Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by Sunshine60 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had been depressed for many years and tried just about everything out there, nothing worked. Then my doctor put me on Pristiq. I am now feeling like a new person. I have been on it for 2 years now and never want to go off it. I have however forgotten to take a dose and the next day was awful. Mood swings in the snap of a finger, tears over minor things etc. Great medicine.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2013 12:12 PM

Review by NYC Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My experience with Pristiq 50 mg works wonderfully. I've been on it for more than 2 years and don't prefer any other. It's low on side effects and it makes me feel like my true natural self, no zombie feeling at all. For the women in their 40's...Pristiq is a miracle medicine to lessen hot flashes and allows you to sleep well. No worry with sex problems, you will not have any problem.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 9:37 PM

Review by depressed girl (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 20 years old and just started Pristiq 4 days ago. First time on antidepressants and I noticed a change immediately! I can actually enjoy my days and not cry excessively or get as many anxiety attacks. The only side effects I have are nausea and loss of appetite. But I highly recommend it!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2013 9:23 PM

Review by LC1004:

I have been on many different antidepressants from the age of 15 till now (22). I have tried Wellbutrin which was decent, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor etc. Now I am on Pristiq 100 mg and couldn't be happier. All the years I've been trying to find what works for me, I finally have. My only complaint is that if I even forget to take it one night, within 10 hours I feel awful! Shaky, sweaty, brain zaps, rage etc. As long as I remember to take it, it's an amazing antidepressant.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2013 12:08 PM

Review by stellabobella:

After having a serious injury to my back from a work related accident,and dealing with surgeons/physiotherapists and an array of specialist, I was Diagnosed with Major Depression and Adjustment Disorder. I have tried a multitude of anti-depressants to no avail. Finally my Doctor said that there was a fairly new medication, Pristiq that many people in similar situations were having success with and little side effects [as opposed to the traditionally prescribed medicines for similar situations]. I was very close to suicide because my whole normal life prior to my injury was gone. So what did I have to lose, I tried it. What a difference it made within the first week! I still can't do the things I used to do, but I can actually focus on things I can.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2013 11:03 PM

Review by Mary Dom:

After being in denial, I completely broke down with anxiety and depression. Went to my doctor and prescribed me Pristiq. After a week I took a big turnaround for the best, so happy! Stick with it, give it a chance to work. Side effects were nausea for the first few days stomach upset, but don't give up! I have been on Celexa in the past but takes to long to kick in..plus 40lbs weight gain. Pristiq cuts the appetite ,and you not hungry, at least if you needs a few lbs off this is the medicine to be on!

May 16, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by So far So good:

I've been suffering from major depression & anxiety for the past few years until I finally decided I've had enough! Initially I was prescribed Cipralex which helped with my anxiety but I gained way too much weight & couldn't stop eating so after approx 6 months I went off it which wasn't hard at all, no withdrawal symptoms. I was then put on Wellbutrin 150mg then after approx 1 month up to 300mg. I felt great positive energy lost a lot of the weight I gained. After approx 1 year I felt that this med was totally ineffective & I wasn't feeling anything. My doc then prescribed Cymbalta which appeared to work well for approx 1 month then after the next 2 months I didn't feel anything. Now I'm on Pristiq for just over 5 weeks, I feel good.

May 16, 2013 11:02 AM

Review by JTSHappy:

I have been on Pristiq for 9 months now. I had the night sweats in the beginning and they went away after about 3 weeks. I thought the only other side effect I've experienced was when I would forget to take a pill. The next day I would be dizzy and would snap at people. The following day would be back to normal. I also have a bite guard to help with the jaw at night. I don't use it that often. I noticed in the past week my depression returning slightly. I was confused because Pristiq has worked wonders for me. Realized I have a sensitivity to caffeine. I love Dr. Pepper and quit drinking it when I started Pristiq. Started drinking DP again and had stomach problems and depression. So no more caffeine! I take 50mg.

May 1, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by depresseddad:

I have dealt with depression stemming from an incident in my profession. I was initially on Zoloft for about 1-2 years. It worked OK but after a while not so much and all I got from it was that zombified "what's the point of life anyway" feeling. I switched to Pristiq and it was much better. It cuts the depression but doesn't give you that blahed out zombie feeling that the SSRIs can do. I don't have much of the side-effects luckily. I have noticed it takes longer to ejaculate (but I think my wife sort of likes that part of it- sorry for too much info). Anyway Pristiq is a great medicine. I noticed some people here had bad experiences with it. I think that's to be expected with all antidepressants. Keep trying and find the right one.

April 30, 2013 3:33 PM

Review by Gigiagain:

I have suffered depression off and on for over 20 years. I take Cymbalta for chronic pain and still have fallen in a deep depression. My doctor added Pristiq and after day 1 I'm feeling much better!

April 29, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by Margaretmarie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Have been on Pristiq for 5 years. Started at 50 mg and after a few years kind of felt like it was wearing off. Upped to 100mg. For depression it worked great for 5 years but now wearing off again. I have side effects of clenching my jaw so terribly I needed a mouth guard at night, it has increased to where I have broken a tooth! Also, memory issues and tinnitus that can drive you nuts (no pun intended!). But, gotta say, it worked for me. Now slowly weaning off and trying Wellbutrin.

April 23, 2013 4:41 PM

Review by Highridge (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Was on Effexor for years. Learned that Pristiq has less side efect on sexual dysfunction. After being on Pristiq, I felt it was effective, gentle and my sexual issues improved.

