UK Edition. Click here for US version.
BEECHAMS MAX STRENGTH ALL IN ONE CAPSULES HARD
Active substance(s): GUAIFENESIN / PARACETAMOL / PHENYLEPHRINE HYDROCHLORIDE
before you take Beechams Max Strength
All in One Capsules
ALL IN ONE
Paracetamol, Guaifenesin, Phenylephrine
Please read right through this leaflet before you start using
This medicine is available without prescription but you still
need to use Beechams Max Strength All in One Capsules
carefully to get the best results from them.
• Keep this leaflet you may need to read it again.
• If you have any questions or if there is anything you do
not understand ask your pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Beechams Max Strength All in One Capsules do
2. Check before you take Beechams Max Strength All in One
3. How to take Beechams Max Strength All in One Capsules
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Beechams Max Strength All in One Capsules
6. Further information
1. What Beechams Max Strength All in One
Beechams Max Strength All in One Capsules are used
for the relief of the symptoms of colds and flu and the pain
and congestion of sinusitis, including aches and pains,
headache, blocked nose and sore throat, chills and
feverishness. They can also loosen stubborn mucus (phlegm)
and provide relief from chesty coughs.
This medicine contains three active ingredients. Paracetamol
is a painkiller and reduces your temperature when you have
a fever. Guaifenesin is an expectorant which loosens
phlegm and relieves a chesty cough. Phenylephrine
hydrochloride is a decongestant which unblocks your nose
and sinuses helping you breathe more easily.
domperidone (for nausea [feeling sick] or vomiting [being
sick]), or ergotamine or methylsergide (for migraine), or
colestyramine (to lower blood cholesterol) or drugs to
lower blood pressure; appetite suppressants or stimulants;
drugs to treat depression such as tricyclic antidepressants
(e.g. amitriptyline) or heart disease (e.g. digoxin) or if you
take blood thinning drugs (anticoagulants e.g. warfarin).
Do not take Beechams Max Strength All in One
• if you have ever had an allergic reaction to
paracetamol, guaifenesin, phenylephrine
hydrochloride or to any of the other ingredients
(listed in section 6).
if you have kidney or liver problems (including alcoholic
liver disease), overactive thyroid, diabetes, high blood
pressure or heart disease
• if you have phaeochromocytoma or glaucoma
if you are taking tricyclic antidepressants or if you are
taking or if you have taken in the last two weeks
monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (e.g.
moclobemide) prescribed for depression
• if you are taking beta-blockers (e.g. atenolol).
Pregnancy and breast feeding
Talk to your doctor before taking this product if you are
pregnant or breast feeding.
3. How to take Beechams Max Strength All in One
Adults aged 16 years and over:
2 capsules every four hours as required. Do not
take more than 8 capsules (4 doses) in any 24
Do not give to children under 16 years.
Do not take anything else containing paracetamol while
taking this medicine.
Do not take with any other flu, cold, decongestant products or
• Do not take more frequently than every 4 hours.
• Do not take more than the recommended dose.
• Do not take for more than 5 days without
asking your doctor.
Take special care with Beechams Max Strength
All in One Capsules
If you take too many capsules
Talk to a doctor at once if you take too much of this
medicine, even if you feel well. This is because too much
paracetamol can cause delayed, serious liver damage.
• This product may cause dizziness. If affected do not drive
or operate machinery.
If symptoms persist, see your doctor.
Ask your doctor before you take this
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Beechams Max Strength All in One
Capsules can have side effects, but not everybody gets them.
• if you have been told by your doctor you have an
intolerance to some sugars
• if you have blood vessel disease such as Raynaud’s
• if you have an enlarged prostate
• if you have asthma or chronic cough.
Stop taking this medicine and tell your doctor immediately
if you experience:
• Allergic reactions which may be severe such as skin rash
and itching sometimes with swelling of the mouth or
face or shortness of breath.
• Skin rash or peeling, or mouth ulcers.
• Breathing problems. These are more likely if you have
experienced them before when taking other painkillers
such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
• Unexplained bruising or bleeding.
• Reoccurring fevers or infections.
If you are taking other medicines
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Beechams
Max Strength All in One Capsules if you are taking any
prescribed medicines; particularly metoclopramide or
• Nausea, sudden weight loss, loss of appetite and
yellowing of the eyes and skin.
• Visual disturbances. This is rare but is more likely in
those with glaucoma.
• Unusually fast pulse rate or sensation of an unusually
fast or irregular heartbeat.
• Difficulty passing water. This is more likely to occur in
men with an enlarged prostate gland.
The following side effects may also occur. Tell your doctor if
you get them:
• Raised blood pressure, headache, dizziness, difficulty
sleeping, nervousness, anxiety, diarrhoea or sickness.
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist
or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed
in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via
the Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more
information on the safety of this medicine.
5. How to store Beechams Max Strength All in One
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the ‘EXP’ date shown on the
pack. Do not store above 25°C.
6. Further information
Active ingredients Each capsule contains Paracetamol 500 mg,
Guaifenesin 100 mg and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 6.1 mg.
Other ingredients Maize starch, croscarmellose sodium,
sodium laurilsulfate, magnesium stearate and talc. The
capsule shell is made of gelatin and contains the colours
quinoline yellow (E 104), indigo carmine (E 132), erythrosine
(E 127) and titanium dioxide (E 171).
Pack sizes of 8, 16 and 24 capsules are available. Not all pack
sizes may be marketed.
The marketing authorisation holder is GlaxoSmithKline
Consumer Healthcare (UK) Trading Limited, 980 Great West
Road, Brentford, TW8 9GS and all enquiries should be sent
to this address.
The manufacturer is Perrigo, Braunton, Devon, EX33 2DL, U.K.
This leaflet was revised in March 2017.
Beechams is a registered trademark owned by or
licensed to the GSK group of companies.
Please turn over
Page 1 of 1
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.