User Reviews for Cipro

Learn more about Cipro.

Cipro Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cipro to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I would give it a negative 100 if I could. It is being misused for simple infections and has destroyed 100s of 1000s of lives. It destroyed mine. (after only 4 pills). look up Cipro toxicity. Got to the fluoroquinolone wall of pain. Do some homework but do NOT take this drugs unless you are dying and there is no other option."

hedgey (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2015

"This is a miracle pill! It works for UTI's. As a little girl up until now and I'm 29 I've always got UTI's, especially in my early 20's every month literally. After meeting with the specialist who prescribed me Cipro, he said take 1 pill when you feel the symptoms and ever since then I feel my UTI's are under control I've got 2-3 per year which is amazing for me considering I been getting these my whole life, I can't be more pleased!! I had no side affects from the pill. Thank you doctor for this prescription!! Happy patient"

Vonnie Acosta July 29, 2015

"Oh man thank God for this drug!!!!!! I literally JUST realized I have a UTI and I'm out of the country, but I have ciprofloxacin with me. I can tell I only just developed the UTI since symptoms weren't unbearable yet. Within the last 30 minutes since taking the pill I already have some relief. I'm concerned about the possible side effects after reading these reviews, but honestly I feel like anything is better than a UTI."

Gwen82091 July 19, 2015

"I found out I had a UTI a week after I had my annual physical examination. I did not get my prescription until a week later so I would assume I had the UTI for two weeks to a month. Doc prescribed me to take two 500mg daily. The side affects suck. Night one I did not sleep. I took a 3 hour nap and was up for 16 hours. Day two's morning dose had me nauseous. I just took my night dose so hopefully the side effects won't be bad. My UTI symptoms went away within my first dosage (slight pressure, cloudy urine, sensitivity)"

Kc. (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

"Great medication for curing UTI but the side effects are horrendous and not worth it. After 3 days tendon pain in my heels, pain and tingling in my feet made it almost impossible to walk. Dr. took me off immediately and now, more than 3 months later the pain is finally beginning to subside. Never suffered side effects from any medication when younger but now at 65 have to be extremely careful."

Anonymous 1950 May 3, 2015

"I had kidney pain . Back back. Pain that went down to my leg and I couldn't sleep. Thought it was from maybe over drinking so drank a lot of water but 7 days later of eating only vegetables and fruits and taking cranberry juice and anti oxidants I went to the doctor . After my first pill the pressure was gone and after the second pill (500mg) the pain was gone. It works!! No side effects other than slight nausea but that's nothing compared to one week of pain and sleepless nights."

Abraham22 May 1, 2015

"Prescribed 500 mg twice a day for UTI. By night four, had the most amazing aches in my left leg from hip through knee particularly. Halfway through the (sleepless, since it interacts with my usual sleep remedy) night, it switched legs. A relief in that I didn't have to worry that I was suddenly developing an orthopedic condition. Day and night five just as bad. Being careful with exercise so as not to harm a tendon. Something is going on. It's cured the UTI so I will stick it out for the five days. Hope these aches go away after. Taking Neurontin and a bedtime hydrocodone help, but that makes me useless! However, a urine culture said my infection was ONLY sensitive to Cipro, so ..."

CoCoKitty April 21, 2015

"Have taken cipro before for a uti with no problems; & immediate relief. This time after 2 days of 500 MG twice a day right calf muscle cramping horribly along with tingling & numbness on bottom of both feet. Very lethargic, but uti is better. Will cut in half & try 250 MG 3 times a day."

splimaid (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Was diagnosed with a UTI yesterday. Prescribed 250 mg Cipro 2x per day. I just had my third dose 20 minutes ago. The pain has lessened slightly and is becoming more manageable. I hope to be rid of the burning by this evening. So far, I'm happy with it (provided it works). I did have some side effects upon starting it: confusion, forgetfulness and I had some weird dreams. My boyfriend told me I was shaking in my sleep at one point and he was afraid I was seizing. Other than the mental side effects, I feel fine. Try a probiotic 30 minutes after each dose to counteract GI side effects."

AryaShark (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

"Cipro has been a great help dealing with my urinary tract infections. Normally after the first pill I feel tremendous relief. I am fortunate that I do not experience any side effects."

MarzG February 8, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Wow, many of your reviews are very helpful. I am a vibrant, healthy & semi-athletic post-menopausal female. I ignored symptoms which were later diagnosed as CTI; acute abdomen pressure, urge to urinate every few minutes with pulsing and finally, bloody urine. Cipro worked for me within the 1st 24 hrs ...500 mg 2x p/day for 5 days... No side effects, only relief..."

Skipperose February 3, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've taken this medicine about 7 times. It works well for the UTI, and prior to taking it this last time I had little side effects. This last time however was horrible. I couldn't sleep (not even a wink!) was shaky, felt like I couldn't walk, sore everywhere, headaches from hell... all of these effects started to happen on the 5th day... the 7th day (last day) was the worst and continued for the next week. I like this medicine because it works for the UTI, but I will not take it again. The side effects are scary."

