User Reviews for Yasmin

Learn more about Yasmin.

Yasmin Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yasmin to treat Birth Control

"Switched from Microgynon to Yazmin due to suffering with headaches, fatigue & loss of libido. However, yaz did not really help to be honest! My periods were heavier and more painful on Yaz, I was moody, had painful breasts but one bonus was they were bigger! Still got headaches too oh and I gained 5lb during 6 mths of using this pill."

Joedi April 28, 2015

"I reccently started the Yasmin pill and at first I honestly didn't think I would be able to carry on with it because it was making me feel so nauseous! I also got really bad headaches which caused me to be really moody. However, my doctor told me to give it a few weeks to settle and for my system to get used to it. I was not happy about this let me say! I wanted to scream at her to feel how ill I felt. It got better though on the fifth day I woke up and I felt fine all of a sudden, all of the side effects I was feeling had just gone. I had terrible skin and it has make my skin so much better and I feel fine now. If you're taking it and you're feeling ill like I did - I know it feels like crap but honestly just hold on cause it will go."

Hannahscoffield April 19, 2015

"Been on Yasmin for 6 months now after years on all other brands under the sun. I have always been fit and healthy but for some reason on this pill and I even thinner. I can't gain weight no matter how bad I eat it's amazing ! The only down side is I am so hungry a lot of the time but it's awesome because it doesn't lead to any weight gain so I can eat as much as I want ! Also no cramps at all and I used to get them bad. Limited headaches. Finally after 12 years if found something that works super well for me"

Montymay March 15, 2015

"Been on Yasmin for 5 years. Always had brain fog. Gained 50lbs. Lost hair. Stressed. Appetite went way up. Recently decided to go off the pill. After period I instantly felt better. Sex drive is coming back. Just feel good. Hope it keeps up but I'm not going back."

Anonymous55521 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2015

"I've been on this pill for the past ten years and I love it. I've never had a menstrual cramp in my life, I never feel PMS symptoms (bloating, cravings, moodiness, etc). It has been helpful with acne. One downside is my sex drive has diminished but it's hard to tell if the pill is the culprit as I've been on it ten years. No weight gain from this either!"

Rawvjq (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2015

"I've been taking Yaz for 4 months now, I'm 16 years old. Few complaints, at the beginning this pill caused me horrible nausea and breast pain but that could be due to changing to Yasmin from Microgynon 30. Also I experienced spells of depressive moods which have now cleared up but I often experience mood swings! On a positive note my skin has cleared up massively and have maintained if not lost weight, great pill."

Josiejoe February 16, 2015

"During the first year, severe migraines, it felt like my head was going to explode, mood swings, loss of sex drive."

Joanne Halstead (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2014

"Took Yasmin for 6 months now and had some nausea in the beginning but I think my body is getting used to the pill. Overall, my mood has gotten better, I used to experience mood swings. I'm switching to Microgynon 30 and see how it works for me now."

Alyssesa October 9, 2014

"I have been taking Yasmin for 9 months and I can say that it had protected me effectively against pregnancy. I have read about some negative effects that have been linked to this pill. However, I decided to take it because my mother took it for years without experiencing any side effects. During my first cycle taking the pill, I experienced mild nausea and upset stomach occasionally. However, the symptoms were gone by the time I started my second pack. I have not noticed any changes in my weight or in my mood. I have frequent muscle cramps in my legs, but I am not sure that this is being caused by the pill."

K.M. September 17, 2014

"Mood improved dramatically, PMT gone! Completely, and this was becoming a problem as I'm 40 it seemed to be getting worse. I've lost a few pounds and find it easier to keep my weight down, it must be the diuretic and no fluid retention. Bigger breasts, bit tender but better with time, I've been on it nearly 3 months now. Libido maybe even better, as I feel happier. This is by far the best pill I've been on and I didn't take the pill for years because of the effects of weight gain, and libido. I've tried Mirena twice, awful, mini pill, mini pill injection cap and coil. Finally found one that suits, now my GP won't prescribe it! I will try family planning."

Lolalou (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2014

"I have been on this birth control for about three months. Although my periods are shorter, I have had really bad side effects. It has made me very moody, I have had really bad headaches, and I have experienced major hair loss. It freaked me out and I switched back to my prior birth control."

Anonymous July 22, 2014

"I used Yasmin for birth control reasons as it was the lowest one available to me at the time that didn't cause breakthrough bleeding. It was great for birth control and my skin is very clear after taking it. The main difference I noticed from other pills is that I would always get my period one day early (on the Sun instead of the Mon). I also had terrible mood swings and angry outburts. My poor kids copped the brunt of my moods! I have been off Yasmin for two weeks now and am back to my calm and happy self, and my sex drive has returned. I am 42."

Frosh71 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2014

"Was good for not getting pregnant , but made me feel sick I'm using it for a month now and skin is dark and dirty looking body pains feel tired just sick overall"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2014

"I've been on Yasmin for nearly two years but I've noticed my sex drive has gone and I get moody a lot more but it didn't make me gain any weight I'm going to change pills when I go to the doctors next."

