User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by tried everything (taken for less than 1 month):

So I had anxiety and depression. My GP prescribed Lexapro initially, then Wellbutrin, then Zoloft (coupled with Xanax). Nothing was working and I was waking up in the morning every day with panic attacks. My GP recommended I go to a Psych, which I did for first time in my life. He changed me to long acting Xanex XR Pristiq. Both have been massively better and Pristiq could be a game changer. The side effects I had adjusting to SSRIs were very very bad but getting on Pristiq has been very easy. Only a headache for 2 days. I recommend people try this. My panic attacks and anxiety literally vanished after 3-4 days. I feel like I finally found what I needed.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Review by Jo Girl:

Have been taking Pristiq for just on a month -- relief from anxiety and depression after 3 days and able to concentrate and focus again to full capacity -- no side effects and sleeping well. I was on Efexor on and off for 10 years, with not a lot of relief from anxiety symptoms. Have lost some weight as well, and am starting to feel very positive.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2013 3:06 AM

Review by finnow:

I am a 47 yo male who has been on 100mg of Pristiq for 2 years. First on 50mg then increased. I found I was sleepy for the first few months but nothing compared to the original symptoms like depression, anxiety etc. My only concern is the withdrawal effects. On one occasion, I went to Pharmacy on Saturday and they advised I needed a new script. I had to wait until Monday to get a script and they were the two worst days in my life....the withdrawal was chaotic, I argued with the chemist in a rage....never done this before...I called them an hour later sobbing and apologising for my behavior, I had awful flashes in my eyes and headaches that made a migraine feel like party.....I was frantic at the doctor on the Monday morning

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 1:00 PM

Review by Daveoh:

I started Pristiq 2 years ago and have been on risperidone for about 20 years. These two drugs have kept me feeling quite fuzzy and warm. There is not much that I can't tackle in a day. I am like Teflon when it comes to negativity. 100 mg a day. No worries. I have lost about 30 lbs and have quit smoking after 20 yrs. Pristiq has been my wonder drug. I don't plan on stopping this medication anytime soon.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 10:51 AM

Review by anxiety guy:

I have suffered from severe anxiety (GAD) and was taking more and more Klonopin as time went on. I am very sensitive to medication and have tried many different SSRI/SNRI's through the year with horrible side effects. Finally, I had DNA testing to see what I would respond to and the result was Pristiq. I started it several months ago in a small dose (I split the pills even though they say don't do this) and within a few days my anxiety literally went away. I was able to cut my Klonopin in 1/2 over a two month period. The first week or two I was extremely tired but that passed. The only side effect I get from time to time is migraines. It still amazes me that my anxiety has disappeared. I no longer keep Klonopin in my pocket!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2013 4:37 PM

Review by caziii (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Dr put me on pristiq because I was having a bad time dealing with the loss of a loved one. It's my first medication and have been on it for 9 months, Although it has relieved my mild anxiety I have decided that this or any other medication isnt for me.The weight gain has pprobably been the worst and only side effect for me, after 3 months I piled on 10kgs. On my pharmacists advice I have been lowering my dose on alternate days and am now on my third day without taking it. I feel like im a little tipsy/heavy headed by the end of the day and that's all so far but is bareable and I still manage to go about my day as normal, hopefully this doesn't last long. I have never experienced brain zaps either

October 29, 2013 8:33 AM

Review by Happy Girl Again:

I have been on Pristiq for the past 12 months. I started on 50mg and went up to 100 mg after about 3 months. The side effects were terrible for the first two weeks. I have no side effects now except insomnia - however i have had insomnia for many years, i just have to make sure i have Pristiq as soon as i get up. I am a much happier and relaxed person and it helped save my marriage. My husband is a saint but only a saint can take so much :)

October 25, 2013 5:59 AM

Review by Don't give up (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on Pristiq for about 2 yrs, started on 50mg but after a couple of months I started feeling very moody, Dr put it up to 100mg, again a few months later same thing happened, had it increased to 150mg, I've been on this dose for over a year, Dr. never thought I would take this dose as I am small frame and only 55kg. I started taking it at night and found that my mind was going at a million miles an hr, did not sleep for a week, changed to the morning which works well. As others have mentioned, if I miss a dose I get dizzy. Pristiq has helped me, saved my marriage, and my life, I am calmer, anxiety gone, mood swings gone, suicidal thoughts gone. Give it time and if all else fails get help. Good luck!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 7:37 AM

