User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Invokana review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 114 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Invokana to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by Humvee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I reviewed this site because I have been on Invokana for a month- and I've noticed significant hair loss. I see that at least one other person has mentioned that.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by ilys:

Been an out of control sugar mess. Invocana took me down 15 lbs and my A1c over three months is 7.8 down from 10.5.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had reactions to three previous medications.I was hopeful with this one because it works differently. Started on 100 mg. By day 7 I was starting to feel very fatigued 2 hours after taking the pill. Noticed decrease in urination and blurred vision. Symptoms worsened the next couple of days. Lasted 10 days. Guess I go back to my almost carb free diet.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Gerald Joseph:

Great Medicine. I have been taking almost two weeks and it's working so well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by t00ts:

Started Invokana(300x1) and Janumet(1000x2) 1 week, my A1C was a 15.2. I am not overweight 5"6 123Lbs, but I have a Hypothyroid issue. I am not sure which one or even both are causing the side effects but any help with regards to the nausea and stomach pain would be greatly appreciated. My numbers are better, I was in the high 400's and now in the last week I haven't gone over 149.

September 14, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by Hair falling out!!!!!!:

I was prescribed Invokana for high glucose (Prediabetes), not diabetic yet. I have been on the medicine a little over a month. I developed a yeast infection and my hair is shedding a lot--handfuls at a time. Dermatologist said it would shed for up to 10 more weeks. What a horrible side effect that is not mentioned anywhere! I stopped taking the medicine.

September 8, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Arabic male:

I've been taking Invokana for 6 months, in addition to Metformin and Januvia. It did help me a little losing weight, but it definitely did help my daily blood sugar levels from 250 to 125 or less in the morning. I think it is really good and I'm glad my doctor prescribed it to me.

August 17, 2014 9:49 PM

Review by GCD - Pipefitter (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Diagnosed type 2 diabetes in 1996, been prescribed the usual medications with not much success. 5 months ago my doctor (of 32 yrs) prescribed Invokana 100 mg. Mind you I have always eaten very well and choose my food wisely. However since starting Invokana I have lost 46 pounds in 4 months and went from a 44 waist to a 36 and I'm still losing weight. My A1C went from 11.3 to 8.0 in first three months, my doctor challenged me and wants to see a 7.0 for my 6 month checkup. I believe I will hit this goal and be below 200 lbs for the first time in decades. Invokana works and for two other construction workers I work with - who also lost a lot of weight as well. The only down side I deal with is going to the bathroom twice as much as before.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Lola Laura (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love this medication. Have lost 40 lbs and my blood sugar greatly improved. Fought the yeast infection by taking a low dose over the counter vaginal yeast suppository 2x per week that was prescribed by my doctor. Only bad thing is that I do have hair loss that I think is from this medication. Hoping it is temporary.

June 12, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by ArtDeco (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Just finishing up the first month on 100 mg and upping the dose to 300 mg to bring the numbers down a little more. No side effects that I've noticed so far, but the glucose number have come down from the low 200's to the 130-160 range. I have been experimenting with the carb intake to see how the medicine handles different carb loads, but now I'm going to go back to low carb and see if I can really get the numbers down to normal. I was taking 40 units of Lantus daily, so just by getting me off of that, the Invokana is worth the high price of admission.

May 19, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by Sugarbabies:

Taking Invokana for 3 months now. My glucose readings are great. Have to stop taking this miracle medicine though, because I've had a relentless feminine itch since I started it. I've been suffering through it because it works so well and I can't take Metformin or Onglyza. Decided I can't take the itching anymore, AND MY HAIR IS STARTING TO FALL OUT. When I comb my hair I get a huge handful every time. I've never lost more than a few hairs at a time before. I sure hope this doesn't continue. Don't have much more to spare! I'm also starting to hurt in the kidney area. Going back to see my doctor.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Ginblossom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Been on Invokana since Aug 2013, by October worked my way up to 300mg. In the beginning I dropped 35 lbs, and my numbers are as they were on insulin and Lantus. I feel great. I fight the yeast with a 300 million probiotic called Ultra Flora. I also use an Aquaphor barrier applied daily after I shower to prevent outside vaginal yeast. This has worked great, since I too had the problem with yeast. Sorry to be graphic, but if this helps anyone get to stay on the medicine, I am happy to share. I too am having hair loss issues, but I recently cut my hormone replacement therapy in half and with the rapid weight loss, I am hope things will level out soon. Give the probiotic a good month to work, but stick with it, it is worth it!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 2:52 PM

Review by Sue vieau (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This Medication is Awseome! I have lost 25 pounds in 4 months. My A1C went from 10.6 to 7.3. Love this medicine, feel GREAT, belly fat gone, down 2 sizes, only thing is the cost. Like giving you a Cadillac and taking the tires away. $348.00 for 30 pills! Awful insurance won't pay. Off most other medicines, have had MANY that do not work, over 13 yrs, this one works! Off Amaryl 4 mg twice a day, my Lantus went from 42 down to 22, my Novolog from 30 to 5 units a day, Just so frustrating that Insuranse Company does not see the savings on the other meds, and the true results. Have been on metformin, Actos, Januvia, Byetta, Avandia , Amaryl worked for 6 yrs plus, have been on Novolog -N, , Levimir, 70/30, none of these medicines worked.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2014 12:50 AM

Review by Marc D:

4 months = normal blood sugars. A miracle. Dry ears and lips is only side effect plus drinking tons of water that I love anyway.

