User Reviews for Corticotropin

Also known as: ACTH, Acthar, H.P. Acthar Gel

Learn more about Corticotropin.

Reviews for Corticotropin to treat Multiple Sclerosis

Review by Chelle RN: User Rating:

corticotropin: This is my first experience with Acthar Gel for an exerbation of Multiple Sclerorsis (I am allergic to steroids) and I will rate my experience as a 10! I feel like " myself"....which had truly been long forgotten. This is the first time in months I am not experiencing pain (excruciating lower back pain from an unsteady gait and muscle spasms in my lower back) ...the "cheerleader kicks" which randomly occur during all hours of the night are GONE...as are the creeping crawling sensations that drive me nuts. I did have to deal with incredible "munchies", but its a small price to pay for how great I feel. My insurance covered the entire cost of the medicine, with only a hundred dollar co pay. I am MYSELF. FEELS AMAZING!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 5:32 AM
Review by kilkennyblue: User Rating:

Acthar (corticotropin): I am allergic to steroids and we used this once in my first flare up after a year of relapse. The initial results were great, but the episode returned in less than two weeks after the treatment ended. Worse side effect was a huge increase in blood sugar. The cost of the medication is outrageous even with great insurance.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 25, 2013 7:18 PM
Review by Christin in CO: User Rating:

Acthar (corticotropin): I've used this twice for a flare up as it was thought that I was allergic to steroids. This medication is a gel, injected. Its about a 2 week course (2 vials) and slowly stimulates your own steroids production to help with flare ups. My own experience is that I felt very ill during the first week, as steroid production amps up, you get the typical steroid feelings. it is very expensive, but my insurance paid for this.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2012 3:41 PM
Review by Annonymous: User Rating:

H.P. Acthar Gel (corticotropin): I have done the once a day application for five days straight on the Acthar gel, followed a week later by another five day dose. Stings like all get up going in, kind of reminds me of peanut butter shots. Felt much better after the first treatment, again after the second. After a month or so later, MS symptons were back. I have had a headache beyond the pain of migraines (I get those too) and I get medicines for it, but I can't take that unless someone can watch my kids as most of them make me so sleepy. Tried Provigil...got hallucinations...about to start Nuvigil, hope that works a bit better. I take Betaseron. Starting pulse therapy - first three days of month take Acthar keeping all the rest of the medicines the same.

July 19, 2009 8:51 PM

Learn more about Multiple Sclerosis

Learn how medication, diet, and exercise are key to managing Multiple Sclerosis. Click Here