User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 5 reviews 12 medications

7.2
Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 19 medications

6.3
Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 128 medications Not rated - Be the first
Esophageal Variceal ...hage Prophylaxis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atenolol reviews 91 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Atenolol

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency."

Ch0000002 January 4, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This is a great medication. Not only has it helped me with my blood pressure, it has also helped me with my anxiety."

Maggie G (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Atenelol 100 mg for 17 years now. I find my body adjusted to the medicine and keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate under control [125/75, 60]. I switched to Amlodipine but that doesn't work for me and back on to Atenolol."

S Venkatesh (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2012

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 30, 2012

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I had very vivid dreams while on this medication while being treated for hypertension following a mild stroke."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had good results with atenolol. My blood pressure was at 189/109 before I started taking it. After only one month my blood pressure consistently reads at 124/82. I have had no side effects at all and it's very inexpensive."

mcpepper111 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been on this medicine for over 10 years, it does control my BP rather well, but have been looking for other alternatives recently. My main problem is the shortness of breath especially if I do any type of cardio. I started running last year, and immediately noticed that I can't run for long periods, and am stuck doing intervals of jogging / walking. Next is Rhinitis always hacking out clear phlegm, and my last complaint is the edema (swelling in the ankles/feet). "

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 18, 2012

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "Have been using this for many years to regulate my heart beat as I have mitral prolapse and atrial tachycardia and have found it the best out of others."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Atenolol 25 mg for over 10 years along with furosemide and Losartan, also metformin, ferrous sulphate, levothyroxine , pravastatin, and absorbic acid. I have pains in my feet and sometimes I cannot sleep, it is hard to say which tablets cause side effects when your on so many. All I can say is my blood pressure is fine now."

Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2012

For Migraine Prevention: "It was prescribed for migraines. The pain stopped now for over 20 days and my hands and feet are no longer cold 24/7. I sleep better too. Finally, some relief from migraines after 25 years with no relief and having taken almost everything under the sun for migraines."

ijames99 April 19, 2012

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I was born with mitral valve prolapse and started having palpitations when going through a lot of stress in my mid-30s. I was started on Atenolol 25 mg per day.... then noticed about 10 years later that my heart rate was going up again and had bouts of palpitations. My Dr just adjusted the dosage to 50 mg per day. I have asthma also but Theophylline ER 200 mg taken twice daily takes care of the asthma."

Seattlechic March 27, 2012

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: "This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab."

lizzzz March 7, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken atenolol for over 21 years and it has kept my pressure in the normal range for a 68yr old man. Although its does slow my heartbeat to 45bps at times and I feel tired also."

tony m February 1, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: "Caused severe dizziness upon standing and even when sitting at my desk. Mental disturbances such as severe blurred vision, causing nausea and vomiting."

53 year old woman December 7, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken this medicine for ten years. 50mg at first then 100mg. Have suffered with rash on my arms, itching, light headedness, confusion since reduced to 50mg have noticed lightheadedness has decreased."

Anonymous October 15, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone."

AnnieAnn6962 September 28, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I went on Dyazide for high blood pressure; it was seriously high. It was still a little bit high so the doctor put me on Dyazide. My resting heart rate was also consistently above 100, probably around 120. Now, I have normal blood pressure and normal resting heart rate. There were no noticeable side effects. I am very happy with my hypertension and tachycardia medicines."

Lower heart rate now September 3, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I have used Atenolol for years, and it controls my blood pressure very well. One good side effect I found is it helps me not to be so shy in public situations i.e. I can read out loud in public without my voice shaking. I also can now be very opinionated, which might be a bad side effect for my friends and family!"

gabbygayle September 3, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been using Atenolol for 20 years, not my favorite. I struggle with exhaustion, low blood pressure and weight gain. On the upside... my aortic aneurysm has remained stable and aortic replacement isn't necessary for now."

Pake's Girl August 4, 2011

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I was prescribed this temporarily for a bout of rapid resting heart rate. I was unfortunate enough to have some of the severe side effects, including depression. I was inconsolable as every tiny little thing set me off to bawling! I also had tightness in the chest when I tried to walk down the street. Definitely did what it was supposed to do, which was slow my heart, but the side effects were too much."

Accipiter July 29, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: "I really like atenolol. It helps bring all of my numbers down but most importantly it brings my heart rate down a huge amount. My heart rate can get up to 165 when I'm resting. When I take my atenolol it goes between 70's and 60's so it helps quiet a bit. I've been on it for years now and haven't had any side effects. I would highly recommend it."

fibrochickadee July 7, 2011

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have been on 25mg daily for 8 years and have not had a single episode. Heart rate is 68-72 bpm. Missed a dose once and became very sick with high blood pressure 186/107. Need to consult with physician to stop taking it. I'm on this for life so no worries."

Happy & Well July 5, 2011

For Anxiety: "Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot."

Anonymous June 6, 2011

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I have been on Tenormin for about 4 years. It certainly has taken care of the heart palpitations. I do not take any caffeine. But other side-effects have occurred: asthma has gotten worse, I get winded after running only one and a half mile, more often than not, I feel tired, my hair is thinning, I have esophageal spasms, which I have read that Tenormin may induce upper GI problems. I am going off the medication to see if it makes a difference. I exercise regularly, and 7 years ago, my Doctor suggested I take Beta-Blockers, which I wasn't keen on, but since I exercise, he said it wasn't that imperative that I take it. So I'd rather run regularly, and efficiently and be off it."

Anonymous May 30, 2011

Tenormin (atenolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "Even though I have read that atenolol may raise 50% the risk for diabetes, I have used it for more than 20 years without any problems."

Anonymous April 7, 2011