User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"first I was on sertraline and then my GP switched me to Pristiq because sertraline wasn't the right med for me and pristiq started to kick in within less than a week the drug is definitely working for me and I think I need higher dosage."

thol (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2015

"Pristiq has worked great for me for anxiety and depression two separate times throughout my life when I was put on other ADs and they didn't work as they should, including Prozac and Cymbalta. Takes awhile to get stable in your system but after about 6 months I was back to myself. Definitely recommend, the only con for me is that if you miss a pill you can definitely tell. I get wierd dreams if I miss a pill and feel grogy and irritable. When I had been on prozac missing a pill was never noticeable. Also, it is more expensive as there is no generic. It is worth it to me however to have something that fully works! Good luck to you!"

momof3cuties (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2015

"Pristiq has been a miracle for me. I had depression, anxiety disorder and panic attack disorder. I had tried many other medications, gained 50lbs, and was still mentally a mess. I had to take over a year off of school because I couldnt handle the stress. I started Pristiq and within a week i noticed I was no longer crying at the drop of a hat, was better able to concentrate and was actually feeling so much better in my mood. Ive been taking it for over a year now, ive lost 40 of the 50lbs i gained on my previous medication, and im back at school and doing great. I credit Pristiq with all of my recovery. For the first 2 weeks of Prestiq i had a side effect of insomnia, but that went away after 2 weeks, it was no big deal."

ERNYC (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

"hello, I am a 24 year old male who has been dealing with depression, anxiety, and lack of focus in my life four a couple years now. After a recommendation from a friend i decided to make a change and start on 50mg of prestiq. Im a relatively small person 5'5 130 pounds and immediately felt the effects of the medication. I had a huge surge of energy that was a little overwhelming. I was much more sociable and confident, also my curiosity was dramatically increased and i managed to blaze through several books in a weeks time. This was a huge shift in my normal behavior which was generally lazy and unfocused. Now I've been on the drug for about 3 months and the effects aren't as noticeable but I'd say my life has changed for the better."

beeblebrox69 April 14, 2015

"I have nothing but amazing things to say about Pristiq. I went through a 5-year toxic relationship, lost everything including myself, tried to rebuild my life after leaving him but could not stop feeling 'heavy'. Felt numb. Had anxiety, could not sleep and pretty much felt like I was living in the dark. Went to see doc, started with 50 - no side effects so after 2 weeks he upped to 100mg and after three weeks I started to feel better and after a month I was truly amazed. Its been just over three months and I feel better than ever. I can't believe I suffered for so long. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, it just isn't enough! Best thing I ever did for myself. Thank god for health benefits! Its expensive!"

Anxiety and Depression April 10, 2015

"Was put on pristiq around 8 months ago for severe anxiety/panic attacks. I couldn't even drop my kids at school without a panic attack and we live a minute from the school, I didn't wanna do anything go anywhere it was affecting my kids, my marriage, everything. Now I have my life back I put off going to the doc for a year, I wish I hadn't. I can function again. I did have to up my dose after about a month to 100mg and I still have a day here or there that I can feel my anxiety bubbling under the surface but it's nothing like it was it's manageable."

S88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2015

"Made me very sleepy so it must be taken at night"

Aunt lala38 March 25, 2015

"I have been on Pristiq now for about 15 months. I started on 50mg, which only worked for part of the day, I had to be bumped up to 100mg. I can't remember any immediate side effects, apart from maybe a little headache and dilated pupils due to a sudden burst of energy. They give you a burst of adrenaline. Now the medication has well and truly settled into my system, my body and mind now rely on it for me to actually function. If I miss a morning pill, by mid afternoon I am grouchy, prone to mood swings, tired and sleepy. If I miss two days, I am severely tired, sad, prone to rage and severe swings of depression. I have severe photosensitivity if I miss a pill. I have tripled the freckles on my body, my eyes cannot deal with bright lights."

Kayten March 16, 2015

"I started this medication for Bulimia. It worked - partially. From the day I took it I did not purge the entire time I was on it. I still binged though, and I gained weight. I didn't have an urge to exercise and ultimately that is why I am going off it. As well as the lack of energy, motivation and interest to exercise, that spilled over into the rest of my life. I lost interest in socializing, working, cleaning, cooking (very hard to just do anyways), I stopped sleeping, and after a year I didn't want to even watch tv or read. It's VERY hard to get off of and I insist people read reviews on withdrawing. It's been tough physically although I feel better mentally already. It served its purpose, but I should have gone off it after 6 months."

