User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Depression 428 reviews 75 medications

7.4
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Pristiq reviews 428 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Pristiq

Review by BRMAN (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I took 50mg pills for almost 5 months. I could feel the improvement in my mood and in my life as a consequence. No sexual side-effects. Unfortunately I had to stop because it was causing severe hair-loss (alopecia).

March 24, 2014 7:26 PM
Review by vmart085 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I rated Pristiq a 9 for the simple fact that although it was really helped me get out of depression, I have been having crazy vivid dreams. The dreams are not pleasant, or bad, just weird. I have flashbacks about them all through the day, and I can recall almost every little detail. Some might argue that this is not a bad side effect, however, because of this, I've been having poor sleep. All this said, it wouldn't be a reason for me to get off the medication. It has really given me back my life!

March 12, 2014 9:08 AM
Review by dotts: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have been ON EVERYTHING even when it was in test study, Prozac, etc. After being on the test study for Pristiq I begged to be put on it on a regular basis. I sleep 7-8 hours per night uninterrupted, I am high performance on my job, I have a renewed life even including exercise. However this medicine is a 4 tier on my Blue Cross supplemental and it is very expensive for a 90 day supply.

March 3, 2014 10:16 PM
Review by Tim123: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I had been on Pristiq for about 1 year at 50mg. While on it, the feelings of depression and anxiety pretty much disappeared. However, after changing my lifestyle for the better and going off Pristiq I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects. It has been 4 weeks now and I still have the brain zaps which make me feel unsteady. These zaps have been continuous and extremely upsetting. Add to this the deep states of sadness (mention the least sad thing and I would start crying) and the nightmares....it has been a very rough 4 weeks. For the last week I have had blood pressure swings from 110/60 to 218/111 and weakness in the large muscles of my legs and arms. For those going on or off, be careful!

February 28, 2014 9:10 AM
Review by Devilboy77 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have been taking this medication for 2 months, the first month I suffered almost all of the side effects from loss of appetite, headaches, dizziness, loss of concentration, loss of sex drive and not sleeping. 2 month in and I find myself having episodes of feeling really angry and crying for no reason and to the point of not eating and just sleeping. I am seeing a psychologist and am yet to discuss with them why I am still feeling depressed and now angry with or at myself.

February 26, 2014 10:34 PM
Review by jahnj82a (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I was desperate for something that would get me out of the dark abyss that is anxiety and depression, and get rid of the constant thoughts of suicide. I turned to Pristiq - it was new, and made out to be a miracle. And it was. I had no side effects when I started taking it. I was able to get back to work and perform better in school. Everything seemed great. I had my life back. Until, months later, I went my first day without it. The withdrawal symptoms were crippling. Paranoia, a pounding headache, vertigo, and sweating are just a few of the symptoms I experienced in my withdrawal. The headache was so severe I could do nothing but lie down. I still take. Too difficult to quit.

February 24, 2014 9:28 PM
Review by 151Kat (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I started taking Pristiq 50mg for Major Depression, major anxiety, Chronic pain. I took it first day and it was GREAT! First week sleep, headaches were rough but energy was good. Gradually started decreasing by itself as I kept taking the pills. 9 month's later I was still taking the pills but I was dizzy, getting brain zaps, CRS, tinnitus, major anxiety, non-stop migraine for 2 months, bed rest, and had to go to psych hospital. Psych. MD upped to 100mg Pristiq that lasted a week. My whole spine was HURTING and now I am switching over to a new SNRI that I am not happy about. And still on withdrawal from Pristiq.

February 17, 2014 1:14 PM
Review by sbbt: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I took Pristiq for the first time today. Along side of Deplin and ADD medication. I thought it would be a good idea to take all this at night. Not so much. I am wide awake and have to start getting ready for work in 2 and a half hours. I have struggled with depression and anxiety for years now. But I must say today has been one of the best days I have had in a long time. I am sure me making a change in the right direction has something to do with it but still very happy and excited. I have had yawning already which I have experienced before on anti - depressants and I also have dry mouth. I have a pretty good cocktail going on but it had to be done.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 14, 2014 3:30 AM
Review by kt124 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I was diagnosed with anxiety and major depression just over a year ago. I am a 19 year old female and have a very difficult family situation. I first tried Cipralex which made me really irritable, then I tried Wellbutrin which gave me a rash. I was then on Cymbalta for 6 months, but I had many side effects and was exhausted. Within the first week on Pristiq I began to notice a huge difference, much more energy. A month later I almost feel like my old self, lots of energy, I can control my own thoughts, and I can concentrate which is amazing because I'm in university. I'm so glad I finally found something that works for me, and I'm looking forward to more improvements over time.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 27, 2014 12:13 AM
Review by Zyut (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: After a severe injury in the workplace, I hit rock bottom, depressed, suicidal, hopeless, really sad. I didn't understand what was going on, like someone else was at the wheel and I had to go along on this scary ride. I needed help so went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed clinical Depression, this was a relief to hear and separated me from the weirdo driving! Took 2 years of counseling and different medicines to find the right one, for me it is Pristiq. I have been on it for 8 years and now work full time. I think it takes a while for the user to live with an anti-depressant medication, I read and hear of many who want out after 2-4 years, but I found that just hanging in there is the way to go. I see myself as complete now, no side effects.

