my acne as well, and after 3 months, my face was clear off any acne but a few pimples (one or two) here and there but that's easy to treat. When I stopped taking Yasmin for about 3 months and my acne came back and now I'm actively on Yasmin again for contraception and also acne. I have tried many useless treatments and antibiotics and creams and gels that the doctors suggested but to no avail. And like what one said, "it works inside out".

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2012 1:20 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

It did its job by not getting me pregnant however I gained a lot of weight. I also had terrible mood swings. One time I cried for two hours and couldn't stop. I was on Yaz for about 6 months and I still had terrible mood swings so I switched to Loestrin and have me very happy so far.

July 12, 2012 10:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I used to be on Beyaz, which was great for me. Then when I moved out of the country, I had to switch to Yazmin (same company). It's my first month, and I am SO moody! I have gotten into big fights with my boyfriend over the smallest things in just the past couple weeks that I've been using this pill. I don't feel like myself. I am constantly going into depressions (I was already depression-prone before the pill). Sure, it's getting the job done, I don't have any physical issues really (though I do have headaches, but it may not be from the pill), but overall the moodiness isn't working for me. I'm going to be switching to Yaz next month.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2012 5:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Yasmin for about 5 years had no serious problems with it and it worked great as a form of birth control. I gained weight but not sure if the pill is to blame. I had irritable mood swings but nothing too bad. The one biggest side effect for me that made me switch was the migraines I was getting while taking the placebos. Each and every month I would have migraines while on my period. But other than that I love this pill, my periods were always on time I had short 3-4 day periods with minimal cramping. I have just started taking Levora, which my doctor recommended taking 3 straight months and then having my period to minimize the migraines. So far I've had breakthrough bleeding and heavy as well for about a week. I hope it gets better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 30, 2012 12:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Yasmin for about 4 years now and I have had no problems/ side effects. I have had no weight gain (except maybe a little in my breasts which isn't an issue for me), have had lighter periods and very little menstrual cramps (and I used to have a full 7 day heavy, and painful period), and can't even remember the last time I got a pimple.

January 20, 2012 7:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm 30 and tried many different pills since I was 14. (Microgynon 50ED being the longest used). I went off the pill for 3 years at 27, then started on Yasmin for 6 months and had a lot of breakthrough bleeding. My doctor then switched to the Implanon (under skin implant) for 4 months, breakthrough bleeding continued, got massive headaches. I then had it removed and have now been back on Yasmin for a further 5 months. Non-stop bleeding, some days heavy, some light, bad acne breakouts, extremely tender breasts, bloating, emotionally unstable, mood swings and panic attacks - all of which I've never had in my life! I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome and this has not improved this at all.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 4, 2012 10:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've just started Yasmin. I was on Diane-35 last year, then stopped, but the water weight didn't seem to go away and I had cellulite, that I had never had before Diane-35. In 9 days, I've lost about 2kg. My mood seems fine so far. Have to visit bathroom more often. The best thing - I'm about a cup size up, from B to about C now. It's fantastic and I cannot wait for my boyfriend to see them! Diane-35 made me feel awkward and out-of-place, because of the sudden water weight on legs, bottom, arms, tummy, etc, but I feel so light on Yasmin. Yasmin gave me back my flat tummy (I had some bloating problems). First month in and it's been fantastic. Cannot stop looking in the mirror.

November 22, 2011 3:03 AM
Review by Shouldbeworking: User Rating:

Initially I was on Yasmin for 1 Year. Noticeable changes/side effects were: Weight-loss, Hair-thining, More emotional, Lighter periods I went off it for a month (I forgot to renew my prescription) and in that month I put on about 2kg, was not so emotional and my period was a little heavier. Also, the first two weeks of being off Yasmin, my body was super-sensitive! Possibly both a good and bad thing? I am now back on Yasmin and the old side-effects are kicking in again. Overall, I would say it works well with my body so will continue to use it. Recommend it if it works with your body too, the only way to tell is to try it really.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2011 7:14 PM
Review by ApesMcCon: User Rating:

I have been on Yasmin for about 3 years. For the first year, there was little to no weight gain. Second year I found my appetite was never satisfied with whatever I ate. I could just keep eating and eating if it tasted good. Not sure if that was my fault or if it was the pill. Now, as for year three, experiencing severe depression I cry for no reason and it will be all day and I can't stop. I have started spotting and almost getting a full on period the week before my period. I gave it a 7 because it has been pretty good to me other than these things to be able to stay on it for 3 years, but I think if you're on it for too long it can have some bad side effects. It was AWESOME for the first year or so.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 15, 2011 6:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on Yasmin and then Ocella for 7 years, and I have absolutely loved it. 3 day light periods, significantly cleared up my acne, lost weight, my breasts looked great! No PMS, no mood swings. Because of all the recent lawsuits my mom begged me to switch pills, so my doctor had me try Loestrin. So far I have 7 day breakthrough periods, lost 2 pounds, my breasts shrank a cup size-they are sagging and I'm 26! My back hurts all the time. If it doesn't straighten out I'm going back to Yasmin/Ocella!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 25, 2011 10:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was put on Yasmin for 6 months to regulate my cycle and reduce acne flare-ups and it was the worst 6 months of my life. I gained 20lbs that did NOT come off easily after stopping the pill, experienced horrible mood swings, had HEAVIER periods, acne breakouts, breakthrough bleeding, and I was nauseous all the time. This pill seems to agree with most people but it definitely did not agree with me. I went on Femcon a year after stopping Yasmin and experienced virtually no side effects.

April 11, 2011 3:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I used Yasmin for 10 years and had no problems at all. Periods were light and predictable. No mood swings. Everything was good. After 10 years on it, I started experiencing hot flashes but I am too young for menopause. Apparently, long use causes this and is easily rectified by getting off for a few months and restarting.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 28, 2011 4:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Yasmin kept my skin clear and my period 'normal' for years. As soon as I stopped it, life became disastrous again. My face was oily and broke out. I had coarse facial chin hair growing constantly. Periods were heavy with cramps I had to take 800mg Ibuprofen for. I started taking them again after 6 months off.... Upon resuming, in the 1st month I had NO significant change in acne or facial hair. The second month, slight breast tenderness and, my face was less oily. Breakouts are LESS but not gone yet. There is less facial hair. Into month 3, breast tenderness is gone and improvements in skin and hair continue. This pill is great for women with PCOS like myself. I should have never stopped using it on the first place.

December 26, 2010 9:38 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Amazing pill. I took Yasmin for 5 years with no side effects except low libido which is why I eventually switched pills. Overall light short cramp free periods. Worked great for me, no PMS at all. And best part is I never got pregnant, very good. When I wanted to get pregnant I was only off Yasmin for 1 month before conceiving my son. All in all it was a great pill.

November 16, 2010 2:01 AM