User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I have had depression for a long time, sometimes more serious, sometimes less serious. In the past 7 years, I think I experience a "re-entry shock" going back to the teaching profession in HK. I need to take it once per day. I did not experience any side effect like sleepiness, dizziness. I can perform my normally heavy duties in my workplace. At first my doctor ask me to take it after evening, but since it will not affect my work and need not be taken after meals, I prefer to take it right after I get up, and I can establish a routine for it easily. Soon after I have taken Pristig, all my negative thoughts and feelings disappear like miracle and many people around me commented that I am happier than before."

ccsk (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Finally I see hope. After being diagnosed with severe depression (took me 4 years to seek treatment), I tried 5 different medications (plus therapy). They all failed miserably and I lost the hope I didn't even know I had, then tried suicide twice. Finally I was prescribed Pristiq and let me just say... what a difference! It got easier to wake up and get through the day, my self-esteem got better, my anxiety doesn't come as often, and I can even make plans for the future. For the first time I see change is possible. Just don't ever forget to take your pills, you can't really function without them. I got no side effects except for increased hunger/libido, and a bit of difficulty falling asleep. I'm taking 150mg now."

Amanda_GT December 3, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have forgot to take a couple of times. I am not able to function if I skip I have to go to doctor and beg for more if I run out. I am going to ask to be taken off this medicine and prescribed something else. My last experience was horrible. I ran out for 1 night and when I awoke I was falling everywhere and could not get it under control until I took a pill."

skisiks (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2014

"Started 12 weeks ago on 50mg stuck it out for 7 weeks - not much change and decided to step up to 100mg - 5 weeks later can say a change has arrived in the last 10 days and I am over the moon. I have refused medication all my life - this was a massive decision for me ... I wish now I'd done it years ago. Critical voice gone, anxiety close to gone, depression lifting, motivation returning - hope and dreams coming back. I now laugh, play jokes and manage stress 'normally'. I have to take care to get enough sleep - some days I am still really exhausted, but that is lifting. The side effects were as expected, dry mouth, need to eat regularly, headaches and perhaps a little sleep issues - but compared to life before they are well worth it."

Retroesque (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Pristiq for just over a month, and I don't have the desire to do anything. I have gone days without shaving or taking a bath. I feel like a zombie unable to make decisions or take care of myself and my home. I find myself seating all day on my sofa, and sleeping most of the day-My appetite has increased and now my weight gone up rapidly. After reading a recent post on this medication, I was shocked to learn that only one other person, has had the same experienced. I am quoting this medication, today."

JeffR02 October 29, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine saved my sanity. I had crippling anxiety/panic attack disorder that forced me to take a year and a half off of college. I was a complete and total wreck. After a year and a half of rest/therapy I decided I was ready to go back to school, within 3 weeks I was totally crumbling, and was completely overwhelmed (anxiety disorder I had worked so hard to treat was rearing its ugly head). I was scared to try another med because my old one made me gain 55lbs (despite dieting), but at this point I was so desperate. My psychiatrist gave me Pristiq and BAM a week later I was like a different person. No more constant crying and confusion. Now 10 months later I am doing really well in school and have lost 40lbs."

ElizaNYC October 23, 2014

"Went from 50mg to 100mg. After 3 weeks on 50mg trying to adjust. Not getting results with tears or compulsive behavior like eating. Side effects of face flushing and hot flashes, anxiety is worse. It hasn't been 30 days on the change yet. Feel crazy."

odat September 24, 2014

"I want to share my experience because I was terrified when I first started Pristiq. It was the first time I'd taken an antidepressant following a severe depressive episode. I read so many negative things about Pristiq and people over analysing it. It took 6 weeks to work and yes I had dry mouth, headaches and nausea but they passed after a few days. The anxiety went away gradually and I felt like I could control it again. The depression lifted too and I could function. I went cold turkey to come off it (Dr supervised) and yep side effects but no big deal. The brain zaps were full on but they lasted about 4 days. I feel great. Of course I'm doing lots of exercise and eating well too...but Pristiq helped."

Anonymous August 19, 2014

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has been very helpful to me. I started having extreme anxiety when I started taking Latuda. For two years I dealt with depression, severe anxiety and killer side effects from the SSRI (avoid them). In 2014 I finally said "ENOUGH!" I was a little scared to try a different medicine but life was so terrible I was willing to get some relief. I did not have any side effects when started taking the medicine. Pristiq has given some of my life back. I can function at the day program (which was in jeopardy before Pristiq) I highly recommend this medicine for those who suffer from depression and anxiety, at lease give it a try."

Root Beer Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was on Pristiq about a year ago, got of it due to, being totally grey, NO highs - No lows limited high happy moments. I know its supposed to level your moods. But I wanted off it. I weaned myself of it by buying a steel bladed pill cutter, cut the pill into "

Diggster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2014

"Bad withdrawal symptoms when trying to quit. I had horrible depression when trying to wean off. Also didn't like how I felt on it. Took my imagination away, ability to day dream. Gave me high blood pressure. You must get on medicines for high blood pressure. So either stop Pristiq or get high blood pressure meds if you need it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2014

"I used Pristiq to treat anxiety/panic/depression after trying a few other meds that didn't work well a few years ago. Cymbalta was one that did work better when trying to find the right one but not quite as well. I eventually switched to Prozac due to cost, after that worked well for a year or two and eventually tapered off medicines all together. Had another episode and tried Prozac again and then Celexa, neither of which worked well. I just switched back to Pristiq and feel like I can literally tell the difference after only a day. I do know you need to take each day and at the same time to avoid withdrawal symptoms but I was able to get off it pretty easy in the past by switching to Prozac and then tapering. Hoping for the best!"