Keebly (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2015

"Pristiq is awesome so far.Don't reject it bcs it is nearly identical to Effexor. Effexor caused extreme sweating.I would stand in front of a forceful fan while dressing, and still be drenched!My doc told me I might not have that with pristiq and I don't! I am just over 6 weeks, and it took a full 4 weeks to kick in.The first couple of days I felt great, calm and happy, and got hopeful, but then slid back into the dark place.But I kept going and at 4 wks I suddenly one day woke up and started planning fun outings for my teen, after months of sofa lounging. 100mg, F, 56, 135lbs.Tried prozac (allergic), paxil (weight gain), effex (sweating), lexapro (out of dark place, but flat).I hear it's hell to stop, but I'm not going to stop. Why wld I?"

Miss-thymia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

"On my first day of Pristiq, I noticed an immediate surge of energy (coupled with a racing heart and a feeling of disorientation). I am somewhat sensitive to mediciations generally so I was prepared to inherit some of the side effects. What I have experienced in my first week is tiredness, irritability/difficult sleeping, grinding teeth, nausea (vomited 5 times on night 1, which settled on second day), loss of appetite and general stiffness around my neck and back. I trust these symptoms will settle in the coming weeks but thought it may be valuable to share my first week, for those who are a little sensitive to medication. In regards to my mental state, I can safely say my mood has been moderately chilled, unfazed and without any anxiety."

MissArtVandelay (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was totally down in the dumps for some reason even though my life was great. Finally I could take no more as my mind was giving me nasty thoughts to end things. Immediately went to the doctors and he prescribed me 50 mg Pristiq which sent my mind out of control. Now my whole being was in trouble and refusing to go to work and being around my family. Immediately back to the doctors to be put on 100 mg and I can say I have never looked back. Totally changed my life as I am myself again. Yeah a few sexual side effects but I can live with that I'm just glad to be back ."

Glad to be back January 1, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My wife unexpectedly told me she wanted a divorce and I was devastated. We have two small boys. I instantly saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me 50 mg of Pristiq. It seemed to help somewhat but I would still breakdown into hysterical crying fits. After 15 days she put me on 100 mg and I've been fine ever since. I feel like I can deal with this now. I have not had any negative side effects, except shaking my leg. I do have insomnia but I had that from the anxiety of the divorce and I'm prescribed something to help me sleep. I can't say for sure if the Pristiq causes the insomnia, but I do feel a little amped. Overall, it's better than I thought as I generally don't feel like I'm on something and feel like myself."

fkgajaohbv December 29, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Pristiq for about 3 months. I had insane anxiety and depression as well as insomnia that got so bad I ended up in the ER. I don't care if I ever come off of Pristiq because it works. I am normal again. I sleep, and for about 2 months I almost forgot what it was like to feel so anxious I could hardly function at work or life. I hesitated to start this medicine because my psychiatrist told me absolutely no drinking. I do have a few drinks on weekends and have no side effects from it. "

trixieLb December 18, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Pristiq for me is a life saver! The fist 2 days I took the medication I was tired, but now being on it for two weeks it is amazing. I used to cry at the drop of a hat, and I had severe anxiety. Pristiq is the only medication that has ever worked for me! Try it! It might save your life too!"

dbugg91 December 11, 2014

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had depression for a long time, sometimes more serious, sometimes less serious. In the past 7 years, I think I experience a "re-entry shock" going back to the teaching profession in HK. I need to take it once per day. I did not experience any side effect like sleepiness, dizziness. I can perform my normally heavy duties in my workplace. At first my doctor ask me to take it after evening, but since it will not affect my work and need not be taken after meals, I prefer to take it right after I get up, and I can establish a routine for it easily. Soon after I have taken Pristig, all my negative thoughts and feelings disappear like miracle and many people around me commented that I am happier than before."

ccsk (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2014

"Finally I see hope. After being diagnosed with severe depression (took me 4 years to seek treatment), I tried 5 different medications (plus therapy). They all failed miserably and I lost the hope I didn't even know I had, then tried suicide twice. Finally I was prescribed Pristiq and let me just say... what a difference! It got easier to wake up and get through the day, my self-esteem got better, my anxiety doesn't come as often, and I can even make plans for the future. For the first time I see change is possible. Just don't ever forget to take your pills, you can't really function without them. I got no side effects except for increased hunger/libido, and a bit of difficulty falling asleep. I'm taking 150mg now."

