User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Invokana review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 115 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Invokana to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by sue1962 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this medicine for a little over 2 months, no bad side effect to report, unless you call loss of appetite and a loss of 20lbs bad. Blood pressure has lowered from 160/89 to 118/76.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 8:53 AM

Review by ptf:

Its been a life saver for me. I have lost 61 pds since I started using Invokana. I love it. I just wish it was more affordable. I am almost at my goal weight. I look and feel great.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 6:09 PM

Review by Bear54:

Been on Invokana for about two months, and while it lowered my insulin use (I'm on a pump and was using about 250 units a day) it's had some unpleasant side effects too. There is some pain in the penis during sex, and after the act the penis has turned bright red and sore on some occasions. It usually goes away in a day or two, but I'm thinking about going off of it. I've also had stomach upset, lightheaded and dizzyness (especially on getting up).

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 5:32 PM

Review by lasadri20gmail.com (taken for less than 1 month):

Unfortunately, this did not work for me, I didnt see my sugar levels go down and it also caused mega itch for me as well, so I stopped using within the first week or two. Dr. tried me on Glimepiride now, but I havent seen much change also yet, and I possibly have gained from it. Not sure what to try next, he suggested Januvia or Byetta, which are supposed to be expensive. Not sure what I can do if anything. Insulin does not help with weight loss and I do not want to gain .

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 11:54 AM

Review by Sugarlips2.:

Lost ten pounds in 2 months. Insulin cut in half. Numbers great. Tip: use baby wipes every time you go to the bathroom. No more itching.

January 4, 2015 4:08 AM

Review by Jaythesnake:

I have been taking this medication for about two weeks now and notice that the my levels in the morning have drop from 170 to 118. But the side effect now is itching on the penis area. Will consult with the MD to stop taking it if the itching continue.

December 16, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Whimpurr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It has worked well and I have lost some weight BUT I have been experiencing smelling nail polish remover (acetone) which even sent me scared of DKA to the ER! Still happening and no explanation. About to stop taking it because this scares me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by meetmygoal (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started this medicine last week, I have not seen weight loss yet, or much change in my numbers. BUT last week I did not exercise as much and did not eat strict to my diet, so hopefully this 2nd week I will start to see changes. I really am hoping it helps with weight loss for me too!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by Ava D (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking this medication for almost 2 months now and had to stop. It does help lower my blood sugar, I continued taking Metformin with it. However it also causes the worst feelings of genital irritation. I ended up taking Fluconazole twice, which helped but is not a permanent fix. Each time I tried to avoid having to take the antifungal so was desperate by the time I got it. This Invokana med caused my urine to burn me, and made me extremely uncomfortable. I stopped it and called my doc for something else. Gonna try Victoza now. By the way if you do want to try it, ask for the coupon, it gives the first 90 days free.

December 4, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by skelley88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been taking Invokana for 11 months. Started on 100mg for three weeks then increased to 300 mg daily. My Hgb A1C has gone from 9.6 to 7.1 and my weight has decreased 70 pounds. I've decreased my insulin Humulog 75/25 by 80% and decreased my Metformin by 25%. Still tapering these. I've gone down three clothing sizes, even my shoes are too big! I have had one yeast infection and do use the bathroom more often, but it is worth it!

November 19, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by Kentuckynurse:

Started Invokana 100 mg about a month ago. Only side effect is some yeast infection, but not bad. I had been on 100 units of Levemir and 100 units Novolog with blood sugars still in the 200-400 range at times and fasting blood sugars never below 200 range. Now, my fasting blood sugars are 120-140 range and my insulin has been decreased to 50 units of Levemir and 30 units of Novolog. So, doctor has increased the Invokana to 300 mg..Hoping to be off Insulin soon. Oh, and I have lost 6 pounds in the process. The key to this medication is to DRINK plenty of water to stay hydrated, have your kidney functions checked at least twice a year and monitor for any side effects.

November 19, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by Dispersion (taken for less than 1 month):

Type II diabetic since 2003. Been on Metformin, Avandia, glyburide, Lantus, and Novalog either as monotherapy or in combinations. Been on pump since 2007 and got through 2 pregnancies with pump. Endocrinologist recommended this so I can reduce my insulin uptake and hopefully, get off the pump (weight gain and complacent with diet on pump). So far I've only been on Invokana 4 days. Lost 8 pounds, reduced appetite, more water intake. Noticed you need to watch carbs or sugar will spike. I'm still on Metformin 2000mg/day and pump but barely any insulin. Will stay on this for a while to see if I can get off the pump (my goal) and lose more weight.

