ICHTHAMMOL GLYCERIN B.P.C
Active substance(s): ICHTHAMMOL
Ichthammol Glycerin BPC
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine because it contains important
information for you.
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist have
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
- You must talk to a doctor if your condition does not improve after using this medicine.
What is in this leaflet
1. What Ichthammol Glycerin is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use Ichthammol Glycerin
3. How to use Ichthammol Glycerin
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Ichthammol Glycerin
6. Contents of the pack and other information
1. WHAT ICHTHAMMOL GLYCERIN IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
The active ingredient in this medicine is Ichthammol.
Ichthammol is bacteriostatic and can slow down the growth of bacteria. It also contains glycerol
which provides a moisturising base and softens the skin.
It is used for the treatment of chronic eczema.
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU USE ICHTHAMMOL GLYCERIN
Do NOT use:
if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the active ingredient or to any of the other ingredients
(listed in Section 6).
Warnings and precautions
Do not use on broken skin.
Other medicines and Ichthammol Glycerin
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine.
3. HOW TO USE ICHTHAMMOL GLYCERIN
For external use on the skin only
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told
you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The recommended dose is:
Adults, the elderly and children under 12 years:
Apply 1-3 times daily to the affected skin.
If symptoms persist talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
If the product is taken accidentally by mouth, see your doctor immediately or go to your nearest
hospital casualty department. Take the product with you so that it can be identified.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Ichthammol Glycerin can cause side effects although not everybody gets them.
This medicine may occasionally cause skin irritation.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on
the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE THIS MEDICINE
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Store below 25°C.
Do not use after the expiry date on the label. The expiry date refers to the last day of that
6. CONTENTS OF THE PACK AND 0THER INFORMATION
What Ichthammol Glycerin contains:
The active ingredient Ichthammol 10% w/w.
The other ingredient is glycerol.
What Ichthammol Glycerin looks like and contents of the pack:
It is a viscous black liquid, available in bottles as dispensing packs of 500 ml and 2 litre and patient
packs of 200ml and 500ml. Not all packs may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder: Wise Pharmaceuticals Limited, Hani Wells Business Park,
Hardicker Street, Manchester M19 2RB
Manufacturer: Thorpe Laboratories Ltd, Enterprise Road, Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire LN12 1NB
This leaflet was last revised in January 2016.