Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Cipro

Learn more about Cipro.

Cipro review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cipro to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by MarzG:

Cipro has been a great help dealing with my urinary tract infections. Normally after the first pill I feel tremendous relief. I am fortunate that I do not experience any side effects.

February 8, 2015 5:14 AM

Review by Skipperose:

Wow, many of your reviews are very helpful. I am a vibrant, healthy & semi-athletic post-menopausal female. I ignored symptoms which were later diagnosed as CTI; acute abdomen pressure, urge to urinate every few minutes with pulsing and finally, bloody urine. Cipro worked for me within the 1st 24 hrs ...500 mg 2x p/day for 5 days... No side effects, only relief...

February 3, 2015 5:51 PM

Review by RecurrentUTIs (taken for less than 1 month):

I've taken this medicine about 7 times. It works well for the UTI, and prior to taking it this last time I had little side effects. This last time however was horrible. I couldn't sleep (not even a wink!) was shaky, felt like I couldn't walk, sore everywhere, headaches from hell... all of these effects started to happen on the 5th day... the 7th day (last day) was the worst and continued for the next week. I like this medicine because it works for the UTI, but I will not take it again. The side effects are scary.

February 1, 2015 10:46 PM

Review by ynnep1966:

Prescribed Cipro for a urinary tract infection 500 mg 1 every 12 hrs, noticed a great difference after 2 pills. Made me feel a little sick still after 3 days so I started breaking the tablet in half to help with the blah feeling. Works great for urinary tract infection.

January 27, 2015 7:22 PM

Amazing. I was prescribed ciprofloxacin 500mg. I took just one pill and had major relief.

January 21, 2015 5:33 PM

Review by TreeCat:

I usually get 2-3 urinary tract infections per year. This is my first time using Cipro. I started on it 3 days ago and have had no side effects. The UTI is about 99% gone and I had major relief in the first 24 hours. No problems with discomfort when urinating, just a slight tinge after I go but barely noticeable and my urine is clear without any odor. I was hesitant to use it due to the side effects but am pleased that I have not experienced them.

January 16, 2015 8:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I am reading the comments and I am really surprised at how long and at how high a dosage some people with urinary tract infections are reporting. I went to the doctor this morning because I have a UTI, but I was given 6 Cipro pills, each 250 mg to be taken twice a day. From what I understand, most doctors will try this 3 day fix and not put you on an extended dose. I am reading comments that some people are on for 10 days. I am all for stamping out an infection, but I want to do it with as little medication as possible. So far so good. Who knows, I might need a new prescription but for now I am hoping that this modest approach of a 3 day treatment will do the trick.

January 10, 2015 2:10 PM

Review by lanai00:

Symptoms I had before being put on Cipro were the usual - blood in urine, pressure on bladder, need to pee every 10 seconds even after going, stinging. After being on 500 mg twice almost all the symptoms were gone but the side effects were horrible. I had nausea, headache, diarrhea, drowsiness and some chest pain. The size of the pills are relatively huge too. Not supposed to split them but I did anyway cos it got stuck in my throat and made me throw up my dinner once. I put the split pill into a 00 veggie capsule which makes it easy to swallow and I can't taste the bitterness.

November 25, 2014 10:48 PM

This medicine is amazing. I have taken this for three different urinary tract infections and it has cured them in only one day, seriously. I give it a rating of 11.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by sanboa (taken for less than 1 month):

I was initially given amoxicillin for my UTI but after 3 days, I still had a fever, cloudy urine and overall blahs. Went back to Dr. and was given Cipro. Wow...less than 24 hours later, fever is gone and urine is clear. I do have a headache but I don't know if that is from Cipro or from sleeping so much. The list of side effects are a bit scary but so far, no problems.

November 22, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by UghTI:

I have been getting urinary tract infections since I was a small child and the only antibiotic that has worked for me 100% of the time is Cipro. I have never had any side effects but I am not sensitive to any medicines that I am aware of. I also use AZO Maximum Strength for the pain as an alternative to Pyridium although if I have a prescription, Pyridium is actually cheaper (with insurance) than purchasing AZO.

