User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Invokana Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Invokana to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"The general side effects of dehydration and urination aside, those were not my problem. Fatigue was the issue. I was on 100mg to start and noticed after six weeks a decrease in mental acuity -- missing things I might not otherwise, more forgetful. My dose was increased to 300mg and all I wanted to do was sleep. Went back down to 100mg, but the exhaustion continues. Time to try something else."

SoundA2 September 3, 2015

"Invokana was a disaster for me! First on Invokamet, also bad! Had GI problems with Invokamet. Dr, switched me to Invokana. Worse GI problems. Developed anal fissures from the diarrhea and constipation. Now have yeast infection. Back on Metformin and exercise. Numbers are better!"

Bear Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"This medication works perfectly for me, I am taking 300 mg/day since day 1 because my H1C was 10.8 and after 3 months is 6.3 I lost 30 pounds, eating better, but not a hard diet and exercising 2 times a week. Of course I feel thirst, some issues with yeast infection, but all worth!"

Mari Sherv August 10, 2015

"I found this drug to be quite problematic for me. It caused such severe dehydration after shifting to the 300mg dosage that I could not get through a night's sleep without awakening to excruciatingly painful leg and foot cramps that thoroughly awakened me. I would also awake at night and in the morning, feeling as if someone had poured sand in my eyes. Even my eyes were dehydrated. I attempted to address the dehydration by drinking as much as a gallon and a half of water per day, with a lot of water before bedtime. Constant urination (of course!) No real effect on my glucose readings. Prior to starting Invokana I had started a no sugar/starch diet, and returned to daily exercise which brought my numbers down more than Invokana."

RevNJ August 3, 2015

"I have only been on invokana for 10 days with no side effects yet. I hope that remains the same. I am glad to hear about the weight lose for others. I could stand to loose 25-30 pounds. That would be great for my blood sugar. My last a1c was 8., daily readings Have been 158-178 but before I was over 200. I also take 2000 mg of meformin time release. I plan to start fast walking now. It sounds like all of the above will improve if I am as lucky as most of you guys are. Will report back after a little longer on this med. Best of luck to everyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"Thought this medicine was great at first, but after going to 300mg dose, got yeast infections, terrible itching and burning. Tried all the suggested ideas, probotics, washing more, baby wipes, drinking more water, vasoline, moniststat, but to no avail. Would clear up for a few days and start up again. Just could not stand it any longer. While I could eat slightly more carbs, only lost about 10lbs after 5 months and then it seemed like when I did eat carbs my sugar went up and stayed up until I ate my next meal before going down. A1c only went from 7.9 to 7.8 after three months on the higher dose. Also had terrible dry mouth and frequent urination. Just unsure of this medication."

Pizzalover July 26, 2015

"My side effects are: Weight Gain, Vaginal Yeast Infection, Tired, Itching Skin, Increased Hunger, Dry Mouth, Cloudy Urine, Increased Thirst, Breathing Difficulty, Sweats, 2 months"

LP153 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

"A1c 13 a year ago. Taking 300mg Invokana alongside 2000mg metformin and 50u lantus once daily. A1c made it to 7.0. Very happy now. Lantus alone and lantus plus metformin did not help enough over the last ten years. Thirsty and sometimes tired (water and caffeine counters this). Also taking tiny dose of lisinopril to protect kidneys. No other side effects (never encountered any urinary issues)"

ScottishGrog (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

"Been on invokana 300mg once a day, taken prior to breakfast, for 8 weeks, third box starts today, slight burning around head of penis week 1&2 wash more. Gone. Thirst all day ,most drink a lot upward of 6-8 bottles per day, peeing a lot 9 times a day. Good thing as you most flush kidneys , weight loss, wow. Lost 31 pounds in 8 weeks and yes that without exercise or change in diet , not sure if that's all good but wow A1c. 10.9- 8.0 down to 7.5-6.2 on average. Still tired lot around 2pm afternoon . Age 52"

Dano66 July 18, 2015

"Invokana 300 mg has been a blessing to restoring my health. In February I was on 50 units of insulin (long acting) and it was ineffective at controlling my diabetes. In Feb A1C 11.2 April 9.0 July 7.1. Initially, I was on Long Acting Insulin and the Invokana 300 mg. by April I was just on the Invokana. Please note I had bad reactions (from hives and lumps to gatrointestinal distress) to at least five diabetic medications. Ugh! Thank you for your product. I also have been able to use the drug copayment help offer by the company."

Jan61 July 15, 2015

"I have been on 300mg of Invokana for over 2 years and happy to say no bad side affects. In the first 8 mths I lost approx 35 pounds from 270 to 235 with walking and trying to eat the right foods but not a perfect diet. My A1C dropped from 8.7 to 6.4 the first 6 mths. I think the weight loss and loss of appetite helped to lower the A1C as much as the medication. But, who cares? I think my body is getting immune to it because I seem to be at a level where I'm no longer improving but I am holding at these levels which are much better than where I started. I also take 2000 of metformin a day along with 2000 mg of cinnamon but these along with glipizide wasn't enough. Thanks to the Invokana I'm in a much better healthy condition."

Jersey Joe July 2, 2015

"My brother was prescribed Invokana almost three years and developed a cancerous tumor in his kidney. it was a very complicated surgery because of where the tumor was located and because of that the entire kidney had to be removed. he was taking 300 mg. upon diagnosis the surgeons instructed my brother to stop the medication immediately. my brother never had any kidney problems in his whole life. let this be a warning."

caring sis June 30, 2015

"A1C was 14.9. Normal insulin program got me down to A1C around 12. Using new long acting insulin w Invokana, A1C now 7.1. I split a 300mg pill and take 1/2 per day. Morning glucose 80's. I am still nervous as this is a new drug but it certainly is an amazing medication."

