Sodium acetate Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to sodium acetate: intravenous solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of fluid and electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, very bad dizziness or passing out, fast heartbeat, more thirst, seizures, feeling very tired or weak, not hungry, unable to pass urine or change in the amount of urine produced, dry mouth, dry eyes, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sodium acetate: compounding powder, intravenous solution
Metabolic side effects have included sodium overload, especially with intravenous administration of excessive amounts of sodium-containing solutions.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Sodium Acetate (sodium acetate)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about sodium acetate
- Sodium acetate Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes