User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1061 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Review by AIlana:

Zithromax (azithromycin): Excellent medicine....don't hesitate.

January 15, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by f in chest cold. (taken for less than 1 month):

Called Dr. Because my inner ear was hurting. She sent script to pharmacy for pick up. My ear stopped hurting but then a week later I had a chest cold. Took Z-pack, after day two I am able to function and mucus is coming up out of chest. Feeling 90% now. Was feeling at 40%.

October 8, 2013 11:15 AM

Review by shs923 (taken for less than 1 month):

I came back from the U.K. with a terrible chest cold. I spent the first week drinking tons of water and hot tea and lounging on the couch with a heating pad on my chest. I finally went to the doctor who took a chest x-ray to make sure there was no pneumonia or bronchitis. He prescribed Tussionex cough medicine which worked great on the cough and helped me sleep like a baby. After two days the cold worked its way up into my throat and ear canals and I lost my voice. Called the doctor back who prescribed azithromycin. After 1 day I was feeling much better, but still not quite myself. After 2 days I was able to function almost normally. I've taken the 3rd dose today and am hopeful that I will be even better today.

August 10, 2013 9:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): It is so effective anyone can try it

March 8, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by Chuck 597 (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): I am on day 2 of the 5 day dose pack. Relief from upper respiratory symptoms has been rapid and effective. 48 hrs ago I was having severe coughing fits, sneezing, painful sinus pressure, lethargy, blocked nasal passages, unable to lie down without inducing severe bouts of coughing. 36 hrs ago I took the loading dose, and 12 hrs ago the day 2 dose. My cough is all but gone, I am able to breathe normally, my voice is back nearly to normal, the sinus pressure is gone, and I have stopped taking the decongestant I was using. This afternoon I went out shopping. I have noticed no side effects, others than a mild nausea after the day 1 dose, which may or may not have been from the medicine. This is my second highly positive experience with this medicine.

December 30, 2012 3:37 AM

Review by DC Guy:

I was prescribed a 250mg Z-Pak for bronchitis/upper respiratory infection (which I'm sure was viral, but whatever). I experienced horrible diarrhea starting on day 2. After 4 pills, I gave up and called my doc, who told me to discontinue use. Guess I'll add this to my list of allergies.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2012 2:06 PM

Review by Dr figo (taken for less than 1 month):

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Azithromycin is the best for sinusitis and for a long term therapy as it is safe and no diarrhea and vomiting related problems as I feel.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 3:58 AM

Zithromax (azithromycin): One day and I already feel better after being laid up for 5 days regret not calling my doctor sooner!

November 21, 2012 12:47 AM

Review by Citygrrl (taken for less than 1 month):

A visit to the doctor resulted in a chest X-ray and blood test which confirmed an inflammation of the lungs and bacterial infection. I was given a 3-day dosage of Azithromycin for the inflammation and warned it can cause diarrhea. I was also prescribed an inhaler as a lung test showed 25% restriction. First day no side effects except for heavy drowsiness. Second day could already feel the symptoms reducing. Second day, 20 minutes after taking the meds, I got strong stomach pains (felt in the colon area not stomach) followed by heavy drowsiness. Third day I made sure to eat before the pill, which minimized the stomach pain but I got one bout of diarrhea in the evening. Day 5' symptoms have improved although I still have a runny nose and cough.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2012 4:21 AM

Zithromax (azithromycin): Very nice

April 23, 2012 1:19 PM

Zithromax (azithromycin): Works great for strep infection.

September 20, 2011 3:20 PM

Zithromax (azithromycin): I have been using Zithromax for the past 6 years to fight off my upper respiratory tract infections. I have tried almost everything else in the military medical inventory to win against the URI's I get yearly (every Sept/Oct Time frame) but Zithromax wins hands down every time. Does not matter during which stage of the URI you begin to take the medicine. The first or second night you will start to fight the infection hardcore and you might notice a fever develop as your body fights against the bacteria. After that its smooth sailing so you feel better by the 3rd day and completely cured by the 5th day. It is definitely a wonder drug and worth the extra money.

September 8, 2011 10:50 PM

Review by Cwolfe2:

Zithromax (azithromycin): Zithromax was given to my daughter for upper respiratory symptoms 3 days before her flight to Fla to visit grandparents. Within the day noticed a great difference. No side effects and she has a heart condition. My lovely daughter passed her buggies on to me been fighting it for a week. Went to doctor today, gave me the same thing.... Fingers crossed.

April 7, 2011 11:00 AM

I went to the ER because I thought I had bronchitis. Turns out it was a Upper Respiratory Infection. I was given the Z-pak 500mg and was told to take the 2 pills as a first dose which was around 8:00pm. The next morning, I felt a lot better than the previous day and continued the regiment. But on the 3rd day I was nauseous and had this HORRIBLE metallic taste in my mouth. Now it's the 4th day and I can't stand this taste. However, the nasty coughing and the phlegm is pretty much gone.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2011 7:04 PM

Zithromax (azithromycin): Terrible diarrhea. Very bad stomach pains.

November 17, 2010 9:20 PM

Review by Texas Jim:

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): I was prescribed 250mg, 5 day dose pack of Azithromycin for upper respiratory infection. Dosing: 2 tabs 1st day, then 1 per day for 3 days. Took 2 tabs 1st day no problem.. 2nd day, 1 tab in morning before driving to family reunion. Almost immediate intermittent left upper chest painb. No other symptoms of heart attack. Chewed 2 aspirin after lunch - only slight relief. Returned home in evening and found Cardiac symptoms listed on dose pack descriptions. Discontinued taking Azithromycin and had no recurrence of chest pains 3rd day to date. Ten days later I had electrocardiogram down and results were normal.

July 13, 2010 6:42 PM

Review by Wolfman627:

Zithromax (azithromycin): This medicine is the best. I have been using this medicine about once every year for upper respiratory tract infections. It really starts to work by day 2 and continues to work after about a week. As with any medicine the side effects with me is going to the restroom more than usual.

May 2, 2010 12:43 PM

It is a very effective medicine if taken with full precautions and complete dosage as prescribed by the doctor. I am feeling well within 24 hrs but will continue the dosage for 2 more days to complete the cycle.

November 6, 2009 5:02 AM

Review by RickRick:

Zithromax (azithromycin): I've used the Zithromax Z-Pack several times over the years and have found it to be the ONLY pharmaceutical that actual works QUICKLY and the problem doesn't return upon finishing up the prescription. I'm prone to a once a year, or once every two year throat infection. Extremely sore, dry yet phlegmy throat without any other signs of a cold. No cough, runny nose, sneezing nor fever. By the second day of taking this pack, my symptoms have already begun to subside. A very effective drug, indeed.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2009 3:43 PM