User Reviews for Cipro

Learn more about Cipro.

Cipro Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 302 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cipro to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Developed severe reactions to Cipro. Took 250 mg for only two days but developed itching, rash, nausea and headache that lasted days after I stopped taking it."

E. J. February 6, 2016

"Took for 7 days, twice daily at 250 mg. This medication did nothing for me, still have my UTI."

Jill L January 6, 2016

"I was suffering from a UTI for over 2 weeks. Burning had stopped but was loosing my mind over how severe the urgency was. I got prescribed macrobid, after 4 days of no relief I went to the ER and got prescribed Cipro 500mg two times a day for 5 days. I took my second pill and my symptoms are 98% gone. The only side effect was a bit of anxiety after the first pill. But, this could've been because I had read so many scary reviews. I'm truly grateful for this drug. I was sleepless and restless to the point of depression. So happy something is finally helping!"

Dreaasan January 4, 2016

"I had a urinary tract infection so bad that when I pee it smells but when I started taking ciprofloxacin it worked it's a good medicine for a urinary tract infections."

Fat face (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

"I was seen in the local ER, for uti, was taking macrobid,didn't work .so the ER doc gave me cipro 500mg twice day for five days.only side effect is weird dreams,and thirsty.this med works!!"

female 40 November 23, 2015

"I'll give it a few stars because it made my UTI symptoms BETTER.. However did NOT clear up the infection! I just finished up the bottle after taking twice a day for ten days. Yet 2 days later I am feeling the terrible symptoms all over again, like nothing has changed. Will be going back to the Dr tomorrow for a stronger medication."

Am1234567 (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2015

"I have a bad UTI and was doubled over in severe pain. After the first pill of Cipro (500 mills), the pain has lessened dramatically. I'm shocked it worked so quickly! However, all antibiotics make me nauseous and fatigued, but I'll take that over severe pain."

MissMaren (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2015

"it help with the pain but as far as the side effects my heels feel horrible feels like pins and needles worse feeling ever"

loveblu (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2015

"This was prescribed for my son who has Cerebral Palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. He became swollen in his legs ankles and feet. Took for 48 hours and discontinued as the swelling progressed. Rushed to MD, had to take a different medicine (Macrobid). Thankfully the swelling subsided in a few days. I have read many horror stories about the side effects of this medicine - some permanent! I do not recommend. Please keep in mind that a urine sample should always be cultured, not just tested with a dipstick as the treatment really depends on the type of bacteria that's causing the uti."

Stressed Mother October 13, 2015

"I took Cipro for a UTI. It worked great. I took 750mg twice a day for 10 days and it worked perfectly. After the first dose I start feeling relief from my UTI symptoms ( frequent urge, slight incontinience, shy bladder, etc). I gave Cipro a thumbs up. I am late twenties, male, active, no allergies."

J4x0n30D October 8, 2015

"This is poison and can cause long term muscular, joint and nerve damage and degeneration. After one pill I felt leg pain and tightness that felt muscular in nature. I talked to my doctor and she didn't associate it with cipro. After another day of taking it, the pain began migrating, heading into my joints and moving all around my body. I popped my shoulder and had excruciating pain taking my briefcase out of my car. I read on line and found out about cipro toxicity. I called my doctor and said I read about this and given my symptoms I thought I should stop it. They agreed. I have been off the pills for 5 days now and still have the roving pains. Mostly in legs, shooting, burning, aching, tight alternating. Hands,shoulders,knees..."

Rae Mackgee September 20, 2015

"I have taken Cipro many times, but, only a 250mg at a time. Taken 2 times a day. Maybe these other people that were on 500mg's were on to high a dose. I've never had a bad experience with it, only relief & stopped the UTI. I can't take a sulfa med because I'm allergic to it. So this works. I was on it for 5 days."

pbp (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2015

"I was given the pill 2 times per day at 500 mg. I am in my early 30's and feeling still overall blah on the 4th day of the meds. Feeling numb on my feet and nausea after taking the pill. I am on no other medications. Normally I rarely remember my dreams, but last two nights I have horrible nightmares."

