User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 975 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I haven't taken an antibiotic for several years because I haven't had a bacterial infection. Over a month ago I came down with a virus but in retrospect it soon evolved into a secondary sinus infection. I respect the avoidance of antibiotics unless symptoms clearly point to bacterial infections, and I was not running a fever, and what my sinus produced did not look foul enough. However, when this didn't abate after close to 5 weeks, even my internist agreed it might be a rare low-grade bacterial infection and gave the green light to try an antibiotic. I started it the day before yesterday and by last night it was the first time in 4 1/2 weeks I got relief from the non-stop post-nasal glob driving me crazy. It couldn't have been more dramatic."

tiggerflute (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I have just taken Day 5 dose for a worse than usual respiratory infection. Being asthmatic I need to get a jump on these things and Z Pack works well and the one pill a day makes it convenient. Abdominal cramps and diahrea are a side effect I get with all antibiotics, and I have found eating yogurt helps. The antibiotic will kill the good bacteria in your colon as well as the bad infection and it has to bereplaced."

Broncky Al (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2015

"I am on day 4 of the 5 day treatment and I the only thing that is happening is that I'm getting more sick by the day. I went back to the Dr. on day 3 and said that it was getting worse (can barely swallow my own saliva) and he said that it takes the full 5 days, maybe even 6, to work. This is definitely NOT the antibiotic for me. Just wanted to share in case someone else is getting this run-around. I have to get some different antibiotics because apparently I am 100% immune to this kind."

JennPage88 May 22, 2015

"I just finished my Azithromycin tablets. . Feeling 100% better. . No side effects...."

Harmony711 March 28, 2015

"Woke up the other morning in tears not able to breathe. I did two breathing treatments and still very little relief. Went to ER and was prescribed this and I kid you not by the next morning after taking the 6, I felt 100% better. I am choking on a lot of mucus but I guess that's because it's being broken up now. This is the greatest medication I have taken in a while. It truly worked wonders. My hands are very itchy but I don't even care! I can breathe!!"

Nikkicupcake09 January 8, 2015

"Several bouts of Bronchitis and Walking Pneumonia over the years. I was born premature and had lung issues as an infant. I do not smoke. I am healthy. The Z-Pack (250 mg) works almost immediately for me. The first day I take two, then one/day for the next four days. I am on Day 2 and already am feeling better!"

Speedy G December 14, 2014

"Had bad upper respiratory infection, coughing and pain, and was prescribed the 250 pack. By day two, I was 90 percent better and no side effects. Definitely a great medicine for upper respiratory infection!"

srob (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Excellent medicine....don't hesitate."

AIlana January 15, 2014

"Called Dr. Because my inner ear was hurting. She sent script to pharmacy for pick up. My ear stopped hurting but then a week later I had a chest cold. Took Z-pack, after day two I am able to function and mucus is coming up out of chest. Feeling 90% now. Was feeling at 40%."

f in chest cold. (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2013

"I came back from the U.K. with a terrible chest cold. I spent the first week drinking tons of water and hot tea and lounging on the couch with a heating pad on my chest. I finally went to the doctor who took a chest x-ray to make sure there was no pneumonia or bronchitis. He prescribed Tussionex cough medicine which worked great on the cough and helped me sleep like a baby. After two days the cold worked its way up into my throat and ear canals and I lost my voice. Called the doctor back who prescribed azithromycin. After 1 day I was feeling much better, but still not quite myself. After 2 days I was able to function almost normally. I've taken the 3rd dose today and am hopeful that I will be even better today."

shs923 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2013

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It is so effective anyone can try it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2013

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I am on day 2 of the 5 day dose pack. Relief from upper respiratory symptoms has been rapid and effective. 48 hrs ago I was having severe coughing fits, sneezing, painful sinus pressure, lethargy, blocked nasal passages, unable to lie down without inducing severe bouts of coughing. 36 hrs ago I took the loading dose, and 12 hrs ago the day 2 dose. My cough is all but gone, I am able to breathe normally, my voice is back nearly to normal, the sinus pressure is gone, and I have stopped taking the decongestant I was using. This afternoon I went out shopping. I have noticed no side effects, others than a mild nausea after the day 1 dose, which may or may not have been from the medicine. This is my second highly positive experience with this medicine."

