User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 4 reviews 12 medications

6.6
Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 19 medications

6.3
Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 130 medications Not rated - Be the first
Esophageal Variceal ...hage Prophylaxis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atenolol reviews 79 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Atenolol

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I've been on 100 mg of this medication and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It lowered my blood pressure and I also got the side benefit of reduced anxiety. No bad side effects whatsoever. This one is a 10 in my book.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 9:32 AM
Review by Horrible side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for High Blood Pressure: Ever since taking this my throat has been swollen. I told the dr & he doesn't think its from the Atenolol but it didn't start until then. Its hard to sleep at night. I have horrible eye pressure and it makes me anxious. I'm hoping I can switch meds soon. It doesn't reduce my pressure much at all.

November 11, 2013 9:52 AM
Review by missy 1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: Awful drug so dizzy all the time cant walk or shower. Has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Agoraphobia is coming back now . Sick gut all the time. Put on it in er for afib. Wish to god id never been put on this evil drug. Xanax no longer work on these either. Beware.

October 31, 2013 9:02 AM
Review by Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more):

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: This is an update regarding my previous post which you can read at the begining of this thread. My medication has been reduced the doctor said he thought it was the furosemide that was causing my ankles to swell. I came off it and now my foot pain has disappeared also..my ankles never swell. I was also taken off ferrous sulphate, absorbic acid and Vitamin B12 injection. All my tests are fine, I now take 3 x 500mg metformin a day 100mg thyroxine, pravastatin, losartan, Antenlol. I have come off so many tablets, Did I need them all in the first place?

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 15, 2013 4:43 PM
Review by Lucky Lucy: User Rating:

atenolol for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Atenolol for years, and though it worked fairly well sometimes, now it's pretty useless. I get a migraine every other day. Nothing has changed in my habits. It's 31 years of migraine and no sign of it slowing down. Already been through the menopause.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 14, 2013 9:01 AM
Review by Csmadd90: User Rating:

atenolol for Migraine Prevention: I had migraines for years but then I was prescribed atenolol for prophylactic treatment. I took a daily dose of atenolol. I am migraine free since 2007. Yay!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2013 12:09 PM
Review by SlamDancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: I was originally prescribed atenolol for mitral valve prolapse but it does an excellent job of helping me manage physical anxiety symptoms as well. Shakes, sweats, hot flashes, palpitations are all greatly reduced. I also have glaucoma and have noticed a slight decrease in my Intraocular Pressure while taking atenolol. Overall, a very valuable medicine with many benefits.

June 26, 2013 6:32 PM
Review by dian1900:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have found that atenolol has brought my blood pressure numbers to a good, acceptable level. Prior to atenolol I was running 168/ 108. I have noticed some weight gain. I will have to workout more. I saw somewhere on one of these posts that someone mentioned very low to no sex drive. I think this is a very common problem with a lot of meds like Atenolol, beta blockers, and antidepressants. I too experience those problems. I also take high cholesterol medicine, and an anti depressant.

April 28, 2013 10:33 PM
Review by Jet Ag (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: Works well for me along with spironolactone. Actually think it's good for your facial skin, helping to keep it smooth.

April 28, 2013 5:17 AM
Review by valleron2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: Work great for anxiety and stage fright. No side effects.

March 31, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by Aurora1: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Migraine Prevention: Twenty years ago (in my mid thirties) I began to suffer from excruciating headaches. My doctor put me on progesterone cream, and there was some improvement. He thought that PMS was a contributing factor. I had a cardiac arrest when I was 38. Nothing was found to be wrong with my heart, but I was going through an emotional crisis at the time. The cardiologist put me on atenolol (25 mg/day; I now take 50 mg/day). I was put on the atenolol to keep my blood pressure down and keep my heart from beating too fast in emotional situations. The upside to all this is that I have not had but a couple of migraines in 20 years, and none since the dose was increased to 50 mg.

February 20, 2013 10:02 PM
Review by DeeDee2850:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: After a nightmare few years on various ACE inhibitors (Diovan the worst), I asked my Dr. for Atenolol. After only a week and a half, no more palpitations and immediate lowered blood pressure.

February 14, 2013 9:22 AM
Review by Trish Hendrix (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for High Blood Pressure: My blood pressure went fro 160/100 to 110/70 and I have not had any side effects.

January 21, 2013 10:05 AM
Review by Ch0000002: User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency.

January 4, 2013 8:55 AM
Review by Maggie G (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: This is a great medication. Not only has it helped me with my blood pressure, it has also helped me with my anxiety.

December 29, 2012 10:49 AM
Review by S Venkatesh (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Atenelol 100 mg for 17 years now. I find my body adjusted to the medicine and keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate under control [125/75, 60]. I switched to Amlodipine but that doesn't work for me and back on to Atenolol.

November 25, 2012 12:42 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it.

October 30, 2012 7:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I had very vivid dreams while on this medication while being treated for hypertension following a mild stroke.

October 9, 2012 8:27 AM
Review by mcpepper111 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have had good results with atenolol. My blood pressure was at 189/109 before I started taking it. After only one month my blood pressure consistently reads at 124/82. I have had no side effects at all and it's very inexpensive.

September 20, 2012 4:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: Have been on this medicine for over 10 years, it does control my BP rather well, but have been looking for other alternatives recently. My main problem is the shortness of breath especially if I do any type of cardio. I started running last year, and immediately noticed that I can't run for long periods, and am stuck doing intervals of jogging / walking. Next is Rhinitis always hacking out clear phlegm, and my last complaint is the edema (swelling in the ankles/feet).

September 18, 2012 10:58 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: Have been using this for many years to regulate my heart beat as I have mitral prolapse and atrial tachycardia and have found it the best out of others.

July 31, 2012 5:56 PM
Review by Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have been on Atenolol 25 mg for over 10 years along with furosemide and Losartan, also metformin, ferrous sulphate, levothyroxine , pravastatin, and absorbic acid. I have pains in my feet and sometimes I cannot sleep, it is hard to say which tablets cause side effects when your on so many. All I can say is my blood pressure is fine now.

May 16, 2012 3:26 PM
Review by ijames99: User Rating:

atenolol for Migraine Prevention: It was prescribed for migraines. The pain stopped now for over 20 days and my hands and feet are no longer cold 24/7. I sleep better too. Finally, some relief from migraines after 25 years with no relief and having taken almost everything under the sun for migraines.

April 19, 2012 3:16 AM
Review by Seattlechic: User Rating:

atenolol for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I was born with mitral valve prolapse and started having palpitations when going through a lot of stress in my mid-30s. I was started on Atenolol 25 mg per day.... then noticed about 10 years later that my heart rate was going up again and had bouts of palpitations. My Dr just adjusted the dosage to 50 mg per day. I have asthma also but Theophylline ER 200 mg taken twice daily takes care of the asthma.

March 27, 2012 10:28 PM
Review by lizzzz: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 7, 2012 10:50 PM