User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I have suffered from severe anxiety (GAD) and was taking more and more Klonopin as time went on. I am very sensitive to medication and have tried many different SSRI/SNRI's through the year with horrible side effects. Finally, I had DNA testing to see what I would respond to and the result was Pristiq. I started it several months ago in a small dose (I split the pills even though they say don't do this) and within a few days my anxiety literally went away. I was able to cut my Klonopin in 1/2 over a two month period. The first week or two I was extremely tired but that passed. The only side effect I get from time to time is migraines. It still amazes me that my anxiety has disappeared. I no longer keep Klonopin in my pocket!"

anxiety guy November 1, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Dr put me on pristiq because I was having a bad time dealing with the loss of a loved one. It's my first medication and have been on it for 9 months, Although it has relieved my mild anxiety I have decided that this or any other medication isnt for me.The weight gain has pprobably been the worst and only side effect for me, after 3 months I piled on 10kgs. On my pharmacists advice I have been lowering my dose on alternate days and am now on my third day without taking it. I feel like im a little tipsy/heavy headed by the end of the day and that's all so far but is bareable and I still manage to go about my day as normal, hopefully this doesn't last long. I have never experienced brain zaps either"

caziii (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2013

"I have been on Pristiq for the past 12 months. I started on 50mg and went up to 100 mg after about 3 months. The side effects were terrible for the first two weeks. I have no side effects now except insomnia - however i have had insomnia for many years, i just have to make sure i have Pristiq as soon as i get up. I am a much happier and relaxed person and it helped save my marriage. My husband is a saint but only a saint can take so much :)"

Happy Girl Again October 25, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Pristiq for about 2 yrs, started on 50mg but after a couple of months I started feeling very moody, Dr put it up to 100mg, again a few months later same thing happened, had it increased to 150mg, I've been on this dose for over a year, Dr. never thought I would take this dose as I am small frame and only 55kg. I started taking it at night and found that my mind was going at a million miles an hr, did not sleep for a week, changed to the morning which works well. As others have mentioned, if I miss a dose I get dizzy. Pristiq has helped me, saved my marriage, and my life, I am calmer, anxiety gone, mood swings gone, suicidal thoughts gone. Give it time and if all else fails get help. Good luck!"

Don't give up (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I found my experience on Pristiq to be similar to when I was on Effexor XR. They are very similar medicines. I switched to Pristiq after I wasn't getting the relief from depression and anxiety anymore on Lexapro and Xanax. Unfortunately, I've had to discontinue the Pristiq after about 6 months. It does help with depression but it was making me easily agitated/irritable and I've had considerable weight gain. I would take it in the morning and often have thoughts of suicide by the time i went to bed. I have switched back to Lexapro but just added Wellbutrin XL and switched my anxiolytic to longer acting Klonopin. I've read this is a great combo and hope it works! Good luck everyone."

Frank26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2013

"After having my second child I had severe post natal depression. Counselling and group therapy didnt help all. Six months later I started on 50mg Pristiq, then 100mg after 2 weeks. At first side effects were quite full on. I took Pristiq in the morning, was full of energy. Then after lunch time, I was unbearably tired and had to have a nap, even for 20 mins. I just could not stay awake. I tried to take it at night but then I couldn't sleep. So, I stuck with taking it in the morning. The tiredness effect didn't last long, maybe a month? At the start there were also headaches but they soon subsided after about a month. It helped to take Pristiq with a full cup of water. I have been on it for a year and a half now and feel so much better."

Better now (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"A little over two years due to a job change and move, I suffered many anxiety/panic attacks. One of them landed me in the ER. I was then diagnosed with depression. I was put on Pristiq and with time it started working. I took the medication for about 18 months and then very slowly went off. I don't like being dependent on medication. My main reason for going off was my sex drive. You are very limited as to what you can take while on antidepressants. I am starting to feel like I am slipping into depression once again so will probably start again. Pristiq worked wonders for me."

Mexico Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2013

"I suffered from depression caused by many different things. Before this medicine, I had hit the point where I was horrible. My marriage was about to end, it was so bad. The first day, I took one as soon as I picked it up. Within a few hours I was happier. I had more patience and that horrible ball of tension across my shoulders was gone for the first time in months. I was nauseated, and dizzy. I am now on day three, I notice I am handling stressful things better, and am in general happier. The dizziness has abated, diarrhea, and nausea are still there, and I am sweating way more. That is worth it though, to save my marriage, and feel this happy again."

feeling renewed (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2013

"I have Bipolar Disorder and I was put on 50mg of Pristiq in May. It worked well for a bit. The Psych Doc increased the dose to 100mg last week. I've noticed a huge difference in my anxiety. My anxiety is near gone! I did have headaches, but I've only been on this new dose for almost a week. Oh, at times I feel a little nauseous."

Anonymous September 9, 2013

"Day 1. Took 50mg last night, felt "stoned", woke every hour, and had a nervous tummy, feeling hungry this morning, little more calm then normal for morning time. Still feeling slightly "stoned" and very tired. No nausea."

Chrisstinna September 5, 2013

"I was on low dose Cymbalta for 2 weeks and could not handle the fatigue. I switched to Pristiq 50 mg a little over a week ago. My anxiety is 95% gone, my depression..the negative thoughts are gone, I'm not happy but I'm not sad either, my irritability and being easily startled has resolved. I'm able to go out without being anxious, am returning to work part time in a few weeks. I do feel a little tired a few hours after taking the medication but it doesn't last, my sleep is a little disrupted, little nausea but nothing I can't manage, constipation is a side effect but I use Colace (without the laxative), lost 4 lbs so far. Plan to stay on this indefinitely at this point. Just relieved to finally have some relief from the anxiety/depression."

