User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Invokana Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Invokana to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"not told of contraindications, effect with other meds, etc. need more consultation to ensure nothing is happening. Right now my lymph nodes are swollen and in reading about invokana this could be a possible side affect?"

IMJ (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"I have type two diabetes. I was diagnosed after treatment for leukemia. My Dr. prescribed Metformin for my first treatment option. After many changes in dosage and five years A1C was never below 7. Finally I was given long acting Metformin and immediately started gaining weight. Called my Doc and expressed my concerns. Was then prescribed Invokana. I lost nine pounds in 3 months with no side effects."

Jaerae February 8, 2016

"I'm a Type 1 diabetic , I been on invokana for almost a year . Going back and forth taking the pill . It does work great keeping my sugars low , I have not seen weight changes and also every time I take the pill no matter how much water I drink I'm constantly getting yeast infections ! So I stop talking it after a few months decided previously to take it again after my doctor told me to go back . So I went back and now I have yet another Y.I. I guess I'm prone to them on this pill. I am done with this pill"

Anonymous January 29, 2016

"I have lost extensive weight and have lots of energy but my hair is falling out and is so brittle is breaking off at the ends. My numbers have gone down but your hair is usually a good indication of your health. If the medication is doing this to my hair what other long terms effects am i going to have that I am unaware of. I am thankful that other people expressed their problem with hair loss also. I was told that I probably use too many chemicals on my hair."

Angrla (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2016

"I took invokana for 9 months after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last December. I also changed my eating habits, no junk ,no fried foods, no soda, no sweets and low carb. I lost 47 pounds not sure how much the invokana helped with that . I did get a wicked yeast infection that never went away . After researching invokana and realizing how bad some of the side effects can be (kidney cancer or kidney failure), I asked Dr to take me off it, he did as long as I'm keeping blood sugar down in normal range . It's been 3 months and so far I'm controlling it with diet and exercise. I test my own blood sugar every day and its in normal range. I'd rather do it this way as long as I can. Invokana wasn't worth the risk, rather try metformin."

Swedish girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

"I've been taking Invokana for 1 year now and really like it. I've lost weight and have had no side effects except that I have to have water with me all the time but that's ok. Now my Cigna insurance says they won't pay for it any more & I have to get farxiga or jardiance and I have read all the horror stories about both of them. If my hair starts falling out or I start aching all over and can't walk, I'm going to sue the insurance company. Why are insurance companies trying to play doctor???"

Herman Minderchuck January 6, 2016

"After 24 years as an insulin dependant diabetic my specialist put me on Invokana and it has CHANGED MY LIFE! My insulin intake (Humalog and Lantis) is less than 50%, My A1C is much better and in 7 months I have lost 30 pounds. My sugar cravings are completely gone, I feel fantastic and I just love this medication! It does not make you feel strange at all and it really WORKS! I have recommended this medication to other friends and they also love it! I am actually shocked to see others commenting negatively on this."

rosie10 January 1, 2016

"I started Invokana three months ago after an A1C of 12. I was nervous but wanted to try it. I luckily didn't have the side effect most have yeast infections. Strange because I'm very prone to them. I did develop a rash, which still comes & goes. Not horrible though- I use a prescription cream, if needed. My A1C after 3 months on Invokana: 6.7! Still high, I know but huge decrease from 12. I also have lost 40 lbs! I take it with Metformin & Glipozide. I also am following low carb diet- most days. But, prior to Invokana, my sugar levels were high w/Metformin & Glipozide & very low carb diet. So, for me it's working. Hoping to get closer to 6 in next 3 months - then under 6 by a year. Plus, so far it's been FREE! Big time plus."

TAT99 December 26, 2015

"Took this med for about 3 months. If I could have given it a lower rating than -0- I would. I had constant yeast infections, peed all the time, excessive thirst, dry skin, and vaginal sores. Heck, I might as well have not taken it, as I had all the symptoms of high blood sugar, and it would have been cheaper! I would not recommend this drug for anyone."

Just Say No! December 24, 2015

"Wonderful Drug! Have been a diabetic for nearly 20 years. Metformin, diet and exercise worked for about 8 years. Later had 500 mg of metformin once in morning and twice in evening. Later added 60 mg of Gliclazide. I had too too many sugar lows. Now I lost 13 lbs and my numbers came down from 8.1 to 6.8. I have fewer yeast infections. The only drawback is frequency of bathroom visits which is improving. I love this drug!"

Prairielily December 17, 2015

"My dr just put me on this medicine today. I haven't started taking it yet. After reading all of the comments, I'm kinda afraid to take it. The way she explained it to me, was you HAVE to diet and exercise with it or you will have problems. She gave me a pill for yeast infections and told me that I would be peeing a lot and would need to drink plenty of water to flush out sugar. She said it's basically like peeing sugar which in turn causes the yeast to grow. I think some of you that are having serious issues with yeast, might be trying to eat whatever you want and expecting the pill to take care of it. She said stop eating junk food and let the pill get rid of all of the excess sugar and you won't have to deal with yeast."

