User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by Chrisstinna: User Rating:

Day 1. Took 50mg last night, felt "stoned", woke every hour, and had a nervous tummy, feeling hungry this morning, little more calm then normal for morning time. Still feeling slightly "stoned" and very tired. No nausea.

September 5, 2013 9:54 AM
Review by LeeMW (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I was on low dose Cymbalta for 2 weeks and could not handle the fatigue. I switched to Pristiq 50 mg a little over a week ago. My anxiety is 95% gone, my depression..the negative thoughts are gone, I'm not happy but I'm not sad either, my irritability and being easily startled has resolved. I'm able to go out without being anxious, am returning to work part time in a few weeks. I do feel a little tired a few hours after taking the medication but it doesn't last, my sleep is a little disrupted, little nausea but nothing I can't manage, constipation is a side effect but I use Colace (without the laxative), lost 4 lbs so far. Plan to stay on this indefinitely at this point. Just relieved to finally have some relief from the anxiety/depression.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 5, 2013 9:00 AM
Review by greatmed1: User Rating:

Been on this medication for over a year and I must say that it works very well. I feel happy, motivated, and in control. It is worth a try if you are suffering from severe depression. It works quick too. Cons : -Very expensive without insurance - withdrawals are awful and can occur within a day (for me) of not taking it.

August 29, 2013 7:33 PM
Review by Dweeble2: User Rating:

I tried Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta and Lexapro before I was put on Pristiq. The Lexapro helped but left me a sexual zombie. So my psychiatrist started me on 50 mg of Pristiq. Within days the sexual interest and feelings returned. After two weeks, she upped it to 100 mg and I've not had to take any anxiety medicines. Negatives: Nausea, upset stomach. Very vivid and sometimes very frightening dreams. A lot of tossing and turning. Fortunately, I have a very patient and loving partner who has been with me through all these months of depression. I will say that the medicine has made me much more positive and outgoing, and it is amazing how other people respond.

August 23, 2013 4:21 PM
Review by edupuis (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I am a female, 44 yo, took Pristiq over 9 months up to 100mg. It gave a little relief to my depression but did nothing for anxiety and panic attacks. I left my job on disability while on it, unable to cope anymore! I am still trying to find the right antidepressant. Tried Zoloft, Manerix, Celexa,Cymbalta, Wellbutrin without noticeable success or just bad side effects! Note I had no major side effects with Pristiq.

August 13, 2013 1:07 PM
Review by sixpaklady (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Works great on joint pain and helps balance your mood.

August 4, 2013 6:14 PM
Review by Millie Susan: User Rating:

Started on Pristiq after my grandmother and father both died suddenly a few days apart. Developed "shingles" --rash on my chin. Doctor said it was from the stress and increased the Pristiq. Got worse. Doctor and my friends said it looked like a burn. Finally reading blogs like this I guessed the Pristiq was causing the rash and burn-like symptoms. Been off of Pristiq for 16 days and my skin is clear. My head is better too although I can see the withdrawal will take many more weeks to subside.

July 31, 2013 7:54 PM
Review by Tazzy1202: User Rating:

After being depressed for a long time, I decided to approach my Doctor after therapy alone was not working. I was suffering severe mood swings, crying every day, anxiety attacks and so on. I am now on day 6 of 50mg of Pristiq and its amazing. Feel calm, in control, have not cried once and feel really good. Side effects have been nausea, insomnia (hope this will settle down) and decreased appetite. I was putting my family through hell and it feels like I have finally turned a corner.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 31, 2013 12:04 AM
Review by High BP!!: User Rating:

My doctor prescribed Pristiq for my anxiety. I was on it for 2 years and it was my saving grace. I know it says it can make anxiety worse but it took mine away. It was pricey but worth it. The only thing I MUST say is about the blood pressure. It states it can cause high blood pressure or make already high BP higher. My BP sat at about 130-150 over 90-100 while on Pristiq. I tell you too I am a healthy, thin 29 year old non smoker etc. I thought it was just my anxiety but now that I am off it my BP is 112/70! So for two years I had higher BP because of the Pristiq, so just be aware of that. But! It helped me through a horrible time and I'm thankful for that.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 24, 2013 10:11 PM
Review by JenJenSchro: User Rating:

