User Reviews for Cipro

Learn more about Cipro.

Cipro review summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 307 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cipro to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Review by MamawPapaw (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been suffering from urinary tract infections for most of my adult life. The first Dr that prescribed Cipro for me was a "Saint"! Nothing else works for me like it. I take 500mg twice a day for a week to 10 days. I insist on this medication. I've never had any issues with any side effects... Only amazing relief! I'm now in my late 60's and I still take this when I have a UTI.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Driftways (taken for less than 1 month):

I am a male. Have been taken it for only 3 days, so cannot comment on efficacy yet but since starting it have been afflicted with continual attacks of Hiccups (not listed as a side effect) Annoying and very debilitating (To those around me as well!) Seeing Doctor in two days to decide course of action. Will report later.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

On the 7th and last day for taking Cipro I developed a rash with no itching on most of my body . After 2 weeks I still have some rash and also nausea. My doctor said Cipro had nothing to do with either. It did clear up my UTI infection but should I not take Cipro ever again .Thanks.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Review by The warrior! (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Cipro for three weeks now, had a horrible urinary tract infection that was not caught on time, and it went to my Kidney. To my luck this medication exists and also is my worst nightmare. (I'm used to it now, but the first three days, I couldn't sleep, I had the worst headaches ever, fever, body aches, a little of diarrhea, and lost of appetite) I have two more days to go. At first I thought the headaches were because I stopped drinking coffee, like a LOT!, but stopped my coffee intake when I got super sick. I'm currently on a 1000mg Cipro and wooo.. I can tell you, that as much as the side effects kick you, this medicine sure is working wonders. I drink plenty of water now, I honestly don't ever want to go back to having a urinary tract infection.

May 9, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Jleblo:

I was put on Cipro to treat a urinary tract infection. I was already on a medication that suppressed my immune system and even though the Cipro did wonders for my UTI, the side effects were unbearable. I was directed to take 1 250mg tabs twice daily for 3 days. I was only able to get through the first 2 days. The side effects were from what was a mild headache the first day to a severe headache the second day accompanied with muscle pain, joint aches, shortness of breath and even chest palpitations on the right side. I went in to see my doc and he said to come off them because even though they worked well for my UTI, my body was clearly unable to tolerate the side effects. Overall I say the medicine is very effective but is also strong so beware side effects.

May 1, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by Jilly Girl:

Took it for a urinary tract infection and immediately broke out in hives, fast heart rate and other unpleasant side effects. Had to take Benadryl and then was prescribed something else that worked.

April 25, 2014 10:55 AM

Review by LinaOchoa (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ciprofloxacin is a great antibiotic for a urinary tract infection in 2 days it'll be gone! Pain free.

April 22, 2014 9:15 AM

Review by Miss Lisa June:

Cipro really cured my urinary tract infection, but around my eyes I had hives and face swelling. But the medication out weighed the side effects. I will take Cipro again.

August 19, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by littlebit12356789:

Cirpo gave me severe nerve pain in my neck and head less than 24 hours after starting the medication.

August 14, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by GoGreen02:

Worked wonderfully. Was on Bactrim for a week with no relief, but after my first pill of Cipro I felt 100 times better and was sleeping through the night. On my fourth day of taking and no side effects and feeling awesome.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 9:35 PM

Review by BetterMe (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a urinary tract infection, which unfortunately went up to my kidneys so my MD prescribed Cipro. I already felt better after 2 days of taking it however I was getting terrible headaches that do not go away even if I take over the counter meds. That's the least of my worries though, as long as my infection got treated.

July 6, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by BuckeyeFan23:

I took Cipro a year ago for a urinary tract infection and had very little side effects. I just started taking Cipro again two days ago for another UTI and this time it is making me miserable. I no longer have the symptoms of a UTI but my muscles hurt, I feel tired and I have had some diarrhea.

June 29, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Jewelry Queen (taken for less than 1 month):

I was put on a dose of 1000 mg a day. Took care of the urinary tract infection like a charm but the side effects were not pleasant. I had heartburn and nausea after every dose, and antacids can't be taken for 2 hrs. after. I also had headaches and kept smelling burning plastic.

March 6, 2013 1:03 PM

Review by Anonymousme:

After only two doses I experienced nausea, dizziness, stomach cramps, and muscle and joint pains. I couldn't finish the Cipro I was prescribed.

February 12, 2013 12:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Very effective, cleared up in 3 days. Felt dizzy and disoriented and uncomfortable in my stomach around the sternum. Often nauseous.

December 16, 2012 1:59 AM

Review by Spencebls56 (taken for less than 1 month):

Was effective for my bladder infection but side effects are not good. After 3 days of medication, I developed severe pain in my Achilles tendon, both ankles. It continues to this day, 2 months later. I've also developed severe pain (tendonitis?), in my elbows. Never had this pain before taking Cipro.

November 28, 2012 12:08 PM

Review by cwhittaker (taken for less than 1 month):

Got my urinary tract infection at 10pm and within an hour I knew I was in trouble with the usual stinging and need to go to the bathroom but it happened so fast and before I knew it I was bleeding quite heavily. Immediately went to Emergency and was prescribed Cipro, within an hour I was getting relief. I'm dizzy and have ringing in my ears but very relieved the pain is subsiding, hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.

October 8, 2012 5:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Side effects were unbearable for my girlfriend so she stopped after only 1.5 days. She suffered from headaches, vomiting, achy all over, stomach pains, taste buds (bad taste). It seemed to help with the infection but at the end cycle of the dosage she was feeling much better. In 45 minutes after taking a pill it made her feel so sick again.

September 6, 2012 3:55 PM

I have had bladder and kidney infections all my life, and Cipro has been a lifesaver for over 25 years. I have never experienced any side effects, and feel better within hours/days depending on the severity of my symptoms. I take Cranberry supplements on a regular basis, and it seems to aid in preventing urinary tract infections.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2012 11:44 PM

Worked great for this.

May 15, 2012 11:07 AM

Seem to work well! This is the only one that seem to work. I have recurring urinary tract infections.

March 26, 2012 9:27 PM

I took Cipro for five days and had to stop. I can say that it took the symptoms of the urinary tract infection away and made me feel better that way. On the other hand, it really aggravated some inflammatory conditions that I have had under control for a long period of time.

March 26, 2012 2:11 PM

I had a horrible reaction to ciprofloxacin; extreme chills, nausea, sudden diarrhea, and dizziness.

March 9, 2012 6:00 AM

Relieved fever and other symptoms I had from a urinary tract infection in 24hours (like) made me feel a little funny and short of breath but anything is better having the chills from a fever.

February 8, 2012 8:56 PM

Review by scared of drugs:

I WAS SCARED TO TAKE CIPRO. I REALLY FREAK OUT WHEN I HAVE TO TAKE MEDICATION. But I did with the support of friends and it works great for urinary tract infections with the first dose. I do have heartburn and gas but I'm still taking it and I will add a Zantac and Gas X tomorrow.

January 23, 2012 11:50 PM