LeeMW (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been on this medication for over a year and I must say that it works very well. I feel happy, motivated, and in control. It is worth a try if you are suffering from severe depression. It works quick too. Cons : -Very expensive without insurance - withdrawals are awful and can occur within a day (for me) of not taking it."

greatmed1 August 29, 2013

"I tried Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta and Lexapro before I was put on Pristiq. The Lexapro helped but left me a sexual zombie. So my psychiatrist started me on 50 mg of Pristiq. Within days the sexual interest and feelings returned. After two weeks, she upped it to 100 mg and I've not had to take any anxiety medicines. Negatives: Nausea, upset stomach. Very vivid and sometimes very frightening dreams. A lot of tossing and turning. Fortunately, I have a very patient and loving partner who has been with me through all these months of depression. I will say that the medicine has made me much more positive and outgoing, and it is amazing how other people respond."

Dweeble2 August 23, 2013

"I am a female, 44 yo, took Pristiq over 9 months up to 100mg. It gave a little relief to my depression but did nothing for anxiety and panic attacks. I left my job on disability while on it, unable to cope anymore! I am still trying to find the right antidepressant. Tried Zoloft, Manerix, Celexa,Cymbalta, Wellbutrin without noticeable success or just bad side effects! Note I had no major side effects with Pristiq."

edupuis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2013

"Works great on joint pain and helps balance your mood."

sixpaklady (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2013

"Started on Pristiq after my grandmother and father both died suddenly a few days apart. Developed "shingles" --rash on my chin. Doctor said it was from the stress and increased the Pristiq. Got worse. Doctor and my friends said it looked like a burn. Finally reading blogs like this I guessed the Pristiq was causing the rash and burn-like symptoms. Been off of Pristiq for 16 days and my skin is clear. My head is better too although I can see the withdrawal will take many more weeks to subside."

Millie Susan July 31, 2013

"After being depressed for a long time, I decided to approach my Doctor after therapy alone was not working. I was suffering severe mood swings, crying every day, anxiety attacks and so on. I am now on day 6 of 50mg of Pristiq and its amazing. Feel calm, in control, have not cried once and feel really good. Side effects have been nausea, insomnia (hope this will settle down) and decreased appetite. I was putting my family through hell and it feels like I have finally turned a corner."

Tazzy1202 July 31, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed Pristiq for my anxiety. I was on it for 2 years and it was my saving grace. I know it says it can make anxiety worse but it took mine away. It was pricey but worth it. The only thing I MUST say is about the blood pressure. It states it can cause high blood pressure or make already high BP higher. My BP sat at about 130-150 over 90-100 while on Pristiq. I tell you too I am a healthy, thin 29 year old non smoker etc. I thought it was just my anxiety but now that I am off it my BP is 112/70! So for two years I had higher BP because of the Pristiq, so just be aware of that. But! It helped me through a horrible time and I'm thankful for that."

High BP!! July 24, 2013

"I had an unexpected medical issue and was initially prescribed Buspirone to help deal with the ensuing depression. It took so long to kick in that all the other medicines I was taking made me suicidal. I talked to my doc who recommended a relatively new antidepressant called Pristiq. From the moment I started taking it my life changed for the better, no more suicidal thoughts, my days returned to normal. I took it for six months until I felt I no longer needed it. I reduced my dosage as directed and weaned myself off it. There were a few brain zaps as the dosage decreased, but once I understood what was going on everything was fine. The only downside I can think of was a decreased sexual drive, but with a great partner we worked our way through It."

JenJenSchro July 19, 2013

"I've been on 50mg for three years and it is wonderful. The only down fall is the price. It has gone up considerably in three years. "

Dieted whirl July 18, 2013

"I was originally on Prozac 20mg for my depression. I found the Prozac helpful, but emotionally numbing. I am participating in psychotherapy and it got to the point that I couldn't really access my feelings and it was interfering with my therapy. I spoke to my doctor and he switched me to Pristiq 50mg. I found that it was easy to adjust to (some nighttime sweating but that's about it). It gives me very good control of my depression. My irritability is also very well controlled. However, I am now able to access my feelings when I need to (such as in therapy) and I feel less numb. I am still able to manage stress just as well as when I was on Prozac, yet I don't feel so disconnected from the world and from myself."

AbbeyL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2013

"I started on 50mg and went up to 100mg. It has been wonderful for stabilizing my moods. I lost my insurance and went off. It was horrible. I was in horrible shape and had to go back on it at full price. I now feel like I am stuck on it. I experience dizziness at times, gained 40 pounds in the 2 years I've been on it."

Jogirlohio July 7, 2013

"I had been depressed for many years and tried just about everything out there, nothing worked. Then my doctor put me on Pristiq. I am now feeling like a new person. I have been on it for 2 years now and never want to go off it. I have however forgotten to take a dose and the next day was awful. Mood swings in the snap of a finger, tears over minor things etc. Great medicine."

Sunshine60 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2013

"My experience with Pristiq 50 mg works wonderfully. I've been on it for more than 2 years and don't prefer any other. It's low on side effects and it makes me feel like my true natural self, no zombie feeling at all. For the women in their 40's...Pristiq is a miracle medicine to lessen hot flashes and allows you to sleep well. No worry with sex problems, you will not have any problem."

NYC Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 20 years old and just started Pristiq 4 days ago. First time on antidepressants and I noticed a change immediately! I can actually enjoy my days and not cry excessively or get as many anxiety attacks. The only side effects I have are nausea and loss of appetite. But I highly recommend it!"

depressed girl (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2013