User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "had sinusitis for 3 weeks and got augmentine for medication. I'm on my 3rd day now and thinking of stopping as it gave me severe headache. couldn't do any work, just laying on the bed battling with it. augmentine is good, for most people, but not for me though."

Denise Alliman July 22, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Suffered for almost a week before heading to the doctor. My sinus infection had gotten so bad it lead to an ear infection. After trying to self medicate for almost a week (HUGE FAIL) I finally gave in. My lovely doctor prescribed Augmentin. I started Augmentin Thursday and today I am almost feeling like myself again. No negative side affects for me whatsoever :) pretty satisfied "

Feeling Way Better (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had the worst sinus infection of my life and couldn't sleep for 2 days. my sinuses felt like concrete. After 2 days on Augmentin I finally felt relief. It took 7 days to completely get rid of the infection. No side effects, maybe because I'm 6 ft 7 and weigh 260 lbs and had more body mass."

TallPaul July 4, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Day two and I already can breathe out of both nostrils!. My stomach feels a little weird but not terrible. 875 X 2"

sinuses June 27, 2015

"I have a sinus infection and after taking this medication for two day, I feel worse. I have diarrhea, nausea and a headache. I've taken this med before but not at this dosage. I am on my way back to the doctor for a lesser dosage or a different drug."

Sickgirl26 June 8, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Monday morning I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with Sinusitis, and prescribed me with Augmentin. I took my first dose at around 11 am, 4 hours later I was feeling terribly nauseous with awful cramps. Though the medication had helped subside the pain in my head, there was a newfound pain in stomach. I stopped taking the medication on Wednesday because the stomach pains were unbearable. In my experience, this medication helped get rid of my sinus infection but now I am suffering through daily nausea and cramps and I have been off the antibiotics for 2 days."

GriffinHoover23 May 21, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I have had episodes of Acute Sinusitis throughout many years and whenever I take this I feel better yet somewhat worse when I stop it. I does do the job with little to no side effects for me personally"

Sinus sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Seem to work very well. I have had a sinus infection for over a week and was feeling miserable. I started taking Augmentin yesterday and today I already feel 90% better! Yay! I think it is very important to take a high potency good bacteria pill (forgetting right now what they are called!) Very pleased with this perscription"

carolyn74 May 1, 2015

"On day 4 with no relief. I have had sinusitis now for 4 weeks. I first got prescribed Amoxicillin 800 which seemed to knock out the infection after just a few days on it. No side effects with amoxicillin. 5 days after completing my antibiotics the symptoms quickly came back but worse this time. Now on this antibiotic - severe head aches which linger all day, severe nausea, loss of appetite which has led me to not eat as much and lost 4 pounds in 2 days. Extremely sleepy all through out the day. Almost wish I never tried this antibiotic!"

MegBV April 22, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Augmentin gave me a debilitating, unbelievably severe headache. I thought I was going to die due to my head imploding with pain. I was literally screaming! Never again for me..."

Korine April 14, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had really bad sinus infection that lead to bronchitis that stemmed from bad allergies due to a dry, dusty environment and a plane ride home. Suffered for a week before heading to the doctor. Was placed on Augmentin and after 1 day had immediate relief and wheezing was under control in my chest. Wonder medication for infections!"

Sinus sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took one pill at 7 p.m. with food and was awake at midnight with diarrhea and nausea. I was up constantly for 3 hours. I'll be going to the doctor as soon as they open for a different med!"

aigevaT (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"This medicine made me horribly sick. I get sinus infection 1-2x per year and typically am prescribed azythromicin (z-pack) which works great. This time a new NP prescribed me 875mg augmenting 2x/day. I've never really had trouble with antibiotics so I obliged and started taking it. I was 4 doses in, and started getting diarreah and it continued into the next day so I took some Imodium. I should also mention that my voice got extremely hoarse after starting the medicine too. The Imodium seemed to help a little but I had a mild underlying continuous stomach ache that didn't go away. By the 3rd day I had headache fever bloating and diarreah. I stopped taking it 4th day. Two days later I am still sick with stomach pain. This is the devil!"

Kitty Kat Kaly (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Colds turn into sinus infections pretty easily on me. Yes I wait a while before I go to the doctor for antibiotics as most sinus infections are viral. By the time I went to the doc with this one I was MISERABLE. Hurting down into my jaw even. Within a few hours of taking the first pill there was relief. I never knew I could have so much disgusting stuff come out of my nose. I always take probiotics (especially while on antibiotics) to decrease GI side effects. TAKE PROBIOTICS. Nausea and diarrhea are possible with any antibiotic."