January 26, 2014 3:28 PM
Review by Kevin8888: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: Went to the doctor complaining of anxiety. Was waking up and not falling back asleep or even worse could not fall asleep. Was also having anxiety attacks. The last time this happened I was prescribed effexor which was a nightmare and Celexa which did nothing for me. Ended up quitting my job and with time off I returned to normal. Quitting my job this time is not a option so the doctor put me on Pristiq. Noticed a positive effect within 7 days and I have been on it for a month now. This drug has worked absolute wonders for me. I have had no side effects at all (and no sexual impotency).

January 23, 2014 7:27 PM
Review by amyc123 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have been taking 50mg of Pristiq for about 5 weeks now, and just started taking 100 mg a couple days ago. I am 31 yrs old, but have been on antidepressants for 10 yrs. I've tried many SSRI's (Lexapro for several yrs) and never felt much better at all. I remained depressed and began to try to accept that this is just what my life would be. Finally, about 2 months ago my Drs office began doing genetic testing which can guide them on what medicines your body will respond best to. So Pristiq it was. I think my mood has lifted somewhat. I'm really hoping it will improve even more as studies show full benefits take 6-8 weeks.

January 2, 2014 1:15 AM
Review by tried everything (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: So I had anxiety and depression. My GP prescribed Lexapro initially, then Wellbutrin, then Zoloft (coupled with Xanax). Nothing was working and I was waking up in the morning every day with panic attacks. My GP recommended I go to a Psych, which I did for first time in my life. He changed me to long acting Xanex XR Pristiq. Both have been massively better and Pristiq could be a game changer. The side effects I had adjusting to SSRIs were very very bad but getting on Pristiq has been very easy. Only a headache for 2 days. I recommend people try this. My panic attacks and anxiety literally vanished after 3-4 days. I feel like I finally found what I needed.

December 20, 2013 10:28 PM
Review by Jo Girl: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: Have been taking Pristiq for just on a month -- relief from anxiety and depression after 3 days and able to concentrate and focus again to full capacity -- no side effects and sleeping well. I was on Efexor on and off for 10 years, with not a lot of relief from anxiety symptoms. Have lost some weight as well, and am starting to feel very positive.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 22, 2013 3:06 AM
Review by finnow: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I am a 47 yo male who has been on 100mg of Pristiq for 2 years. First on 50mg then increased. I found I was sleepy for the first few months but nothing compared to the original symptoms like depression, anxiety etc. My only concern is the withdrawal effects. On one occasion, I went to Pharmacy on Saturday and they advised I needed a new script. I had to wait until Monday to get a script and they were the two worst days in my life....the withdrawal was chaotic, I argued with the chemist in a rage....never done this before...I called them an hour later sobbing and apologising for my behavior, I had awful flashes in my eyes and headaches that made a migraine feel like party.....I was frantic at the doctor on the Monday morning

November 10, 2013 1:00 PM
Review by Daveoh: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I started Pristiq 2 years ago and have been on risperidone for about 20 years. These two drugs have kept me feeling quite fuzzy and warm. There is not much that I can't tackle in a day. I am like Teflon when it comes to negativity. 100 mg a day. No worries. I have lost about 30 lbs and have quit smoking after 20 yrs. Pristiq has been my wonder drug. I don't plan on stopping this medication anytime soon.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2013 10:51 AM
Review by anxiety guy: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have suffered from severe anxiety (GAD) and was taking more and more Klonopin as time went on. I am very sensitive to medication and have tried many different SSRI/SNRI's through the year with horrible side effects. Finally, I had DNA testing to see what I would respond to and the result was Pristiq. I started it several months ago in a small dose (I split the pills even though they say don't do this) and within a few days my anxiety literally went away. I was able to cut my Klonopin in 1/2 over a two month period. The first week or two I was extremely tired but that passed. The only side effect I get from time to time is migraines. It still amazes me that my anxiety has disappeared. I no longer keep Klonopin in my pocket!

