Nicoderm CQ patchPronunciation
Generic Name: nicotine (NIK-oh-teen)
Brand Name: Nicoderm CQ
Nicoderm CQ patch is used for:
Helping you to quit smoking.
Nicoderm CQ patch is a smoking deterrent. It works by providing low levels of nicotine, which may help you to quit smoking by lessening the physical signs of withdrawal symptoms.
Do NOT use Nicoderm CQ patch if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nicoderm CQ patch
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nicoderm CQ patch:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nicoderm CQ patch. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including adhesive tape)
- if you have skin problems at the application site
- if you have heart problems, irregular heartbeat, or if you have had a recent heart attack
- if you have high blood pressure
- you continue to smoke, chew tobacco, use snuff, or use any other nicotine-containing products (eg, nicotine gum)
- if you take medicine for asthma or depression, or if you are using another medicine to stop smoking
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nicoderm CQ patch. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if Nicoderm CQ patch may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nicoderm CQ patch:
Use Nicoderm CQ patch as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Nicoderm CQ patch. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Do not apply to skin that is oily, burned, irritated, or damaged in any way.
- Remove backing from patch and immediately press onto a clean, dry, hairless part of your upper arm or hip. Press firmly and count to 10 to be sure it sticks well.
- Wash your hands after applying or removing the patch.
- Apply a new patch at the same time each day. Be sure to use a different skin site to avoid skin irritation.
- Do not cut the patch in half or into smaller pieces.
- Do not wear more than 1 patch at a time.
- Wear each patch for 16 to 24 hours. Do not leave the patch on for more than 24 hours because it may irritate your skin and lose its strength.
- After removing the used patch, fold it in half with the sticky sides together. Discard the patch out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you miss a dose of Nicoderm CQ patch, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nicoderm CQ patch.
Important safety information:
- Nicoderm CQ patch comes in different strengths. Talk to your doctor about which strength is right for you.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 10 weeks without checking with your doctor. If you feel the need to take Nicoderm CQ patch after 10 weeks, check with your doctor.
- If you begin to have vivid dreams or other sleeping problems, remove the patch at bedtime (after wearing it for about 16 hours). Put on a new patch when you wake up the next day.
- Avoid getting Nicoderm CQ patch in your eyes. If you get Nicoderm CQ patch in your eyes, wash them out immediately with cool tap water.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products while you are using Nicoderm CQ patch. This includes times when you are not wearing the patch.
- Nicoderm CQ patch should be used as part of a larger program to help you stop smoking. If you need help choosing a program, talk with your health care provider.
- Tell your doctor, dentist, or other health care provider that you use Nicoderm CQ patch before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you will be having a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), tell your doctor that you use Nicoderm CQ patch. You may need to remove the patch before having the MRI.
- Nicoderm CQ patch may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you, a child, or a pet may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Use Nicoderm CQ patch with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Nicoderm CQ patch should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Nicoderm CQ patch may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nicoderm CQ patch while you are pregnant. Nicoderm CQ patch is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nicoderm CQ patch, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
When used for longer than a few weeks or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Nicoderm CQ patch. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
Do not suddenly stop taking Nicoderm CQ patch without your doctor's approval. If you do, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include anxiety, craving, impaired concentration, increased appetite, irritability, nervousness, sleep disturbances, and weight gain.
Possible side effects of Nicoderm CQ patch:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abnormal or vivid dreams; mild redness, itching, or burning at the application site; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; fast or irregular heartbeat; nausea; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; swelling or persistent (more than 4 days) redness at the application site; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nicoderm CQ patch:
Store Nicoderm CQ patch at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nicoderm CQ patch out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nicoderm CQ patch, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nicoderm CQ patch is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nicoderm CQ patch or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nicoderm CQ patch. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nicoderm CQ patch. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nicoderm CQ patch.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Nicoderm CQ (nicotine)
- Nicoderm C-Q Clear oral/patches/nasal
- Nicoderm C-Q Clear transdermal
- Nicoderm C-Q oral/patches/nasal
- Nicoderm C-Q transdermal
- Nicoderm transdermal
- More (2) »