April 10, 2013 10:20 PM

Review by doneit:

Depression has got worse causing me to miss work. Have been on 20 different antidepressants over 7 years. Pristiq didn't help at all for me, headaches, foggy and nausea. Also shaky at times.

April 4, 2013 1:34 AM

Review by justsayin78 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have tried dozens of antidepressants in the past. None of them really worked for me. In 2009 I saw a new doctor who prescribed Pristiq. The beginning side effects weren't great, I had increased anxiety, night sweats, and trouble sleeping. The side effects only lasted the first week. I recently changed insurance and my copay was quite high, so my doctor decided to try something cheaper, which was Wellbutrin. I was on that for 8 weeks and I never felt worse in my life! I cried all the time, constantly feeling the fight or flight response. The anxiety was unbearable. Recently had my doctor put me back on the Pristiq and all is well. Worth the copay!

April 3, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by Chantellouise:

20 yo female. I had my first dose at 50mg this morning. After battling depression and anxiety for about 3 years, I made the choice to start meds when it became too much to bear. What I can tell you about my day is that it's been an experience! Feeling foggy, dizzy, slightly nauseous. The strangest side effects were the extreme hour long high, fidgeting, and a huge compulsion to clench my jaw/grind my teeth. Regardless of the side effects (remembering it is only day one) I have felt not only happiness, but joy, comfort, and decreased anxiety. Before today I can't remember the last time I had a good laugh.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2013 7:07 AM

Review by Monkenbak (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on this for about a week. So far the pros are: I am much calmer. I have a very stressful job that used to have me yelling and wanting to pull my hair out. Now I'm calmly discussing issues with a reasonable mind. Also I noticed I have more energy and much more positive outlook on life. I've even lost a few pounds because my appetite is somewhat suppressed. The cons are: very vivid dreams. Just about every night I have a very lucid and lengthy dream about something in my life. Another con is the first few days I felt a little "out of it" as others have said, but that stopped after about 3-4 days. The last con is that it's expensive. I have two insurances and still had a copayment. But I like it so much, it's worth the price.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 5:43 AM

Review by hayley665:

This medication is amazing! After 3 days of being extremely sick, I started to feel amazing, I am now 1 month into it and am so happy all the time and have no depressive thoughts at all. It kind of blocks out any sad thoughts. Works perfectly for me.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by SarahBerry (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Prozac and it wasn't working anymore. I tried Pristiq and for the first couple of weeks I didn't feel "right". Then, I started feeling much better. I also take a prescribed supplement called Deplin because my body doesn't absorb folic acid- a source of my depression. I don't know if it's the Deplin, the Pristiq or both, but I don't get depressed anymore. I do get kind of "mean" when I drink coffee with it. My sex drive is loooooow and achieving orgasm is difficult. I also suffer from dry mouth at night. But, I'm here to rate the medication on how well it helped my depression and it helped so very much. It's expensive, even with insurance.

March 1, 2013 4:23 PM

Review by Melissa114:

I love this. I used to have major mood swings. I feel so much happier. I'm a recovering meth addict. I started this medicine in rehab. 6 months at 50mg and life couldn't be better. All of the anxiety and nerves, tics and repetitive thoughts I no longer have. Pristiq and AA saved my life.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by WC. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Best medication EVER! After 2 years of feeling angry and upset and constantly fighting with my husband (over stupid things) and having suicidal and self harm thoughts purely from severe depression, I am now feeling 100% absolutely fantastic ALL the time thanks to Pristiq! Before I could barely get out of bed now I have heaps of energy to last all day and am constantly on the go. I LOVE how this medication makes me feel. I'd highly recommend trying this antidepressant.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2013 6:31 AM

Review by sisaree (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have suffered from anxiety and mood swings most of my life. But since my divorce and living alone the depression was becoming debilitating..... Feeling paralyzed by fear and barely functioning by taking Xanax. Friends and family were very concerned that I was going to drop off the edge. I am highly sensitive to medication. And having tried over 1/2 dozen antidepressants with side effects, I thought I was doomed to a life of torment. A friend was taking it and liked it, So, I tried it. I did have side effects in the beginning. Nausea, loss appetite, racing heart but most are now gone. I still clench some and my jaw gets sore. But I am so much better! 4 months was a big turning point for me. So don't lose hope!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by grievingmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor prescribed Pristiq to help me deal with overwhelming grief after death of my son. I never took any antidepressants before, so I have nothing to compare it with. It worked very well for me, after taking it for just 3 days,without major side effects. I don't cry everyday like I used to, but also feel somewhat emotionally numb. I am calmer, happier and able to go on with my life.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by eesee:

I've been on Pristiq 50mg. I'm only 18 it felt like it made me worse at times, it didn't do too much. I'm now off it and waiting to start a new antidepressant.

February 10, 2013 2:19 AM

Review by Let23:

20, female. I've been taking 100mg for 18 months I feel a lot better than what I did in regards to my depression but I feel nauseous 70% of the time and if I accidentally forget a pill I feel absolutely awful. Bizarre dreams, incredibly tired, diarrhea and paresthesia. I'm afraid to stop taking it for good because of what it does to me, something I'll be discussing with my doctor.

February 6, 2013 12:41 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Really work for me, no side effect

February 3, 2013 11:34 PM