RecurrentUTIs (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2015

"Prescribed Cipro for a urinary tract infection 500 mg 1 every 12 hrs, noticed a great difference after 2 pills. Made me feel a little sick still after 3 days so I started breaking the tablet in half to help with the blah feeling. Works great for urinary tract infection."

ynnep1966 January 27, 2015

"Amazing. I was prescribed ciprofloxacin 500mg. I took just one pill and had major relief."

Anonymous January 21, 2015

"I usually get 2-3 urinary tract infections per year. This is my first time using Cipro. I started on it 3 days ago and have had no side effects. The UTI is about 99% gone and I had major relief in the first 24 hours. No problems with discomfort when urinating, just a slight tinge after I go but barely noticeable and my urine is clear without any odor. I was hesitant to use it due to the side effects but am pleased that I have not experienced them."

TreeCat January 16, 2015

"I am reading the comments and I am really surprised at how long and at how high a dosage some people with urinary tract infections are reporting. I went to the doctor this morning because I have a UTI, but I was given 6 Cipro pills, each 250 mg to be taken twice a day. From what I understand, most doctors will try this 3 day fix and not put you on an extended dose. I am reading comments that some people are on for 10 days. I am all for stamping out an infection, but I want to do it with as little medication as possible. So far so good. Who knows, I might need a new prescription but for now I am hoping that this modest approach of a 3 day treatment will do the trick."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

"Symptoms I had before being put on Cipro were the usual - blood in urine, pressure on bladder, need to pee every 10 seconds even after going, stinging. After being on 500 mg twice almost all the symptoms were gone but the side effects were horrible. I had nausea, headache, diarrhea, drowsiness and some chest pain. The size of the pills are relatively huge too. Not supposed to split them but I did anyway cos it got stuck in my throat and made me throw up my dinner once. I put the split pill into a 00 veggie capsule which makes it easy to swallow and I can't taste the bitterness."

lanai00 November 25, 2014

"This medicine is amazing. I have taken this for three different urinary tract infections and it has cured them in only one day, seriously. I give it a rating of 11."

Anonymous November 24, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was initially given amoxicillin for my UTI but after 3 days, I still had a fever, cloudy urine and overall blahs. Went back to Dr. and was given Cipro. Wow...less than 24 hours later, fever is gone and urine is clear. I do have a headache but I don't know if that is from Cipro or from sleeping so much. The list of side effects are a bit scary but so far, no problems."

sanboa (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2014

"I have been getting urinary tract infections since I was a small child and the only antibiotic that has worked for me 100% of the time is Cipro. I have never had any side effects but I am not sensitive to any medicines that I am aware of. I also use AZO Maximum Strength for the pain as an alternative to Pyridium although if I have a prescription, Pyridium is actually cheaper (with insurance) than purchasing AZO."

UghTI October 28, 2014

"I've been suffering from urinary tract infections for most of my adult life. The first Dr that prescribed Cipro for me was a "Saint"! Nothing else works for me like it. I take 500mg twice a day for a week to 10 days. I insist on this medication. I've never had any issues with any side effects... Only amazing relief! I'm now in my late 60's and I still take this when I have a UTI."

MamawPapaw (taken for 10 years or more) September 7, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a male. Have been taken it for only 3 days, so cannot comment on efficacy yet but since starting it have been afflicted with continual attacks of Hiccups (not listed as a side effect) Annoying and very debilitating (To those around me as well!) Seeing Doctor in two days to decide course of action. Will report later."

Driftways (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2014

"On the 7th and last day for taking Cipro I developed a rash with no itching on most of my body . After 2 weeks I still have some rash and also nausea. My doctor said Cipro had nothing to do with either. It did clear up my UTI infection but should I not take Cipro ever again .Thanks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2014

"I've been taking Cipro for three weeks now, had a horrible urinary tract infection that was not caught on time, and it went to my Kidney. To my luck this medication exists and also is my worst nightmare. (I'm used to it now, but the first three days, I couldn't sleep, I had the worst headaches ever, fever, body aches, a little of diarrhea, and lost of appetite) I have two more days to go. At first I thought the headaches were because I stopped drinking coffee, like a LOT!, but stopped my coffee intake when I got super sick. I'm currently on a 1000mg Cipro and wooo.. I can tell you, that as much as the side effects kick you, this medicine sure is working wonders. I drink plenty of water now, I honestly don't ever want to go back to having a urinary tract infection."

The warrior! (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on Cipro to treat a urinary tract infection. I was already on a medication that suppressed my immune system and even though the Cipro did wonders for my UTI, the side effects were unbearable. I was directed to take 1 250mg tabs twice daily for 3 days. I was only able to get through the first 2 days. The side effects were from what was a mild headache the first day to a severe headache the second day accompanied with muscle pain, joint aches, shortness of breath and even chest palpitations on the right side. I went in to see my doc and he said to come off them because even though they worked well for my UTI, my body was clearly unable to tolerate the side effects. Overall I say the medicine is very effective but is also strong so beware side effects."

Jleblo May 1, 2014