Ffion (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2014

"I gave the Yasmin 10/10 as I started taking it for birth control and I did not become pregnant. But I want to point out some other effects Yasmin had on my body. I originally changed from Microgynon to Yasmin after a period of taking no birth control as I heard Yasmin could improve mood and gives some women a feeling of well-being, which I did experience. Yasmin also gave me slightly larger breasts and I lost about half a stone in weight. The reason I stopped taking Yasmin was because of a sudden dramatic appearance of cellulite on my thighs and bum. I am a UK size 6 and have never had cellulite before in my life (I'm 26), I have been taking Microgynon again for 2mths and the cellulite has completely vanished."

Pomba Gira (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2014

"THOUGHT: Everyone's body is different, but also be mindful and rational about external forces and behaviors causing issues, be mainly with mood/relationship problems. After 2 years off from taking hormonal birth control. I'm about to reach the inert pill week and so far this is what I've experienced: Tender breasts/nipples, but up 1 size; Improved mood (history of mood swings, but they were mainly as teenager, I am now 22); Improved complexion; More intense clitoral sensation; Mild vaginal dryness; Minimal if no weight gain (attributed to increased appetite in general with hormonal birth control); Maybe a mild decrease in libido; No bloating. "

Michi of Avalon (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2014

"My cycles are regulated now which is nice but the part that is driving me crazy is my nipples hurt so bad around the same time every month. I feel nausea, heartburn, same symptoms as a pregnancy. I am going to use for one more month and if it doesn't go away. I am switching."

kcfamily (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2014

"I started taking Ocella (generic for Yasmin) at age 22 when I got married. Everything was great for maybe 2 or 3 years. Then I started experiencing numbness in my right leg and left arm. This past year started having TERRIBLE migraines at least once a week. Due to my family history of breast cancer I decided this past may (6 months ago) to come OFF of Yasmin. To put in short (GOOGLE IT ! ) .... I had a MENTAL BREAKDOWN this past week thanks to YASMIN/OCELLA !!!!!!!!"

ash beeeee November 3, 2013

"I have been taking Yaz for 4 years. I haven't gained any weight and no acne. BUT my sex drive has been completely gone. I just got my blood drawn and my estrogen level is the lowest of the low..my doctor said it's from YAZ. Also, (I just noticed this now) but I have lost sooo much hair since taking this pill."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2013

"Yaz didn't make me gain weight and it's helped with my acne. I notice people saying that this caused moodiness. I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago and also inability to concentrate a few months back as well so because of that I take Prozac and Adderall. Those two pills have made me not moody while on Yaz. I suggest looking into whether or not you have depression and an inability to concentrate if you experience moodiness while on Yaz."

SoCal 92 September 30, 2013

"My experience with Yasmin has been really well. I didn't gain any weight as some people are saying they did. I had mild acne and now my face is perfectly clear, give or take a monthly pimple. One thing was that I did get VERY moody the first 2 months of taking it. I was not my usual happy self. I didn't want to be touched and everything was a problem for me. But after the 2 months, I went back to myself. I've been on it for 7 months now and I'm very happy with it."

BriannaJoy June 26, 2013

"I was prescribed Yasmin by my GP 3 years ago. After 2 months I became depressed and very moody but the acne on my back cleared up. I decided to come off it for my sanity, my moods improved but my acne returned. 7 months ago I decided to give it another go. This time has been fantastic, I'm 31 and my skin has never looked so clear and my hair growth is much faster. I have always been a B - C cup but 7 months on I am a DD. My mood never changed and I just feel great. I wouldn't change from Yasmin now, it's been great for me."

JMAC81 April 7, 2013

"I'm 20 years old, I've been on Yasmin for 3 years, and have experienced horrible side effects. It's GREAT for acne, weight loss and actual birth control, but my mood swings are CRAZY. Before starting this pill, I was a very happy, positive person. After taking this pill I've become crazy, anxious, depressed, upset and stressed out over the tiniest things (causing major fights with my boyfriend) at all points in my cycle. This is a MAJOR side effect and shouldn't be ignored, it has completely changed my personality and I won't be taking it again after this month is over."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2013

"When I was 17 I was scared to start on Birth Control. My doctor had suggested Yasmin to me. I was glad I did start it. I had no problems. I never got sick from it, gained any weight, had any pains etc. Even every time I stopped taking it there were no problems. The birth control was very effective even if I missed a few days. My face was also clear of acne. No changes in sex drive. I am very sad I cannot go back on it because it is no longer free with my health care. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2012

"I was taking Yasmin mainly for birth control as I was sexually active. But after about 2 months (3 packs of Yasmin) consuming it due course, I realized that it wasn't only for birth control but it helped my acne as well, and after 3 months, my face was clear off any acne but a few pimples (one or two) here and there but that's easy to treat. When I stopped taking Yasmin for about 3 months and my acne came back and now I'm actively on Yasmin again for contraception and also acne. I have tried many useless treatments and antibiotics and creams and gels that the doctors suggested but to no avail. And like what one said, "it works inside out"."

ClearSkin5 August 8, 2012