November 1, 2013 4:37 PM
Review by caziii (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: Dr put me on pristiq because I was having a bad time dealing with the loss of a loved one. It's my first medication and have been on it for 9 months, Although it has relieved my mild anxiety I have decided that this or any other medication isnt for me.The weight gain has pprobably been the worst and only side effect for me, after 3 months I piled on 10kgs. On my pharmacists advice I have been lowering my dose on alternate days and am now on my third day without taking it. I feel like im a little tipsy/heavy headed by the end of the day and that's all so far but is bareable and I still manage to go about my day as normal, hopefully this doesn't last long. I have never experienced brain zaps either

October 29, 2013 8:33 AM
Review by Happy Girl Again: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Pristiq for the past 12 months. I started on 50mg and went up to 100 mg after about 3 months. The side effects were terrible for the first two weeks. I have no side effects now except insomnia - however i have had insomnia for many years, i just have to make sure i have Pristiq as soon as i get up. I am a much happier and relaxed person and it helped save my marriage. My husband is a saint but only a saint can take so much :)

October 25, 2013 5:59 AM
Review by Don't give up (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I've been on Pristiq for about 2 yrs, started on 50mg but after a couple of months I started feeling very moody, Dr put it up to 100mg, again a few months later same thing happened, had it increased to 150mg, I've been on this dose for over a year, Dr. never thought I would take this dose as I am small frame and only 55kg. I started taking it at night and found that my mind was going at a million miles an hr, did not sleep for a week, changed to the morning which works well. As others have mentioned, if I miss a dose I get dizzy. Pristiq has helped me, saved my marriage, and my life, I am calmer, anxiety gone, mood swings gone, suicidal thoughts gone. Give it time and if all else fails get help. Good luck!

October 18, 2013 7:37 AM
Review by Frank26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I found my experience on Pristiq to be similar to when I was on Effexor XR. They are very similar medicines. I switched to Pristiq after I wasn't getting the relief from depression and anxiety anymore on Lexapro and Xanax. Unfortunately, I've had to discontinue the Pristiq after about 6 months. It does help with depression but it was making me easily agitated/irritable and I've had considerable weight gain. I would take it in the morning and often have thoughts of suicide by the time i went to bed. I have switched back to Lexapro but just added Wellbutrin XL and switched my anxiolytic to longer acting Klonopin. I've read this is a great combo and hope it works! Good luck everyone.

September 25, 2013 8:47 PM
Review by Better now (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: After having my second child I had severe post natal depression. Counselling and group therapy didnt help all. Six months later I started on 50mg Pristiq, then 100mg after 2 weeks. At first side effects were quite full on. I took Pristiq in the morning, was full of energy. Then after lunch time, I was unbearably tired and had to have a nap, even for 20 mins. I just could not stay awake. I tried to take it at night but then I couldn't sleep. So, I stuck with taking it in the morning. The tiredness effect didn't last long, maybe a month? At the start there were also headaches but they soon subsided after about a month. It helped to take Pristiq with a full cup of water. I have been on it for a year and a half now and feel so much better.

September 18, 2013 8:54 AM
Review by Mexico Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: A little over two years due to a job change and move, I suffered many anxiety/panic attacks. One of them landed me in the ER. I was then diagnosed with depression. I was put on Pristiq and with time it started working. I took the medication for about 18 months and then very slowly went off. I don't like being dependent on medication. My main reason for going off was my sex drive. You are very limited as to what you can take while on antidepressants. I am starting to feel like I am slipping into depression once again so will probably start again. Pristiq worked wonders for me.

September 13, 2013 12:09 PM
Review by feeling renewed (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I suffered from depression caused by many different things. Before this medicine, I had hit the point where I was horrible. My marriage was about to end, it was so bad. The first day, I took one as soon as I picked it up. Within a few hours I was happier. I had more patience and that horrible ball of tension across my shoulders was gone for the first time in months. I was nauseated, and dizzy. I am now on day three, I notice I am handling stressful things better, and am in general happier. The dizziness has abated, diarrhea, and nausea are still there, and I am sweating way more. That is worth it though, to save my marriage, and feel this happy again.

September 11, 2013 8:27 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: I have Bipolar Disorder and I was put on 50mg of Pristiq in May. It worked well for a bit. The Psych Doc increased the dose to 100mg last week. I've noticed a huge difference in my anxiety. My anxiety is near gone! I did have headaches, but I've only been on this new dose for almost a week. Oh, at times I feel a little nauseous.

September 9, 2013 2:07 PM