Amanda_GT December 3, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have forgot to take a couple of times. I am not able to function if I skip I have to go to doctor and beg for more if I run out. I am going to ask to be taken off this medicine and prescribed something else. My last experience was horrible. I ran out for 1 night and when I awoke I was falling everywhere and could not get it under control until I took a pill."

skisiks (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2014

"Started 12 weeks ago on 50mg stuck it out for 7 weeks - not much change and decided to step up to 100mg - 5 weeks later can say a change has arrived in the last 10 days and I am over the moon. I have refused medication all my life - this was a massive decision for me ... I wish now I'd done it years ago. Critical voice gone, anxiety close to gone, depression lifting, motivation returning - hope and dreams coming back. I now laugh, play jokes and manage stress 'normally'. I have to take care to get enough sleep - some days I am still really exhausted, but that is lifting. The side effects were as expected, dry mouth, need to eat regularly, headaches and perhaps a little sleep issues - but compared to life before they are well worth it."

Retroesque (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Pristiq for just over a month, and I don't have the desire to do anything. I have gone days without shaving or taking a bath. I feel like a zombie unable to make decisions or take care of myself and my home. I find myself seating all day on my sofa, and sleeping most of the day-My appetite has increased and now my weight gone up rapidly. After reading a recent post on this medication, I was shocked to learn that only one other person, has had the same experienced. I am quoting this medication, today."

JeffR02 October 29, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine saved my sanity. I had crippling anxiety/panic attack disorder that forced me to take a year and a half off of college. I was a complete and total wreck. After a year and a half of rest/therapy I decided I was ready to go back to school, within 3 weeks I was totally crumbling, and was completely overwhelmed (anxiety disorder I had worked so hard to treat was rearing its ugly head). I was scared to try another med because my old one made me gain 55lbs (despite dieting), but at this point I was so desperate. My psychiatrist gave me Pristiq and BAM a week later I was like a different person. No more constant crying and confusion. Now 10 months later I am doing really well in school and have lost 40lbs."

ElizaNYC October 23, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Went from 50mg to 100mg. After 3 weeks on 50mg trying to adjust. Not getting results with tears or compulsive behavior like eating. Side effects of face flushing and hot flashes, anxiety is worse. It hasn't been 30 days on the change yet. Feel crazy."

odat September 24, 2014

"I want to share my experience because I was terrified when I first started Pristiq. It was the first time I'd taken an antidepressant following a severe depressive episode. I read so many negative things about Pristiq and people over analysing it. It took 6 weeks to work and yes I had dry mouth, headaches and nausea but they passed after a few days. The anxiety went away gradually and I felt like I could control it again. The depression lifted too and I could function. I went cold turkey to come off it (Dr supervised) and yep side effects but no big deal. The brain zaps were full on but they lasted about 4 days. I feel great. Of course I'm doing lots of exercise and eating well too...but Pristiq helped."

Anonymous August 19, 2014

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has been very helpful to me. I started having extreme anxiety when I started taking Latuda. For two years I dealt with depression, severe anxiety and killer side effects from the SSRI (avoid them). In 2014 I finally said "ENOUGH!" I was a little scared to try a different medicine but life was so terrible I was willing to get some relief. I did not have any side effects when started taking the medicine. Pristiq has given some of my life back. I can function at the day program (which was in jeopardy before Pristiq) I highly recommend this medicine for those who suffer from depression and anxiety, at lease give it a try."

Root Beer Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 17, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was on Pristiq about a year ago, got of it due to, being totally grey, NO highs - No lows limited high happy moments. I know its supposed to level your moods. But I wanted off it. I weaned myself of it by buying a steel bladed pill cutter, cut the pill into "

Diggster (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2014