Review by Frank26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I found my experience on Pristiq to be similar to when I was on Effexor XR. They are very similar medicines. I switched to Pristiq after I wasn't getting the relief from depression and anxiety anymore on Lexapro and Xanax. Unfortunately, I've had to discontinue the Pristiq after about 6 months. It does help with depression but it was making me easily agitated/irritable and I've had considerable weight gain. I would take it in the morning and often have thoughts of suicide by the time i went to bed. I have switched back to Lexapro but just added Wellbutrin XL and switched my anxiolytic to longer acting Klonopin. I've read this is a great combo and hope it works! Good luck everyone.

September 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Review by Better now (taken for 1 to 2 years):

After having my second child I had severe post natal depression. Counselling and group therapy didnt help all. Six months later I started on 50mg Pristiq, then 100mg after 2 weeks. At first side effects were quite full on. I took Pristiq in the morning, was full of energy. Then after lunch time, I was unbearably tired and had to have a nap, even for 20 mins. I just could not stay awake. I tried to take it at night but then I couldn't sleep. So, I stuck with taking it in the morning. The tiredness effect didn't last long, maybe a month? At the start there were also headaches but they soon subsided after about a month. It helped to take Pristiq with a full cup of water. I have been on it for a year and a half now and feel so much better.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 8:54 AM

Review by Mexico Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

A little over two years due to a job change and move, I suffered many anxiety/panic attacks. One of them landed me in the ER. I was then diagnosed with depression. I was put on Pristiq and with time it started working. I took the medication for about 18 months and then very slowly went off. I don't like being dependent on medication. My main reason for going off was my sex drive. You are very limited as to what you can take while on antidepressants. I am starting to feel like I am slipping into depression once again so will probably start again. Pristiq worked wonders for me.

September 13, 2013 12:09 PM

Review by feeling renewed (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffered from depression caused by many different things. Before this medicine, I had hit the point where I was horrible. My marriage was about to end, it was so bad. The first day, I took one as soon as I picked it up. Within a few hours I was happier. I had more patience and that horrible ball of tension across my shoulders was gone for the first time in months. I was nauseated, and dizzy. I am now on day three, I notice I am handling stressful things better, and am in general happier. The dizziness has abated, diarrhea, and nausea are still there, and I am sweating way more. That is worth it though, to save my marriage, and feel this happy again.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2013 8:27 AM

I have Bipolar Disorder and I was put on 50mg of Pristiq in May. It worked well for a bit. The Psych Doc increased the dose to 100mg last week. I've noticed a huge difference in my anxiety. My anxiety is near gone! I did have headaches, but I've only been on this new dose for almost a week. Oh, at times I feel a little nauseous.

September 9, 2013 2:07 PM

Review by Chrisstinna:

Day 1. Took 50mg last night, felt "stoned", woke every hour, and had a nervous tummy, feeling hungry this morning, little more calm then normal for morning time. Still feeling slightly "stoned" and very tired. No nausea.

September 5, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by LeeMW (taken for less than 1 month):

I was on low dose Cymbalta for 2 weeks and could not handle the fatigue. I switched to Pristiq 50 mg a little over a week ago. My anxiety is 95% gone, my depression..the negative thoughts are gone, I'm not happy but I'm not sad either, my irritability and being easily startled has resolved. I'm able to go out without being anxious, am returning to work part time in a few weeks. I do feel a little tired a few hours after taking the medication but it doesn't last, my sleep is a little disrupted, little nausea but nothing I can't manage, constipation is a side effect but I use Colace (without the laxative), lost 4 lbs so far. Plan to stay on this indefinitely at this point. Just relieved to finally have some relief from the anxiety/depression.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 9:00 AM

Review by greatmed1:

Been on this medication for over a year and I must say that it works very well. I feel happy, motivated, and in control. It is worth a try if you are suffering from severe depression. It works quick too. Cons : -Very expensive without insurance - withdrawals are awful and can occur within a day (for me) of not taking it.

