Femstat Prefill Side Effects
Generic Name: butoconazole topical
Note: This page contains information about the side effects of butoconazole topical. Some of the dosage forms included on this document may not apply to the brand name Femstat Prefill.
For the Consumer
Applies to butoconazole topical: intravaginal cream
Side effects include:
Vulvar/vaginal burning, itching, soreness and swelling, pelvic or abdominal pain or cramping.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to butoconazole topical: vaginal cream
Discontinuation of butoconazole due to adverse effects occurs in less than 2% of patients.
Local side effects have been reported the most frequently. These have involved the genitourinary and occur in less than 5% of patients. Reported effects include burning, itching, pain, and irritation.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included headache.[Ref]
Thrombocytopenia developed one week after beginning butoconazole. It resolved slowly over the next few weeks after drug discontinuation.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included thrombocytopenia.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included pelvic and abdominal pain or cramping.[Ref]
1. Ruf H, Vitse M "A comparison of butoconazole nitrate cream with econazole nitrate cream for the treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis." J Int Med Res 18 (1990): 389-99
2. "Butoconazole or vulvovaginal candidiasis." Med Lett Drugs Ther 28 (1986): 68
3. "Product Information. Femstat (butoconazole)." Syntex Laboratories Inc, Palo Alto, CA.
4. Brown D Jr, Henzl MR, LePage ME, Tsao LL, Izu AE, Walker KA, Adamson GD, Droegmuller W "Butoconazole vaginal cream in the treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis. Comparison with miconazole nitrate and placebo." J Reprod Med 31 (1986): 1045-8
5. Maloley PA, Nelson E, Montgomery HA, Campbell JR "Severe reversible thrombocytopenia resulting from butoconazole cream." DICP 24 (1990): 143-4
Not all side effects for Femstat Prefill may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about Femstat Prefill (butoconazole topical)
- Other brands: Gynazole-1
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.