I had an unexpected medical issue and was initially prescribed Buspirone to help deal with the ensuing depression. It took so long to kick in that all the other medicines I was taking made me suicidal. I talked to my doc who recommended a relatively new antidepressant called Pristiq. From the moment I started taking it my life changed for the better, no more suicidal thoughts, my days returned to normal. I took it for six months until I felt I no longer needed it. I reduced my dosage as directed and weaned myself off it. There were a few brain zaps as the dosage decreased, but once I understood what was going on everything was fine. The only downside I can think of was a decreased sexual drive, but with a great partner we worked our way through It.

July 19, 2013 12:47 AM
Review by Dieted whirl: User Rating:

I've been on 50mg for three years and it is wonderful. The only down fall is the price. It has gone up considerably in three years.

July 18, 2013 2:31 PM
Review by AbbeyL (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was originally on Prozac 20mg for my depression. I found the Prozac helpful, but emotionally numbing. I am participating in psychotherapy and it got to the point that I couldn't really access my feelings and it was interfering with my therapy. I spoke to my doctor and he switched me to Pristiq 50mg. I found that it was easy to adjust to (some nighttime sweating but that's about it). It gives me very good control of my depression. My irritability is also very well controlled. However, I am now able to access my feelings when I need to (such as in therapy) and I feel less numb. I am still able to manage stress just as well as when I was on Prozac, yet I don't feel so disconnected from the world and from myself.

July 13, 2013 12:54 PM
Review by Jogirlohio: User Rating:

I started on 50mg and went up to 100mg. It has been wonderful for stabilizing my moods. I lost my insurance and went off. It was horrible. I was in horrible shape and had to go back on it at full price. I now feel like I am stuck on it. I experience dizziness at times, gained 40 pounds in the 2 years I've been on it.

July 7, 2013 2:22 PM
Review by Sunshine60 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I had been depressed for many years and tried just about everything out there, nothing worked. Then my doctor put me on Pristiq. I am now feeling like a new person. I have been on it for 2 years now and never want to go off it. I have however forgotten to take a dose and the next day was awful. Mood swings in the snap of a finger, tears over minor things etc. Great medicine.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 3, 2013 12:12 PM
Review by NYC Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

My experience with Pristiq 50 mg works wonderfully. I've been on it for more than 2 years and don't prefer any other. It's low on side effects and it makes me feel like my true natural self, no zombie feeling at all. For the women in their 40's...Pristiq is a miracle medicine to lessen hot flashes and allows you to sleep well. No worry with sex problems, you will not have any problem.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 26, 2013 9:37 PM
Review by depressed girl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I'm 20 years old and just started Pristiq 4 days ago. First time on antidepressants and I noticed a change immediately! I can actually enjoy my days and not cry excessively or get as many anxiety attacks. The only side effects I have are nausea and loss of appetite. But I highly recommend it!

June 22, 2013 9:23 PM
Review by LC1004: User Rating:

I have been on many different antidepressants from the age of 15 till now (22). I have tried Wellbutrin which was decent, Zoloft, Lexapro, Effexor etc. Now I am on Pristiq 100 mg and couldn't be happier. All the years I've been trying to find what works for me, I finally have. My only complaint is that if I even forget to take it one night, within 10 hours I feel awful! Shaky, sweaty, brain zaps, rage etc. As long as I remember to take it, it's an amazing antidepressant.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 11, 2013 12:08 PM
Review by stellabobella: User Rating:

After having a serious injury to my back from a work related accident,and dealing with surgeons/physiotherapists and an array of specialist, I was Diagnosed with Major Depression and Adjustment Disorder. I have tried a multitude of anti-depressants to no avail. Finally my Doctor said that there was a fairly new medication, Pristiq that many people in similar situations were having success with and little side effects [as opposed to the traditionally prescribed medicines for similar situations]. I was very close to suicide because my whole normal life prior to my injury was gone. So what did I have to lose, I tried it. What a difference it made within the first week! I still can't do the things I used to do, but I can actually focus on things I can.