August 29, 2013 7:33 PM

Review by Dweeble2:

I tried Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta and Lexapro before I was put on Pristiq. The Lexapro helped but left me a sexual zombie. So my psychiatrist started me on 50 mg of Pristiq. Within days the sexual interest and feelings returned. After two weeks, she upped it to 100 mg and I've not had to take any anxiety medicines. Negatives: Nausea, upset stomach. Very vivid and sometimes very frightening dreams. A lot of tossing and turning. Fortunately, I have a very patient and loving partner who has been with me through all these months of depression. I will say that the medicine has made me much more positive and outgoing, and it is amazing how other people respond.

August 23, 2013 4:21 PM

Review by edupuis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am a female, 44 yo, took Pristiq over 9 months up to 100mg. It gave a little relief to my depression but did nothing for anxiety and panic attacks. I left my job on disability while on it, unable to cope anymore! I am still trying to find the right antidepressant. Tried Zoloft, Manerix, Celexa,Cymbalta, Wellbutrin without noticeable success or just bad side effects! Note I had no major side effects with Pristiq.

August 13, 2013 1:07 PM

Review by sixpaklady (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works great on joint pain and helps balance your mood.

August 4, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by Millie Susan:

Started on Pristiq after my grandmother and father both died suddenly a few days apart. Developed "shingles" --rash on my chin. Doctor said it was from the stress and increased the Pristiq. Got worse. Doctor and my friends said it looked like a burn. Finally reading blogs like this I guessed the Pristiq was causing the rash and burn-like symptoms. Been off of Pristiq for 16 days and my skin is clear. My head is better too although I can see the withdrawal will take many more weeks to subside.

July 31, 2013 7:54 PM

Review by Tazzy1202:

After being depressed for a long time, I decided to approach my Doctor after therapy alone was not working. I was suffering severe mood swings, crying every day, anxiety attacks and so on. I am now on day 6 of 50mg of Pristiq and its amazing. Feel calm, in control, have not cried once and feel really good. Side effects have been nausea, insomnia (hope this will settle down) and decreased appetite. I was putting my family through hell and it feels like I have finally turned a corner.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 12:04 AM

Review by High BP!!:

My doctor prescribed Pristiq for my anxiety. I was on it for 2 years and it was my saving grace. I know it says it can make anxiety worse but it took mine away. It was pricey but worth it. The only thing I MUST say is about the blood pressure. It states it can cause high blood pressure or make already high BP higher. My BP sat at about 130-150 over 90-100 while on Pristiq. I tell you too I am a healthy, thin 29 year old non smoker etc. I thought it was just my anxiety but now that I am off it my BP is 112/70! So for two years I had higher BP because of the Pristiq, so just be aware of that. But! It helped me through a horrible time and I'm thankful for that.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2013 10:11 PM

Review by JenJenSchro:

I had an unexpected medical issue and was initially prescribed Buspirone to help deal with the ensuing depression. It took so long to kick in that all the other medicines I was taking made me suicidal. I talked to my doc who recommended a relatively new antidepressant called Pristiq. From the moment I started taking it my life changed for the better, no more suicidal thoughts, my days returned to normal. I took it for six months until I felt I no longer needed it. I reduced my dosage as directed and weaned myself off it. There were a few brain zaps as the dosage decreased, but once I understood what was going on everything was fine. The only downside I can think of was a decreased sexual drive, but with a great partner we worked our way through It.

July 19, 2013 12:47 AM

Review by Dieted whirl:

I've been on 50mg for three years and it is wonderful. The only down fall is the price. It has gone up considerably in three years.

July 18, 2013 2:31 PM

Review by AbbeyL (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was originally on Prozac 20mg for my depression. I found the Prozac helpful, but emotionally numbing. I am participating in psychotherapy and it got to the point that I couldn't really access my feelings and it was interfering with my therapy. I spoke to my doctor and he switched me to Pristiq 50mg. I found that it was easy to adjust to (some nighttime sweating but that's about it). It gives me very good control of my depression. My irritability is also very well controlled. However, I am now able to access my feelings when I need to (such as in therapy) and I feel less numb. I am still able to manage stress just as well as when I was on Prozac, yet I don't feel so disconnected from the world and from myself.

July 13, 2013 12:54 PM