User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 4 reviews 12 medications

6.6
Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 19 medications

6.3
Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 130 medications Not rated - Be the first
Esophageal Variceal ...hage Prophylaxis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atenolol reviews 79 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Atenolol

Review by tony m: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have taken atenolol for over 21 years and it has kept my pressure in the normal range for a 68yr old man. Although its does slow my heartbeat to 45bps at times and I feel tired also.

February 1, 2012 6:15 PM
Review by 53 year old woman: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: Caused severe dizziness upon standing and even when sitting at my desk. Mental disturbances such as severe blurred vision, causing nausea and vomiting.

December 7, 2011 7:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have taken this medicine for ten years. 50mg at first then 100mg. Have suffered with rash on my arms, itching, light headedness, confusion since reduced to 50mg have noticed lightheadedness has decreased.

October 15, 2011 7:47 PM
Review by AnnieAnn6962: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone.

September 28, 2011 12:32 AM
Review by Lower heart rate now: User Rating:

atenolol for Ventricular Tachycardia: I went on Dyazide for high blood pressure; it was seriously high. It was still a little bit high so the doctor put me on Dyazide. My resting heart rate was also consistently above 100, probably around 120. Now, I have normal blood pressure and normal resting heart rate. There were no noticeable side effects. I am very happy with my hypertension and tachycardia medicines.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2011 10:41 PM
Review by gabbygayle:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have used Atenolol for years, and it controls my blood pressure very well. One good side effect I found is it helps me not to be so shy in public situations i.e. I can read out loud in public without my voice shaking. I also can now be very opinionated, which might be a bad side effect for my friends and family!

September 3, 2011 4:47 PM
Review by Pake's Girl: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I've been using Atenolol for 20 years, not my favorite. I struggle with exhaustion, low blood pressure and weight gain. On the upside... my aortic aneurysm has remained stable and aortic replacement isn't necessary for now.

August 4, 2011 12:25 PM
Review by Accipiter: User Rating:

atenolol for Ventricular Tachycardia: I was prescribed this temporarily for a bout of rapid resting heart rate. I was unfortunate enough to have some of the severe side effects, including depression. I was inconsolable as every tiny little thing set me off to bawling! I also had tightness in the chest when I tried to walk down the street. Definitely did what it was supposed to do, which was slow my heart, but the side effects were too much.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 29, 2011 11:19 AM
Review by fibrochickadee: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I really like atenolol. It helps bring all of my numbers down but most importantly it brings my heart rate down a huge amount. My heart rate can get up to 165 when I'm resting. When I take my atenolol it goes between 70's and 60's so it helps quiet a bit. I've been on it for years now and haven't had any side effects. I would highly recommend it.

July 7, 2011 7:08 PM
Review by Happy & Well: User Rating:

atenolol for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I have been on 25mg daily for 8 years and have not had a single episode. Heart rate is 68-72 bpm. Missed a dose once and became very sick with high blood pressure 186/107. Need to consult with physician to stop taking it. I'm on this for life so no worries.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 5, 2011 11:40 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot.

June 6, 2011 9:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have been on Tenormin for about 4 years. It certainly has taken care of the heart palpitations. I do not take any caffeine. But other side-effects have occurred: asthma has gotten worse, I get winded after running only one and a half mile, more often than not, I feel tired, my hair is thinning, I have esophageal spasms, which I have read that Tenormin may induce upper GI problems. I am going off the medication to see if it makes a difference. I exercise regularly, and 7 years ago, my Doctor suggested I take Beta-Blockers, which I wasn't keen on, but since I exercise, he said it wasn't that imperative that I take it. So I'd rather run regularly, and efficiently and be off it.

May 30, 2011 7:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: Even though I have read that atenolol may raise 50% the risk for diabetes, I have used it for more than 20 years without any problems.

April 7, 2011 7:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

atenolol for Ventricular Tachycardia: this has been a God-send for my Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 18, 2010 6:28 PM
Review by annabell47:

My husband has taken this medication for two months. He took it for a shaking disorder in his hand. it has totally calmed him down. For twenty years I have endured rages and temper tantrums. He hasn't had an episode in a month and one half. It is a remarkable drug. I am hoping this lasts. He is a new person. He has taken Celexa for two years and it only slightly cured his rages. He seemed to be almost bi-polar. But whatever - it cured him.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2010 8:27 AM
Review by Dormarie: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: Been taking Atenolol many years. I have an extremely difficult time keeping my weight down, bad metabolism. I needed to increase the amount to 50 mg to get a good blood pressure of 120/70. So now will probably gain weight. Will change the extra 25 mg Atenolol to something else soon. Wish I knew exactly what would work for the extra. I am writing this after reading all the helpful comments here.

