User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 4 reviews 12 medications

6.9
Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 19 medications

6.3
Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 0 reviews 130 medications Not rated - Be the first
Esophageal Variceal ...hage Prophylaxis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Atenolol reviews 83 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Atenolol

Review by Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more):

For High Blood Pressure: I have been on Atenolol 25 mg for over 10 years along with furosemide and Losartan, also metformin, ferrous sulphate, levothyroxine , pravastatin, and absorbic acid. I have pains in my feet and sometimes I cannot sleep, it is hard to say which tablets cause side effects when your on so many. All I can say is my blood pressure is fine now.

May 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Review by ijames99:

For Migraine Prevention: It was prescribed for migraines. The pain stopped now for over 20 days and my hands and feet are no longer cold 24/7. I sleep better too. Finally, some relief from migraines after 25 years with no relief and having taken almost everything under the sun for migraines.

April 19, 2012 3:16 AM

Review by Seattlechic:

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I was born with mitral valve prolapse and started having palpitations when going through a lot of stress in my mid-30s. I was started on Atenolol 25 mg per day.... then noticed about 10 years later that my heart rate was going up again and had bouts of palpitations. My Dr just adjusted the dosage to 50 mg per day. I have asthma also but Theophylline ER 200 mg taken twice daily takes care of the asthma.

March 27, 2012 10:28 PM

Review by lizzzz:

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2012 10:50 PM

Review by tony m:

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken atenolol for over 21 years and it has kept my pressure in the normal range for a 68yr old man. Although its does slow my heartbeat to 45bps at times and I feel tired also.

February 1, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by 53 year old woman:

For High Blood Pressure: Caused severe dizziness upon standing and even when sitting at my desk. Mental disturbances such as severe blurred vision, causing nausea and vomiting.

December 7, 2011 7:36 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken this medicine for ten years. 50mg at first then 100mg. Have suffered with rash on my arms, itching, light headedness, confusion since reduced to 50mg have noticed lightheadedness has decreased.

October 15, 2011 7:47 PM

Review by AnnieAnn6962:

For High Blood Pressure: I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone.

September 28, 2011 12:32 AM

Review by Lower heart rate now:

For Ventricular Tachycardia: I went on Dyazide for high blood pressure; it was seriously high. It was still a little bit high so the doctor put me on Dyazide. My resting heart rate was also consistently above 100, probably around 120. Now, I have normal blood pressure and normal resting heart rate. There were no noticeable side effects. I am very happy with my hypertension and tachycardia medicines.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2011 10:41 PM

Review by gabbygayle:

For High Blood Pressure: I have used Atenolol for years, and it controls my blood pressure very well. One good side effect I found is it helps me not to be so shy in public situations i.e. I can read out loud in public without my voice shaking. I also can now be very opinionated, which might be a bad side effect for my friends and family!

September 3, 2011 4:47 PM

Review by Pake's Girl:

For High Blood Pressure: I've been using Atenolol for 20 years, not my favorite. I struggle with exhaustion, low blood pressure and weight gain. On the upside... my aortic aneurysm has remained stable and aortic replacement isn't necessary for now.

August 4, 2011 12:25 PM

Review by Accipiter:

For Ventricular Tachycardia: I was prescribed this temporarily for a bout of rapid resting heart rate. I was unfortunate enough to have some of the severe side effects, including depression. I was inconsolable as every tiny little thing set me off to bawling! I also had tightness in the chest when I tried to walk down the street. Definitely did what it was supposed to do, which was slow my heart, but the side effects were too much.

July 29, 2011 11:19 AM

Review by fibrochickadee:

For High Blood Pressure: I really like atenolol. It helps bring all of my numbers down but most importantly it brings my heart rate down a huge amount. My heart rate can get up to 165 when I'm resting. When I take my atenolol it goes between 70's and 60's so it helps quiet a bit. I've been on it for years now and haven't had any side effects. I would highly recommend it.

