User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Atenolol review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Atenolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on 100 mg of this medication and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It lowered my blood pressure and I also got the side benefit of reduced anxiety. No bad side effects whatsoever. This one is a 10 in my book.

April 17, 2014 9:32 AM

Review by Horrible side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tenormin (atenolol): Ever since taking this my throat has been swollen. I told the dr & he doesn't think its from the Atenolol but it didn't start until then. Its hard to sleep at night. I have horrible eye pressure and it makes me anxious. I'm hoping I can switch meds soon. It doesn't reduce my pressure much at all.

November 11, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more):

This is an update regarding my previous post which you can read at the begining of this thread. My medication has been reduced the doctor said he thought it was the furosemide that was causing my ankles to swell. I came off it and now my foot pain has disappeared also..my ankles never swell. I was also taken off ferrous sulphate, absorbic acid and Vitamin B12 injection. All my tests are fine, I now take 3 x 500mg metformin a day 100mg thyroxine, pravastatin, losartan, Antenlol. I have come off so many tablets, Did I need them all in the first place?

October 15, 2013 4:43 PM

Review by dian1900:

I have found that atenolol has brought my blood pressure numbers to a good, acceptable level. Prior to atenolol I was running 168/ 108. I have noticed some weight gain. I will have to workout more. I saw somewhere on one of these posts that someone mentioned very low to no sex drive. I think this is a very common problem with a lot of meds like Atenolol, beta blockers, and antidepressants. I too experience those problems. I also take high cholesterol medicine, and an anti depressant.

April 28, 2013 10:33 PM

Review by Jet Ag (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Works well for me along with spironolactone. Actually think it's good for your facial skin, helping to keep it smooth.

April 28, 2013 5:17 AM

Review by DeeDee2850:

After a nightmare few years on various ACE inhibitors (Diovan the worst), I asked my Dr. for Atenolol. After only a week and a half, no more palpitations and immediate lowered blood pressure.

February 14, 2013 9:22 AM

Review by Trish Hendrix (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Tenormin (atenolol): My blood pressure went fro 160/100 to 110/70 and I have not had any side effects.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by Maggie G (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is a great medication. Not only has it helped me with my blood pressure, it has also helped me with my anxiety.

December 29, 2012 10:49 AM

Review by S Venkatesh (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Atenelol 100 mg for 17 years now. I find my body adjusted to the medicine and keeps my blood pressure and pulse rate under control [125/75, 60]. I switched to Amlodipine but that doesn't work for me and back on to Atenolol.

November 25, 2012 12:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had very vivid dreams while on this medication while being treated for hypertension following a mild stroke.

October 9, 2012 8:27 AM

Review by mcpepper111 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have had good results with atenolol. My blood pressure was at 189/109 before I started taking it. After only one month my blood pressure consistently reads at 124/82. I have had no side effects at all and it's very inexpensive.

September 20, 2012 4:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Have been on this medicine for over 10 years, it does control my BP rather well, but have been looking for other alternatives recently. My main problem is the shortness of breath especially if I do any type of cardio. I started running last year, and immediately noticed that I can't run for long periods, and am stuck doing intervals of jogging / walking. Next is Rhinitis always hacking out clear phlegm, and my last complaint is the edema (swelling in the ankles/feet).

September 18, 2012 10:58 AM

Review by Margo27 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Atenolol 25 mg for over 10 years along with furosemide and Losartan, also metformin, ferrous sulphate, levothyroxine , pravastatin, and absorbic acid. I have pains in my feet and sometimes I cannot sleep, it is hard to say which tablets cause side effects when your on so many. All I can say is my blood pressure is fine now.

May 16, 2012 3:26 PM

Review by tony m:

I have taken atenolol for over 21 years and it has kept my pressure in the normal range for a 68yr old man. Although its does slow my heartbeat to 45bps at times and I feel tired also.

February 1, 2012 6:15 PM

Review by 53 year old woman:

Caused severe dizziness upon standing and even when sitting at my desk. Mental disturbances such as severe blurred vision, causing nausea and vomiting.

December 7, 2011 7:36 PM

I have taken this medicine for ten years. 50mg at first then 100mg. Have suffered with rash on my arms, itching, light headedness, confusion since reduced to 50mg have noticed lightheadedness has decreased.

October 15, 2011 7:47 PM

Review by AnnieAnn6962:

I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone.

September 28, 2011 12:32 AM

Review by gabbygayle:

I have used Atenolol for years, and it controls my blood pressure very well. One good side effect I found is it helps me not to be so shy in public situations i.e. I can read out loud in public without my voice shaking. I also can now be very opinionated, which might be a bad side effect for my friends and family!

September 3, 2011 4:47 PM

Review by Pake's Girl:

I've been using Atenolol for 20 years, not my favorite. I struggle with exhaustion, low blood pressure and weight gain. On the upside... my aortic aneurysm has remained stable and aortic replacement isn't necessary for now.

August 4, 2011 12:25 PM

Review by fibrochickadee:

I really like atenolol. It helps bring all of my numbers down but most importantly it brings my heart rate down a huge amount. My heart rate can get up to 165 when I'm resting. When I take my atenolol it goes between 70's and 60's so it helps quiet a bit. I've been on it for years now and haven't had any side effects. I would highly recommend it.

July 7, 2011 7:08 PM

Review by Dormarie:

Been taking Atenolol many years. I have an extremely difficult time keeping my weight down, bad metabolism. I needed to increase the amount to 50 mg to get a good blood pressure of 120/70. So now will probably gain weight. Will change the extra 25 mg Atenolol to something else soon. Wish I knew exactly what would work for the extra. I am writing this after reading all the helpful comments here.

July 28, 2010 6:20 PM

Review by nostunk:

I suffered with slightly elevated blood pressure and migraines for 12 to 15 years. After a trip to Mayo Clinic and being put on beta blockers my blood pressure was normal and no headaches. I have now been on Atenolol for 10 yrs or more with a total of 47 yrs on various blockers with minimal side effects. I don't believe Doctors use this treatment often enough for migraines.

April 11, 2010 4:31 PM

Review by kevinfarmer1957:

I use atenolol as one of three medications now (along with Norvasc and Hydrochlorothiazide) and the combination is working well. Blood pressure ranges in the 130/80 range and lower. I need it this low since I am a diabetic.

April 4, 2010 11:01 AM

Review by bigmutt:

Taking Atenolol for 12 years, kept my BP in acceptable range (150/90) during all this time; suddenly BP went up to (170/120) every day, so I went to see Dr. who said Atenolol was "older treatment" and that much better drugs have come along since. He put me on hydrochlorothiazide/ losartan (Hyzaar) and BP went even higher. Now after 2 weeks on Hyzaar, my BP is 190/130 consistently and I want to go back to Atenolol but Dr. says to give it the full 30 days to work.

April 2, 2010 12:13 PM

Review by rabaq2:

Tenormin (atenolol): I just started this drug, noticed heart rate regulated ,and blood preasure and heart rate hasn't been this low in years, so far seems to be great. I am on 25mg - the lowest dose.

February 27, 2010 1:12 PM