Ahhhh (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmfnyin 875 twice a day for a severe sinus infection and just after two pills (one day) I could see light at the end of a dark stuffy congested tunnel...I began feeling much better almost immediately but a side effect that almost subways happens to me with antibiotics....I got a yeast infection! My doctor told me that this is common because an antibiotics job is to kill bacteria all whether good or bad....these include bacterial that naturally occur and are normal in the vaginal tract so my doctor usually prescribes something for a yeast infection. Other than that taken with food I did not have any side effects and feel much better..it's amazing how quickly it works. After being miserable for days, I'm very happy!"

Works fast but as a female... (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This medication worked to clear up my sinus infection but gave me BLINDING, and I mean BLINDING headaches to the point where I couldn't even move my head without wincing in pain. That was the only side effect I experienced though. My guess is it's a pretty strong antibiotic and can affect everyone differently."

katt0103 July 25, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed 500 mg twice a day Augmentin for a sinus infection. After the second dose I developed BAD stomach cramps, nausea and loose stools. I continued the Augmentin for three more days but finally had to stop taking it due to the fact that it was completely destroying my stomach. It was working wonders on my sinus infection but the side effects were too much to bear. Worst of all, I'm still having cramps and loose stools even though I stopped taking the Augmentin two days ago. I hope the issues resolve themselves soon and won't require a trip to my gastroenerologist. Augmentin may be fine for some people but it's definitely NOT for me!"

sinus sufferer 55 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmentin for a severe sinus infection. After about 3 days of taking it, I developed this weird skin rash first on the knuckles of both of my ring fingers, then noticed I had the same spots on my knees in the same place on both knees. This spread to both of my elbows also and creeped me out a little so I just stopped taking the medicine altogether. It did seem to take the sinus infection away, but I make sure to tell my doctors I'm allergic to it now just in case I have a more severe reaction in the future. This rash just looked like red dots, no burning or itching either... Pretty strange."

LindsayNicole June 22, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I have had an upper back molar removed today due to a root abscess I didn't even know existed. My head felt like a pressure cooker, I got an ear infection and the mucus drainage was terrible. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a sinus infection, he told me to get my dentist to X-ray my teeth, which revealed a big abscess at the root. I Had been put on amoxicillin 500mg x3 daily but it wasn't doing a great deal after four days so my GP replaced it with Augmentin)500/125 X 3 daily and after another four days minus a molar the mucus and swelling have improved massively. I can breathe again, plus the head pressure has subsided. Works well at the moment with 3 days of the 7 day course remaining. Hope it works for you. GOOD HEALTH TO YOU ALL."

Anonymous May 6, 2014

"I felt so awful. I was exhausted. I couldn't focus. I started having some kind of hallucinations, it has been the worst experience. My eyes were in pain. I started on the medication yesterday and my symptoms are not completely gone but I feel so much better already! Thank goodness my doctor knew what to give me."

MMG09 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had a nasty sinus infection - my entire head seemed locked in a vacuum-grip of pressure, snot, and general awfulness. I felt dizzy, exhausted, irritated, and I think it even began to affect my thinking. I thought it was just a common cold but nope, the real deal. Augmentin 875, 2x/day for 10 days seems to have cleared it out, mostly. BUT HERE'S THE KEY, FOLKS --> Take a good probiotic every morning, about 3 or 4 hours before you take the first dose of Augmentin. Then, when it's time to take your Augmentin, take it with a LOT of food, and take it after the first or second bite of your meal. You'll get through it, and may it heal you as it seems to have healed me. No side effects for me, and I'm one sensitive, hypochondriacal mess normally!"

HoosierAnna March 6, 2014

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Amox-Clav 875mg for a mild sinus infection that was causing lots of pain in my sinus cavity by my right ear. I'm on day 4 and this is awful on my stomach. Nausea, bad taste in the back of my throat. I'm almost ready to stop taking it, don't know if I can take six more days of this but the pain by my ear is FINALLY gone."

Amanda B (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took this medicine for a sinus infection. Worked great for that but the side effects for me were unbearable. On day 7 of the medicine I had the worst stomach cramps that I have ever had and diarrhea. Sleepiness was a constant, slept all day and night. Had no desire to eat at all. Had chills, cough, fever, severe headaches, irritability, heartburn and greatly decreased frequency of urination. "

tnarmyman February 2, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had Sinusitis for ten days, finally went on Augmentin 1g, after a couple of days my symptoms had 80% resolved. I'm on day 4 now and all symptoms have 100% resolved. No side effects. Great antibiotic."

MarGuy1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Have acute sinusitis, with severe migraine, dizziness, facial pain, TMJ, eye swelling. Was prescribed Augmentin, seems to be working just after 1 days use! I already had severe stomach ache, doc said that's normal for acute sinusitis because all the dripping from the sinuses down our throats, which ends up stewing in our poor bellies! So I really notice no difference with tummyache yet."

ma2wycode (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2013