June 6, 2013 11:03 PM
Review by Mary Dom: User Rating:

After being in denial, I completely broke down with anxiety and depression. Went to my doctor and prescribed me Pristiq. After a week I took a big turnaround for the best, so happy! Stick with it, give it a chance to work. Side effects were nausea for the first few days stomach upset, but don't give up! I have been on Celexa in the past but takes to long to kick in..plus 40lbs weight gain. Pristiq cuts the appetite ,and you not hungry, at least if you needs a few lbs off this is the medicine to be on!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 16, 2013 11:57 PM
Review by So far So good: User Rating:

I've been suffering from major depression & anxiety for the past few years until I finally decided I've had enough! Initially I was prescribed Cipralex which helped with my anxiety but I gained way too much weight & couldn't stop eating so after approx 6 months I went off it which wasn't hard at all, no withdrawal symptoms. I was then put on Wellbutrin 150mg then after approx 1 month up to 300mg. I felt great positive energy lost a lot of the weight I gained. After approx 1 year I felt that this med was totally ineffective & I wasn't feeling anything. My doc then prescribed Cymbalta which appeared to work well for approx 1 month then after the next 2 months I didn't feel anything. Now I'm on Pristiq for just over 5 weeks, I feel good.

May 16, 2013 11:02 AM
Review by JTSHappy: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for 9 months now. I had the night sweats in the beginning and they went away after about 3 weeks. I thought the only other side effect I've experienced was when I would forget to take a pill. The next day I would be dizzy and would snap at people. The following day would be back to normal. I also have a bite guard to help with the jaw at night. I don't use it that often. I noticed in the past week my depression returning slightly. I was confused because Pristiq has worked wonders for me. Realized I have a sensitivity to caffeine. I love Dr. Pepper and quit drinking it when I started Pristiq. Started drinking DP again and had stomach problems and depression. So no more caffeine! I take 50mg.

May 1, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by depresseddad: User Rating:

I have dealt with depression stemming from an incident in my profession. I was initially on Zoloft for about 1-2 years. It worked OK but after a while not so much and all I got from it was that zombified "what's the point of life anyway" feeling. I switched to Pristiq and it was much better. It cuts the depression but doesn't give you that blahed out zombie feeling that the SSRIs can do. I don't have much of the side-effects luckily. I have noticed it takes longer to ejaculate (but I think my wife sort of likes that part of it- sorry for too much info). Anyway Pristiq is a great medicine. I noticed some people here had bad experiences with it. I think that's to be expected with all antidepressants. Keep trying and find the right one.

April 30, 2013 3:33 PM
Review by Gigiagain: User Rating:

I have suffered depression off and on for over 20 years. I take Cymbalta for chronic pain and still have fallen in a deep depression. My doctor added Pristiq and after day 1 I'm feeling much better!

April 29, 2013 3:22 AM
Review by Margaretmarie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Have been on Pristiq for 5 years. Started at 50 mg and after a few years kind of felt like it was wearing off. Upped to 100mg. For depression it worked great for 5 years but now wearing off again. I have side effects of clenching my jaw so terribly I needed a mouth guard at night, it has increased to where I have broken a tooth! Also, memory issues and tinnitus that can drive you nuts (no pun intended!). But, gotta say, it worked for me. Now slowly weaning off and trying Wellbutrin.

April 23, 2013 4:41 PM
Review by Highridge (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Was on Effexor for years. Learned that Pristiq has less side efect on sexual dysfunction. After being on Pristiq, I felt it was effective, gentle and my sexual issues improved.

April 10, 2013 10:20 PM