livebyfaith (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2014

"I've been taking 50 mg Pristiq in combination with 300 mg Wellbutrin for two weeks, and it's the best I've tried. This week I've been able to handle family and work issues with a sense of hope and able to focus rather than anxiety/ worrying, and that's awesome. I had been taking Prozac and Wellbutrin for years but felt it wasn't working. I tried everything but other meds didn't work or had bad side effects. This made me queasy at first, but my dr. had said that would get better, and it did. I take it at night because in the morning, it makes me tired. So don't give up! There is hope. Hang in there. "

amybintn July 26, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Cyclothymia, as severely depressed and adult ADHD. Been on Pristiq for 2 years, before that Cymbalta. Although both worked well, Pristiq has helped much more (no meds for ADHD). Had to have the dosage raised today because I must have hit a plateau and started feeling bad again. Doc says the higher dosage for six weeks should help get me back on track and then I can take the regular dose again. For anyone that has quit these medicines cold turkey, please don't do it, can cause seizures/psychotic episodes, talk to doctor. I'll be on these meds or something all my life, so feeling better-no complaints. I'm actually nicer on Pristiq and since I don't take anything for ADHD I'm still very interesting too."

Alicemcn5 July 11, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I could accept things better."

jji June 18, 2014

"I have tried 3 different antidepressants throughout my life & I have been on Pristiq for a year now. It worked really well to help my depression but 2 downfalls for me are massively low libido and withdraws before the tablet is due to be taken. Tingling, slow vision, what seems like electric currents going off in my head. Weaning off will be the biggest challenge due to rapid onset of side effects. I have read from people who tried to wean off them & failed because they were quite unwell."

Mel Down June 4, 2014

"I have never been so sick on a medicine in all of my life. Perhaps I don't handle SNRIs well. I felt completely out of body, threw up, and am dealing with after effects of coming off cold turkey. If you're sensitive to medicines, don't take this. There is only 1 dose which means jumping right on to the high "therapeutic" dose without tapering up. Scary! You're better off coming up slowly on a medicine that can be slowly tapered up and down."

kiji May 28, 2014

"Been off/on antidepressants for 20 years. Been on 100 mg of Zoloft for about 5 years now and was having some adverse effects- gained a lot of weight for starters. Started Pristiq about 3 weeks ago. I feel a lot clearer in the mind- guess I didn't realize the Fog I was in on the Zoloft. I'm not hungry- lost seven pounds in the first two weeks. Had some headaches while switching over. Sleep hasn't been a problem- but I have found that I need to take the meds at the same time in the mornings or I have headaches. So far, so good. Hopefully it will continue long term. I will probably be on meds the rest of my life- I've come to terms with that. Hoping this will be the last one I'm on!"

Ga girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My Psychiatrist put me in 50mg Pristiq for compulsive, regular binge eating and anxiety/depression. The first week I was on it, my anxiety-ridden thoughts about food changed completely and I lost interest in binge eating, so I have lost a few pounds so far. I was extremely happy, with virtually no anxiety. I am now on week 2, and the anxiety is starting to creep back in and I'm not quite as happy, so I will be discussing increasing my dosage with my doctor. The loss of interest in food has persisted. Overall, I think this medication is great and I plan to stay on it."

TulsaXOGirl May 9, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took 50mg pills for almost 5 months. I could feel the improvement in my mood and in my life as a consequence. No sexual side-effects. Unfortunately I had to stop because it was causing severe hair-loss (alopecia)."

BRMAN (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2014

"I rated Pristiq a 9 for the simple fact that although it was really helped me get out of depression, I have been having crazy vivid dreams. The dreams are not pleasant, or bad, just weird. I have flashbacks about them all through the day, and I can recall almost every little detail. Some might argue that this is not a bad side effect, however, because of this, I've been having poor sleep. All this said, it wouldn't be a reason for me to get off the medication. It has really given me back my life!"

vmart085 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been ON EVERYTHING even when it was in test study, Prozac, etc. After being on the test study for Pristiq I begged to be put on it on a regular basis. I sleep 7-8 hours per night uninterrupted, I am high performance on my job, I have a renewed life even including exercise. However this medicine is a 4 tier on my Blue Cross supplemental and it is very expensive for a 90 day supply."

dotts March 3, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had been on Pristiq for about 1 year at 50mg. While on it, the feelings of depression and anxiety pretty much disappeared. However, after changing my lifestyle for the better and going off Pristiq I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects. It has been 4 weeks now and I still have the brain zaps which make me feel unsteady. These zaps have been continuous and extremely upsetting. Add to this the deep states of sadness (mention the least sad thing and I would start crying) and the nightmares....it has been a very rough 4 weeks. For the last week I have had blood pressure swings from 110/60 to 218/111 and weakness in the large muscles of my legs and arms. For those going on or off, be careful!"

Tim123 February 28, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for 2 months, the first month I suffered almost all of the side effects from loss of appetite, headaches, dizziness, loss of concentration, loss of sex drive and not sleeping. 2 month in and I find myself having episodes of feeling really angry and crying for no reason and to the point of not eating and just sleeping. I am seeing a psychologist and am yet to discuss with them why I am still feeling depressed and now angry with or at myself."

Devilboy77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2014

"I was desperate for something that would get me out of the dark abyss that is anxiety and depression, and get rid of the constant thoughts of suicide. I turned to Pristiq - it was new, and made out to be a miracle. And it was. I had no side effects when I started taking it. I was able to get back to work and perform better in school. Everything seemed great. I had my life back. Until, months later, I went my first day without it. The withdrawal symptoms were crippling. Paranoia, a pounding headache, vertigo, and sweating are just a few of the symptoms I experienced in my withdrawal. The headache was so severe I could do nothing but lie down. I still take. Too difficult to quit. "

jahnj82a (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next