User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Atenolol Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atenolol to treat Anxiety

"Very helpful for performance anxiety when taken together with 0.5mg Xanax, no more racing heart, palpitation, sweating hands, running out of the room feeling when doing presentation in front group of people, better than propanolol since this does not cause wheezing on me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2014

"Awful drug so dizzy all the time cant walk or shower. Has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Agoraphobia is coming back now . Sick gut all the time. Put on it in er for afib. Wish to god id never been put on this evil drug. Xanax no longer work on these either. Beware."

missy 1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

"I was originally prescribed atenolol for mitral valve prolapse but it does an excellent job of helping me manage physical anxiety symptoms as well. Shakes, sweats, hot flashes, palpitations are all greatly reduced. I also have glaucoma and have noticed a slight decrease in my Intraocular Pressure while taking atenolol. Overall, a very valuable medicine with many benefits."

SlamDancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Work great for anxiety and stage fright. No side effects."

valleron2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2013

"I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency."

Ch0000002 January 4, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 30, 2012

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab."

lizzzz March 7, 2012

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot."

Anonymous June 6, 2011

"I have been taking Atenolol (50mg) for a month or so now. There was an immediate drop in blood pressure and my anxiety has lessened so that I need my Xanax much less often. One thing I have noticed is that I wake up a few times a night with pain in whatever shoulder I have been sleeping on. It feels like joint pain and lasts for about an hour after awakening. Otherwise it does not effect my sleep. Another side effect is that, an hour after taking it, I yawn and my eyes water. Also, the first two weeks I took it I had diarrhea when previous to that I was constipated, but that has subsided."

Soothsayer June 14, 2010

Tenormin (atenolol): "This was prescribed for hypertension, and so far as I can tell I have had no problems with it. I cannot say whether it helps with anxiety, although my doctor said to take one when I felt as though my heart was racing. It seemed to help, but I do not know whether it was because of the Tenormin or the placebo effect."

jaxony June 21, 2009

"Very good for stage fright, or fear of flying because it does not impair functioning, many people don't "notice" it at all, but are noticeably calmer."

Anonymous June 14, 2008

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Anxiety