BRD2015 June 19, 2015

"Four days in, I've been feeling REALLY bad around mid-afternoon. Have already lost a few pounds. Frequently very thirsty. Have a hard time concentrating when the mid-afternoon blahs come on. A1c probably can't be judged based on less than a week, but seems to have come from 8.1 to 7.5. Am really hoping I get used to this medication, but it's a bit of a rough ride for me in the initial going. Just a word of warning...your mileage may vary, of course. Used the coupon to get it free, but my copay would be $85 a month otherwise."

Jury's Still Out (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

"Started taking 100 mg daily at night numbers came down in a week...went to see the Doctor in a month he was happy then he prescribed 300 mg daily...soon after taking this dosage I began to experience an itching on my penis and it was driving me crazy, also experienced more frequent urination along with an insatiable thirst. I was about to schedule an appointment with my urologist until I Googled "Side effects of Invokana". The itching wouldn't stop didn't know that there were these side effects from this medication and even though it helped bring down my sugar levels I really don't think its worth the other problems it presents. I too have experienced a weight loss. It is a good medicine but the side effects aren't worth it. Sorry"

Rebo June 17, 2015

"I have been on Invokana for 8 weeks. The 3 rd week was the hardest with a horrible yeast infection. Treated that and it's been better ever since . I have lost 18lbs. I feel great and have more energy. The urge to eat bad foods is gone and my sugar levels are normal. I have stopped taking my Apidra which was 14 units with each meal and 7 units at bedtime. I have cut my long acting Lantus from 32 units to 26 units daily. I think I will be off insulin soon if my blood sugars keep dropping. I have a stomach ulcer and could not tolerate other meds so I had to go on insulin. This drug does not affect my ulcer. I am very happy to be on Invokana."

shannon c June 16, 2015

"My sugar levels were in the 250-300 constantly.. now they are below 130 it's great.. there's risks with this medication being new.. but it's working wonders.. was on metformin 1000mg twice a day and Glipizide twice a day now.. just metformin and Glipzide once a day.. I am very happy. Feel a lot better.. no side effects so far.. was going to get insulin if Invokana didn't lower my sugar levels.. so lucky to have gotten it prescribed to me.."

O.B. June 15, 2015

"I got type 2 diabetes at a very young age and tried all the regular stuff - metformin and victoza but It made me sick and sleepy at work! I had heard about this new pill with invokana and had my doctor prescribing me it and get more information on their care program. I've never felt more better I lost around 55 pounds and feel amazing I highly recommend, besides a few minor side effects I wouldn't change it for the world!!!!"

CarlosV June 13, 2015

"I was taking metformin for 7 years. Doc added januvia as a1c was climbing. It did not work at all. Moved to invokana and had immediate results. Blood levels now normal and lowest in 7 years. Losing weight too. Some thirst issues but not serious. Fast level 110 after meal 140. Only problem: IT IS EXPENSIVE."

type 2 patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

"I am a 39 year old female who has had type two diabeties for for 15 years. My last A1c was 10.5. My doctor put me on Invokana and I havent had a blood sugar reading above 200 since I started the 100mg. I have just increased to 300. I did my research on this drug because I am very suseptable to yeast infections. Do your research. First you MUST drink plenty of water on this medication or you will feel ill. For women take a probiotic I take one and this has kept the yeast away. Also you can try Oil of Oregano to help. I haven't had my A1C checked yet as I have only been on this medication for one month. Ask your doctor for the prescription savings card which will bring your price to ZERO."

Nikki4046 May 6, 2015

"Too much female discomforts. Not sure if I should continue with it if there could be another product just as good with less discomfort. Will be checking with my doctor."

Paco1235 May 6, 2015

"Was having a very difficult time controlling my blood sugar. My A1C reached 9.1 and I was hospitalized for three days, then sent to an endocrinologist. He put me on Victoza 1.8ML once a day and an Invokana 300MG once a day. Within 2 three months I was at 5.9 A1C and average 110 blood sugar. I have lost close to 40 lbs. There have been some side effects, constipation, cramping, and thirst. These have all faded and become less extreme after being on the combo for just over 6 months. I would never change this medication. It truly has changed my life. Had to change insurance this year and it was a battle to get the Invokana approved but they relented. Thank goodness. FYI I have taken, Glipizide, Glimerpride, Metformin, Actos and Insulin."

DanielStarTrek (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2015

"My blood sugar went from 280-300 to around 200, so I didn't get my desired results. Also, I had extreme thirst, constant urination, every 1 1/2 to 2 hours at night and eventually not much urine coming out. Then the constipation set in and made me so miserable that I discontinued the medication after 3 weeks to get some relief. It's been 4 days and everything is back to normal. High readings but no thirst, urination or constipation. It wasn't worth the side effects. Also, my insurance company wouldn't pay for it so it cost $400.00 for a one month supply. Then the doctor's office gave me a card that was suppose to make it only cost $25.00 a month, but I guess I'll never know."

TV Lady April 23, 2015

"My doctor put me on Jardiance and I had an allergic reaction to it. Three weeks later I was put on Invokana. It worked really well for me, but three weeks of taking it I had the same kind of reaction I did with the Jardiance. About a month later my hands and feet began peeling. This happened twice. I also noticed I have lot a lot of hair on my head in about three and a half weeks. Had I known this was a possible side effect, I would not have tried either medication."

Mlbdds1 March 27, 2015

"I have been taking this drug for about a year. I have lost 60 lbs. I made changes in my diet, but I am in no way deprived! I feel great. My fasting blood sugars went from about 150 to...96!!! I highly recommend this drug. I found a coupon online that makes it free with my insurance.Do a google search and talk to your pharmacist to see if you can find one."

Theheckers (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2015