October 28, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by MamawPapaw (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been suffering from urinary tract infections for most of my adult life. The first Dr that prescribed Cipro for me was a "Saint"! Nothing else works for me like it. I take 500mg twice a day for a week to 10 days. I insist on this medication. I've never had any issues with any side effects... Only amazing relief! I'm now in my late 60's and I still take this when I have a UTI.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Driftways (taken for less than 1 month):

I am a male. Have been taken it for only 3 days, so cannot comment on efficacy yet but since starting it have been afflicted with continual attacks of Hiccups (not listed as a side effect) Annoying and very debilitating (To those around me as well!) Seeing Doctor in two days to decide course of action. Will report later.

July 28, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

On the 7th and last day for taking Cipro I developed a rash with no itching on most of my body . After 2 weeks I still have some rash and also nausea. My doctor said Cipro had nothing to do with either. It did clear up my UTI infection but should I not take Cipro ever again .Thanks.

July 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Review by The warrior! (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Cipro for three weeks now, had a horrible urinary tract infection that was not caught on time, and it went to my Kidney. To my luck this medication exists and also is my worst nightmare. (I'm used to it now, but the first three days, I couldn't sleep, I had the worst headaches ever, fever, body aches, a little of diarrhea, and lost of appetite) I have two more days to go. At first I thought the headaches were because I stopped drinking coffee, like a LOT!, but stopped my coffee intake when I got super sick. I'm currently on a 1000mg Cipro and wooo.. I can tell you, that as much as the side effects kick you, this medicine sure is working wonders. I drink plenty of water now, I honestly don't ever want to go back to having a urinary tract infection.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Jleblo:

I was put on Cipro to treat a urinary tract infection. I was already on a medication that suppressed my immune system and even though the Cipro did wonders for my UTI, the side effects were unbearable. I was directed to take 1 250mg tabs twice daily for 3 days. I was only able to get through the first 2 days. The side effects were from what was a mild headache the first day to a severe headache the second day accompanied with muscle pain, joint aches, shortness of breath and even chest palpitations on the right side. I went in to see my doc and he said to come off them because even though they worked well for my UTI, my body was clearly unable to tolerate the side effects. Overall I say the medicine is very effective but is also strong so beware side effects.

May 1, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by Jilly Girl:

Took it for a urinary tract infection and immediately broke out in hives, fast heart rate and other unpleasant side effects. Had to take Benadryl and then was prescribed something else that worked.

April 25, 2014 10:55 AM

Review by LinaOchoa (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ciprofloxacin is a great antibiotic for a urinary tract infection in 2 days it'll be gone! Pain free.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2014 9:15 AM

Review by Miss Lisa June:

Cipro really cured my urinary tract infection, but around my eyes I had hives and face swelling. But the medication out weighed the side effects. I will take Cipro again.

August 19, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by littlebit12356789:

Cirpo gave me severe nerve pain in my neck and head less than 24 hours after starting the medication.

August 14, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by GoGreen02:

Worked wonderfully. Was on Bactrim for a week with no relief, but after my first pill of Cipro I felt 100 times better and was sleeping through the night. On my fourth day of taking and no side effects and feeling awesome.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 9:35 PM

Review by BetterMe (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a urinary tract infection, which unfortunately went up to my kidneys so my MD prescribed Cipro. I already felt better after 2 days of taking it however I was getting terrible headaches that do not go away even if I take over the counter meds. That's the least of my worries though, as long as my infection got treated.

July 6, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by BuckeyeFan23:

I took Cipro a year ago for a urinary tract infection and had very little side effects. I just started taking Cipro again two days ago for another UTI and this time it is making me miserable. I no longer have the symptoms of a UTI but my muscles hurt, I feel tired and I have had some diarrhea.

June 29, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Jewelry Queen (taken for less than 1 month):

I was put on a dose of 1000 mg a day. Took care of the urinary tract infection like a charm but the side effects were not pleasant. I had heartburn and nausea after every dose, and antacids can't be taken for 2 hrs. after. I also had headaches and kept smelling burning plastic.

March 6, 2013 1:03 PM

Review by Anonymousme:

After only two doses I experienced nausea, dizziness, stomach cramps, and muscle and joint pains. I couldn't finish the Cipro I was prescribed.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 12:10 PM