Chuck 597 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2012

"I was prescribed a 250mg Z-Pak for bronchitis/upper respiratory infection (which I'm sure was viral, but whatever). I experienced horrible diarrhea starting on day 2. After 4 pills, I gave up and called my doc, who told me to discontinue use. Guess I'll add this to my list of allergies."

DC Guy December 11, 2012

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Azithromycin is the best for sinusitis and for a long term therapy as it is safe and no diarrhea and vomiting related problems as I feel."

Dr figo (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "One day and I already feel better after being laid up for 5 days regret not calling my doctor sooner!"

Anonymous November 21, 2012

"A visit to the doctor resulted in a chest X-ray and blood test which confirmed an inflammation of the lungs and bacterial infection. I was given a 3-day dosage of Azithromycin for the inflammation and warned it can cause diarrhea. I was also prescribed an inhaler as a lung test showed 25% restriction. First day no side effects except for heavy drowsiness. Second day could already feel the symptoms reducing. Second day, 20 minutes after taking the meds, I got strong stomach pains (felt in the colon area not stomach) followed by heavy drowsiness. Third day I made sure to eat before the pill, which minimized the stomach pain but I got one bout of diarrhea in the evening. Day 5' symptoms have improved although I still have a runny nose and cough."

Citygrrl (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Very nice"

Anonymous April 23, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Works great for strep infection."

Anonymous September 20, 2011

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I have been using Zithromax for the past 6 years to fight off my upper respiratory tract infections. I have tried almost everything else in the military medical inventory to win against the URI's I get yearly (every Sept/Oct Time frame) but Zithromax wins hands down every time. Does not matter during which stage of the URI you begin to take the medicine. The first or second night you will start to fight the infection hardcore and you might notice a fever develop as your body fights against the bacteria. After that its smooth sailing so you feel better by the 3rd day and completely cured by the 5th day. It is definitely a wonder drug and worth the extra money."

Anonymous September 8, 2011

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Zithromax was given to my daughter for upper respiratory symptoms 3 days before her flight to Fla to visit grandparents. Within the day noticed a great difference. No side effects and she has a heart condition. My lovely daughter passed her buggies on to me been fighting it for a week. Went to doctor today, gave me the same thing.... Fingers crossed."

Cwolfe2 April 7, 2011

"I went to the ER because I thought I had bronchitis. Turns out it was a Upper Respiratory Infection. I was given the Z-pak 500mg and was told to take the 2 pills as a first dose which was around 8:00pm. The next morning, I felt a lot better than the previous day and continued the regiment. But on the 3rd day I was nauseous and had this HORRIBLE metallic taste in my mouth. Now it's the 4th day and I can't stand this taste. However, the nasty coughing and the phlegm is pretty much gone. "

Anonymous February 9, 2011

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Terrible diarrhea. Very bad stomach pains."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I was prescribed 250mg, 5 day dose pack of Azithromycin for upper respiratory infection. Dosing: 2 tabs 1st day, then 1 per day for 3 days. Took 2 tabs 1st day no problem.. 2nd day, 1 tab in morning before driving to family reunion. Almost immediate intermittent left upper chest painb. No other symptoms of heart attack. Chewed 2 aspirin after lunch - only slight relief. Returned home in evening and found Cardiac symptoms listed on dose pack descriptions. Discontinued taking Azithromycin and had no recurrence of chest pains 3rd day to date. Ten days later I had electrocardiogram down and results were normal."

Texas Jim July 13, 2010

Zithromax (azithromycin): "This medicine is the best. I have been using this medicine about once every year for upper respiratory tract infections. It really starts to work by day 2 and continues to work after about a week. As with any medicine the side effects with me is going to the restroom more than usual. "

Wolfman627 May 2, 2010

"It is a very effective medicine if taken with full precautions and complete dosage as prescribed by the doctor. I am feeling well within 24 hrs but will continue the dosage for 2 more days to complete the cycle."

Anonymous November 6, 2009