November 17, 2014 9:39 PM

Review by Cubsfan90 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Invokana since September 2013, so a little over a year. I have experienced hair loss, tiredness, and yeast infections. I talked to my doctor about the hair loss, which I experienced for over a year. He has upped my Metformin to the maximum dosage. My hair has stopped falling out. I am also using Rosemary essential oil to help with hair loss, and probiotics for the yeast infection. I have had amazing results with this medication in regards to blood sugar control. My A1C went from 12.3 to 7.1 I have never had such control. As a benefit I have lost over the course of a year 34 pounds. I feel that the benefits outweigh the side effects

November 10, 2014 10:18 AM

Review by Humvee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I reviewed this site because I have been on Invokana for a month- and I've noticed significant hair loss. I see that at least one other person has mentioned that.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by ilys:

Been an out of control sugar mess. Invocana took me down 15 lbs and my A1c over three months is 7.8 down from 10.5.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had reactions to three previous medications.I was hopeful with this one because it works differently. Started on 100 mg. By day 7 I was starting to feel very fatigued 2 hours after taking the pill. Noticed decrease in urination and blurred vision. Symptoms worsened the next couple of days. Lasted 10 days. Guess I go back to my almost carb free diet.

October 19, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Gerald Joseph:

Great Medicine. I have been taking almost two weeks and it's working so well.

September 22, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by t00ts:

Started Invokana(300x1) and Janumet(1000x2) 1 week, my A1C was a 15.2. I am not overweight 5"6 123Lbs, but I have a Hypothyroid issue. I am not sure which one or even both are causing the side effects but any help with regards to the nausea and stomach pain would be greatly appreciated. My numbers are better, I was in the high 400's and now in the last week I haven't gone over 149.

September 14, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Hair falling out!!!!!!:

I was prescribed Invokana for high glucose (Prediabetes), not diabetic yet. I have been on the medicine a little over a month. I developed a yeast infection and my hair is shedding a lot--handfuls at a time. Dermatologist said it would shed for up to 10 more weeks. What a horrible side effect that is not mentioned anywhere! I stopped taking the medicine.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Arabic male:

I've been taking Invokana for 6 months, in addition to Metformin and Januvia. It did help me a little losing weight, but it definitely did help my daily blood sugar levels from 250 to 125 or less in the morning. I think it is really good and I'm glad my doctor prescribed it to me.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 9:49 PM

Review by GCD - Pipefitter (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Diagnosed type 2 diabetes in 1996, been prescribed the usual medications with not much success. 5 months ago my doctor (of 32 yrs) prescribed Invokana 100 mg. Mind you I have always eaten very well and choose my food wisely. However since starting Invokana I have lost 46 pounds in 4 months and went from a 44 waist to a 36 and I'm still losing weight. My A1C went from 11.3 to 8.0 in first three months, my doctor challenged me and wants to see a 7.0 for my 6 month checkup. I believe I will hit this goal and be below 200 lbs for the first time in decades. Invokana works and for two other construction workers I work with - who also lost a lot of weight as well. The only down side I deal with is going to the bathroom twice as much as before.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Lola Laura (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love this medication. Have lost 40 lbs and my blood sugar greatly improved. Fought the yeast infection by taking a low dose over the counter vaginal yeast suppository 2x per week that was prescribed by my doctor. Only bad thing is that I do have hair loss that I think is from this medication. Hoping it is temporary.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by ArtDeco (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Just finishing up the first month on 100 mg and upping the dose to 300 mg to bring the numbers down a little more. No side effects that I've noticed so far, but the glucose number have come down from the low 200's to the 130-160 range. I have been experimenting with the carb intake to see how the medicine handles different carb loads, but now I'm going to go back to low carb and see if I can really get the numbers down to normal. I was taking 40 units of Lantus daily, so just by getting me off of that, the Invokana is worth the high price of admission.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Sugarbabies:

Taking Invokana for 3 months now. My glucose readings are great. Have to stop taking this miracle medicine though, because I've had a relentless feminine itch since I started it. I've been suffering through it because it works so well and I can't take Metformin or Onglyza. Decided I can't take the itching anymore, AND MY HAIR IS STARTING TO FALL OUT. When I comb my hair I get a huge handful every time. I've never lost more than a few hairs at a time before. I sure hope this doesn't continue. Don't have much more to spare! I'm also starting to hurt in the kidney area. Going back to see my doctor.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Ginblossom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Been on Invokana since Aug 2013, by October worked my way up to 300mg. In the beginning I dropped 35 lbs, and my numbers are as they were on insulin and Lantus. I feel great. I fight the yeast with a 300 million probiotic called Ultra Flora. I also use an Aquaphor barrier applied daily after I shower to prevent outside vaginal yeast. This has worked great, since I too had the problem with yeast. Sorry to be graphic, but if this helps anyone get to stay on the medicine, I am happy to share. I too am having hair loss issues, but I recently cut my hormone replacement therapy in half and with the rapid weight loss, I am hope things will level out soon. Give the probiotic a good month to work, but stick with it, it is worth it!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 2:52 PM