July 28, 2010 6:20 PM
Review by Soothsayer: User Rating:

atenolol for Anxiety: I have been taking Atenolol (50mg) for a month or so now. There was an immediate drop in blood pressure and my anxiety has lessened so that I need my Xanax much less often. One thing I have noticed is that I wake up a few times a night with pain in whatever shoulder I have been sleeping on. It feels like joint pain and lasts for about an hour after awakening. Otherwise it does not effect my sleep. Another side effect is that, an hour after taking it, I yawn and my eyes water. Also, the first two weeks I took it I had diarrhea when previous to that I was constipated, but that has subsided.

June 14, 2010 7:47 PM
Review by nostunk: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I suffered with slightly elevated blood pressure and migraines for 12 to 15 years. After a trip to Mayo Clinic and being put on beta blockers my blood pressure was normal and no headaches. I have now been on Atenolol for 10 yrs or more with a total of 47 yrs on various blockers with minimal side effects. I don't believe Doctors use this treatment often enough for migraines.

April 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have taken Tenormin/Atenolol for Mitral Valve Prolapse, and accompanying arrhythmias, for probably 20 years. I VERY rarely have episodes and, so far as I am aware, no side effects of any kind.

April 7, 2010 9:54 AM
Review by kevinfarmer1957: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I use atenolol as one of three medications now (along with Norvasc and Hydrochlorothiazide) and the combination is working well. Blood pressure ranges in the 130/80 range and lower. I need it this low since I am a diabetic.

April 4, 2010 11:01 AM
Review by bigmutt: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: Taking Atenolol for 12 years, kept my BP in acceptable range (150/90) during all this time; suddenly BP went up to (170/120) every day, so I went to see Dr. who said Atenolol was "older treatment" and that much better drugs have come along since. He put me on hydrochlorothiazide/ losartan (Hyzaar) and BP went even higher. Now after 2 weeks on Hyzaar, my BP is 190/130 consistently and I want to go back to Atenolol but Dr. says to give it the full 30 days to work.

April 2, 2010 12:13 PM
Review by rabaq2: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for High Blood Pressure: I just started this drug, noticed heart rate regulated ,and blood preasure and heart rate hasn't been this low in years, so far seems to be great. I am on 25mg - the lowest dose.

February 27, 2010 1:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Migraine Prevention: I took Tenormin years ago for migraines...guess it worked then too. But I had been taken off of it....last year alone I had over 20 migraines, I was put back on Tenormin in October 09, 1per day. I had 2 migraines by November 09 in which my dose was increased to 2/day (25mg). Today is Jan 27, 2010 and I haven't had a migraine since Nov 09.

January 27, 2010 2:50 PM
Review by fingers24: User Rating:

67 year old male on atenolol for about 3-4 years/ prescribed to keep my heart beat regular( having PVC's) and lower my BP which was high at 140/90. Pulse was about 80 at rest. With atenolol at rest my BP is about 105/65 pulse is 52. Taking 50 mg 1 x daily at bedtime. Seemed to take care of PVC's the first two years but then they became very bothersome. My doctor said try 50mg 2x daily morning and evening. This was making PVC's worse so I went down to 25 mg 2x daily and that seemed to help. Seems like after 7 to 8 hrs my PVC's would start up. Found atenolol has a 6hr half life, so now I am taking 25mg 3x daily every 8 hours. Seems to level out the medication in my system and controls the PVC's. BP and pulse still low, so I will continue that dose.

December 9, 2009 1:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

atenolol for High Blood Pressure: I have been on atenolol for about 3 1/2 months. I am only 23 so my blood pressure wasn't too too high but for my age it was a concern to my doctor, so she had me start taking half of 25mg every night. It did help for my blood pressure. It also helped me get to sleep at night, since I have a slight insomnia problem. But I do have a problem with depression also and it seemed to make that a little worse. Since I started taking it I also went from about 130lbs to 146lbs in those few months and with dieting and exercise I still have not been able to get that weight to go away and it has also made me no longer have a sex drive.

December 7, 2009 12:23 AM