DashAEW September 5, 2015

"I would give it a negative 100 if I could. It is being misused for simple infections and has destroyed 100s of 1000s of lives. It destroyed mine. (after only 4 pills). look up Cipro toxicity. Got to the fluoroquinolone wall of pain. Do some homework but do NOT take this drugs unless you are dying and there is no other option."

hedgey (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2015

"This is a miracle pill! It works for UTI's. As a little girl up until now and I'm 29 I've always got UTI's, especially in my early 20's every month literally. After meeting with the specialist who prescribed me Cipro, he said take 1 pill when you feel the symptoms and ever since then I feel my UTI's are under control I've got 2-3 per year which is amazing for me considering I been getting these my whole life, I can't be more pleased!! I had no side affects from the pill. Thank you doctor for this prescription!! Happy patient"

Vonnie Acosta July 29, 2015

"Oh man thank God for this drug!!!!!! I literally JUST realized I have a UTI and I'm out of the country, but I have ciprofloxacin with me. I can tell I only just developed the UTI since symptoms weren't unbearable yet. Within the last 30 minutes since taking the pill I already have some relief. I'm concerned about the possible side effects after reading these reviews, but honestly I feel like anything is better than a UTI."

Gwen82091 July 19, 2015

"I found out I had a UTI a week after I had my annual physical examination. I did not get my prescription until a week later so I would assume I had the UTI for two weeks to a month. Doc prescribed me to take two 500mg daily. The side affects suck. Night one I did not sleep. I took a 3 hour nap and was up for 16 hours. Day two's morning dose had me nauseous. I just took my night dose so hopefully the side effects won't be bad. My UTI symptoms went away within my first dosage (slight pressure, cloudy urine, sensitivity)"

Kc. (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

"Great medication for curing UTI but the side effects are horrendous and not worth it. After 3 days tendon pain in my heels, pain and tingling in my feet made it almost impossible to walk. Dr. took me off immediately and now, more than 3 months later the pain is finally beginning to subside. Never suffered side effects from any medication when younger but now at 65 have to be extremely careful."

Anonymous 1950 May 3, 2015

"I had kidney pain . Back back. Pain that went down to my leg and I couldn't sleep. Thought it was from maybe over drinking so drank a lot of water but 7 days later of eating only vegetables and fruits and taking cranberry juice and anti oxidants I went to the doctor . After my first pill the pressure was gone and after the second pill (500mg) the pain was gone. It works!! No side effects other than slight nausea but that's nothing compared to one week of pain and sleepless nights."

Abraham22 May 1, 2015

"Prescribed 500 mg twice a day for UTI. By night four, had the most amazing aches in my left leg from hip through knee particularly. Halfway through the (sleepless, since it interacts with my usual sleep remedy) night, it switched legs. A relief in that I didn't have to worry that I was suddenly developing an orthopedic condition. Day and night five just as bad. Being careful with exercise so as not to harm a tendon. Something is going on. It's cured the UTI so I will stick it out for the five days. Hope these aches go away after. Taking Neurontin and a bedtime hydrocodone help, but that makes me useless! However, a urine culture said my infection was ONLY sensitive to Cipro, so ..."

CoCoKitty April 21, 2015

"Have taken cipro before for a uti with no problems; & immediate relief. This time after 2 days of 500 MG twice a day right calf muscle cramping horribly along with tingling & numbness on bottom of both feet. Very lethargic, but uti is better. Will cut in half & try 250 MG 3 times a day."

splimaid (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday. Prescribed 250 mg Cipro 2x per day. I just had my third dose 20 minutes ago. The pain has lessened slightly and is becoming more manageable. I hope to be rid of the burning by this evening. So far, I'm happy with it (provided it works). I did have some side effects upon starting it: confusion, forgetfulness and I had some weird dreams. My boyfriend told me I was shaking in my sleep at one point and he was afraid I was seizing. Other than the mental side effects, I feel fine. Try a probiotic 30 minutes after each dose to counteract GI side effects."

AryaShark (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

"Cipro has been a great help dealing with my urinary tract infections. Normally after the first pill I feel tremendous relief. I am fortunate that I do not experience any side effects."

MarzG February 8, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wow, many of your reviews are very helpful. I am a vibrant, healthy & semi-athletic post-menopausal female. I ignored symptoms which were later diagnosed as CTI; acute abdomen pressure, urge to urinate every few minutes with pulsing and finally, bloody urine. Cipro worked for me within the 1st 24 hrs ...500 mg 2x p/day for 5 days... No side effects, only relief..."

Skipperose February 3, 2015

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've taken this medicine about 7 times. It works well for the UTI, and prior to taking it this last time I had little side effects. This last time however was horrible. I couldn't sleep (not even a wink!) was shaky, felt like I couldn't walk, sore everywhere, headaches from hell... all of these effects started to happen on the 5th day... the 7th day (last day) was the worst and continued for the next week. I like this medicine because it works for the UTI, but I will not take it again. The side effects are scary."

RecurrentUTIs (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2015