April 11, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Nals102:

Went on Invokana last year. Never lost weight but my readings were phenomenal. HbA1c went from 7.3 to 6.2. I have to go off of it now because it has caused an extreme yeast infection I've had since last November.

March 25, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Ashley9117 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been a type one diabetic for 28 years now and I'm 33 years old, I have been on a pump for 11 years now with sugars either low 30's or over 600... Never perfect, my endo even prefers my sugars in the 200's, since I'm so used to it, but here lately I'm over the sick feeling, being tired and sugars being sky high, my new primary physician I stated going to 3 weeks ago mentioned this pill, so last Monday he gave me a week sample and a prescription, Sunday night my sugar was 571,Monday morning before my doctors appointment it was 221, took this pill when I got out of doctor office and my sugar has been below 100 ever since, I have energy and feel great all in three days, I'm going to have to adjust my pump songs for lower doses, I love it

March 19, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by palm harbor (taken for less than 1 month):

Was diagnosed in 1998 with type II diabetes, went from one medicine to another until none of them worked. Told by my Endocrinoligist that I must now start insulin 4 X a day....worked for a few months then after about 10 months it did not lower blood sugar. Started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and the results have been super. ONLY inject long lasting insulin at night only. Blood sugar numbers are now normal or just above normal. LOVE THIS MEDICATION!

February 12, 2014 5:07 PM

Review by Football Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on Invokana since August 20, 2013. I've lost 36 pounds since then & been able to discontinue taking my glimepiride (within 3 days of starting the Invokana), cut my metformin in half to 1000mg in the morning only, & have begun cutting the insulin from 30 units at bedtime to 20 or less. I still take Victoza in the morning. My A1c has gone from 10.2 to 7.6 and my triglycerides are near the top of the normal range. I have tried Bydureon & Byetta, but Invokana has been the first real successful medicine to help get my diabetes under control. Along with healthy eating choices & exercise, I am under 300lbs for the first time in too many years to count. If I can do this, so can you!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by UT Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking 300mg for 4 months. I've lost 4 pounds, but most importantly, my AC1 is 5.8. That's the best it's ever been in 7 years. Recently, I've noticed my sugar levels drop to 66, so I may need to stop taking this medication. I weigh 159 pounds and I'm 42 years old. I take a weekly injection of Bydureon and I think that is enough for me. I'm always at 90-110 fasting. For me, its difficult to exercise, because my sugar levels drop dramatically. If I diet, my sugar levels drop a lot as well, so I'm having a hard time losing weight when I have all these problems.

January 21, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Friggint (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been on Invokana for 3-4 months. Lower blood sugar numbers, I've lowered my Lantus as a result and have lost 10 lbs. The weight lost is not instant, so to those who have been on it for a week and haven't lost weight, give it another week or so and the weight will start to come off. Do not have the dry mouth issue, do have the yeast infection issue, but have had that for a while now. Great medicine.

December 9, 2013 8:48 AM

Review by Snydgirl:

I, too, have had great results with this medication. It's almost too good to be true. Some weight loss, my readings dropped significantly. I now wonder if it is helping my psoriasis. As after many, many years, it has disappeared from my right leg altogether.

December 1, 2013 7:15 PM

Review by Danlsyo (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Invokana in combination with metformin. I have been itching ever since and my hair is falling out to the point where I am scared to comb my hair. I stopped taking both medications. It has been a little over a month and my hair is still falling out. Is anyone else experiencing any hair loss?

November 10, 2013 11:39 PM

Review by bratysteffers:

I have been taking this medication for almost 2 weeks. I was lucky to be reffered to an endodcrinologist who prescribed it to go with Metformin, glipizide and tradjenta meds. It's working wonders!! My readings have gone from 300's to 115 after lunch etc. I was also referred to a dietician so I've been keeping track of my meals and watching my carbs I've lost 7 lbs since I started the meds 2 weeks ago! Love, love, love this med. Can't wait to see if my A1C had dropped, at last check before I started the meds it was at 9.8%.

November 6, 2013 2:36 PM

Review by SD Mario (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only been on this new medicine for two weeks, but have already noticed a significant drop in my daily readings. When I found out my co-pay for this medicine I was ready to drop it. Now I will use up my first free month of medication and if the effectiveness continues I will spring for the co-pay. So far no noticeable side effects.

October 3, 2013 8:17 AM

Review by 4sue (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1990 from pregnancy. I've been on the pills, insulin, insulin pump. Before getting on this medication I was on 100 units of Lantus and 60 of Humalog. A1C has been as high as 9.6. On my last appointment before getting on this medication my A1c was 8.6. In 3 -4 months I've lost 20 pounds, more energy, fasting between 90-130. I'm only on Lantus 52 units now. The best thing is my A1C went down to 7.6 which had not been that low for 9 years. Double my water intake. Yeast infection a couple of times but none since. This has been a life saver for me.

October 2, 2013 8:23 AM