Sudar 67 December 15, 2015

"I took invokana for almost a year...kept a yeast infection and I now have bald spots in my hair. Yes I lost weight, but the side effects were too much for me... got off the medicine and gained all the weight back. I will stick to metfomin."

Yikes..... December 11, 2015

"Horrible yeast infection."

jujugirl December 7, 2015

"I went on this drug on the advice of my physician. It was horrible, I lost 8lbs but my a1c went up from 6.9 to over an 8. My cholesterol went from good to bad and I was always thirsty, which means I stayed looking for bathrooms. My endurance and circulation got worse too.As soon as I was taken off my numbers got better. The weight came back but my overall numbers got better. Now I'm off with better numbers but I'm still trying to get my endurance and circulation better. I still get winded easy but I'm working on that. I suggest to stay away from this medication. I changed physicians and the New one said he doesn't lie what he's seen and that he feels that this medication set me back."

Sean M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 4, 2015

"This drug is making me pee constantly; its really intolerable. I checked my urine...indeed now positive for sugar. But this is the symptom most diabetics seek treatment for!"

Peter25 December 3, 2015

"Went on Invokana after going and doing the Boston Heart Study. Took it for about 4 months, kept a yeast infection all the time. It does make you feel better and the urge to eat bad foods was gone and my A1C dropped to normal range. I did not lose any weight like everyone else on this drug. Also I got terrible inflamed bumps under my arms which was like a knot and would come to head and pop, but the bumps never went away and this was very uncomfortable. After 4 months between the bumps and the yeast infections, went back to Metformin."

Lisa in Arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

"Taking Invokana has been a terrible experience for me..Caused a lot of thirst so I drank so much water that my sodium level dropped to dangerous level..I was hospitalized for 5 days until my normal sodium levels could be restored. I also had burning pain my mouth. The skin in my mouth became red and soar.I couldn't eat without pain for days."

joesy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2015

"I've been diagnosed with type 2 for about 17 years. Started out with diet and exercise then pills then insulin once a day then twice a day now four times a day. Started 100mg invokana about two months ago .. Yes more urination, no yeast infections, cut my insulin in half, numbers are much better but recent blood test has shown tryglicerides have almost tripled. Still on 100 mg but will probably have to come off .. Which really sucks"

Mike4SSM (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2015

"The worst medication out there. Got a bad yeast infection. My kidney was falling. I hope they remove it from the market. Diabetic people really cannot afford kidney failing."

Danie Mascary November 17, 2015

"I'm pre-diabetic and was prescribed this medicine 2.5 months ago. I started at 100 mg for a week, then went to 300 mg. I had no idea I could lose weight so quickly. I am down about 25 lbs without changing my eating habits. I drink tons more because you are always thirsty, which means you urinate more often. Yeast infections and some hair loss seem to be the negatives but will stay on it as long as the benefits out weigh the negatives."

Sue be November 16, 2015

"worst yeast infection ever! Running to the bathroom all the time, didn't make it a few times, glad that happened at home."

Kooniej October 27, 2015

"I just got diagnosed with type 2. My doctor prescribed Invokana and metformin from the beginning. My sugars went down to normal by the second week. I am losing so much weight. No side effects yet. Miracle medicine for me"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

"Been on it about 5 weeks. 300mg. No yeast infections. Yes peeing more, but for me it is a more normal amount. Before I had to force myself to drink, rarely felt real thirst, and always felt I retained water especially from eating carbs. Now I drink more and pee more, but manageable. Once at night only. The best thing I noticed is more energy and slow but sure weight loss on a more normal amount of food. Lost 8lbs so far and waking up in the morning is easier. More energy means more exercise too. So far, so good. Love it, feel more normal like I did when I was younger"

Carole1959 October 21, 2015

"I've been trying to keep on this medication, but I don't think I can. Dr prescribed 100mg for 1 week, then 300mg. Within 2 weeks I had my very first ever (I'm 58) yeast infection. My privates were inflamed and very painful. Took OTC yeast meds. I called the Dr office and he reduced it back down to 100 mg. Now about 10 days later, I have fissures in my vulva. Dr assistant insists that I don't use toilet paper to wipe after urination, but those new wipes that have been out for a few years. I tried but most of them but even the baby wipes are very heavily perfumed. So I bought unscented, sensitive skin baby wipes. They are better, but my skin is still too sensitive for them. Lots of other side effects. I'm not doing well on this med."

Linda Laura October 13, 2015

"I've been on this for a week, on 100mg dose, but this stuff is tearing me up. I am urinating frequently and every time it's an emergency run to the bathroom. I have to walk out of meetings at work. I used to have a bladder of steel. I wake up 3 times per night to pee. My thirst is almost unbearable. After 1 week, both my wife and I have yeast infections. My penis is burning. Now, I also have diarrhea. I am a mess."

Les Doodis October 12, 2015