July 7, 2011 7:08 PM

Review by Happy & Well:

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I have been on 25mg daily for 8 years and have not had a single episode. Heart rate is 68-72 bpm. Missed a dose once and became very sick with high blood pressure 186/107. Need to consult with physician to stop taking it. I'm on this for life so no worries.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2011 11:40 AM

For Anxiety: Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot.

June 6, 2011 9:13 PM

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have been on Tenormin for about 4 years. It certainly has taken care of the heart palpitations. I do not take any caffeine. But other side-effects have occurred: asthma has gotten worse, I get winded after running only one and a half mile, more often than not, I feel tired, my hair is thinning, I have esophageal spasms, which I have read that Tenormin may induce upper GI problems. I am going off the medication to see if it makes a difference. I exercise regularly, and 7 years ago, my Doctor suggested I take Beta-Blockers, which I wasn't keen on, but since I exercise, he said it wasn't that imperative that I take it. So I'd rather run regularly, and efficiently and be off it.

May 30, 2011 7:51 AM

Tenormin (atenolol) for Ventricular Tachycardia: Even though I have read that atenolol may raise 50% the risk for diabetes, I have used it for more than 20 years without any problems.

April 7, 2011 7:09 PM

For Ventricular Tachycardia: this has been a God-send for my Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2010 6:28 PM

Review by annabell47:

For : My husband has taken this medication for two months. He took it for a shaking disorder in his hand. it has totally calmed him down. For twenty years I have endured rages and temper tantrums. He hasn't had an episode in a month and one half. It is a remarkable drug. I am hoping this lasts. He is a new person. He has taken Celexa for two years and it only slightly cured his rages. He seemed to be almost bi-polar. But whatever - it cured him.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2010 8:27 AM

Review by Dormarie:

For High Blood Pressure: Been taking Atenolol many years. I have an extremely difficult time keeping my weight down, bad metabolism. I needed to increase the amount to 50 mg to get a good blood pressure of 120/70. So now will probably gain weight. Will change the extra 25 mg Atenolol to something else soon. Wish I knew exactly what would work for the extra. I am writing this after reading all the helpful comments here.

July 28, 2010 6:20 PM

Review by Soothsayer:

For Anxiety: I have been taking Atenolol (50mg) for a month or so now. There was an immediate drop in blood pressure and my anxiety has lessened so that I need my Xanax much less often. One thing I have noticed is that I wake up a few times a night with pain in whatever shoulder I have been sleeping on. It feels like joint pain and lasts for about an hour after awakening. Otherwise it does not effect my sleep. Another side effect is that, an hour after taking it, I yawn and my eyes water. Also, the first two weeks I took it I had diarrhea when previous to that I was constipated, but that has subsided.

June 14, 2010 7:47 PM

Review by nostunk:

For High Blood Pressure: I suffered with slightly elevated blood pressure and migraines for 12 to 15 years. After a trip to Mayo Clinic and being put on beta blockers my blood pressure was normal and no headaches. I have now been on Atenolol for 10 yrs or more with a total of 47 yrs on various blockers with minimal side effects. I don't believe Doctors use this treatment often enough for migraines.

April 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Tenormin (atenolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have taken Tenormin/Atenolol for Mitral Valve Prolapse, and accompanying arrhythmias, for probably 20 years. I VERY rarely have episodes and, so far as I am aware, no side effects of any kind.

April 7, 2010 9:54 AM

Review by kevinfarmer1957:

For High Blood Pressure: I use atenolol as one of three medications now (along with Norvasc and Hydrochlorothiazide) and the combination is working well. Blood pressure ranges in the 130/80 range and lower. I need it this low since I am a diabetic.

April 4, 2010 11:01 AM

Review by bigmutt:

For High Blood Pressure: Taking Atenolol for 12 years, kept my BP in acceptable range (150/90) during all this time; suddenly BP went up to (170/120) every day, so I went to see Dr. who said Atenolol was "older treatment" and that much better drugs have come along since. He put me on hydrochlorothiazide/ losartan (Hyzaar) and BP went even higher. Now after 2 weeks on Hyzaar, my BP is 190/130 consistently and I want to go back to Atenolol but Dr. says to give it the full 30 days to work.

April 2, 2010 12:13 PM