Thrombin topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to thrombin topical: topical application powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, thrombin topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking thrombin topical:
- Difficulty breathing
- pain in the chest, groin, or legs, especially the calves
- severe, sudden headache
- slurred speech
- sudden loss of coordination
- sudden, severe weakness or numbness in the arm or leg
- sudden, unexplained shortness of breath
- vision changes
Some side effects of thrombin topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning feeling, redness, swelling, itching, or skin rash at the place of application
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to thrombin topical: nasal powder for reconstitution, topical kit, topical pad, topical powder for reconstitution, topical solution
Hematologic side effects including increased activated partial thromboplastin time, increased international normalized ratio, decreased lymphocyte count, prolonged prothrombin time, and increased neutrophil count have been reported.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea and vomiting have been reported.
Local side effects including incision site complications have been reported.[Ref]
Immunologic side effects including antibody development have been reported.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects including hypersensitivity reactions have been reported.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Recothrom (thrombin topical)." ZymoGenetics Inc, Seattle, WA.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about thrombin topical
- Thrombin (Human)
- Thrombin (Recombinant)
- Thrombin (Topical)
- Thrombin human, recombinant Topical application (Advanced Reading)
- Thrombin (AHFS Monograph)
- Thrombin (Recombinant) (AHFS Monograph)
- Thrombin (Topical) (Wolters Kluwer)